summary of pvp in a screen shot

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

http://imgur.com/2JsvI

just look at the ranks, pretty much every hot join match is like this whether its 5v5, or 8v8. you could say well all the vets are in tournaments, except theres only like 1 or 2 free tournies going at a time (and 1 paid during a short window) which is a very few people. so yea. pvp is dying and all we got are noobs trying it out for 10 ranks then quitting.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: deapee.7516

deapee.7516

Because what is the point? What is the reward? Where is the gear you get or the cool new weapons? Where is the benefit to having a higher rank?

The game is fun I’ll give it that, but most people don’t just play for fun, they play for a specific goal and as a side effect have fun achieving that goal.

Not to mention, communication from anet here is a joke. They took a BEAUTIFUL game and failed on such core fundamentals of an mmo. It’s honestly a sad sad thing.

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

February can’t come soon enough. If it is what I hope it will be (although I am certain it won’t be) then I will rejoice. If it fails to deliver, then I will begrudgingly move on and forever look at GW2 as the game that wasn’t, but should have been.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

Posted by: Chi Malady.2015

Chi Malady.2015

Because what is the point? What is the reward? Where is the gear you get or the cool new weapons? Where is the benefit to having a higher rank?

The game is fun I’ll give it that, but most people don’t just play for fun, they play for a specific goal and as a side effect have fun achieving that goal.

Not to mention, communication from anet here is a joke. They took a BEAUTIFUL game and failed on such core fundamentals of an mmo. It’s honestly a sad sad thing.

That’s not why it isn’t fun.

People need to gtfo with this gear treadmill nonsense. It’s a dying concept.

The reason why people are leaving is lack of basic features like ladder, custom servers, solo queue, voice chat, etc.

in PvP

Posted by: madatom.5218

madatom.5218

there is this huge emphasis on “the meta” mindset which has most likely carried over from world of warcraft or league of legends, most players understand a meta build for there class (such kittentermes or auramancer) but do not understand class set up metas (bunker/roamer/support) this results in new players being confused or intimidated by the somewhat absurd requirements enforced on the pvp game

this current meta is more trinity system then world of warcrafts trinity system, pvp in wow is heals and damage and everyone has kitten tons of situational utility (some classes having more then others) the biggest issue with the current meta can be explained quite simply, it overvalues/undervalues classes and not players

the finest example would be the mesmer, any mesmer with half a brain is tournament competitive because portal is just too strong, where as if your an engineer too kittening bad you flat out cant play

and its not that classes like the engineer cant be played competitively, its the overall community mindset, if your running a team and you need a good strong dps and you have a choice between a thief or engineer you’re most likely picking the thief because of there already well established viability

another issue would be how oversimple many classes are compared to others, a good example being the warrior vs elementalist, warriors are so braindead i refuse to play them, i mean seriously who designed that? its atrociously boring and easy
the elementalist on the other hand is what more classes should be like, reasonably complex with decent synergy between attunements and abilities making it a very satisfying class to play, reminds me of enhancement shamans pre cataclysm having such a complicated priority list that you would be GCD capped for entire fights due to the amount of abilities you would cast, ultimately very satisfying to play

and now bunkers, the mindset that bunkers are ok in a pvp game is pretty terrible, bunkers only exist because of the nature of the domination mode, if it didn’t exist you would never see them
the nature of its extremely passive role is what gives me a substantial amount of grief, if the enemy decides to not attack my node, im sitting doing nothing, if i decide to push onto a node, im completely dependent on my team to actually push them off
if they decide to attack me, i have to call for my team because like i have said already my role is passive and im dependent on my team

i would not be shocked that if there where other game modes most players would switch and newer players would opt for it rather then the lackluster dom mode with a dull meta

i think the primary issue is arenanet established the meta and not the players, i think this has been done to remove some balance responsibility and exert more control over the way players play the game (totally play the game the way you want, right arenanet?)

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

yea the whole ranking system is laughable. You hit level 20/30/40 whatever buy every piece of gear you want with all the saved up glory you have, then have nothing to look forward to gear wise for another 10 levels which takes longer and longer each 10.

if the game were actually fun people might not care about rewards, but playing the same game mode over and over and over and only getting rewarded every 10 ranks is pretty sad. i know so many people who got every thing they want at level 11, realized how long it would take to get to 20 and just got burnt out of doing the same thing and quit by ~rank 12-15.

my friends list was about 30 deep after the first month all straight up pvpers. now my friends list is 1 guildy who i WvW with when they are online.

in PvP

felivear.1536

The reason why people are leaving is lack of basic features like ladder, custom servers, solo queue, voice chat, etc.

