Is a mechanical autoclicker bannable?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Avalyah.5987

Avalyah.5987

Hello,

After doing the math on my Thirst Slayer achievement, I realised it is going to hurt my fingers. So I thought of another way…

I know that software autoclickers are not allowed (at least I think so), but what about a device that I built with my lego which utilises a simple crankset to manually click the left mouse button? It does about 14 clicks/s at the moment (could easily go higher, but that is not the point).

Can I get banned for something like this? Will the game automatically detect that I am clicking very fast for longer periods of time and ban me like it happens with bots?

Here is a quick movie of the device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJhLcZozAA&feature=youtu.be

Thanks in advance for your answer :)

EDIT: It is not software, but I am not sure if it doesn’t fall within “You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.”

EDIT2: Or is there perhaps a certain clicking speed that I can’t exceed?

(edited by Avalyah.5987)

Posted by: Fu Ling U.6918

Fu Ling U.6918

I love this one, but I think it will give you a ban when detected…… (>>going to find those old boxes with lego again<<)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

We’re not really in a position to give specifics like “How much can I get by with?”

While we are not, as we’ve stated many (a thousand? ) times, in a position to “vet” any particular program, it seems to me that auto-clickers are programs that do appear to give an advantage to those who use them. And that is against the rules, as you can read in the sticky post about our policices on Third-Party Programs.

I clicked 10,000 times for each of certain titles that I got in Guild Wars, and never resorted to using an auto-clicker. I suggest you do that same because these programs do not seem to conform to our Rules of Conduct or our User Agreement.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Avalyah.5987

That’s a bummer.

Well, thank you for your answer, it looks like I will have a lot of clicking to do

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

That’s a bummer.

Well, thank you for your answer, it looks like I will have a lot of clicking to do

I know, it’s a pain in the patoot… finger, but just take your time and do it over a period rather than trying it in one setting.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Are you sure about this Gaile? The sticky states the policies are made clear in the User Agreement. The User Agreement explicitly states software, not hardware. That’s most definitely a piece of hardware.

Or are you saying this is a “cheat”?

Does this mean that a person who uses a mechanical device to simultaneously operate multiple keyboards (i.e. multi-boxing mechanically) is also operating against the ToS?

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Mechanical = non-human interaction. And since we’ve stated that one action per one key use per player, and if it’s not a human that is doing the interacting, that seems cheat-ish to me.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Gaile, I’d like to also address Thedenofsin.

The term “Third Party Software” covers both software and/or components (i.e. hardware). Here’s the copy/pasta of the section this comes from:

“15. THIRD PARTY TECHNOLOGY
You acknowledge that (i) the Game may contain other software or components that are either owned by a third party or in the public domain, and (ii) NCSOFT has no proprietary interest in such software or components (collectively and each, the “Third Party Software”), and as such, cannot grant you a license to use such Third-Party Software.”

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Gaile, I’d like to also address Thedenofsin.

The term “Third Party Software” covers both software and/or components (i.e. hardware). Here’s the copy/pasta of the section this comes from:

“15. THIRD PARTY TECHNOLOGY
You acknowledge that (i) the Game may contain other software or components that are either owned by a third party or in the public domain, and (ii) NCSOFT has no proprietary interest in such software or components (collectively and each, the “Third Party Software”), and as such, cannot grant you a license to use such Third-Party Software.”

Thank you, SP, that’s very helpful of you and provides a different level of response that will assist with understanding this issue.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Going foward, I think Anet should use the term “Third Party Technology” instead of “Third Party Software”. It clears up the misunderstandings with players who hear the word “software”, and don’t know that it covers other things collectively.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Just be creative instead. Bind click to your scroll wheel to multiclick very fast. Bind click to your entire numpad and bakitten like an angry german kid. Get two mice and program every button as a click, start mashing away double handed. Get a cheap midi keyboard and make every note a click, start playing it like Mozart. Get a midi drumpad and bind one to click, roll it like slipknot.
Every click will be done by you personally, yet you can control how easy it is to mash multiple keys as fast as possible.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Avalyah.5987

Those are some interesting suggestions, but well, it makes me wonder, what is the difference between various methods of clicking? It makes me click much faster than a regular player, and this is, I guess, why it is considered cheating. All those methods you mentioned I can achieve with my device and while technically it will not be me clicking, the result would be the same.

