[Bug] Archer's range 2000 instead of 1500

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Every ranged weapon can hit a little farther than the range limit indicates.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

i am trying to post more pictures but does not let me I don’t know how to post more pictures. But this is a bug specifically for rangers that gives them and extra 500 range.

Turamarth.3248

How exactly does it work? Does it require any specific traits or something like that?
How do you measure the distance?

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

(edited by Turamarth.3248)

Hitman.5829

How exactly does it work? Does it require any specific traits or something like that?
How do you measure the distance?

Ps: Can you add pictures to your second post?

Yeah, i got pictures added finally. I used the leap skill #3 from the Great Sword which gives 1100 range. i used 2 leaps so the distance traveled is 2200. you can see that i passed the object by a small distance; it looks like around 200 range. Thus, the whole distance is 2000. The long bow should have a maximum range of 1500 when traited.

Clearly is giving more than 1500 looks like 2000 range; that is 500 more than intended. THAT IS A LOT!

(edited by Hitman.5829)

Hitman.5829

I did this on my warrior with a long bow and it hits for 1000 units as expected. to measure the distance i used the leap skill #2 from the sword. I used 2 leaps, therefore the distance traveled was 1200. On the pictures you see I passed a small distance of around 200 units. Therefore, the original distance was of 1000 JUST AS EXPECTED. There is no bug on the warrior bow range.

Attachments:

Turamarth.3248

You are hitting the enemy despite the skill being underlined with red which as far as I know means that the enemy is out of distance.
This is what I meant with range limit.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Hitman.5829

You are hitting the enemy despite the skill being underlined with red which as far as I know means that the enemy is out of distance.
This is what I meant with range limit.

Not with warrior bow; when you have the red marker under the skill the range is still 1000 units. Try it!

Hitman.5829

Bumped this needs more attention. This bug cannot be continued to be abused!

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Arrows arc, and shooting to a lower elevation increases your range. Pretty sure this has been confirmed as intended behavior, not a bug.

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Quick nerf rangers! They are clearly op with pets that can’t hit anything making up 30% of their damage…

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Hitman.5829

More evidence:

Attachments:

Posted by: leebe.2093

leebe.2093

maybe the leap skill is wrong?
have you tried the “Sic ’Em” skill to measure the distance? it has a 2000 range

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

I have done some tests of my own a while ago for the ranger lb. Here you can see exactly how far it reaches:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eLsLgA_zE4Q

Basically, horizontally it will reach targets 1,960 away and if you shoot a mob from a higher place such as a cliff, then it may reach as far as 2,400.

(edited by frifox.5283)

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Anet themselves have stated there is a buffer for tracking, and yeah projectiles keep going beyond range… except pistols because those don’t count >.>

oh and ele scepter air 1 (I think does) and mesmer gs 1 (I know does) have a buffer on that. Reason given was so that if your target moves just out of range due to latency you can still hit, the reverse also applied if it was outside and moves just in range, you still can’t hit. The buffer was ~+/-15% I believe. This is obviously a bit more to it due to projectile and height. It is actually realistic but I agree this goes beyond how it should work. Take WvW npc archers for instance… so annoying.

This should classify it as more of a bug than intended, but likely will remain as such.

Is nice to see more accurate testing has been done on it.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Arrows arc, and shooting to a lower elevation increases your range. Pretty sure this has been confirmed as intended behavior, not a bug.

Pretty much this.

I don’t know if it was ever confirmed as intended, but considering it’s been this way since launch, it may as well be.

It’s not just related to the trait – Untraited Ranger Longbow will hit further than 1200.

Staff ele can hit at about 1500 as well (except air), despite being marked as 1200.

Anything that has a bit of a curve to the projectile path

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

(edited by Halcyon.7352)

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Here is one of the links, #17 in his list. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/List-of-Mesmer-Bugs-Older-Thread/3750901
listed here for convenience:
“Intended. All ranged and melee skills have a 15% buffer range to take account for tracking.”

There was another post but I am unable to find it. I searched for this because there still seems to be confusion despite trying to make this clear, and showing a dev post is helpful.

Although pistol doesn’t count as ranged (nor melee obviously) because it does not have this buffer (mesmer 5, thief pistol skills, etc., not sure about engi as I haven’t played enough to see)

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Although 1500 to 2000 is 25% increase. And 2400 is just crazy. I understand its because of the arrows arch but still…. This is really over powered in my opinion. And with the upcoming ranger buffs I think this really needs a fix. Being able to unload rapid fire so quickly from such a great range will be kinda crazy.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

this isnt even remotely an issue since the only places this could be abused in a player’s favor is in a pvp environment and after the skill range limit the arrows wont accurately track a moving target.

Andraus.3874

this isnt even remotely an issue since the only places this could be abused in a player’s favor is in a pvp environment and after the skill range limit the arrows wont accurately track a moving target.

I could be wrong but I believe that as the projectile speed increases the tracking also improves rather significantly. With new ranger traits and with quickness rapid fire is going to be really fast.

Posted by: DrOrange.9230

DrOrange.9230

No, this isn’t op and no, it isn’t a bug. Stop it

Andraus.3874

No, this isn’t op and no, it isn’t a bug. Stop it

That’s you’re opinion. Bottom line is this is more than 15 percent buffer, and therefore it is not working as intended. I personally define this as a bug.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

i can’t dislike the OP more….whine more about a garbage class, who can’t be farther from a need for further fix-nerfs (front spirit).

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Andraus.3874

i can’t dislike the OP more….whine more about a garbage class, who can’t be farther from a need for further fix-nerfs (front spirit).

The frost spirit bug was not known until after the OP made this thread. Or if it was known, there was no thread created in this forum about it until after this thread. It’s also not the OP’s fault that frost spirit is bugged. A bug is a bug and gets reported here. Please stop derailing.

Hitman.5829

Here is one of the links, #17 in his list. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/List-of-Mesmer-Bugs-Older-Thread/3750901
listed here for convenience:
“Intended. All ranged and melee skills have a 15% buffer range to take account for tracking.”

There was another post but I am unable to find it. I searched for this because there still seems to be confusion despite trying to make this clear, and showing a dev post is helpful.

Although pistol doesn’t count as ranged (nor melee obviously) because it does not have this buffer (mesmer 5, thief pistol skills, etc., not sure about engi as I haven’t played enough to see)

Nice find, however I did some more testing with the “sick-em" skill which says it has a range of 2000 just like leebe.2093 suggested. I found the longbow range to be a bit less than 2000 possibly 1960 as suggested by frifox.5283. However, if it is true that range skills have a 15% buffer and if “Sick em” is affected by this 15% increase range then the total range of sick em is 2300. This means that the long bow range is between 2200 and 2300.

Now, the longbow range should be 1500 as stated by the skill description, but if we take the 15% buff then the long bow range should be maximum 1730. Clearly there is an extra 500 range being added to the maximum possible range of the longbow. From the test it looks like the longbow is getting a +47% buffer. Thus, we can only conclude that this is a bug!

EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention is that the tests were made with a stationary golem in PvP. So, the 15% buffer might not be taking place when adding the total range for moving objects. When you think about this it makes you wonder what is the actual total range for the longbow; could it be more than 2300? That is scary! This obviously needs attention because rangers are becoming familiar with this bug and they are exploiting this in PvP and in WvW. I am one of those who use this bug, but I recognize this is over powered.

(edited by Hitman.5829)

Lunacy Solacio.6514

not all ranged has the buffer. Sic em is an absolute range. From what I’ve seen Thief pistol has no buffer (while shortbow 1 does with both being 900 range, trait change will give pistol the appearance of having something akin to this in 2 days), we know shadowstep, blink, mesmer phantasm skills (ex: GS 4, pistol 4), etc., all don’t have a buffer. It is things like shortbow, longbow, mesmer GS 1, most melee attacks (should… although some I don’t think do from the way they seem to miss sometimes).

Edit: You are right that some attacks go beyond the range they should, and this will get worse until Anet is forced to fix it. When a zerk ranger is on, say, SM wall ‘pew pew’ing I just take my thief and cluster bomb, maybe poison too, and proceed to annoy that ranger as much as they annoyed me. Rapid fire? sb3.

Trust me though, no one abuses this as much as Veteran Archers!!!
although one ranger I’ve dealt with about 2 months ago came close… also died a number of times when sm wall was broken, and I can’t imagine by who
>.>
<.<

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

The frost spirit bug was not known until after the OP made this thread. Or if it was known, there was no thread created in this forum about it until after this thread. It’s also not the OP’s fault that frost spirit is bugged. A bug is a bug and gets reported here. Please stop derailing.

hall monitor.
almost no skill bugs get fixed….this “bug” doesn’t matter and won’t after patch. adding it to the long list just means one more broken mesmer AI bug will be ingored for another year.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Hitman.5829

Hey guys I wont let this post die until it gets the proper attention from developers. I won’t let it die specially with the Rapid Shot casting time buffed on September patch. This needs a look from developers and a hot fix as soon as possible. Do not get me wrong, I love my ranger too but come on this is extremely overpowered.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

You’ve reported what you think is a bug. Unless you have new information about it, move on. Spamming the forums or continuing to post in this thread in order to bump it to the top is just going to get you put in time-out.

FYI, it’s not a bug (linked dev post confirms that), and it’s not OP.

Hitman.5829

You’ve reported what you think is a bug. Unless you have new information about it, move on. Spamming the forums or continuing to post in this thread in order to bump it to the top is just going to get you put in time-out.

It is a bug, measurement confirms that!

Andraus.3874

Actually the linked dev responses confirms it is a bug. Guess you didn’t take the time to read them. 15 percent does not equal 25 percent which means bug.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I could be wrong but I believe that as the projectile speed increases the tracking also improves rather significantly. With new ranger traits and with quickness rapid fire is going to be really fast.

True, but tracking assumes the target is within range. At ~2000, chances of hitting a mobile target with a ranger longbow are really low. Now, if the target is stationary…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Andraus.3874

I agree but even one hit puts you in combat making it hard to get away in wvw. Especially if the ranger is running with others who aren’t in combat as they didn’t hit me which means they can easily catch me. If that makes sense…

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Just a FYI. Post by a dev months ago (no—im not going to dig for it—-if some enterprising individual wants to—go for it) that yes, ranged weapons hit further than their posted descriptions.
If memory serves, this was because to accommodate terrain features/ contours/ bumps etc, that a projectile has to traverse, they had to do it this way. If they did not have it thus, projectile weapons would fall-short of their range descriptions, and would end up in the opposite predicament.

Hope that helps some.

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

With my thief I have noticed that although pistol and shortbow supposedly have the same range, I can shoot farther with the shortbow because of arcing. I can also hit targets with the bow that would be obstructed with the pistol. This is not to say that the bow is unfairly overpowered. Rather the pistol is kitten as a long range weapon. I still use pistol, but mostly for close range effects like blinding powder as it is too unreliable at a distance compared to the bow.

I think a couple of recent buffs of pistol effects such as the ricochet trait might have been an attempt to address this issue, but they have not solved it for me.

All this being said, this is not a bug, but an intentional feature.

Andraus.3874

If you read the entire thread you would understand that ranger longbow buffer range exceeds 15% which means it is a bug according to other dev posts linked in this thread.

In fact you don’t even need to dig for the thread shadey dancer is talking about because it’s above. Seriously read the thread before you respond thanks.

(edited by Andraus.3874)