11 FPS on lowest graphical settings

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Most likely not a bug – but I need help to fix this issue.
Up until last week, my GW2 experience was flawless on my PC. I acquired a new PC for my personal use which is a step up from my previous one and installed GW2 (I also download gw2-64, which is what I used by default). My new setup is as follows:

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Model: All Series
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/26/15 20:13:03 Ver: 05.06.05
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16286MB RAM
Page File: 2887MB used, 29682MB available

Display Devices
GPU: AMD Radeon™ R9 380 Series
Display Memory: 3816 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4072 MB
Shared Memory: 3840 MB
Current Mode: 1920 × 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 2310 Series Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP 2310
Monitor Id: HWP288E
Native Mode: 1920 × 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1433 (English)
Driver Version: 15.301.1201.0
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
CDRIVE: Corsair Neutron XT SSD SCSI Disk Device
DDrive:ST2000DX 001-1NS164 SCSI Disk Device
In short, this should be as good if not better than my previous PC.

I was therefore, shocked, when all I could manage was 3 FPS with the graphics set to Auto. I lowered the graphics to lowest and the best I could manage was 11 FPS. The network connection was fine .. tested that. I carried out the -diag test. I’ve attached the not network log.

I also ran a test using GPU-Z senser but I’m bu99ered if I can make head or tails of that (ran the monitoring while I stood/ran about in Lion’s Arch on lowest setting for a few minutes). I also took ascreenshot of the screen:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/VZgnlZY.jpg?1[/img]

Would very much appreciate some advice.. starting to get withdrawal symptoms :-(

Attachments:

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

Posted by: Maze.3825

Maze.3825

I recommend a clean install with latest drivers from AMD http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64 with the latest DDU uninstaller http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html.
Doing all Win7 updates is a given too.

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

Hi Bloodwort MacFangho,

Can you take a screenshot of GPU-Z whilst Guild Wars 2 is running, there seems to be a common occurrence in the forums lately of graphics cards running at low link speeds typical of “power saving” mode. If you share the screenshot we can rule this out first.

It also looks like you are running an old driver for your graphics card (or perhaps its the latest on the microsoft update program). Either way it is advisable to update to the latest version for your graphics card.

Kind regards,

~Nitro

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Hi Bloodwort MacFangho,

Can you take a screenshot of GPU-Z whilst Guild Wars 2 is running, there seems to be a common occurrence in the forums lately of graphics cards running at low link speeds typical of “power saving” mode. If you share the screenshot we can rule this out first.

Does this help (I saved the log then had a play with the results using excel):
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Tbm0zhd.png[/img]
If you need actual prog screenie, let me know and I’ll do that tonight.

It also looks like you are running an old driver for your graphics card (or perhaps its the latest on the microsoft update program). Either way it is advisable to update to the latest version for your graphics card.

I’m running the Crimson drivers version 15.3? I checked updates last night and got the Up to Date message. But will do a clean install.

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Blood

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

I recommend a clean install with latest drivers from AMD http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64 with the latest DDU uninstaller http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html.
Doing all Win7 updates is a given too.

Many thanks for your help. I’ve been installing updates thick and fast! Nightmare with Win 7 SP1 thanks to Bitdefender (maybe a bit unfair but SP1 installed fine after I removed BitDefender. Go figger!).

Thanks for the DDU tip. I’ll get that and do a clean install.

Blood

Nitro.4732

I would think that the GPU Load % hitting 100% at times would be the issue here – especially if the link speed has been reduced to 2x or 4x instead of the normal 16x speed.

I would need to see a screenshot of the GPU-Z app whilst Guild Wars is running in order to tell if the Link speed is being increased when required by games.

Also as far as I can tell the latest version is 15.12 (actually 15.12 is newer than 15.3 which suggests AMD doesn’t understand decimal positions).

There is also “AMD Software Crimson Edition 16.1” Listed under drivers on their website which I am not too sure about, I believe this installs a bunch of other applications along with version 15.12 of the driver.

(edited by Nitro.4732)

Posted by: NilSatis.6720

NilSatis.6720

The latest driver is 16.1. This is the one you should be installing, but apart from your current driver being corrupt for some reason this possibly isnt the issue. Do make sure to take the advice above and use ddu to uninstall the current driver in safe mode. Then install 16.1 (make you you have downloaded it before using ddu in safe mode as you will have no network access).

Do not trust the AMD auto update system; and instead turn it off and manually check every month. 16.1 is not whql certified but this makes no difference and it is the best of the Crimson drivers. When installing, select custom install and untick the option to install “RAPTR” as its….useless.

With that rig, you should have great performance…except in zergs etc which will slow the single thread performance down as it does on everyones rig. If this doesnt do the trick, and all other games are fine, make sure your card is seated properly in the x16 pci slot in your motherboard. Also you can delete local.dat in your user/appdata/roaming/guild wars 2 folder to make sure settings were not corrupted for some reason. To access this you will have to enable viewing of hidden files and folders in folder options in control panel. Good luck!

NilSatis.6720

Also as far as I can tell the latest version is 15.12 (actually 15.12 is newer than 15.3 which suggests AMD doesn’t understand decimal positions).

There is also “AMD Software Crimson Edition 16.1” Listed under drivers on their website which I am not too sure about, I believe this installs a bunch of other applications along with version 15.12 of the driver.

The driver numbers are dates. i.e. 16 being 2016 and 1 denoting January

All of AMD drivers like Nvidias install “a bunch of stuff” and both manufacturers driver installs need to be switched to a custom install and geforce experience and raptr deselected. . They both are useless in terms of pc performance and do more harm than good. The rest of the installation options are fine, install all of those. Geforce experience and RAPTR are good for streaming functions and that is it. The rest is bloatware.

Nitro.4732

The driver numbers are dates. i.e. 16 being 2016 and 1 denoting January

All of AMD drivers like Nvidias install “a bunch of stuff” and both manufacturers driver installs need to be switched to a custom install and geforce experience and raptr deselected. . They both are useless in terms of pc performance and do more harm than good. The rest of the installation options are fine, install all of those. Geforce experience and RAPTR are good for streaming functions and that is it. The rest is bloatware.

That explains it then! However I still think march should be represented as 15.03 for sanity haha.

~Nitro

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Hi Bloodwort MacFangho,

And so:- I check the link speed. I’ll let the screenie speak for itself :-/

[img]http://i.imgur.com/rQ1rHVo.png[/img]

Looks like you may have hit on the problem, Nitro! Now to investigate why

Blood

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

Just pull the card out and reseat it.

Usually works

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Hi Bloodwort MacFangho,

And so:- I check the link speed. I’ll let the screenie speak for itself :-/

[img]http://i.imgur.com/rQ1rHVo.png[/img]

Looks like you may have hit on the problem, Nitro! Now to investigate why

The problem is the @x1 .. it must be @x16.

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Well guys, thanks to Nitro’s advice, I have fixed the issue.
Opened it up and moved the GPU to another slot. Re-booted and went safe mode. I followed Maze’s advice and used DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers. I installed AMD Crimson 16.1.

On re-boot, went into GPU-Z utility and tested. Straight away it went to x16 v3.0. I tested in GW2. FPS in full graphics now gives me 50 fps.

I’m a happy puppy.
Many, many thanks to the both of you and everyone who contributed.

Tony

Blood

Beldin.5498

How could then the game run normal since last week, when your GPU was
always in the wrong slot ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Nitro.4732

Most Likely Bloodwort has two x16 slots and by moving the card he simply “re-seated” it also.

NilSatis.6720

There should be no need to “reseat” cards in this way if it was in the correct slot to begin with. Although I’m glad it worked, it points to another bug in guild wars 2 to be honest. I have never had to do this for any game in the whole life of my pc; and its a bit of a coincidence that people are having to do this a lot at the moment.
There are too many of these threads for it not to be; and rigs built by anything other than a novice would always have the gpu installed in this lane. I would bet most people aren’t building their rigs themselves, which suggests the problem is GW2. I wonder why this specific game exhibits this problem :/
To the op….glad it worked anyway. Happy days.

Beldin.5498

It has nothing to do with GW2 .. if the GPU does or does not use all 16 lanes its
already visible in GPU-z if you are only on your Windows desktop. So in the end
this is more a problem of bad mainboard or case design or whatever.
I remember i once had a case, where the back was not really in 90 degree angle to
the slot, so if you fixed the card with a screw they started to lift out of the slot
at the end.

