Only one distinct profession per match

in PvP

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

The suggestion is pretty simple – allow only one distinct profession per team in a match. I don’t know exactly what wizardry is hidden behind the current matchmaking algorithm but lately I’ve seen a huge increase of matches in hotjoin and solo queue where one of the sides had 3+ players of the same profession. Today alone I had a match against a team of 3 eles and right after that against 4 rangers.

I know it might impose even more restrictions to the already small number of matches in sPvP (ranked is almost impossible to organize even during prime time) but I think it would at least promote a much needed diversity and role based play.

(edited by holodoc.5748)

in PvP

Posted by: Pinkcomet.2975

Pinkcomet.2975

got 5 thieves once. you know the rest.
only won once in my pvp life as 4 thieves.
when 3 thieves, 70% lost
2 is ok. didnt feel any different.

from my record, obviously class stack is a problem. (at least with thief)
I asked myself
‘how can we win conquest when 3 thieves if 60% of my team cant hold point’

I prefer wait 5-7min MORE to play a good game.

(edited by Pinkcomet.2975)

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

If I remember the correctly from discussions with our server programmer, this is something we could add as a “nice to have” check in the matchmaking system, but I don’t think it could be something that would be 100% required to start a game. As you mentioned, making this a requirement for roster creation would add a considerable amount of time to the queue.

Not to mention every match has 10 players and there’s only 8 professions. 4v4, anetpls.

in PvP

Posted by: Drafigo.4690

Drafigo.4690

If I remember the correctly from discussions with our server programmer, this is something we could add as a “nice to have” check in the matchmaking system, but I don’t think it could be something that would be 100% required to start a game. As you mentioned, making this a requirement for roster creation would add a considerable amount of time to the queue.

Not to mention every match has 10 players and there’s only 8 professions. 4v4, anetpls.

I think you may have just stumbled apron the answer! Add more classes! Sweet!

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

gotcha there, grouch

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

holodoc.5748

I think you misunderstood me or my wording wasn’t as exact as it was supposed to be. What I meant to say is only one profession per team not per match. That would prevent teams having 2+ players of the same profession.

P.S. Changed the original post to make it a bit clearer.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Even if the phrase “per match” was used here, I think it was about “per team”.
F.e the blue team can only have one warrior, but at the same time the red team can have one too.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I think a better solution should be this. It shouldn’t impact queue times that much.

1. A team can have no more than 2 of one profession
2. A team cannot have more than 1 double.

In other words, a team of: ranger, ranger, engi, warrior, guardian is fine
a team of ranger, ranger, ranger, warrior guardian is not fine (violates #1)
a team of ranger, ranger, warrior, warrior, guardian is not fine (violates #2)

in PvP

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

^^ great suggestion.

I’d also suggest a /resign function, as an alternative. At least then you could get out of painfully imba matches.

As someone just getting into the esports side of the game, I’d rather wait longer in the queue and have a decently balanced team. I’ve been doing a lot of SQTA lately, and nothing crushes my spirit like winding up with 3x or 4x of one class vs. a balanced comp on the other side.

(edited by Mckeone.9804)

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

-_-’ with all due respect, think a little bit josh…

One unique profession per team not for match…

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

with all due respect, read the title: “Only one distinct profession per match”

:o

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

The suggestion is pretty simple – allow only one distinct profession per team in a match. I don’t know exactly what wizardry is hidden behind the current matchmaking algorithm but lately I’ve seen a huge increase of matches in hotjoin and solo queue where one of the sides had 3+ players of the same profession. Today alone I had a match against a team of 3 eles and right after that against 4 rangers.

I know it might impose even more restrictions to the already small number of matches in sPvP (ranked is almost impossible to organize even during prime time) but I think it would at least promote a much needed diversity and role based play.

This doesn’t take into account players that will swap classes after they get a look at the other team, etc etc. And how am I to know that the queue for mesmer is 10 minutes while the queue for engi is 15 and ele is 5? I’m happy to play either, but that doesn’t really allow me to decide which class to queue on.

I have no problem with a lot of people on the same class. There’s enough build diversity and character slots out there that someone should switch. I do. It’s not that hard.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

Well why dont the matchmaking system divide the classes equally for each side and dont alow changing teams during match?

