ComingTo WvW on 12/14 (renamed)

in WvW

Posted by: Habib Loew.6239

Habib Loew.6239

Gameplay Programmer

Next

Wintersday is coming and along with all the other goodies there will be a few updates to WvW. Some of these changes are the result of forum feedback while others are part of our longer term plans for WvW. Here’s a quick preview of what WvW will get for Wintersday:

Advance notification of new builds (updated 12/14 – see below)
In order to allow WvW players to make good decions about siege placement, assault timing, etc. we’re adding a new build pre-announcement. This will be in the form of a message broadcast to all players some time before the current build expires. Because this notification is tied to one of the final steps in our build process, and those final steps take a variable amount of time, we won’t be able to say exactly when the current build will expire. Instead, the message will provide a window of time in which the new build will become available.

Update 12/14: This feature is still coming but due to some unforeseen technical difficulties it won’t be ready in time for the Wintersday build. We’re working to resolve the remaining issues and will turn on the new build advance notification system as soon as it’s ready.

Alt+F4 is no escape
If someone that you’re fighting disconnects during combat (via Alt+F4, killing the client process, etc.) their character will be instantly killed, death penalties will be applied, and XP & loot will be handed out as usual.

No more insta-build walls & gates
Destroyed walls and gates will now rebuild when they reach 10% health rather than on the very first repair. This means that when attackers down a wall or gate defenders won’t be able to instantly rebuild it. Walls and gates which are destroyed can still be damaged if they have any health.

Breakout events
We’ve added a new event type to WvW called Breakout events which trigger when one or more teams have been pushed completely out of a map. They’re designed both to help players break out of severly camped portal keeps and to provide assistance in establishing a foothold in each map. Here’s what designer Matt Witter has to say about them:

Break Out Events are special WvW events that will happen when a team has lost control of all defensive structures, not counting supply camps. An NPC commander will appear in the team’s start area and an event will start that prompts players to gather around. Once enough players are in the commander’s presence he will summon his trusty dolyak to give all allies in the area full supply. He will then lead the charge to the nearby objective and give players protection and assist with building siege to assault the objective with. Those benefits, along with a defensive boon that he applies to all nearby allies, makes the attacking players a force to be reckoned with. Defenders will have their work cut out for them, as once the gate or wall piece is destroyed the commander will move to the tower lord inside and attack anyone in his path.

These changes are just a small part of what the WvW team has been up to lately. As you may have already heard, we’re hard at work on some larger updates that we plan to deliver in February. We’re not quite ready to talk about the details yet but as February gets closer we’ll start to reveal more of our secrets.

Happy Wintersday and we’ll see you on the battlefield!

ArenaNet Gameplay Programmer

(edited by Habib Loew.6239)

in WvW

Posted by: Brendar.3548

Brendar.3548

LOVE IT! I can’t wait for this to happen!

Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Awesome. love the breakout events. This will make people defend fully capped maps instead of hopping to next.

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

Brendar.3548

Awesome. love the breakout events. This will make people defend fully capped maps instead of hopping to next.

I know, this is the love we have been waiting for. And now the double punishing of alt f4 players, it’s great!

in WvW

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

“Alt+F4 is no escape
If someone that you’re fighting disconnects during combat (via Alt+F4, killing the client process, etc.) their character will be instantly killed, death penalties will be applied, and XP & loot will be handed out as usual.”

Does this mean that you’ll be insta-killed if you disconnect when in combat mode, or strictly when you’re currently in the middle of fighting another player? Because it’d suck to be stuck in combat mode (e.g. after being hit by trash mobs) and disconnect (accidentally or just because you’re done for the day) only to find yourself dead and with damaged/broken armor when you log in again.

If it’s strictly when you’ve been hit recently by a player during combat then that’s great, though!

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Good to see some great changes before they were expected

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

“Alt+F4 is no escape
If someone that you’re fighting disconnects during combat (via Alt+F4, killing the client process, etc.) their character will be instantly killed, death penalties will be applied, and XP & loot will be handed out as usual.”

Does this mean that you’ll be insta-killed if you disconnect when in combat mode, or strictly when you’re currently in the middle of fighting another player? Because it’d suck to be stuck in combat mode (e.g. after being hit by trash mobs) and disconnect (accidentally or just because you’re done for the day) only to find yourself dead and with damaged/broken armor when you log in again.