Nitro.4732

It has nothing to do with GW2 .. if the GPU does or does not use all 16 lanes its
I remember i once had a case, where the back was not really in 90 degree angle to
the slot, so if you fixed the card with a screw they started to lift out of the slot
at the end.

Not necessarily I remember back in the early days of GW2 the game had a bug that would prevent Nvidia graphics cards from detecting it as a full screen application and they would remain on 1-4x to save power. Most graphics cards nowadays will sit in low power mode whilst doing nothing or light duty work. This is why we ask to run the game whilst checking with GPU-Z, although the application has its own checker by running GW2 in the background we also check the game is successfully being recognised by the graphics card.

Also it can be due to numerous other reason like you have stated, due to bad design, poor installation or excess debris build up. Even Just the weight of larger cards or power cables tugging at the card. Either way there are many reasons why this is not just a simple faulty hardware issue.

MrFayth.3546

How do you explain all the cases of Gw2 being the only game whos performance suffers terribly?

I remember many many examples of people with this exact problem also stating that games like Fo4 run fine.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

For what it’s worth, someone’s "fine" may not be the full performance their computer is capable of handling / should be doing.

MrFayth.3546

For what it’s worth, someone’s “fine” may not be the full performance their computer is capable of handling / should be doing.

Usually the case is

Everything runs “ok” then one day Gw2 runs much worse than it previously did while other games are uneffected.

It’s just strange because its a GPU link speed issue and Gw2 is very GPU-lite compared to games like Fo4.

If it wasn’t a GW2 issue, you’d think you would see more so in other games.

Beldin.5498

How do you explain all the cases of Gw2 being the only game whos performance suffers terribly?

I remember many many examples of people with this exact problem also stating that games like Fo4 run fine.

Why should i explain it .. i just listed a fact. If other games run fine with only 2 of 16
lanes .. good .. maybe they even run great when your CPU is clocked down to 1 GHz
and only 256k of RAM.

Still the fact remains if GPU-z shows not @x16 that is a hardware problem.

If you have 8 GB of ram, but your PC only show 4 GB then a lot of games will
also run great .. but if other need more, then it is not a problem of the game
but of your PC.

MrFayth.3546

Why should i explain it ..

Just pure curiosity on my part.

I find the behavior incongruent and just wondered if someone, more knowledgeable than I, could shed some light as to why Gw2 behaves so badly when other games are less effected.

NilSatis.6720

Why should i explain it .. i just listed a fact. If other games run fine with only 2 of 16
lanes .. good .. maybe they even run great when your CPU is clocked down to 1 GHz
and only 256k of RAM.

Still the fact remains if GPU-z shows not @x16 that is a hardware problem.

If you have 8 GB of ram, but your PC only show 4 GB then a lot of games will
also run great .. but if other need more, then it is not a problem of the game
but of your PC.

Another few facts: Other games would not work well. They would all display the same powersaving problems —low framerates and gpu usage. No game would run well with this type of hardware issue.
You would be getting sub 10fps on a lot of games. This is an issue with GW2 to go alongside the others that the game has ---simply try and use the game on an nvidia mobile gpu on windows 10 and see what happens for another issue with this game directly. There is no explanation for these things outside of GW2s coding imo.

GPU-z will report on what is happening with the hardware at the time. i.e. clock rates etc the same way as cpu-z will report multipliers on cpu speed. This doesn’t necessarily indicate a hardware problem. If the op was to do the same thing on other games and it does not display this issue, what does that tell you? Its a pretty simple test. If they did, then indeed it was a hardware issue all along, but i suspect it isnt. On a new rig, one of the simplest parts is to slot a gpu into a pci express slot which is then locked in and screwed in additionally for support. I doubt all of these peoples machines werent built correctly.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Why should i explain it ..

Just pure curiosity on my part.

I find the behavior incongruent and just wondered if someone, more knowledgeable than I, could shed some light as to why Gw2 behaves so badly when other games are less effected.

It’s probably because GW2 has to process a lot of network data, whereas most other games don’t (depending on the game, of course).