64 bit client question

64 bit client question

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Heather.4823

Heather.4823

Q:

The latest update says:
The 64-bit client is no longer in beta. The 32-bit client will now automatically switch to the 64-bit client if the conditions appear favorable.

Does this mean it will automatically download the 64bit client or do you still have to download it? All it says it will “switch to it”

Siren – Aurora Glade

64 bit client question

Posted by: Johan Skold

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

A:

So I don’t have to download that 64bit client?

Correct, it does it automatically as long as you have a 64-bit OS and 4 GB or more of RAM.

If not, anyway to tell if it using 32bit or 64bit?

Currently the best way would be to use the task manager. If you’re using Windows 8 or 10, the “Processes” tab in the detailed view will say “Guild Wars 2 (32 bit)” for the 32-bit client and just “Guild Wars 2” for the 64-bit client. For older versions of Windows, it will have an asterisk next to Gw2.exe if you’re running the 32-bit version.

64 bit client question

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

It will automatically switch, yes.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

64 bit client question

Heather.4823

Thanks!

Siren – Aurora Glade

(edited by Heather.4823)

64 bit client question

Posted by: Nesnalica.4673

Nesnalica.4673

Im running on 64bit and it (as intended) picks the 64bit client however I would like to know how I still access the 32bit version. is there a way to use the command prompt or so?

64 bit client question

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

I never used the 64 bit client cause it crashed on startup. Now I literaly cannot play the game?

How do I launch the 32 bit client only now?

64 bit client question

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

“The 64-bit client is no longer in beta. The 32-bit client will now automatically switch to the 64-bit client if the conditions appear favorable.”

While this might be a nice idea on PAPER. My computer is NOT “more favorable”. And still I am forced to use 64bit client, even though I have to forcibly hold memory usage small to even get the client started.

If I start without running SetProcessWorkingSize in a loop to restrict memory consumption, my computer crashes.

I want my 32bit client back, right now.

64 bit client question

Heather.4823

Correct, it does it automatically as long as you have a 64-bit OS and 4 GB or more of RAM.

Currently the best way would be to use the task manager. If you’re using Windows 8 or 10, the “Processes” tab in the detailed view will say “Guild Wars 2 (32 bit)” for the 32-bit client and just “Guild Wars 2” for the 64-bit client. For older versions of Windows, it will have an asterisk next to Gw2.exe if you’re running the 32-bit version.

Awesome thanks!

Siren – Aurora Glade

64 bit client question

Posted by: Lycan Nibbler.1567

Lycan Nibbler.1567

I also need the 32 bit client option, I cannot run the 64 bit and do the other thngs I need to do on my computer. I want the option not to have this forced upon me like it is being.

64 bit client question

Lycan Nibbler.1567

I want an answer to the same question.

64 bit client question

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

I never used the 64 bit client cause it crashed on startup. Now I literaly cannot play the game?

There’s an FAQ coming up in a while, but you can force it to stay on the 32-bit client by adding -32 to the command line.

That said, I’d like to know why it crashes on startup for you. The vast majority of the crashes in 64-bit on launch right now appear to be caused by other software. As a concrete example, Lavasoft’s Ad-Aware has been known to cause GW2 client crashes for a long time.

64 bit client question

Vennyhedgie.5369

Same. 64 bit client freezes on character select

64 bit client question

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

Yes, you can add -32 to the command line as you’re launching the 32-bit client to force it to remain on the 32-bit client.

64 bit client question

Lycan Nibbler.1567

There’s an FAQ coming up in a while, but you can force it to stay on the 32-bit client by adding -32 to the command line.

Thank you, that worked for me.

64 bit client question

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Is the Mac Client de-facto 64 bit too, or just Windows client?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

64 bit client question

Vennyhedgie.5369

That said, I’d like to know why it crashes on startup for you. The vast majority of the crashes in 64-bit on launch right now appear to be caused by other software. As a concrete example, Lavasoft’s Ad-Aware has been known to cause GW2 client crashes for a long time.

Thanks. Apparently it doesn’t quite crash, it just whitescreens for a really long time when loading character select now for some reason. Why though, I’m not sure as I dont have said Ad-Aware.

64 bit client question

Yasi.9065

Nevermind, fixed it myself.

64 bit client question

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

You can force it to stay on the 32-bit client by launching with -32 on the command line.

That said, if you need to restrict application memory to such an extent to even keep Windows from crashing, have you considered looked over your virtual memory allocation?

64 bit client question

Yasi.9065

Since 32bit client doesnt run into those problems at all, Im not gonna change my system settings.

Thanks for the command line, this will make patches less stressful for me

64 bit client question

Lycan Nibbler.1567

Thanks. Apparently it doesn’t quite crash, it just whitescreens for a really long time when loading character select now for some reason. Why though, I’m not sure as I dont have said Ad-Aware.

Same here – I do have Ad-Aware but havent had the issue in the past. 32 booted up just fine for me after the change though.

64 bit client question

Posted by: Arannya.8324

Arannya.8324

I can`t login using the 64bit client… All I get is a “Connection error(s) detected…retrying” message… my firewall and my antivirus are disabled. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

64 bit client question

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oh, thanks so much, Johan! My Game Booster FPS display won’t work with the 64-bit client, but does with the 32-bit client, so this is a big help. =)

64 bit client question

Posted by: Terensz.5324

Terensz.5324

Since the phenomenal patch of today, my game speed decreased from 30 fps to 8, the game became unplayable.