If it’s strictly when you’ve been hit recently by a player during combat then that’s great, though!

Either way. PvE got more interesting this way too

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

neon.4863

“Alt+F4 is no escape

Either way. PvE got more interesting this way too

My only concern is the fact that sometimes you get stuck in combat mode for some reason (happens when outside of WvW too, happened to me in the Uncategorized Fractal once, that was… interesting) – so even when you’re not actually in combat you could be stuck in combat mode be and affected by this change. So having a way for this change to tell if you’ve been hit by a player recently (or if you’re downed, obv) instead of just affecting players in combat mode would be nice. :o

in WvW

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

I like all of this. Good job!

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The ALT+F4 code should only apply for being in the downed state, if you ask me. I have, on numerous occasions, been stuck in combat mode in WvW and elsewhere and had to log out/in to fix it. I would not want this to kill me, give some random player who hit me thirty minutes ago rewards, and damage my armor. That’s terrible!

I also really hope that change only affects WvW. That would be a nightmare for PvE if it got implemented in a sweeping manner.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Posted by: Kalizaar.4729

Kalizaar.4729

Looks good to me so far! I definitely like the idea of the Breakout event.

in WvW

Posted by: Habib Loew.6239

Previous

Habib Loew.6239

Gameplay Programmer

Next

To clarify: character death on disconnect is a WvW only change.

ArenaNet Gameplay Programmer

in WvW

Brendar.3548

Thanks for the clarification on that!

in WvW

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

An NPC commander

There are already enough bots in this game.

in WvW

neon.4863

The ALT+F4 code should only apply for being in the downed state, if you ask me. I have, on numerous occasions, been stuck in combat mode in WvW and elsewhere and had to log out/in to fix it. I would not want this to kill me, give some random player who hit me thirty minutes ago rewards, and damage my armor. That’s terrible!

I also really hope that change only affects WvW. That would be a nightmare for PvE if it got implemented in a sweeping manner.

The problem with it only affecting downed players is that players would then get in the habit of alt+f4ing when they’re about to be downed, so it wouldn’t solve the problem – but I agree with the concern re: getting stuck into combat mode, happens to me very often and the only fix is either logging in/out or killing any number of things, which in WvW is obviously problematic for a number of reasons. Wouldn’t want getting stuck in combat mode due to a bug to end up killing me.

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The problem with it only affecting downed players is that players would then get in the habit of alt+f4ing when they’re about to be downed, so it wouldn’t solve the problem – but I agree with the concern re: getting stuck into combat mode, happens to me very often and the only fix is either logging in/out or killing any number of things, which in WvW is obviously problematic for a number of reasons. Wouldn’t want getting stuck in combat mode due to a bug to end up killing me.

I thought about that, but I think the reality is that people will always try to find a “way out”. Eventually it’ll just wind up being “you see an enemy coming at you and ALT+F4 before he can hit you”. I think anti-griefing is important for the developers to work towards, but when it comes at the expense of legitimate players suffering pretty common bugs, there’s a point where it causes more problems than it fixes. I think the ‘when downed’ only clause is a good compromise there, but that’s me. I’m willing to give this a chance, but I think I’m definitely going to rack up a much larger repair bill than normal because of this implementation without ALT+F4ing vs. enemies at all.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Posted by: Dispari.3980

Dispari.3980

The alt+f4 thing is hilarious. The game I came from just made you stand perfectly still without any actions being taken for 10 seconds when you logged out. I like this one even better.

in WvW

Posted by: Xyne.9104

Xyne.9104

The breakout event looks interesting…

in WvW

Posted by: Zexy.1407

Zexy.1407

Alt+F4 is no escape:

I’ve crashed when fighting other ppl in WvW before, will that count as a certain death?

in WvW

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

Great news! I am happy for each and every change you announced. And I have always been a sucker for more meaningful events in WvW. So I am hoping that there will be even more dynamic events in the February patch, or further down the road.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Ah, I’ll miss the days of kettling zergs with insta-repair walls. I guess we’ll just need better organization to make up the difference though.

