Sales Tax for buying gems?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: aliengmr.7381

aliengmr.7381

About a week ago I purchased gems and there was no Tax. Now after this new billing system there is a Sales Tax.

As far as I know my area doesn’t have an internet Sales Tax, so… What happened? This tax covers the entire US now?

I would appreciate a bit more clarification on that.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well it’s not national, as in the US, yet. However that doesn’t mean states can’t pass laws to implement one themselves, see “Amazon Tax”. You’re going to have to check to see if your state now has one as of Dec 1st.

Now a cursory look I don’t see any new internet sales tax implemented. Maybe you were getting away without paying before and now with the new system they make sure it’s out of your pocket and not their’s. Or the new system is busted.

So what state?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Yeah, getting the same in Europe. Can’t recall this Tax before. Probably their new payment system provider pocketing some extra money. It does say that the total is going to be €50 even though it lists a €10 Tax with it at the Confirm screen though. Oh well, doesn’t matter, I only receive a “failed” error message when trying to give ArenaNet some money. Why in the world they wanted to change to this new provider is beyond me, they must be losing money on it. I basically decided to not buy Gems after all because of this Tax showing up and the fact that it just “failed” three times in a row.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Europe’s VAT was always included in the price. The US laws regarding online transactions do vary. Some laws require a company to have a physical presence in the state before taxes can be charged. Some companies charge tax regardless, because they’re good about reporting everything properly.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Amon.5042

Amon.5042

Adding sales tax (or finally enforcing it) with no prior explanation or modicum of context isn’t nice. That’s a good deterrent for people not to buy directly from the store and go for gem cards instead. It could now be cheaper to buy a 2,000 gem card for 30 bucks from a well know game cards site (or from a physical store). Or not buy anything at all.

Posted by: aliengmr.7381

aliengmr.7381

Colorado, and there is no Internet Sales Tax here, that I’m aware of. But this didn’t happen until they switched the billing.

If there is a reason for it, I would like to know. Its a little strange that GW2 gems are the only internet purchase I see a sales tax on.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Colorado, and there is no Internet Sales Tax here, that I’m aware of. But this didn’t happen until they switched the billing.

If there is a reason for it, I would like to know. Its a little strange that GW2 gems are the only internet purchase I see a sales tax on.

Well, the Government of Colorado says you may pay internet sales tax when purchasing, or you may not. But, tax is owed either way.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue/REVX/1187858027372

Make of it what you will.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That’s “use tax” and pretty much every state has that kind of self reporting of mail order goods. Not really enforceable due to the lack of ability to track it but I agree that “Lucy got some ’splainin to do!” if they are collecting taxes that don’t need to be.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

As you may be aware, we changed to a new billing system last week. The system providers have fully reviewed the legal requirements related to sales tax (or its equivalent) and a charge is added to purchases in those states, provinces, regions, or countries that require taxation.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet