About 32 bit and 64 bit clients

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Banchou.5628

Banchou.5628

Q:

Currently I’m using the 32 bit client because I usually update the game at my work since I have limited internet at home – the problem is that at my work we only have 32 bit computers and I know already that the 64 bit don’t work here and that I can’t revert back to 32 bit without reinstalling the entire game… (had to do that when I tested the 64 bit months ago)

Have a way for me to have both clients, like a 32 bit on a external HD and the 64 bit at home, and transfer/copy&paste the data between then?

If not, have a way to avoid the upgrade? Or any chance on the future for us change the client between the versions without a entire reinstall?

Posted by: Johan Skold

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

A:

The Gw2.dat file residing next to the game’s executable(s) is shared among the two clients, so in theory you could just copy that one back and forth. If you want to avoid the copying, you can modify the shortcut to tell it to load it from your external hard drive too. There are instructions on the wiki. Specifically, you’d be interested in the -dat [string] switch.

Another thing you could do is to always launch the 32-bit client. If you’re on a 64-bit system, starting today it will just launch the 64-bit executable instead. So on your home machine, it would launch the 64-bit client while at work it would remain on the 32-bit client.

Posted by: Johan Skold

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

For the 32 bit you will need to put -32 in your command line.

To be clear, that is only necessary if you’re running it on a 64-bit system with 4 GB or more of RAM, and still want to use the 32-bit client.

Posted by: Banchou.5628

Banchou.5628

Good to know and thanks for the answer