League system dropped?

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

With the recent announcement of the world tournaments and pvp exclusive gear, I can’t shake the feeling that they dropped the idea of a league/ladder system or atleast pushed it back a lot.

Putting in an exclusive armorset is nice and good but you’re putting it behind a time-gate only. Everyone can farm hotjoin/solo arena’s to get it. On the other hand, you put another exclusive armorset behind an ‘extreme’ skill-gate/effort. There is no middle ground and I think it’s that middle ground which is very important. With leagues/ladders you can award time and skill accordingly for every layer and thus create incentive to play more and better which would be healthy for a competitive scene.

Participating in RL events and even the online organized (not automated) tournaments are very demanding for a lot of players. I’m completely in favor of rewarding them with in-game exclusive cosmetics alongside a money reward, with a focus on the latter.

Maybe you’ll surprise us in a later release this week with a league system, but I doubt it.

I’m glad we’re getting something. It’s still a decent step in the right direction.

Anyone agrees on this? Is arenanet afraid to put a (balanced) skill-focused incentive in the game?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

There’s still a lot to be announced, we presume that today’s announcement is only partially of what PvP is going to get.

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I agree but announcements are not over.

I hope they can add seasons and league or it’s a total fail.

League system dropped?

in PvP

butch.8136

I hope so to, it’s just the wording and the announcing of the exclusives that worries me. Why announce those and say how we’ll get them before announcing seasons/ladders (if they planned ‘em this release). Maybe they would be separate of the seasons/ladders then, but you need to have some rewarding structure…. We’ll see.

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

We’ll see how this Tournament of Glory will be handled.

It’d be so straightforward and easy to do something like this:

- Quarterly regional ladders (EU/NA/CH)
- Top 8 team at the end of the quarter will play play-offs, to decide the team to send to the Beijing live competition (or maybe 2 teams per region)
- Grand final live in Beijing.

Ofc this system should be tied to single guilds, exactly as it was in GW1: single guild/single ladder score.

After the grand final, reset the ladders. Job done without worrying about subscriptions etc.

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I’m sure we’ll get a league system one patch, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up for this feature patch.

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: Anti.9156

Anti.9156

I hope they can add seasons and league or it’s a total fail.

What they announced in 2 days is more than most of the pvp community excpected from them. So we should be thankful about that and the we should say that the patch is a fail at all

To the league thing:
It would be cool to see it but i think a leaderboard rework will do fine too (just a permanent decay). I think there are not enough teams for a league system. Just look how easy it is to get into top100 teamq leaderboard. Also its kinda hard to do a league system for teams bc that would nail teams down and delete pugging

And to the people complaining about having no “middle” ground skill based reward:
I am pretty sure you can get parts of the set at the ToG. I think they will hand out a full set to the winner, maybe 3 parts to the second and so on

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

So, another www season and no season/league for the “competitive” pvp side of the game.

What a delusion this feature patch.

League system dropped?

in PvP

butch.8136

It seems indeed a bit light for pvp and WvW. Maybe something will pop in the next two weeks but I doubt it.

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: Ristillath.6745

Ristillath.6745

Yeah i had more hope for spvp so far, we will see what happens the next 2 weeks but standard model are at least something ^^.

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Stop letting them string you along. This world tournament stuff is more shiny stuff to distract you while rome burns.

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Anet devs can say “oh you don’t understand what we meant by high level players, what are leagues again?” a quote from 2013! : https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/player-vs-player-rewards-roadmap/. It has been 9 months if you want to push this out after the feature patch but: The final stage of our rewards overhaul will be ladders. Players will be divided into divisions and will earn points for playing to work their way up the ladder. At the end of a season, players will earn PvP-specific rewards both for their ladder standings and for their level of participation. Ladders will replace existing leaderboards.: You said this in December 2013 if you want to make up some system where you earn this after finishing 5.5 surgeries, it isn’t worth it.!!!!

League system dropped?

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

Ofc this system should be tied to single guilds, exactly as it was in GW1: single guild/single ladder score.

it should, it definitely should be, but i think there is a big issue and maybe the reason why it isn’t already there: how to handle team/guild/members?
is guild=team?
should a guild be allowed to run more teams?
is a team allowed to have subs? how many?
is a player allowed to be in multiple teams? how many?
for how long does a player have to be guildmember to join a team?

thats all i got from the top of my head, but these are things they need to look into, especially to prevent dead unplayed teams rotting in the league/ladder-system.

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”