Shadow Behemoth doesn't always spawn [Merged]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It seems that many players (myself included) are having a devil of a time trying to get the Shadow Behemoth to spawn, as discussed in this thread. I myself have waited around in Queensdale for 5 hours without ever seeing the Swamp shift past the “dormant” stage. (Some players have reported waiting for even longer!) We’re now wondering if something might be bugged with the quest chain that is causing it not to start.

Could a dev look into this and check whether something is indeed broken? It may help us if you give us a hint as to what it is that triggers the start of the event, so that more players can help test.

For the players, post here with your server if you have not seen the Shadow Behemoth or his meta-event chain start despite waiting in or around the Swamp for more than 2 or 3 hours. That way, if it is a bug, the devs can probably jump-start individual servers.

Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Casiope.6810

Casiope.6810

Same here on Vizunah Square.
I’ve been waiting for now 12 hours in the Godslost Swamp and I haven’t seen any event. The swamp is always dormant. I will be gratefull if a dev could confirm this is a bug so I can move somewhere else.

Posted by: Schnitzelweck.7690

Schnitzelweck.7690

Same on Miller’s Sound. I waited 3 hours, destroyed all the portals, spawned the two veteran-portals… nothing happened.

In the german forum is also a thread about that issue.

(edited by Schnitzelweck.7690)

Posted by: ButtercupSaiyan.9457

ButtercupSaiyan.9457

The same thing happened to me today and it took about 3 hours or so to clear the area of goodies, waypoints, and the Veteran Marsh Drake several times. It was dormant the entire time after I completed the Heart quest.

Posted by: ButtercupSaiyan.9457

ButtercupSaiyan.9457

Is it because it’s a Group Event perhaps? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Secrets_in_the_Swamp Is there a certain number of people that need to be met?

Posted by: Lord Awesomeness.1804

Lord Awesomeness.1804

I killed Shadow Behemoth last night on Stormbluff Isle. It would be nice to know what the triggers were so it would be easier to see if it’s bugged or not. It’s working on some servers anyway.

Posted by: Smiter.3861

Smiter.3861

On Tarnished Coast, I have spent hours in the past trying everything possible to trigger this event. I have given up, and do not even check anymore to see if swamp monster ever wakes up. I see many folks in map chat asking others when they saw the monster last.

Posted by: Casiope.6810

Casiope.6810

I stayed 7 more hours today in Godslost Swamp and nothing. I’m pretty sure this metaevent is bugged on Vizunah Square. I can’t spend all my time in game waiting for something that is bugged.

Could a dev confirm this bug ?

Zaxares.5419

Still no sign of the Shadow Behemoth despite checking frequently on Tarnished Coast last night and once again this morning. During that time, Frozen Maw spawned at least 3 times, while Wychmire Swamp spawned twice. I’d say there is definitely something bugged with the Secrets in the Swamp meta-event on some servers.

Posted by: Tom Stone.3190

Tom Stone.3190

Aurora Glade haven’t seen Behemoth since before Halloween. People from my guild (including me) have been camping in the swamp for days now, both idle and doing various things (spawning fleshreavers, killing portals, the usual stuff) and nothing sem to trigger the pre-events for the boss, while other world bosses on lvl 1-15 locations have ben triggering normally (i pass near the maw once every day and there is an event there almost every time).

So, if a dev is reading this and this is somehow NOT a bug – at least let us know what is the trigger for the behemoth event chain – is it time-based or some other events must happen for it to launch?

Join the biggest Polish fansite: guildwars2.pl

Zaxares.5419

What’s particularly unusual is that we SHOULD have seen Secrets spawn at least once since the server update a couple of days ago, since server resets fix all other bugged events like skill point NPCs being permanently dead or events not completing properly.

Really hope we can get some feedback from a dev soon.

Posted by: Qnopsik El Qox.1269

Qnopsik El Qox.1269

This comment is marvelous.

And on topic:
I saw the Behemoth on Blacktide quite recently.
Someone said he camped the swamp for hours, and nothing. I’m curious did you have someone at the pre-event locations to camp for them also?
Wiki says here about three portal locations to accomplish before swamp portals event starts.

Rozalinda El Qox 80lvl Elem
Tiny Siege Turtles member
Blacktide player

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Tom Stone.3190

Tom Stone.3190

The location where you camp is basically anywhere @ swamp – the event indicator should chjange from “Swamp lies dormant” to whatever pre event just had started. The point is – it doesn’t and the 3 portal spawn points for pre events are empty.