Furthermore, I do not know what the detecting techniques are. It is obvious that they can’t say if it is me clicking or someone/something else, if I am not using any software, but I guess there is a possibility to check the frequency of clicks, how fast are they and so on and so forth. If so, even if I tried doing it with 2 mice or using my numpad, it could alert those systems and get me banned.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Those are some interesting suggestions, but well, it makes me wonder, what is the difference between various methods of clicking? It makes me click much faster than a regular player, and this is, I guess, why it is considered cheating. All those methods you mentioned I can achieve with my device and while technically it will not be me clicking, the result would be the same.

Furthermore, I do not know what the detecting techniques are. It is obvious that they can’t say if it is me clicking or someone/something else, if I am not using any software, but I guess there is a possibility to check the frequency of clicks, how fast are they and so on and so forth. If so, even if I tried doing it with 2 mice or using my numpad, it could alert those systems and get me banned.

I would suggest not to discuss or even think bout detecting techniques. We dont need to know how they work to obey to the rules.

You are right there isn’t a sharp line between whats acceptable and what isn’t but some grey area.

For example.
For GW1 you could use a program called texmod. This could change the graphics in game. Off course changing it in such a way that you character has a brighter white skirt didnt have any advantage.

But how about changing the colour of undiscovered parts of the map to more easily see what you have discovered and what not?? It’s and advantage, but not unfair. You still need to go there and actually discover it. What bout an indicator of different range of skills on the mini-map??

In the end texmod was considered to be ok (though unsupported).

In gw1 I had a farming run that only needed to click 10 keys (flowers in pre-seering outside the abbey). With your autoclicker it is a very small step to automate that and be a bot.

The fact that you don’t intend to go further doesnt allow it. an autoclicker is actually a very rudimentary version of a bot. They fall in the same group of programs (software designed to automate gameplay). So dont go there. if you want to cheat play a solo rpg.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

We all had to do the same thing in GW1. Drunkard, party animal, sweet tooth, etc.
The number of clicks looks daunting from the start, but once you start doing it they go fast. And it is an achievement for a reason.

Avalyah.5987

The fact that you don’t intend to go further doesnt allow it. an autoclicker is actually a very rudimentary version of a bot. They fall in the same group of programs (software designed to automate gameplay). So dont go there. if you want to cheat play a solo rpg.

Never did I say I want to cheat. It is quite obvious I cannot automate the gameplay with it. Unless clicking 75 000 times is gameplay. If so, am I really automating it? The policy about macros says it can be only one action per one key and if so, it is ok. The other methods mentioned by marnikc would also fall for that category, right? Furthermore, my clicker doesn’t give me any real advantage over regular players. Assuming I would set it to about 5-6 clicks/s it would do the clicking at the same speed I do, with the only difference it could do that for longer without hurting fingers (because it doesn’t have any). Who cares if I am doing it or my little mechanical arm? And then, if I created a robot that could play GW2 (awesome) and let it play on my account would it mean I am botting?

I believe there is a serious difference between a software autoclicker that can do 1000 clicks/s and a device that I built myself that can do no more than 30, and can be easily adjusted to do more humanly possible 6-7 clicks/s.

At this point I am discussing purely theoretically, I am not going to use my contraption.

Posted by: village idiot.1436

village idiot.1436

Interesting thread, I use an auto clicker that presses one repeatedly while I hold the corresponding mouse button down. The reason for this is due to the grenade kit lack of auto attack literally caused me to develop a repetitive strain injury. It is only in recent months I think that auto attacks were added for the other kits.

I do not use this software in a “bot-like” fashion while akitten. Curious as to whether this is violation?

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

One action, one function.
Action=button press.
Function=one skill cast, one number press, etc etc.
Beyond that is grey area, Arenanet doesn’t do grey.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Nienke.2843

Nienke.2843

Ok, so automated 3rd person programs are not allowed. But can i use a program with which i can rebind my left mouse button to a key on the keyboard?

I am still manually buying and drinking the drinks and it is not automated. I find pressing a key on the keyboard easier / more comfortable than clicking the mouse.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Ok, so automated 3rd person programs are not allowed. But can i use a program with which i can rebind my left mouse button to a key on the keyboard?

I am still manually buying and drinking the drinks and it is not automated. I find pressing a key on the keyboard easier / more comfortable than clicking the mouse.

Can you not do that just from the game settings? I’m a lefty and I like to use my mouse left-handed, so I’ve remapped all my skills to my number pad. I haven’t tried to remap my mouse buttons, but I thought I saw that as an option.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.