Nov 15 is make or break time

in PvP

Posted by: Nyarlathotep.9702

Nyarlathotep.9702

If the 15 nov pvp patch is lackluster, guild wars 2 will pretty much lose that side of the game probably until a new expansion comes up. Now from my position I really don’t care about that much, I only really play anymore because some of my friends are still around and I won’t buy another Arena Net product at face value ever again. I was quite excited for the pvp aspect of GW2 based on what I have heard about GW1 so I pre-ordered….quite a mistake, should have waited a week, probably wouldn’t have bought it.

The pvp content is abysmal and quite frankly unfinished (Maybe they rushed, maybe they ran out of money, maybe they really thought this was good. Not my problem) and anyone who says it’s good is either blind, a fanboy or just trolling (The Just “2 and a half months released! Give it more time” is pitiful and people who say this clearly have no idea how the industry release schedule works and how important the first 2 weeks after release are)

Overall, I don’t think the game will die, these types rarely do so fast, but pve will basically be it’s life line (funny how the game is called guild wars) and that’s a heavy load to carry. Heart of the mists is nearly empty all the time and barely gets better during prime time across the majority of servers.

in PvP

Posted by: Aga.8641

Aga.8641

It is fairly clear that PvP in gw2 was kind of an afterthought, so we just got lumbered with the very boring and repetitive PvP we have now.

I feel sorry for the few PvP devs, as when the PvP dies out in GW2 (likely happening very soon unless big changes are made and fast…) they will be out of a job, and gw2 will continue as a PvE game.

in PvP

Posted by: Corebot.2701

Corebot.2701

It is fairly clear that PvP in gw2 was kind of an afterthought, so we just got lumbered with the very boring and repetitive PvP we have now.

I feel that pvp is out of whack and there needs to be some new pvp match types, but to say that pvp is an afterthought is a bit silly.

GW2’s stated goal for longevity has been esport PVP.

in PvP

Posted by: Angry Flying Squirrel.3041

Angry Flying Squirrel.3041

I feel that pvp is out of whack and there needs to be some new pvp match types, but to say that pvp is an afterthought is a bit silly.

Right their stated goal. But actions speak louder than words and what they have done shows that PvP was an afterthought.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

Sadly, sadly I must agree to a certain extent.
Gw2 lacks more game modes in PvP.
1. Add different modes on the current maps
2. Tone!!!!!!!!!’down thieves! By Dwayna! Tone them down Anet.
3. Add a penalty for leavers.
4. Add the /fame emote from gw1 to display your rank.

If Anet devs manage to do the above, I swear more people will be attracted to gw2 PvP.
DIVA

in PvP

Aga.8641

I have high hopes of becoming the first man to step foot on a planet in a different solar system…..There I can spew out unrealistic hope/dreams/aspirations aswell.

I think the e-sport boat for gw2 has set sail, there wasn’t enough pvp content in as release, so people got bored and quit and have now lost all interest. It’s a good thing that gw2 doesn’t have monthly, so people can still come back and try whenever they please, but from what I’ve heard and seen in terms of pvp content, it won’t matter…Shouldn’t have to pay to have organised scrims, even in gw1 you could hop into your guild hall and then go into your own private instance.

in PvP

Posted by: Zunhar.4079

Zunhar.4079

ANet is focusing on PvE because that is what makes them money. Not being mean or anything, but they are a company and they have bills and salaries to pay. sPvP does not make ANet any money at all (no sub fee), but people are willing to spend money in PvE at the cash shop.
Some new game modes and maps would do wonders for the PvP’s health, however.

in PvP

Aga.8641

Not being mean or anything, but they are a company and they have bills and salaries to pay.

Umm….How many copies of gw2 sold? And how many gems have been bought IG? I don’t know the exact numbers but I’m pretty sure the salaries are already paid for bro.

in PvP

ANet is focusing on PvE because that is what makes them money. Not being mean or anything, but they are a company and they have bills and salaries to pay. sPvP does not make ANet any money at all (no sub fee), but people are willing to spend money in PvE at the cash shop.

They sold the game as having strong pvp. Many people payed for a game just for pvp. Sadly that did not happen. If anything PvP’ers got ripped off by A.Net.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

ANet is focusing on PvE because that is what makes them money.

Nevermind the fact that they probably want to keep everyone happy so they sell more expansions which is going to be their largest source of income. I’m sure you’re right though…

I don’t think it’s make or break, but spvp does need to be looked at seriously. I do wvw most of the time, just because structured is a mess and lacks content.

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

in PvP

Posted by: Xaximbo.2763

Xaximbo.2763

if you are playing hot join gw2 pvp is kittening boring, if you are playing tpvp might be funny but it gets repetitive , specially when you stomp everyone (which is not my case yet) .

This game needs a rank system, a ladder a deathmatch mode and some “fun modes” even the halloween stuff with some tuning can be funny to play.

in PvP

Posted by: Nero.8623

Nero.8623

I’m a pvper— I don’t feel like I got ripped off by Anet. Then again I play the game and adapt to what it currently is as opposed to complaining about how I feel it should be.

If anyone actually believes that one patch will make them a lot better at the game (as this seems to be what a lot of people believe aka by changing the classes and fixing theirs they will finally be amazing) they couldn’t be further from the truth. There will always be something you want to have changed. There will always be something you don’t agree with.

in PvP

I’m a pvper— I don’t feel like I got ripped off by Anet. Then again I play the game and adapt to what it currently is as opposed to complaining about how I feel it should be.

If anyone actually believes that one patch will make them a lot better at the game (as this seems to be what a lot of people believe aka by changing the classes and fixing theirs they will finally be amazing) they couldn’t be further from the truth. There will always be something you want to have changed. There will always be something you don’t agree with.

Who is saying they will be a better player after a patch? Can the game be better? God we can hope so.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

The pvp content is abysmal and quite frankly unfinished (Maybe they rushed, maybe they ran out of money, maybe they really thought this was good. Not my problem) and anyone who says it’s good is either blind, a fanboy or just trolling (The Just “2 and a half months released! Give it more time” is pitiful and people who say this clearly have no idea how the industry release schedule works and how important the first 2 weeks after release are)

But what about releasing date schedule? You must release on a date, and you release what you have. Besides, i think the first 2 weeks went awesome.

On the other hand, i think i havent seen a MMORPG that started awesomely, even less to have a settled pvp stance in less than a year. This things TAKE time man, you want to believe it or not.

in PvP

But what about releasing date schedule? You must release on a date, and you release what you have. Besides, i think the first 2 weeks went awesome.

On the other hand, i think i havent seen a MMORPG that started awesomely, even less to have a settled pvp stance in less than a year. This things TAKE time man, you want to believe it or not.

What happened to their line of releasing the game when its ready? Your even admitting that the pvp aspect of the game was not ready. So they released the game when it was not ready.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Mura.8673

Mura.8673

I’m not sure what you are waiting for if you’re not happy with pvp in this game. I’m a pvp’er and I have totally enjoyed wvw/spvp/tpvp.

so what exactly are you waiting for? More spvp maps? Sure I could see that a few more would be nice. What else? Clarify.

I want leaderboards for spvp and wvw. I want player killing points for wvw. But in the meantime I’m having so much fun killing people that waiting a while for those is fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Zunhar.4079

Zunhar.4079

They sold the game as having strong pvp. Many people payed for a game just for pvp. Sadly that did not happen. If anything PvP’ers got ripped off by A.Net.

I only PvP and I am having loads of fun. Could it be better? Absolutely. Am I dissapointed with the lack of modes/maps and no ladder? Yes. I don’t feel like I got ripped off, I just feel like PvP is getting the short end of the stick (as always). I’m just saying WHY ANet isn’t focusing as much on PvP as many people (myself in included) would like.

in PvP

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

What happened to their line of releasing the game when its ready? Your even admitting that the pvp aspect of the game was not ready. So they released the game when it was not ready.

I’m not defending their position, i’m telling you how things are. The “when its ready” phrase could have been merely a marketing thing or they got pressure from somewhere and they had to release it. Or they could have thought that the game being at 90-95% was ready enough.

The PvP is raw from the point that the system for Spvp is not well thought, its more rewarding to skirmish than winning. The Tpvp part is something you are pretty much only able to see when people starts playing it and makes the best combos they find, in this case the bunker type. Or maybe they intended it in some way, who knows, im speculating.

in PvP

Posted by: admiralnlson.2380

admiralnlson.2380

A lot of people have been saying this on the forums but I’ve never read/heard ANet say or insinuate this ever.. Can I get a direct quote please?

EDIT: OK found one by Jon Peters..:

We consider it to be one of the primary goals of Guild Wars 2 competitive PvP to make it into an eSport […] We plan to have daily tournaments, monthly tourneys and a yearly world championship. I can’t give out tons of details on these yet, but I just wanted you guys to know that we plan to have these things and support them.

