Let's be honest

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: DoYourBestBear.6810

DoYourBestBear.6810

A number of players…a vast number…have been complaining about elements of power creep proliferating within the PvP environment of the game.

One of my friends made me watch the Ready Up! discussion about engineers and rangers. Really, I can’t say I’m surprised, but my hope is that, at the very least, people realize that these increases in power in order for a stronger foothold viability-wise is only because of how much of an outlier other classes/skills/traits are.

Also, all of those ranger buffs…roflmao – I could say I really want to know how you all came to that conclusion but I already know how all those changes came to be.

This like watching someone mercilessly beating my child and I can’t do anything but say “whelp, hopefully it will be painless.”

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Signet BM ranger…

I can almost taste the tears.

Phaatonn, London UK

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: SunnyLane.9386

SunnyLane.9386

lets buff zerker so they will left bunker specs
then everyone make a zerker ranger or engi,
get rekt by thief and back to your bunker again.
(sry for bad english).

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Avitori.6093

Avitori.6093

Dat machine gun longbow tho

also
#euratienhype

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: HPLT.7132

HPLT.7132

They will never nerf….buffing is the only way to satisfy pve’ers. Its like watching the Dragonball series.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Ranger doesn’t need more damage, it needs more burst.

Engineer needs more mechanics that doesn’t reward constant damage application.

ArenaNet, lrn how 2 combat design.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

What they are doing is good . Buffing dem full zerk builds. No more trash camping a node for 2 + hours.

The problem is they are buffing them wrong. They need bursting ability not an overall damage increase.

It’s like looking at Warrior and nerfing Healing Signet despite the problem being Endure Pain and Zerker Stance.

Oh wait…

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

What they are doing is good . Buffing dem full zerk builds. No more trash camping a node for 2 + hours.

The problem is they are buffing them wrong. They need bursting ability not an overall damage increase.

It’s like looking at Warrior and nerfing Healing Signet despite the problem being Endure Pain and Zerker Stance.

Oh wait…

Warriors are in a great spot atm lol, only bad players have real problems with them… oh

Let's be honest

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

Oh wait…

Warriors are in a great spot atm lol, only bad players have real problems with them… oh

I’m not sure what is funnier, you thinking Warriors are in a good spot or you thinking I am bad. I’ll be happy to prove you wrong.

Play a Warrior, don’t use a Longbow and tell me they are in a good spot. I assure you The Master of Longbows are not in a good spot.

Back on topic, Rangers need a buff but once again, ArenaNet is buffing wrong.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Zirith.6429

Rangers got quite a bit of extra bursting ability, like a ton actually. The gigantic buff to signets, the 10% player and 5% pet damage boost in its place, the reduced cast time on lb 2/5 the might stacks from axe all mean tons of extra burst. Even if zerker ranger stays with gs over axe they still have cleaner after casts on the 2 clunkier skills and more evades which will lead to more damage before needing to run out of melee. (since if they are in melee and see something they need to dodge they can now just use gs3 and automatically avoid the attack)

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

All I can say is for how much ANet might not balance the game perfectly, I’m much happier that the forums aren’t in control of balance.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

All I can say is for how much ANet might not balance the game perfectly, I’m much happier that the forums aren’t in control of balance.

This post is almost poetic, it could go in someone’s signature.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

Rangers got quite a bit of extra bursting ability, like a ton actually. The gigantic buff to signets, the 10% player and 5% pet damage boost in its place, the reduced cast time on lb 2/5 the might stacks from axe all mean tons of extra burst. Even if zerker ranger stays with gs over axe they still have cleaner after casts on the 2 clunkier skills and more evades which will lead to more damage before needing to run out of melee. (since if they are in melee and see something they need to dodge they can now just use gs3 and automatically avoid the attack)

Hitting 4k, 5 times in a row is not a BURST.
Hitting 10k in a single hit, is a BURST.

Get it right.

The point is players have to much reaction time to ranger attacks being to heavily reliant on their auto attacks.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Rangers have been pretty heavily nerfed in the past though.

They used to have quickness on pet swap as a 5 point trait, a GM trait that transferred all conditions to pet every 10 secs, healing spring removed more conditions and lasted longer, and shortbow fired much faster and had a longer range, maybe others I forget now.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Hitting 4k, 5 times in a row is not a BURST.
Hitting 10k in a single hit, is a BURST.

Get it right.

The point is players have to much reaction time to ranger attacks being to heavily reliant on their auto attacks.

Burst is not determined by the number of hits, it’s determined by the amount of time and damage. 4k 5x in 10s is constant damage. 4k x5 in 2s is burst. The buff to rapid fire gives rangers more burst, however you’re correct that it will also be easier to dodge. In a 1v1 it will be harder to land but in 2v2+ it will dish out a ton of damage.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Zirith.6429

If the enemy is aware of you in a 5v5 as a zerker ranger then you are doing it terribly wrong. Get a team mate or a pet to land immob on the target and rail them with a super fast lb2 and say that isnt burst lol. and it was said that they were not getting that much burst but they got a substantial boost in burst ie more damage less time.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

A number of players…a vast number…have been complaining about elements of power creep proliferating within the PvP environment of the game.