Join the biggest Polish fansite: guildwars2.pl

Posted by: Qnopsik El Qox.1269

Qnopsik El Qox.1269

The location where you camp is basically anywhere @ swamp – the event indicator should chjange from “Swamp lies dormant” to whatever pre event just had started. …

I’m not sure you’re 100% correct.
Group events form the meta-event chain are full map visible, but i think that preevents have smaller scope, and if you are outside of the scope you get the “No event in range” info (“Swamp lies dormant” in Behemoth chain).
But that may be only my notion about workings of event assistant with metaevents.

Rozalinda El Qox 80lvl Elem
Tiny Siege Turtles member
Blacktide player

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

They aren’t exactly full map visible, but that meta event indicator the reads The Swamp Lies Dormant, will change to Underworld Forces Have Been Spotted Outside The Swamp when the event chain starts and you will be able to see that from anywhere the meta event indicator can be seen. So if you are in the swamp and it says the swamp is dormant the chain has not started (unless they changed it recently).

When underworld forces are outside the swamp that’s the three locations with portals, the oakheart grove, the monastery, aaaaaand over by the ettins.

Once all the portals are closed it then changes to There Is a Disturbance at The Heart of Godslost Swamp, and that is when the 3 portals spawn in the big open area of the swamp.
Once those are closed he spawns and the meta event indicator will again change, to something like Slay the Shadow Behemoth.

You should be able to see what stage the event is at from anywhere the indicator shows up, though if you are just entering the fringe it might appear with slightly out of date information; for example I have seen it display that it was at the disturbance phase while I could actually see the Behemoth in the distance, and then when I got a bit closer it updated to reflect that he’d already lost 25% of his health.

As for starting the chain, what I heard is that it involves the Vet Fleshreaver in some way, the one that spawns from the book just outside hut in the middle (Deathroot Shack). Supposedly killing it after the 3 hour cool down starts the chain again, but I’ve never had a chance to verify, though after killing him the other portals in the swamp seem more likely to spawn a Vet Aatxe.

I haven’t seen the Behemoth on Isle of Janthir since halloween started, though I keep getting second hand reports along the lines of “oh yeah someone said he was up yesterday”, but that could easily have just been someone asking if he was, I find too many people sort of half read chat and respond to questions as if they were statements.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

Next

We’re looking into this issue now, but as it’s definitely an edge case (working on some servers, not others), it may take us more time to identify what’s causing the problem. Thank you in advance for your patience as we work this out.

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Thanks for the FYI Jason.
I would like to address the fact that there is little to no info that i could find that triggers this event. It’s fine if it’s a secret, sure thing, but if it’s a typically bugged event might mean that is why it’s not really know how it triggers. Speaking to that fact that many of the other event chain triggers for the other dragons are pretty prevalent. I know the only time i got to fight him was in BWE, since it rarely spawned after release that i had a chance to notice.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Zaxares.5419

Thank you for the update, Jason. Hopefully you guys will be able to nail down the source of the issue soon.

I would also like to echo munkiman’s request for more information about the precise triggers that cause the meta-event to start. It would enable us to help you guys pin down whether or not the meta-event is broken on a particular server. At the very least, you could let us know whether or not Secrets in the Swamp is meant to be an exceedingly rare DE, or whether it’s meant to spawn on the same frequency as other meta-events in starters zones, such as the Frozen Maw, Battle in Wychmire Swamp etc.

Posted by: Tebasil.4961

Tebasil.4961

I have neeever eeever seen him.

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

If it helps to know… I have not seen this guy spawn on NSP for some time now. I spent several evenings sitting at the spawn waiting for him to spawn and have not seen him. Thanks.

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

I would like to address the fact that there is little to no info that i could find that triggers this event.

Every few hours (around 2 or 3, I think – although this changed from beta and then again soon after launch) portals will spawn in a nearby zone (near the ettins, at the oakheart grove, at the monastery, etc.). Kill those portals and 3 “special” portals will spawn in the swamp. Kill those and the Behemoth spawns.

At least that’s how it used to work at around launch; I haven’t really been back in that area for a while.

- Al Zheimer

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

I would like to address the fact that there is little to no info that i could find that triggers this event.

Every few hours (around 2 or 3, I think – although this changed from beta and then again soon after launch) portals will spawn in a nearby zone (near the ettins, at the oakheart grove, at the monastery, etc.). Kill those portals and 3 “special” portals will spawn in the swamp. Kill those and the Behemoth spawns.