I don’t see where he was stating we need a gear treadmill (I could be wrong), but I think his point stands. There is no real reason to PvP. We don’t need a gear treadmill, we need something for rewarding our time and effort. A simple ranking system that promotes good play and demotes bad play would be good enough. That way you can easily see if you’re progressing, stagnating or regressing. Currently, being rewarded for playtime is a terrible way to promote longevity in this game mode.

(edited by felivear.1536)

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

casuals dont care much about that stuff though, they want progression which is why they bought an MMO. If you give them this ridiculous exponential reward arc where you can get everything the moment you had that X0 level, people burnout faster than if it were a steady linear progression.

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

casuals dont care much about that stuff though, they want progression which is why they bought an MMO. If you give them this ridiculous exponential reward arc where you can get everything the moment you had that X0 level, people burnout faster than if it were a steady linear progression.

Dota and LoL say hello. Two of the most popular PvP games in the world and they use the exact same system.

That’s why Anet created two PvP modes. WvW is for the casuals that want gear to determine performance. sPvP is for the players that want skill to determine performance.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

Dota and LoL say hello. Two of the most popular PvP games in the world and they use the exact same system.

neither of those games are progression-based MMORPGs. if anet wants spvp to be big they need to make it fun to the casual PLAYERS, not just casual pvpers who never leave the mists. people keep saying “zomg make mists free we need more people” when theres thousands of people already playing the game but who dont come over to pvp because of how boring, repeititve and lack of rewarding progression.

(edited by Sprawl.3891)

in PvP

felivear.1536

I think their glory reward system is atrocious. You essentially grind 10 levels which takes a while and then boom, you get everything you want for that rank. Then you spend another ridiculous amount of time to do the same thing.

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

neither of those games are progression-based MMORPGs

Neither is the PvP mode inside GW2. It is a distinct game mode separate from PvE/WvW.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

Neither is the PvP mode inside GW2. It is a distinct game mode separate from PvE/WvW.

that doesnt mean it cant have meaningful progression to bring some of the thousands of players doing pve/wvw over on a regular basis.

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

I think their glory reward system is atrocious. You essentially grind 10 levels which takes a while and then boom, you get everything you want for that rank. Then you spend another ridiculous amount of time to do the same thing.

It’s there for cosmetic purposes. I agree that the rank requirements are stupidly high, but it is essentially a meaningless number.

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

that doesnt mean it cant have meaningful progression to bring some of the thousands of players doing pve/wvw over on a regular basis.

Yes it does.

You can’t have a competitive PvP game mode with gear progression. Many people bought this game solely for the PvP. By going the gear treadmill route, GW2 would become a PvE-only game and completely alienate its already dwindling PvP playerbase.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

It’s there for cosmetic purposes. I agree that the rank requirements are stupidly high, but it is essentially a meaningless number.

right but they still could have implemented it better. if it were linear instead of exponential and you could buy say one new piece (chest at level x1, head at level x2, shoulders at level x3) every tier people wouldnt burn out so fast.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

Yes it does.

You can’t have a competitive PvP game mode with gear progression. Many people bought this game solely for the PvP. By going the gear treadmill route, GW2 would become a PvE-only game and completely alienate its already dwindling PvP playerbase.

im talking about cosmetic gear but in a better way. If a PvEr could spend time pvping for some skin he cant get in WvW or PvE it would bring over tons of people. Theres tons of suggestions already (xp for spvp, skins transfer, etc) but Anet doesnt do anything. From what i heard GW1 had something (z-keys?) that crossed over between pvp and pve

but even if they did something like that right now it wouldnt last long because people would just burn out of doing the same game mode over and over.

(edited by Sprawl.3891)

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

This.

I’m only Rank 37, but I had everything for Wolf Rank, for all of my characters, as soon as I hit 30. With the previews available in the PvP locker, I already know which pieces I am going to get when I hit 40, though with all the extra glory I will have I might just try to create a complete collection for my locker.

But even that doesn’t sound very fun.