One of my friends made me watch the Ready Up! discussion about engineers and rangers. Really, I can’t say I’m surprised, but my hope is that, at the very least, people realize that these increases in power in order for a stronger foothold viability-wise is only because of how much of an outlier other classes/skills/traits are.

Also, all of those ranger buffs…roflmao – I could say I really want to know how you all came to that conclusion but I already know how all those changes came to be.

This like watching someone mercilessly beating my child and I can’t do anything but say “whelp, hopefully it will be painless.”

Well said. Power creep. I have been saying it for a long time on these forums. But 95% of players don’t like the truth. I would nerf everything and then maybe the game can become more fun (whenever you say to nerf their class they take it personally). The power creep is absurd.

Imagine a glass cannon 100b warrior in this time? It gets destroyed. Everything is too much damage, too much survival, too many condis, too many cleanses, too much healing, too many boons, too much of everything.

But things won’t change. Anet only balance one way, and that is buffing everything I think.

Every class is too strong based on power creep. Balanced? yes. Fun/skill based? no

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Yasha.5963

But things won’t change. Anet only balance one way, and that is buffing everything I think.

I just ran off a list of major nerfs to the ranger- how can you persist in saying that? What of your favorite class, the necro, that you have been complaining about recently due to a nerf?

Thieves have also been consistently nerfed since the game began. Ele got huge nerfs at one point.

I don’t know where this image of ANET does not nerf comes from when they unequivocally do nerf, and often hard.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

I just ran off a list of major nerfs to the ranger- how can you persist in saying that? What of your favorite class, the necro, that you have been complaining about recently due to a nerf?

Thieves have also been consistently nerfed since the game began. Ele got huge nerfs at one point.

I don’t know where this image of ANET does not nerf comes from when they unequivocally do nerf, and often hard.

Everything should be nerfed, necro included. Are you saying that that hasn’t been massive power creep?

Let's be honest

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Everything should be nerfed, necro included. Are you saying that that hasn’t been massive power creep?

I am saying exactly what I said- How can you people claim that “Anet only balance one way, and that is buffing everything” when there have been so many major nerfs?

I pointed to necro only to illustrate that even a class you are very familiar with has had a heavy nerf.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

I am saying exactly what I said- How can you people claim that “Anet only balance one way, and that is buffing everything” when there have been so many major nerfs?

I pointed to necro only to illustrate that even a class you are very familiar with has had a heavy nerf.

It was a generalisation. If you nerf thief in 1 way and they buff initative regain by 33% then that is a net buff. If you nerf necro in one way but then make death shroud super tanky then that is a net buff.

So are you saying that anet doesn’t just balance by buffing everything? i.e. are you saying that there hasn’t been massive power creep in the game?

Let's be honest

in PvP

Yasha.5963

It was a generalisation. If you nerf thief in 1 way and they buff initative regain by 33% then that is a net buff. If you nerf necro in one way but then make death shroud super tanky then that is a net buff.

So are you saying that anet doesn’t just balance by buffing everything? i.e. are you saying that there hasn’t been massive power creep in the game?

They nerf and buff, they don’t just buff everything as a way of balancing. You said: “Anet only balance one way, and that is buffing everything”. There is no hint of generalization, it is just a flat out incorrect and misleading statement.

And no I don’t think there has been a “massive” power creep in the game. Some builds are much stronger than they used to be, others much weaker.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: aussieheals.6843

aussieheals.6843

Regardless of the length of cast on the long bow, the ranger in any situation where they cant just sit back and pew pew (remembering the damage hasn’t been increased at long range anyway) requires the ranger to stand completely still while casting or there is a very high risk of the cast being cancelled or going on cool down without even firing a shot.

Because (imo) this mechanic is still a little broken, the damage boost in close range balances the risk you take while standing still. Therefore making the longbow a viable option in high end pvp.

Aside from this buff there is an increase in viable power builds (note: builds not additional damage), but it comes at a serious cost of condition removal or other such defences should a player choose to spec that way.

Yes the signets are arguably adding defence but at a loss of some some other great traits as well therefore keeping balance within the class but adding options at the same time.

What I like about this is, the viability of more than one strong build on the class. This opens us up to a world were teams using strategy and specing for the right map against the right team etc.

Map awareness will need to increase as the sneaky ranger sits back, though easily counter-able if you shut him down.

Finally, I honestly think the new trait is only going to be prominent in pve so nothing to whing about there.

TLDR: Lets face it, any ranger with 30 points in marksman no matter how strong they are, is going to have some extreme weakness so the law of natural selection will keep your ‘power creep’ (introduced from these changes) in check.

IGN: Aussie Archer

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Well put, Bear. These buffs are going to be a little bit over the top, and it will get really annoying getting spiked from 1500 (actually 1800 range as all skills are given 20% extra leeway) will be super-annoying, and many classes won’t even have anyway to get into the fight. Zerker ranger is already at a good power level in terms of dps, just having the extra survivability from signets would have been excellent.