Regarding the Alt-F4, I presume that also also applies to using in-game functions to log off or go to the character select window?

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

Habib Loew,

Thank you so much for the great news. I’m very excited about these changes. Please pass along our thanks to the entire dev crew.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in WvW

Posted by: DubNub.7314

DubNub.7314

I have played for a couple months and am often in WvW and have NEVER experienced an issue getting stuck in combat mode. I have had issues wher i am no longer fighting and am in war mode for a period of time…but this is solved by moving further away from the fight.

I am very happy with these changes, but am waiting to see exactly how this new “event” is going to play out.

in WvW

Posted by: Moidan.5163

Moidan.5163

Now, I have only been playing the game for a little less than month so I could be wrong, but isn’t the only death penalty damaged armor? If that is the case, damaged armor isn’t THAT costly and I don’t think accidentally getting damaged armor because the game crashed or logging off when stuck in combat mode on occasion would be horrible considering the exploit that it fixes. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not afraid to admit I’m a noob

in WvW

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Will there be any timer? As someone mentioned, you can get stuck in combat mode sometimes.

in WvW

Posted by: Roo Stercogburn.9671

Roo Stercogburn.9671

Some very welcome fixes there. Breakout sounds interesting.

If you take my meaning, hoping never to see Breakout but lets be realistic here

Master Baker on Gunnars Hold serving you hot cookies.
Looney vids at http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCRhCtfrF9GhxU1CoeZSN0kQ/u
Midnight Mayhem

in WvW

Posted by: Kill.6973

Kill.6973

Not completely satisfied.

Don’t get me wrong though, those are some awesome changes. However for a big update like wintersday its not much.
The main thing i can’t stand is when people use a catapult behind the gate to push attackers back, not sure if it is intended but if it is not please fix.

in WvW

Posted by: Mushy.3964

Mushy.3964

Thanks ANet it all looks very interesting especially the ‘Breakout Event’ can’t wait to see how this works in-game.

Officer of Vitas
WvW Squad Leader

in WvW

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

Hi, this is fantastic stuff. But there is one thing that me and my guild have been counting on for this build that we really need BEFORE February. Ascendant gear from badges! Please, please make this available in the December patch!!! Make them expensive but get them in there! We need WvW progression now, not 2 months from now!

in WvW

Posted by: Mouse.3271

Mouse.3271

I’ll be happy to have to remind folks a little less about not repairing walls being trebbed. I’ve also seen the ALT+F4 thing more and more often and seeing the hard penalty applied is a welcome change. Nice work!

I am concerned about the Breakout event but will see how it happens in game before I make a judgment. One way I could see it being suppressed is a dominant force leaving one tower per team, ensuring only slightly less PPT but still maintaining a lead over outmanned or outgunned forces. I do realize that sweeping changes should be tested more, however. I’ll be interested in seeing how you guys make more changes to deal with the outmanned and outgunned, and for encouraging a bit more participation overall.

in WvW

neon.4863

Now, I have only been playing the game for a little less than month so I could be wrong, but isn’t the only death penalty damaged armor? If that is the case, damaged armor isn’t THAT costly and I don’t think accidentally getting damaged armor because the game crashed or logging off when stuck in combat mode on occasion would be horrible considering the exploit that it fixes. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not afraid to admit I’m a noob

It depends on the piece of armor. I’ve noticed the repair costs go up the higher your level is, so I’d wager the more expensive the armor, the more costly it is to repair. I’m not sure what the repair bill is at higher levels though since I keep my alts in level range and they’re all 45-47 currently.

There is also the fact that when you log out of WvW you’re put back wherever you were in the world – and if you weren’t in a city you’d have to pay for waypoint costs too (since you’d be dead). At 45-47 it can be ~60c for short trips.

in WvW

Posted by: Moidan.5163

Moidan.5163

It depends on the piece of armor. I’ve noticed the repair costs go up the higher your level is, so I’d wager the more expensive the armor, the more costly it is to repair. I’m not sure what the repair bill is at higher levels though since I keep my alts in level range and they’re all 45-47 currently.

There is also the fact that when you log out of WvW you’re put back wherever you were in the world – and if you weren’t in a city you’d have to pay for waypoint costs too (since you’d be dead). At 45-47 it can be ~60c for short trips.