I beleive I saw Saatarwhatever his name is post a screenshot of his PvP Screen, and he had somewhere in the neighborhood of 800k Glory. What in the heck is he even supposed to do with that?

in PvP

Posted by: Spindelhalla.2139

Spindelhalla.2139

I use my glory to buy gold chests and hope to find dyes.. sad, I know.. but at some point you just have nothing to do with the glory you get and the more you progress the more this becomes clear.

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

At OP, be glad there’s actually still players in pvpland to start with.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

in PvP

Posted by: Shanos.2459

Shanos.2459

we can all thank team switching for this.

in PvP

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

The game is fun I’ll give it that, but most people don’t just play for fun…

Except it isn’t fun, at least not hotjoin sPvP, in fact I’d go as far to say hotjoin sPvP is the worst, least fun of that sort of PvP I’ve played in any MMO.

in PvP

Posted by: Void.4239

Void.4239

Except it isn’t fun, at least not hotjoin sPvP, in fact I’d go as far to say hotjoin sPvP is the worst, least fun of that sort of PvP I’ve played in any MMO.

this made me laugh

in my eye’s :

1 ) games where made for having fun . the better you get at something the more fun you’ll have .

2) in order to play Spvp , build/ way you play is real important.
1001 builds can be made, doesn’t mean 1001 builds are good for pvp.
if you are getting totaled in pvp , then there’s a problem with your build/ way you play it ( or multiple targets jumped you)

3) i love the fact that evry1 is equal in gear ( in spvp/ tpvp ). Skill matters , and alot of regular mmorpg players are used to outgear the opponent , hence a lot of people have it hard in this kind of pvp
( newcomers can axualy beat some1 that has been here longer , and it makes them mad to see a rank 4 owned there rank 34, maybe thats a reason why high ranked players are leaving spvp and going for WvW, ( just to have the upperhand against newcommers )

in PvP

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

this made me laugh

in my eye’s :

1 ) games where made for having fun . the better you get at something the more fun you’ll have .

2) in order to play Spvp , build/ way you play is real important.
1001 builds can be made, doesn’t mean 1001 builds are good for pvp.
if you are getting totaled in pvp , then there’s a problem with your build/ way you play it ( or multiple targets jumped you)

3) i love the fact that evry1 is equal in gear ( in spvp/ tpvp ). Skill matters , and alot of regular mmorpg players are used to outgear the opponent , hence a lot of people have it hard in this kind of pvp
( newcomers can axualy beat some1 that has been here longer , and it makes them mad to see a rank 4 owned there rank 34, maybe thats a reason why high ranked players are leaving spvp and going for WvW, ( just to have the upperhand against newcommers )

Point 1 and 2 apply to every MMO I’ve ever played. Point 3 is the one good thing about GW2 sPvP, but then once you are geared and actually playing equally geared opponents, then skill matters in every MMORPG I’ve played, many of which requires far more multitasking / awareness / thought than you need in GW2.

But anyway as to the reasons why hotjoin sPvP is absolutely terrible:

1 – It is most the zergy, braindead “casual” PvP I’ve ever played, this is in part due to the mode and its implementation, in part due to putting 8v8 on a 5v5 map and in part due to the limited class system.

2 – Lack of variety, both in regards to modes and team size.

3 – That the 8v8 on a 5v5 map changes the already crappy balance even more toward burst.

There are also some pretty bad design flaws in regard to classes and the results some classes get in relation to the level of skill required, plus some pretty off-putting mechanics. If people from “pro” teams who stream get annoyed because they get instgibbed, then what do you think that does for some new guy tha has never PvPed before? (The answer is in how the sPvP population looks now )

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

hmm i thought seeing low ranks in hot join means theres new blood.
I know that pvp is dying and stuff and i agree but wouldnt it be more concerning if there were no low ranked people???

in PvP

Posted by: OpenWounds.6729

OpenWounds.6729

people complain games are too easy, but when something takes time and grinding to earn, they cry. if earning titles/gear/qualifying points/acheivs isnt enough to make you want to continue playing a game, then your just not a real gamer, go play barbie

in PvP

Posted by: RustyEyeballs.8927

RustyEyeballs.8927

This is actually really important and needs to be addressed asap if GW2 is to survive. Having new players stick is actually incredibly important.