At least that’s how it used to work at around launch; I haven’t really been back in that area for a while.

But what people are saying in this thread is that they aren’t spawning, which is the problem. None of the pre-event-events are happening. Since the game first launched I’ve only seen him once

Posted by: Sugram.3106

Sugram.3106

i play in Far Shiverpeaks server, when i play’d with my first char it spawned 1 time, new i play other char & it did not spawn, i w8 3h-4h

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

But what people are saying in this thread is that they aren’t spawning, which is the problem.

Yes, we’ve established that there’s a bug affecting some servers. That’s not what I was replying to.

- Al Zheimer

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

But what people are saying in this thread is that they aren’t spawning, which is the problem.

Yes, we’ve established that there’s a bug affecting some servers. That’s not what I was replying to.

Sorry, my mistake!
/promises to stop reading without coffee

Bumbled around in Borlis Pass yesterday and still nothing, which is a shame. Hopefully it’ll reset or be addressed in the upcoming patch.

Posted by: doenerfritze.2648

doenerfritze.2648

There are some suggestions in the thread below (and also linked in the first post), stating that this Event runs onetime after a server reset/update. That’s why it works sometimes and on some servers, I think. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/events/Swamp-lies-dormant-Anyone-seen-Shadow-Behemoth-lately/first#post746686
I hope this helps the devs, if they didn’t already seen this. ;-)

Haven’t seen him ever after the release. I waited multiple hours (~6h) on a day and asked my girlfriend to AFKing him (she is sitting next to me), when she doesn’t play, so that I can see when he comes. But we still never saw him in the last weeks. Also there weren’t any prequests or something like that. The swamp lies always dormant, which is now an insider in my guild.
If these resets were not at night in Germany, I would have been there to finish him.

Posted by: Zorgia.3250

Zorgia.3250

The Shadow Behemoth meta event in Queensdale on Gandara-EU has stopped working for a long time now. I’ve been in the zone most of the i’ve been online and i haven’t seen the event start a single time, several others in map chat are telling the same thing.

Posted by: Dagoh.3482

Dagoh.3482

I’ve heard that the event is triggered by talking to Taryn and summon the Fleshweaver. I’m not sure there is any connection, since the event that is triggered for the Fleshweaver, isn’t part of the meta event. However you could still give it a try and see what happens. Be sure that the event hasn’t run it’s course in a couple of hours. I don’t know the exact timer on the event. IF the event does not start, it would likely to be stuck.

Admin of GW2NL, the biggest Dutch-Belgian Community – http://www.gw2nl.nl

Posted by: ChaozCloud.7423

ChaozCloud.7423

Server: Ring of Fire
Been in Queens Dale for around 16h and none of the events have spawned.

Posted by: Odona.8402

Odona.8402

It’s been almost a month since that Meta Event is bugged.
Is there any ETA for a possibly fix ?

Posted by: Mespilia.2896

Mespilia.2896

There’s not an ETA for them agreeing that there’s a problem with this and a huge number of other events/meta-events.

Posted by: Raijjn.8256

Raijjn.8256

you can bank on the fact that if it doesn’t benefit anet’s wallet, it’ll get fixed, “when & IF” they decide to fix it.. and then it’ll only be fixed if it benefits them.. they got your money already, now they hope to get more.. and until they do, they don’t fix anything

Posted by: Snows.6503

Snows.6503

What is the status on this fix? Why is there no info to whats wrong with the event?

Posted by: Rugna.9850

Rugna.9850

Server: Sanctum of Hall
3 days camped in the swamp and nothing happened …
Arena.net help us.

Posted by: malevolence.9487

malevolence.9487

Server: Underworld

The Shadow Behemoth have been in a long long vacation already, about 3 months now. Was this Event removed?

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

We’re looking into this issue now, but as it’s definitely an edge case (working on some servers, not others), it may take us more time to identify what’s causing the problem. Thank you in advance for your patience as we work this out.

It’s great that this bug was acknowledged and that you’re looking into it. I get that this could be a complicated bug and isn’t fixed overnight, but it would be nice to get an update on this, since your post is now a month old. Thanks in advance!

Posted by: BaergusMaximus.6904

BaergusMaximus.6904

My growing disappointment with this game came to a peak tonight when trying to play with some friends in open world PvE and we see that the Shadow Behemoth had just spawned. We rushed over to find that not only were there no players there to help us in combating the giant, but that we couldn’t target the portals OR the Shadow Behemoth itself. Seriously ANet, I know no one does open world pve since it has been completely destroyed by the introduction of the Fractals, but could you at least have it working properly? Thanks.

(edited by BaergusMaximus.6904)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I haven’t seen this event happening since more than two months. I’ve asked both in-game and in forums and to my guildies, and no one has seen it happening.

Why is it that every time something is bugged on any server, it’ll be bugged too in Baruch Bay?
At least other servers have things that works and things that do not, but Baruch seems to collect all of them bugs, sometimes even keeping them after updates state that they have been fixed.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I’ve been playing since launch and I have never gotten to fight the Shadow Behemoth.
Tarnished Coast, by the way. Probably a combination of bad timing, and him breaking at some point.

Previous

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

Next

Thank you for your patience, everyone! There were a couple blocked events that needed to trigger the Shadow Behemoth; fortunately, we now have potential fixes for these issues in the works: he should be back soon!

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

Thanks Jason King, we need and want more responses like this about things that seem so … iffy.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Awesome. Thank You.

LET THE BEAST OUT!!!

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Zaxares.5419

Thank you for your patience, everyone! There were a couple blocked events that needed to trigger the Shadow Behemoth; fortunately, we now have potential fixes for these issues in the works: he should be back soon!

Thanks for the update, Jason.

By this, I can infer that the events needed to trigger the Shadow Behemoth are probably linked to the Defend the Monastery from Centaurs, the ale delivery event with Sister Brenda, and possibly the Rotting Champion Oakheart in Greatheart Weald. When I was waiting around in Queensdale for the Behemoth, all those events didn’t spawn for hours, which was highly unusual.

EDIT: In the meantime, there’s been a server reset today for general maintenance, which means that the Shadow Behemoth’s events should be working for a few repetitions. If you haven’t seen him yet, get over to Queensdale and hope for the best!

Posted by: Odona.8402

Odona.8402

Can’t wait for it to be back , it’s really the best made World Boss out there

Posted by: Wren Featherflight.1682

Wren Featherflight.1682

The Shadow Behemoth is standing there but cannot be targeted. Also AoE spells don’t do any damage. He is currently indestructable. I spent about an hour trying to effect the beast.

Posted by: judeobscure.2537

judeobscure.2537

Shadow Behemoth is still unable to be targeted/damaged although he is able to damage us. Just letting you guys know.

ty

its hard to remember we’re alive for the first time
its hard to remember we’re alive for the last time

Posted by: mindrover.7643

mindrover.7643

Just wanted to say that I’m pretty sure it’s also failing to spawn on Dragonbrand, although I haven’t been as thorough as some of you guys.

Posted by: pzyonix.1645

pzyonix.1645

Far Shiverpeaks Server:
2 players confirmed seeing the shadow behemoth last night (UK hours) twice, but couldn’t target him nor the portals. I myself have been camping around for half the day now and it just won’t trigger. On a sidenote: The Rotten Oakheart Event at Greatheart Weald hasn’t spawned during this period as well.

What exactly triggers the Shadowbehemoth event chain other than just waiting 150 minutes (as stated on wiki) for it to happen? Do we need more players in the area? Finish ‘named’ event that prevent it from happening? Is it only happening during daytime/nighttime? Do we have to meet a certain unmentioned killcount on Aatxes?

If we knew, that way the players can send better feedback about what the issue is on their specific server. I’m sure this info will receive many cheers from both parties.

Posted by: Snows.6503

Snows.6503

We need some continuation on this issue. I know that ANet is busy with the holiday thing but we cant forget about the main game. As pzyonix said I have also not seen the Rotten Oakheart Event happen in a while -“Fort Aspenwood”-. It seems that there are a good several messed up events in this map that need some attention.

Previous

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

Next

While it looks like the events chaining to Shadow Behemoth got fixed on some servers, we found some additional points that are stopping it from spawning on others that we’ll be working on.

On that note, we haven’t been able to duplicate the issue with portals/the Shadow Behemoth being untargetable. It is intended that the Shadow Behemoth is only targetable after the portals are destroyed during the event. I don’t know if that’ll help explain some of the weirdness that’s being described, but we aren’t seeing the same problem on our end.

If you continue to see the portals/behemoth as untargetable when he does spawn, please provide additional information, such as your profession, server, etc. so we can investigate further. Thank you!

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed