Question about Trademark Names

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

So what happens if a player makes a character name, and a year later from making that character name, a company out there in the world trademarks it? Does that player get penalized with a 72 hour ban and forced rename?

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

If the copyright owner contacted us to ask for a change, we would accommodate that request. Those of us choosing character names do not “own” them, nor have a copyright on them. Therefore, someone who does pay the fees and files the documents gets precedence.

Naturally, if someone uses a name that is already bound by copyright, the same process would apply.

Our practice with names has changed to be kinder and gentler than it once was for first offenders. In most cases, if someone has a disallowed name, we will simply flag the name for rename but we will not place the account under suspension for the first offense. The player must rename to access the character, but he/she can play without a time-out. If someone chooses an offensive re-name, or uses offensive names in the future, then he or she would be subject to suspension(s).

So in this case, if someone copyrights a term and it becomes bound by law with a corporate or individual Intellectual Property, we’ll handle it with a rename but not penalty.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

I get what you mean. But it’s a good idea not to call it an offense for this situation at least. The word offense gives the impression that the player did something bad or wrong. Yes I know what you’re saying. In this case the player chose the nickname before the copyright or trademark became live, even though the player does not own the name.

Why only first time offenders? So if this same thing happened twice, second time I’d get 72 hour ban?

One more thing, what would actually prompt the name change? A player report, or would it actually require the company to contact Anet? I can almost guarantee that no company is going to care about a casual player who isn’t even making money from such a nickname in an online game. The only people who will probably even care at most would either be Anet staff who are doing their job, and people reporting players. End of the day, how much importance is placed on the rule?

One last thing? What does this apply to? Local copyright/trademarks, or international? If local, local to where?

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

(edited by Loli Ruri.8307)