Well…. Let’s just say I don’t take Jon’s words for granted anymore…
I got burnt with the whole “Play your way” thing. I still miss the trait system from BWE1.. And I still don’t accept his reasons behind the new system. I feel so limited in my build choices now, and I mean not just in PvP, but PvE too.

(edited by admiralnlson.2380)

in PvP

Posted by: Tarisuca.3142

Tarisuca.3142

Long time ago I believed in anet making a nice PvP game. But now………..

Just want to leave a question here:
“When was the last time that somebody praised GW2 PvP?”

GW1: Tarisuka The Monk, GW2: Warmonk Tarisuca
Get Ready Save Glory Boost [GrDy] RiP

in PvP

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

Original poster is right that they’re running out of goodwill and time to make the PVP in this game more engaging and balanced.

in PvP

Posted by: Yenkin.5410

Yenkin.5410

While I do jump into WvWvW occasionally, after a few tries playing PvP the current model is underwhelming. While I like PvP in general, many games do them much better. Presonally I think RIFT had one of the best models but SWTOR was not bad either but it took them a couple of months and a few patches and changes to make it better. My biggest beef is that PvP should have some real PvE benefits, maybe a rank, items you can purchase with pvp points. Even WOW has that. I think with all the MMO’s and models on PvP out there, GW2 missed the mark. However, maybe in a patch or two this will reslove itself.

in PvP

Posted by: merry.3247

merry.3247

you should take your break right now guys, 15 nov patch will be a pve one with a crappy event related to the gem store

in PvP

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Pretty sure Anet spent a lot of time on WvW, which is a type of PvP play. To say that PvP is an after thought because your prefered style isn’t adequately represented is unfair. Game launched with 3 kinds of PvP play. And they’re working on more now.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

PvP is great. Good enough for me to invest 250 hours. Problem is meta has finished evolving so soon. More builds need to be viable
Right now there’s like 5 at high level of my play? Lol

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in PvP

Aga.8641

Pretty sure Anet spent a lot of time on WvW, which is a type of PvP play. To say that PvP is an after thought because your prefered style isn’t adequately represented is unfair. Game launched with 3 kinds of PvP play. And they’re working on more now.

WvW is primarily PvE, which is why it seems more polished then PvP.

The devs at ANet just thought that having the 1 game mode and no decent rewards from PvP would be enough to keep people busy until they released more content…Obviously they were wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

No it isn’t, it is PvP, which is why it is in the PvP section of this forum, PvP does not mean player hitting player, it means player competing against player.

As for all the comments about them making their money from PvE, I thought the stated intent was to make tPvP an esport and make money from that (hence the one mode, LoL coped fine with one mode and people still play that far more than anything else), the problem is currently it seems a billion miles away from an esport and with only one mode and terrible PvP you get in hotjoin from sticking 16 people on a 10 man map, they can’t keep people playing just for fun either.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in PvP

No it isn’t, it is PvP, which is why it is in the PvP section of this forum, PvP does not mean player hitting player, it means player competing against player.

As for all the comments about them making their money from PvE, I thought the stated intent was to make tPvP an esport and make money from that (hence the one mode, LoL coped fine with one mode and people still play that far more than anything else), the problem is currently it seems a billion miles away from an esport and with only one mode and terrible PvP you get in hotjoin from sticking 16 people on a 10 man map, they can’t keep people playing just for fun either.

The difference is that LoL one mode has way way way more depth than GW2’s capture mode will ever have.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Sylosi.6503

The difference is that LoL one mode has way way way more depth than GW2’s capture mode will ever have.

I agree the LoL mode has a bit more depth, but then that is offset in some ways by it being very simplistic in other ways – the combat for example.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in PvP

Aga.8641

You win WvW by PvE’ing, you can’t win it by PvP’ing.

in PvP

Sylosi.6503

No you don’t, there is no PvE in it, it is all PvP, everything from direct combat with other players, to organisation/strategy, to whacking down a tower door quicker than the opposing team can rebuild/get there/defend and so on.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in PvP

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

No you don’t, there is no PvE in it, it is all PvP, everything from direct combat with other players, to organisation/strategy, to whacking down a tower door quicker than the opposing team can rebuild/get there/defend and so on.

wow, you mean those guards and doors that the nightcrews have to fight and thereby get their servers half the points are actualy controlled by players, didn’t know that.

in PvP

Posted by: Marklar.2670

Marklar.2670

The only thing i really hate about pvp is how GAURDIANS can sit ther with 3-4 people trying to kill them for like 3 minutes it bs and is destroying pvp fix it or pvp will die and will die fast

in PvP

Posted by: Umweltplakette.2109

Umweltplakette.2109

Why doesn’t it work as usual in Conquering modes?

1 Guardian shouldn’t be able to hold a point for his team if there are 3 enemys on the same point. Outnumbering > Bunkers … so that the team with more players on a node will cap it sooner or later. Guess this would make this mode much more fun since this kitteny “Put a bunker on a point until the whole team arrives and just camp 2 nodes” would end! … they could make it so that you cap a point slower if there’s a bunker on it but it simply shouldn’t be impossible to cap it if the enemy doesn’t have the equal number of players on the node.

in PvP

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

its sad to read how pvp and pve world are always against each other.

pvp players think that game is unbalanced because is based around pve
pve players think that the game is getting worse and worse for the sake of the balance on spvp.

the real thing is that this game is actually a huge beta! and its unbalanced on both fronts.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

in PvP

Posted by: Psikerlord.2569

Psikerlord.2569

5v5 hotjoin. that is all.

in PvP

Posted by: admiralnlson.2380

admiralnlson.2380

5v5 hotjoin. that is all.

I hope you don’t really think this will change anything..

in PvP

Posted by: Primo.4385

Primo.4385

Well for starters it will make hot join funner than punching yourself in the face.

Hot join pvp is literally worse than punching yourself in the face.

in PvP

Posted by: Ziddy.2583

Ziddy.2583

Nov 15 can’t come soon enough. Do we really have to wait for big PvE content updates to get balance changes? I hope this isn’t a recurring trend.

in PvP

Posted by: WIZBASKY.6894

WIZBASKY.6894

Things to improve for PvP

1) Improve RangerPet Pathing so they are more fluid in attacks, get rid of stupid animations like on eagles when they cast run speed, just bloody attack already

2) Remove or tone down down state, I don’t know about you but when I win 1vs1 I dont want to go 1vs1 again to vanquish you

3) Add pet all damage types to battle log including pet damage

4) adding some kind of ranking system or right click abaility on someone so you can see how many games they have played on there class would be great, just because someone is rank 40+ on a warrior could be they got 39 levelks on a mage and 1 level on a warrior, I think every character you have, should have it’s own rank, so peopel knwo how much effort you have put in.

5) MORE MAPS, 4 maps are so boring

6) is it possible to put in CTF – capture the flag, they were fun in WoW, being we have no healers in this game, you cant have a bunker holding flag while 3 healers heal him. although it is possible to a point in his game

7) if you are going to keep the maps the same size and keep itat 8vs8 maybe make it them 5 node maps, to force people to spreadout more

8) NERF Thiefs & Frenzy Warriors, I think most specs & classes are fairly well balanced except those 2.

9) tone down stealth or remove it, perma stealth in a fight with MASSIVE DPS is so stupid, i cannot beleive you have not hot fixed this, I guess lead designer for PvP plays a thief.

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

at launch, i had tremendous faith in ANet to get the job done. not so any longer. this patch doesn’t need to fix everything, but it needs to set us on a proper course.

this is a make or break patch in terms of re-instilling my faith in them to do things right. even if they set us on the right course, i’m still expecting february to be a good estimate of when they can bring full pvp systems online that can hope to satisfy the community.

in PvP

Posted by: Professor Munchies.8472

Professor Munchies.8472

my presence in sPvP has slowly been dwindling because of lack of content and things to do, its just the same thing over and over again for practically no gain and it seems like such a grind just to get the next factor of 10 rank. I’ll admit i really like PvP, i have hardly played PvE at all, lvl 12 max. If the PvP does not improve GW2 will lose lots of its players :’( including me
+1 OP
please fix this anet

in PvP

Posted by: merry.3247

merry.3247

break time buddies, come back in 2 years or 3.

in PvP

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Guild Wars 2 is in a balance phase.

When you balance a game, you shouldn’t have a lot of different game modes, you should go with one, and then see what professions needs tweaking, nerfing and buffing, and when ArenaNet feel that they are somewhat done with that, they can start releasing new game modes

in PvP

Aga.8641

When you balance a game, you shouldn’t have a lot of different game modes, you should go with one, and then see what professions needs tweaking, nerfing and buffing, and when ArenaNet feel that they are somewhat done with that, they can start releasing new game modes

Yes, but they should also have a bunch of content ready to be released when the balance is at a good place…which they do not.

in PvP

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Yes, but they should also have a bunch of content ready to be released when the balance is at a good place…which they do not.