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

with all due respect, read the title: “Only one distinct profession per match”

:o

you are right but that suggestion is so bad that my subconscious filtered it and turn it into something that actually made some sense.

anyway tks for pointing that out

in PvP

tanztante.6532

Well why dont the matchmaking system divide the classes equally for each side and dont alow changing teams during match?

we’re talking about soloQ, not hotjoin. you’re not allowed to switch teams in any other game mode.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Something to note here: in the past, solo queue grouped players into similarly skilled teams before finding an opponent. This resulted in a lot of unfair match-ups. Currently, it locates ten similarly skilled players and splits them into two fair teams. Since teams aren’t decided until after the players are selected, it could be a little more complicated than you’d think to do this.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

I think you may have just stumbled apron the answer! Add more classes! Sweet!

Chronomancer. DO EHT!

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

in PvP

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

I dont know why but I dont care are there 2/3 or 4 guards in my party . Maybe in a party there are 4 guards but
-1 is bunker
-2 is condi
-3 is burst dps with gs
-4 is dps with hammer
I think we dont need change like that it will only increase queue times for the most popular classes

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

In almost every other team game I can think of (Dota 2, League, CSGO, CoD, etc.) where people can have different “builds”, its on the players to not make an idiotic comp, not the game. In League if you have 5 support mains on one team, they are expected to make it work, not kitten at Riot because they were incapable of simple communication. In FPS games if you are trying to snipe despite half of your team being snipers, its not the game’s fault when you get rolled.

The GW2 queue system gives players plenty of time to load into a map, check the team comps, talk to their allies really fast, and swap builds/professions if necessary. Part of the fun of soloQ is trying to make a stupid team comp work, if you want super pr0 MLG 420yolonoscope sponsored-by-Red Bull eSports teams, trying doing teamQ. That way you can blame your loss on “bad teammates” instead of a “bad comp”, because we all know its their fault

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

I think a better solution should be this. It shouldn’t impact queue times that much.

This would be amazing.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

This would just make queues longer! Queues for Vee Wee already average 7+ minutes! No thanks! Players just need to get better! You can win against any comp! Vee Wee played with Olrun’s team a week ago! We were running 3 Thieves and Vee Wee was playing a gadget Engi with Mortar!! We beat many organized teams! Some of them were even high rated and played in tournaments! Just adapt your rotations to your team comp and you’ll be fine!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Guys, stop complaining.

Remember, that the system needs to find 10x poeple FIRST , THEN it shuffles them into 2 equal worthy teams.

1) the limit would increase que times , probably biggest no
2) How should it work?

• trade better teammate for lower enemy , but different class?
  • How much is having a bad teammate worth, over lets say 2nd thief ?
  • Should this be calculated before? QUEEEEEEE…..

you get the point. +its a nice change here and then to have a funny matchup

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Some classes stack well, like ele and warrior and guardian. Others like thief and ranger and mesmer are completely worthless to have more than one of.

in PvP

Posted by: Eiland.1405

Eiland.1405

#GeekLogic

Actually you only need rule 2.
As having 3 (or more) of the same profession means team has 3 (or more) doubles.
(i.e if A,B and C are same prof then A+B, A+C,C+B are 3 doubles)

Dry Leaves

(edited by Eiland.1405)

in PvP

Posted by: Pinkcomet.2975

Pinkcomet.2975

Some classes stack well, like ele and warrior and guardian. Others like thief and ranger and mesmer are completely worthless to have more than one of.

so.. problem is there.

which war ele gd players dont seem to care as long as THEY get benefits.
Anet.. what do you think as dev.

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

QFT.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

tanztante.6532

i don’t really think this makes any sense at all, actually. every player should provide what they can do best. if the team consists of 4 thieves, at least two of them should relog to another profession. what are the odds, that every thief in there with you only knows how to play thief? slim to none, i say. people just need a good kick in their behinds to really play competitively and to win. for everything else, there’s hotjoin.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Or at least make it so there can be only 2 max of the same profession per team.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

i once ended up with 3 bearbows and me as trap ranger + a spirit ranger. Amusing match, we even won… but other then that one time case – 4 shatter mesmers + me as staff ele > useless comp…..

