ranger counterattack vs pistol whip

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

as i could figure, its useless? it was sort of fast (i tried it couple of times :dying : ) but when my knockback hits thief is already in evade?

in PvP

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

Of course, stealth and evade has no counter play. THIEF OP #gimmickmechanics.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

in PvP

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

you can just use rampage as one to avoid the stun and face plant the thief before the evade mechanic starts

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in PvP

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

you can just use rampage as one to avoid the stun and face plant the thief before the evade mechanic starts

The stun is already avoided by the block effect of counter attack.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

in PvP

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

The stun is already avoided by the block effect of counter attack.

That’s not what I mean, pistol whip hits you initially with a stun, when using rampage as one you have stability which will not stun you. The thief will evade for 1.25 seconds so what I am wrong in assuming is that you can hit the thief, you can only avoid the stun and time your own accordingly for when the pistol whip animation ends (or some kind of counter attack mechanic that’s not greatsword #4.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in PvP

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

1. Thief can steal the stab from rampage as one
  2. Let the thief stun you and then use counter attack….. the knockback will be time at the end of the thief’s evade which he can’t dodge.

in PvP

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

Dont get confused by the name “counterattack”. Nothing counters a thief.

(edited by EverythingEnds.4261)

in PvP

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Though a Thief will probably eat you for breakfast if you’re not properly skilled, a glassy Ranger using Counterattack can deal some extremely high damage. I don’t know about countering Pistol Whip but I do know that if you manage to counter one of their attacks with that skill it should pretty much send them running with their tail between their legs.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in PvP

gesho.9468

Well, i do have some other counters (just starting with ranger), best being Lightning reflexes, but was curios about Counterattack

Once I Lightning reflex he (thief) is sort of stuck with me, isn’t he? Nearly out of init. I should be able to interrupt healing stealth and only thing he has left is probably shadow refuge. which would allow him to reset and pull another one sequence. But then I have Protect Me.

Overall I sort of see counter play, but we’ll see. I don’t like that I have to use my utility cooldowns for someone’s regular weapon skills.

in PvP

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

I should be able to interrupt healing stealth …

Just that almost every thief uses withdraw these days.

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

All you have to do is be facing the opposite direction of the thief when he hits and counter attack will block more than one attack and wont do the knockback. its a free shield stance if you use it right.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Counter attack is generally useless. The thief will have his evade frames up from pistol whip when the counter attack triggers leaving you with a self stun that gets to eat all the PW damage. This isn’t the only problem with counter attack. You can even trigger the counterattack and continue moving past the ranger and you will not get hit. This is especially annoying with D/P thieves as they just do this behavior naturally. Honestly, I love the idea of counter attack, but the amount of times I have tried to stun break my own self stun is countless.

in PvP

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Well, i do have some other counters (just starting with ranger), best being Lightning reflexes, but was curios about Counterattack

Once I Lightning reflex he (thief) is sort of stuck with me, isn’t he? Nearly out of init. I should be able to interrupt healing stealth and only thing he has left is probably shadow refuge. which would allow him to reset and pull another one sequence. But then I have Protect Me.

Overall I sort of see counter play, but we’ll see. I don’t like that I have to use my utility cooldowns for someone’s regular weapon skills.

Take Signet Of The Beastmaster trait, Signet Of Stone, Protect Me! and Troll Unguent, use heal at 70 – 80% health, pop Signet Of Stone then Protect Me! proceed to laugh while regenerating health with 12seconds of invulnerability.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in PvP

gesho.9468

All you have to do is be facing the opposite direction of the thief when he hits and counter attack will block more than one attack and wont do the knockback. its a free shield stance if you use it right.

wait, so if I am not facing, Counterattack doesn’t trigger and I keep in block? Blocking through most of that PW?

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

wait, so if I am not facing, Counterattack doesn’t trigger and I keep in block? Blocking through most of that PW?

Yeah I use it as a block skill, as long as your not facing the person hitting you and you are moving away then it wont trigger. No idea how effective it is against PW.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

2. Let the thief stun you and then use counter attack….. the knockback will be time at the end of the thief’s evade which he can’t dodge.

^ this
Just a fact that not many people know. Steal prioritizes stealing Stability first, so popping stability won’t work.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in PvP

gesho.9468

how much of pw will i have to take with this?