The only reason this won’t be a thing, as you alluded to, is thief. This is already true for so many other classes too: Is there a thief? If so play tanky, if not, burst is ok. The root reason zerker ranger struggled is thief. Just buffing everything while not fixing the problem just makes the game stupid in the end.

I swear Anet buffs like this: slow and steady for a while, eventually gets frustrated and way over-buffs (or over-nerfs) something and then let’s it ruin the game for another 6-8 months. Not saying rangers are going to ruin the game, but the level of power they will have (combined with all the + damage % modifiers) will have some broken build in there somewhere.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

This thread gave me a headache…

Rangers don’t need more damage, they need burst!
Anet changed Rapid Fire to give burst at the expense of no additional damage.
No! Rangers didn’t need that!

These changes are pretty reasonable overall and I’d bet money that the LB glass Ranger phenomenom that you all think is going to take over all of PvP will last a week tops before people realize this patch offered far more to condi BM builds than power Marks builds.

Let's be honest

in PvP

DoYourBestBear.6810

The people who could assist in balancing this game are mostly gone. The remaining few could assist in balancing just don’t give a kitten anymore because you have a philosophy major trying to balance a game that requires at least a minor in math.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

GW2 has always been just online rock-paper-scissors with more colors and particle effects. You should know by now that choice and player skill is an illusion of this game. Honestly, you should be grateful that anet is speeding up fights so that your in-combat choices are trivialized faster. Who would want to play a game of rock-paper-scissors in which when someone beats you, you both have to stand there for another 5 minutes to reflect on your match? I wouldn’t, and apparently anet doesn’t want you to do that either. It’s a good change.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Swagg.9236

The people who could assist in balancing this game are mostly gone. The remaining few could assist in balancing just don’t give a kitten anymore because you have a philosophy major trying to balance a game that requires at least a minor in math.

What a joke. Game balance is just basic logic wrapped in world building. It’s not something for which someone has to go to school for—much less into a specific field.

Let's be honest

in PvP

DoYourBestBear.6810

Yea, no kittening kitten. But you kind of need a clue to do that.

kittening imbecile.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

Its like watching the Dragonball series.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Swagg.9236

Yea, no kittening kitten. But you kind of need a clue to do that.

kittening imbecile.

Just because you’ve never seen something done right doesn’t mean that that thing isn’t easy to do. No need to get so upset.

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

Dat machine gun longbow tho

also
#euratienhype

Hmmm gw1 which = been there, done that and seen it nerf hammered….

Its like watching the Dragonball series.

The classics….rahahahahaha!!!

(edited by The Primary.6371)

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

We told them guys

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

Let's be honest

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

We told them guys

We can all see what the balance team is doing, it’s JUST like football except all the football players are riding horses. To make football more interesting, they made all the pro athletes ride horses.

At the start everyone is knocked around to the ground, people getting their helmets smashed in by 3-4 different horses flailing about wildly. No one can tell what is going on in the massive pile of screaming horses and football players struggling to do anything. The fortunate players not caught in the chaos cannot seem to accomplish any task as their horse panics, runs around and refuses to listen, thus making plays lasting 5-10 minutes of absolutely nothing happening. All the while the poor viewers are wondering who the heck thought a 15 minute train wreck was a good idea as the game interests plummets to the ground. Finally the creators scratch their heads being confused of why people don’t like it.

Ultimately, it will be the most watched thing on TV for a week or two before people start getting angry that the crap still has a time slot on TV and just wants the “super fun new sport!” advertisements to die.

Just ignore all of the current and growing issues and remember Esports. It doesn’t matter that power creep is removing the risk/reward factor, combat tactics and challenge of timing key attacks because Esports.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

This game is just full of kids who cares. Other games are more fun and most of us earn more than some low end tourney.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

We told them guys

We can all see what the balance team is doing, it’s JUST like football except all the football players are riding horses. To make football more interesting, they made all the pro athletes ride horses.

At the start everyone is knocked around to the ground, people getting their helmets smashed in by 3-4 different horses flailing about wildly. No one can tell what is going on in the massive pile of screaming horses and football players struggling to do anything. The fortunate players not caught in the chaos cannot seem to accomplish any task as their horse panics, runs around and refuses to listen, thus making plays lasting 5-10 minutes of absolutely nothing happening. All the while the poor viewers are wondering who the heck thought a 15 minute train wreck was a good idea as the game interests plummets to the ground. Finally the creators scratch their heads being confused of why people don’t like it.

Ultimately, it will be the most watched thing on TV for a week or two before people start getting angry that the crap still has a time slot on TV and just wants the “super fun new sport!” advertisements to die.

Just ignore all of the current and growing issues and remember Esports. It doesn’t matter that power creep is removing the risk/reward factor, combat tactics and challenge of timing key attacks because Esports.

So gw2 esports pvp = The Kardashians….

Harsh

Let's be honest

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

It doesn’t matter that power creep is removing the risk/reward factor, combat tactics and challenge of timing key attacks because Esports.

Why should i be aware on my surroundings while in combat, despite stowing weapon is much more skillful play than that.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.