Ah ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the info. In that case (unless your character is just loaded with gold), I see how that could be quite annoying.

in WvW

Posted by: Berkut.2837

Berkut.2837

Thank you Habib and the rest of the development team for this update. It will be very interesting to see how this affects the way that wvw plays.

Auri Nimayil: Lvl 80 Thief (Kaineng)

in WvW

Posted by: SHAKA ZULU.3128

SHAKA ZULU.3128

I’m lvl 80 is full exos and repair costs after the first break and everything else damaged is 11s and change.

love,

a guardian from k[Ai]neng

in WvW

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

what happens if the superior troups decide to not-cap the last supply-camp from the losing server? Just don’t cap it in order to prevent the breakout-events… ?!

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in WvW

Posted by: urzen.7096

urzen.7096

I dont like the sound of breakout events one bit.

1. it will be buggy, bugged, exploited and abused – players find a way
2. its a solution in need of a problem – players can already breakout, they just have to use their brains. scripted events only dull intelligence
3. dev time could be better spent on improving simple WvW things like better tools to organize groups

Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

what happens if the superior troups decide to not-cap the last supply-camp from the losing server? Just don’t cap it in order to prevent the breakout-events… ?!

" when a team has lost control of all defensive structures, not counting supply camps."

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: urzen.7096

urzen.7096

Camps are excluded. But see, you already found an exploit!

Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

Will there be any timer? As someone mentioned, you can get stuck in combat mode sometimes.

I’m sure that the instances where you get stuck in combat and are forced to log off are likely so rare that, when this happens, the person says “oh well, no biggie”.

Though in reality I expect the person to come on the forums and whine like a kid about having lost a measly 1-2 silver.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Awesome! Looking forward to it!

in WvW

Posted by: Halo.8976

Halo.8976

I hoped for leaderboards, unclimbable walls, WvW builds, WvW bank and reward for defended donkeys.
Oh well, Breakout Events sound awesome. I thought you forgot about this part of your game, Anet.

in WvW

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

How hard is it to kill the NPC commander in the breakout events by opposing teams?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Nepumuk.6071

Nepumuk.6071

Alt+F4 is no escape
If someone that you’re fighting disconnects during combat (via Alt+F4, killing the client process, etc.) their character will be instantly killed, death penalties will be applied, and XP & loot will be handed out as usual.

Why not instead leave the character of the player in the game for 10-20 seconds, vulnerable to attacks? This alternative method seems to be well established in plenty of similar online games, as it would avoid issues like being stuck in combat state without actually being attacked. If no enemy manages to kill this player within the time-frame, then no one should get any loot or death penalty.

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Better late than never. I hope the Breakout is the first of a number of improvements that will give players from both sides incentives to play on, because wvw only happens when opposing players have reason enough to show up. Having one side utterly dominate actually kills wvw for everyone.

in WvW

Posted by: Panda Bloodshire.1836

Panda Bloodshire.1836

Rewards,where are the rewards!

in WvW

neon.4863

Alt+F4 is no escape

Why not instead leave the character of the player in the game for 10-20 seconds, vulnerable to attacks? This alternative method seems to be well established in plenty of similar online games, as it would avoid issues like being stuck in combat state without actually being attacked. If no enemy manages to kill this player within the time-frame, then no one should get any loot or death penalty.

That sounds like a fair alternative to me.

in WvW

Posted by: Halo.8976

Halo.8976

Answer: this just harder to code.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeden.5896

Aeden.5896

Alt+F4 is no escape

(first, it’s awesome we’re getting these updates for Christmas, <333’s)

Exactly. While the penalty sounds like a satisfyingly brutal “F U” to ALT-F4’rs from Arenanet, this just totally sucks for people that legitimately disconnect.

Sometimes my computer just reboots for no reason, do I get the death penalty? Sometimes the client crashes. Death penalty? Sometimes my cable modem just disconnects. What then?

in WvW

Posted by: Sir William PD.9615

Sir William PD.9615

Incoming badge farming at the breakout events!

-Thoryn Stormbrew, Dolyak Slayer
Purple Dragons – Fort Aspenwood
www.purpledragons.net

in WvW

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

The break out events sound cool.

Nice to see some new content.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)