And you know that how exactly? That they don’t have anything to release when they feel done with the balance?

in PvP

Aga.8641

And you know that how exactly? That they don’t have anything to release when they feel done with the balance?

If they did, they would have said something, to keep people interested in the game…Which they have not done. We just get the most vague blog posts once a month with just enough info to keep the sheep happy without giving any real details.

in PvP

Posted by: Esthetx.6412

Esthetx.6412

I think it would be nice to have smaller-scale arena ladders like 3v3 and 5v5 etc. Very nice-looking gear rewards would be available along the way at certain levels of rating acquired, like 2000 rating, for example, might give you access to being able to craft a higher level of gear.

I also feel that people don’t feel the need or desire to work towards PvP rewards, since they do not feel any real changes from acquiring the gear, since it is only aesthetic. People can already acquire decent looking gear once they reach Deer rank, from free tournament tokens, and lose the motivation to grind repetitively in the same game mode and same 4 maps to get gear that might look slightly better.

It is very nice to be able to feel the increase in strength or power, when you acquire a new piece of gear, or weapon, thus giving the motivation to acquire it. Some examples of this are working towards unlocking new, better guns and attachments in shooters to make a huge difference in combat, or playing a lot of arena / battlegrounds to unlock a strong sword that will increase your damage output substantially. This is what causes the drive to keep playing through PvP, and grinding battlegrounds or rating — looking forward to acquiring gear that will make a difference. I know that this is against many people’s ideals of having a “balanced” and scaled system, but for me, it is what makes the game fun. The “balance” that they have now can be acquired once you reach the cap on the best gear currently available.

in PvP

I think it would be nice to have smaller-scale arena ladders like 3v3 and 5v5 etc. Very nice-looking gear rewards would be available along the way at certain levels of rating acquired, like 2000 rating, for example, might give you access to being able to craft a higher level of gear.

I also feel that people don’t feel the need or desire to work towards PvP rewards, since they do not feel any real changes from acquiring the gear, since it is only aesthetic. People can already acquire decent looking gear once they reach Deer rank, from free tournament tokens, and lose the motivation to grind repetitively in the same game mode and same 4 maps to get gear that might look slightly better.

It is very nice to be able to feel the increase in strength or power, when you acquire a new piece of gear, or weapon, thus giving the motivation to acquire it. Some examples of this are working towards unlocking new, better guns and attachments in shooters to make a huge difference in combat, or playing a lot of arena / battlegrounds to unlock a strong sword that will increase your damage output substantially. This is what causes the drive to keep playing through PvP, and grinding battlegrounds or rating — looking forward to acquiring gear that will make a difference. I know that this is against many people’s ideals of having a “balanced” and scaled system, but for me, it is what makes the game fun. The “balance” that they have now can be acquired once you reach the cap on the best gear currently available.

I disagree. I play dota 2 (500+ hours in dota and over 900 hours in LoL) and many other pvp games with out getting better gear, or better items. or anything at all. If its fun people have no problem playing the same game over and over again for no gain. The problem is that GW2 pvp is just not fun. Its not fun on the spvp side. its not fun on the tpvp side. If spvp was at least fun people would stick around and suffer through the tpvp. But since spvp is not fun, it does not teach you anything about how to play a 5v5 map. And the fact that tpvp is so static of a game mechanic it just not fun to play, or to watch for that matter.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

the game mode defines the balancing.

One could just as easily argue that having multiple game modes in pvp helps balancing across fixed roles in just one type.

Conquest supports certain roles and builts.
Now imagine if a great conquest bunker would also be slow.
That would not hinder him in conquest, he’s a bunker not a roamer.

Now put that bunker in capture the flag.
He’s still hard to kill, but too slow in a game without healers.

Make that bunker fast.
No change in conquest: he CAN move but he hardly needs to.
Conquest showed no imbalance.
Put the fast bunker in capture the flag. You see him running being almost unkillable?
See the forums explode next…

Simple example, just to show balance isn’t necessarily tied to one game mode.
It can be, but claiming that it HAS to be, is just Arenanet rationalising their specific choice. It’s not some objective balancing rule.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…