Account Restoration (hacked)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Quam.7218

Quam.7218

Ok, so um I have a question.

My friend’s account got hacked 2-3 days ago, he’s main char was deleted, gold stolen etc.

We wrote to the support about it and we got the answer that ANet can reroll his account back to the state of 10th April. And he will loose everything he did in this game from that day.

I mean, are You serious ? 5 months behind ? Off course we decided to reroll, but still… he quit the game. We worked both so hard to get him a steam weapon pistol skin, we worked both for so many achievements and other things…

So um… idk what to say about it. He quit, and so will I, becouse thisngs like this can happen to anyone – it’s not like we WANT this to happen, but loosing 5 MONTHS of time is a joke for us.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You friend needs to update his support ticket and explain that April 10th is nowhere close to the hack date, and ask them to search for a restoration date closer to the date the account was compromised. Sometimes mistaken ART dates are used. Good luck.

Quam.7218

I just got a good sugestion about the “date format” from one of the Reddit users.

We are frome europe so we wrote it on 04.10.2013 (4th October), but the support guy in US must took it for 10th April.

Yet still, it’s wierd that he didn’t find nothing wierd in a 5 months old-new ticket :|

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That sounds like what happened, then. Updating your ticket should solve the problem. Make sure you write out the month this time. Lol. Good luck. = )

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I suggest you use the name of the month, so 4 October 2013, not 4/10 or 10/4 or anything of that sort. Numerics are confusing for those of us on both sides of “The Pond,” so it’s always best to use the name of the month.

However, we can often detect when an account was compromised. While it may appear that it’s not reasonable to go back months to capture the correct restoration point, in some cases that is exactly what we need to do. For example, someone steps away from the game for a few months. They are hacked immediately afterwards and their account is used to bot, deliver gold, whatever. When the legitimate account owner contacts us — sometimes because they find their account is terminated due to the RMT’s activities — they say “I last played in April” and we see the last legitimate access was in April and that everything afterwards was cheated.

So it’s not completely outside the realm of possibility that a player may be “rolled back” that is, the account restored, to some months ago, in cases the the player was inactive on the account. Just wanted to include this as a bit of info that may be useful to others.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Quam.7218

We didn’t use dates in the ticket’s “additional information”, no numbers – just “what he noticed happened on his account after he logged in” – I just posted the wole thing on Reddit and someone came up with this suggestion – he was right.

I understand, but IF he didn’t play from ex. April (took a break or sth), it would do no difference to anybody, but he didn’t, he played actively) he took a break in september so even backing up one month wouldn’t change anything, but not 5.

Plus I got him in “friendlist” so as soon as we are online we both go TeamSpeak and play together, so i would notice something is wrong. We know each other in real life, so I always phone him if he’s online but not responsing to my whisp.

But if really anything can’t be done, well that’s just the end for us in GW2, I won’t force him to play any longer and replay all the thing we did, all the time we lost, he wrote a ticket about the whole situation, and now we wait how it will turn up.

Quam.7218

I just wanted to update, there were no problems with restoring the account “forward” it was restored to 13th September (that was the last day before my friend took a break from GW2)

He waited only 1 day for every response from the support – for me it’s really fast. So today we can play as usuall.

Thank You.

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

While it can take a while for the Anet team to work this kind of stuff out, rest assured they are amazing and WILL get it done

I came to GW2 after a yearish break from GW1 to find I couldn’t link my account due to my GW1 being hacked. Took them a week or 2 but they got it sorted for me :-)
Never been so happy with a customer services team!

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.