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

people complain games are too easy, but when something takes time and grinding to earn, they cry. if earning titles/gear/qualifying points/acheivs isnt enough to make you want to continue playing a game, then your just not a real gamer, go play barbie

there’s ways to make progression feel good vs feeling like a grind. many people have already provides ideas.

in PvP

Posted by: HappinessFactory.4910

HappinessFactory.4910

hmm i thought seeing low ranks in hot join means theres new blood.
I know that pvp is dying and stuff and i agree but wouldnt it be more concerning if there were no low ranked people???

Well this is supposed to prove that new blood isn’t making it to tournaments. So I guess is bad either way.

in PvP

Posted by: madatom.5218

madatom.5218

reddit only agrees with popular opinion

if you want criticism dont go to reddit

in PvP

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Current format is boring to play. That’s the main reason, I think. The only appealing achievement for me is the titles, but they aren’t prominently displayed, so what’s the point? Gotta click on someone to see their title, how stupid.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in PvP

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

ahhh… unlocking pvp for pve in gw1…

in PvP

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

in PVP… i am ok with it currently. the things i want is basicly what everyone else seems to want though. more variation in game mode. (team death match, survival(1 life), free for all, capture the flag(like the winterday minigame.. that was super fun)) a ranking so you can see – oh, this person is the best in the server … by whatever means “best”.. and a structured level system so that high level(skilled) people would fight other people of the same status. be it based off k/d or w/l ratio or.. whatever. would add a lot to this pvp.

other than that.. good reason to stay in pvp is to keep you skills up against other players.. you can go out and kill the same creatures 1000 times… the exact same way but killing people is always surprising and usually different.. all the different play styles and builds keeps it interesting. I played LoL for a while… there was only one game mode.. go destroy the enemy base.on the same map.for a month….. sure the objective got boring.. so i switch up my character.. play against other people… change up my items… or my job… like jungler or what not..
the same thing should be applied to this pvp right now for the players if you really like pvp and want to keep it interesting.

in PvP

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Keeping your skills up is all well in good, but there’s no reason to atm. I mean, if you don’t like SPvP there’s basically no alternative to compete. WvW is a place where almost everyone just runs if they encounter a fair fight. But this merrygoround point control format is boring. It doesn’t reward you enough for actually fighting players and puts far too much emphasis on moving quickly from point to point. I’d like a format that focuses on killing players not dodging them to get to the point asap.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in PvP

Posted by: Chun Jae Lee.2751

Chun Jae Lee.2751

hi~! i am EvIL manager. Rank is useless. we already beat r30 teams as we are even not r20. we have good lead by Gw World championship winners\vocal\team play. Do u think WM is good because it has high ranks? They were good at the beggining because they have very good communication. And i believe there are guilds in same situation. we happily wait next update. And sorry for my english, I use translator IG..

Manager of The Last Pride International [EvIL]
Member of The Last Pride [EvIL]
EvIL FoREvER ~

in PvP

Sprawl.3891

reddit only agrees with popular opinion

if you want criticism dont go to reddit

im confused? that entire reddit thread is criticism of the pvp system. whether reddit, guru or here the thought is the same that gw2 pvp just isnt fun

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Totally!

In fact spvp in guild wars is extremely casual friendly. With no gear grind its just fun games 24/7. I am not in the “its boring” group. The game has the some of the best bg based pvp I have played (the level-playing field contributing hugely to this). All I want is more modes, and that is the main reason I think the population may be declining, apart from people just naturally moving on to other stuff.

Reward wise, I really don’t care, I have a zillion points and havn’t tried to get any cosmetic gear, takes too much time away from playing. However, why not think out of the box a bit reward wise. I’ve seen great ideas like player housing, buying islands, etc.

But whatever you do don’t start pinning for gear-based spvp, yuk no one should touch that toxic stuff with a ten-foot pole.

in PvP

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

Keeping your skills up is all well in good, but there’s no reason to atm. I mean, if you don’t like SPvP there’s basically no alternative to compete. WvW is a place where almost everyone just runs if they encounter a fair fight. But this merrygoround point control format is boring. It doesn’t reward you enough for actually fighting players and puts far too much emphasis on moving quickly from point to point. I’d like a format that focuses on killing players not dodging them to get to the point asap.

yeah… thats why i mentioned the updates i would like to see.. my favorite type of pvp is the 10v10 elimination. something extremely gratifying about killing off the other group with good teamwork and skill.