So ya, would be nice to have a sort of internal filter.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

tanztante.6532

i still have to point out, that an internal filter + the ability to switch profession beforehand, or even midgame, makes each other obsolete. IF ANY, there should be a filter on stupid people, because this is what creates your problem.

small example: if i q with my OP ele and there are 2 already, i ask: who wants to go imba crit whatever, who wants to go faceroll d/d triple cantrip OP, who wants to go useless staffheal, yo, kittenes. dem response is usually always: i don’t reroll coz u tell me to, kitten. i say: ok , dem ele r nub, i reroll guardian or sum other kitten, yo. we win game afterwards. not becoz of filter,yo. becoz good playurs adapt, kitten. yo.

sorry... i got carried away. sometimes i think i am such a ghettogangsta 4 life, yo. but seriously. 90% of the so called problems people in this forum are complaining about could be solved with a minimum of brain usage. yet nobody does it. just look at the pve,... it got nerfed down to a ridiculous nobrainer where u can stack every boss in a corner. now they nerf fgs rush, and people are complaining about making ele obsolete. sometimes i can’t follow you guys and i have to think, oh kitten, all the brain in onlinegaming somehow got stuck in daoc or sth.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

(edited by tanztante.6532)

in PvP

Posted by: oDe Da Beast.7596

oDe Da Beast.7596

I guess we need 2 more professions then

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

“Nice to have check” this is a pretty new one lol

Are “Soon” “When it’s ready” and “Looking at it” times over?

Hope skyhammer is already in the “Nice to remove check” list…at least

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

“Nice to have check” this is a pretty new one lol

Are “Soon” “When it’s ready” and “Looking at it” times over?

Hope skyhammer is already in the “Nice to remove check” list…at least

I think he meant the underlying filtering system would have it as a “Nice to have” check.
As in, the matchmaking system would try to adhere to balance/nodouble rules but it wouldn’t hold up a match if it couldn’t find it. A sort of compromise between the “We want balanced matchups” and “We want short queue times” people.

Not that ArenaNet would consider it a “Nice to have” feature.

Dragonbrand

in PvP

tanztante.6532

that is probably because it is a horribly stupid idea in the first place.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

holodoc.5748

I am serious now. This meta profession ganking has to stop. Fighting three turret engis on Skyhammer with a team of squishies in SoloQ is ridiculous. I don’t honestly care how absurd others find this idea, there needs to be a mechanism that prevents multiple profession of the same type in a single team. If that means longer queues, so be it.

in PvP

holodoc.5748

Solo queue, Spirit watch, three bunker guardians on enemy team. You can be Jesus Christ but you won’t be able to stop them from taxing orbs the whole match and still hold at least two points. Enough said.

in PvP

tanztante.6532

i doubt that jesus christ would play gw2, since he’s not skilled enough. he’d probably be a wow or moba player.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

Posted by: Epidemix Revenge.4862

Epidemix Revenge.4862

I don’t mind having multiples on teams. What I think is ridiculous is when there is 2, 3 or 4 of the same profession on my team and none of them on my opponents team. That’s what I believe makes 0 sense. Why wasn’t this sorted out when the players were pulled?

I start the match with 3 thieves my engi and a guardian while my opponents start with 3 warriors a ranger and a Mesmer. I see match-ups like this ALL the time.. How hard is it for the matchmaking mechanism to look at this when picking what team each player is going to be on?? So it would be more like; 2 thieves one warrior one guardian and my engi VS 2 warriors one thief one ranger and one Mesmer.. Is it that difficult??

Oh and MAKE USE OF THE KITTENING “I AM READY” KITTENING BUTTON SO I CAN STOP HAVING KITTENING 33% OF MY KITTENING MATCHES START AS KITTENING 4v5s

pretty please.

And almost every one of my solo Q skyhammers ends up being a 4v5 now. I’d say 66.66% end up being 4v5 and 33.33% start 4v5 so get this kittening kitten of a kitten map off the kitten soloQ

Thank you
Massah Blassah #18,437 engi NA and still not Rank 80

edit all kittens actually typed out. no cursing