I know the reason, the game automatically decided that i want to use the 64 bit edition.

How can I switch back to 32 bit?

64 bit client question

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Yes, you can add -32 to the command line as you’re launching the 32-bit client to force it to remain on the 32-bit client.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

64 bit client question

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

Is the Mac Client de-facto 64 bit too, or just Windows client?

The Mac client is still 32-bit only at this time.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

64 bit client question

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

Oh, thanks so much, Johan! My Game Booster FPS display won’t work with the 64-bit client, but does with the 32-bit client, so this is a big help. =)

I guess it monitors the executable with the name GW2.exe to show the FPS display? Because the game will now run GW2-64.exe if possible. Why do you run a FPS display? I am pretty sure you will have better performance with the 64 bit client, so I think you are hurting your FPS by using the 32 bit client to show the FPS display.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

64 bit client question

Posted by: Terensz.5324

Terensz.5324

Thanks for the quick solution. It works :-) 30 fps again!

64 bit client question

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Thank goodness there was a work around for this. Some of us were not running the 64-bit client for a reason.

It has always auto crashed upon start up and it still does! The issue still hasn’t been fixed.

64 bit client question

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

Is there any way to use the 32-bit client without it auto-updating to 64-bit? (I can’t use a shortcut; I just want to use the .exe itself)

64 bit client question

Yasi.9065

At client start the 64bit client bloats up to 3-4gb… which is kinda bad since I only have 4gb ram. Windows doesnt like that, especially because gw2 starts encroaching on non-existent memory… so it crashes. For me at least.

I can work around that by running a loop that checks if gw2 client uses up more than X gb memory and then force everything into virtual memory. If I do that long enough – often enough – at one point the ram usage settles to what the 32bit client uses, even without forcing it.

BUT… loading screens take forever, they even “fade out” with the typical windows7 “program crashed how do you want to proceed” message. It still finishes loading, but takes up to 5 min. My fps is around 15 and drops below 5 fps at every big event.
The fan of my computer starts sounding like a jet engine.

On 32bit client on the other hand:
- short loading screens (10-30 seconds)
- 70-90 fps, 30 fps on big events
- quiet computer fans

I tried reducing graphic settings to absolute minimum, but predictably that didnt change a thing for 64bit client. I tried running it with vm, same result. I tried running it with everything but necessary services disabled, same result.

64bit client and my computer setup do not mix well together. I cant really tell why, Im just not interested enough to reverse it to the degree I could point out why the client bloats up like crazy. Probably some functions are used that dont work well with older sytems.

Fact is, 32bit client runs smoothly with high settings. 64bit client runs like I try to force 32bit client onto a winxp laptop with 1gb ram.

Maybe setting the automatic switch to use 64bit client to 6gb ram instead.

64 bit client question

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

Maybe setting the automatic switch to use 64bit client to 6gb ram instead.

Or just get rid of the automatic switch entirely and implement an option into the launcher (or an option in the in game settings to swap to __-bit on a restart.

64 bit client question

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hey all,

A new FAQ on the 64-bit client is up now. Find it here.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

64 bit client question

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I guess it monitors the executable with the name GW2.exe to show the FPS display? Because the game will now run GW2-64.exe if possible. Why do you run a FPS display? I am pretty sure you will have better performance with the 64 bit client, so I think you are hurting your FPS by using the 32 bit client to show the FPS display.

I added the 64-bit .exe to it’s list when the 64-bit client first appeared. I’ve used both extensively, and there is no difference in performance. I don’t crash with the 32-bit, I don’t crash with the 64-bit (I have plenty of RAM). I don’t get better FPS with either.
Thus, I like to know when my game starts stuttering if it’s a loss of FPS or something running in the background (such as a scan). =)

64 bit client question

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

I’m running into an issue as well.
An issue – i might add – that has always been there since the 64-bit client was made.

For me, when I want to play the game I MUST patch using the 32-bit client. Why? I’m not sure. But, my 64-bit client will stall up, not patch fully, crash constantly, or just outright make my screens (multi-monitor) go black – which can’t be restored without reboot. IF I patch using the 32-bit client first then it will patch normally – I can then patch the 64-bit client normally afterwards (which there will be a patch to download oddly enough).

With this latest update I was constantly getting black screen after black screen – so I kept rebooting. I then got on here to find that my 32-bit client was automatically shifting to the 64-bit client when it was trying to patch. Funnily enough…adding the -32 switch in the target line of the .exe made everything work again on the first try.

I’d like to know a procedure to identify what causes this so I can correct it.

I have theories as to why it happens: a corrupt/not perfect transfer/install from Win7 to Win10 being top of the list in my case, but I’ve fixed the majority of those problems myself.

I’m a fairly well educated individual when it comes to technology (Comp. Sci. + Cyber Ops + Software Engineering student near the end of their Bachelor’s) so feel free to be as specific and technical as needed.

64 bit client question

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

thank god theres a work around, game all of a sudden felt hella slow and clunky plus it was making me right click and run as admin to even start the game. im not sure how this was the issue but forcing it to 32 fixed it so it must have been

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

64 bit client question

Posted by: ForwardReversal.8765

ForwardReversal.8765

can someone please clarify to me how to switch back to the 32bit version on command line promt, if possible.

64 bit client question

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can find the instructions here:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#Using_command_line_arguments

It’s really easy from the Properties window on your GW2 shortcut. Just add (space)-32

Good luck.