"Analyst" triggering name filter

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: marcustyphoon.7194

marcustyphoon.7194

Not sure if this is the right post category, but it seemed like the best fit.

I understand the technical reason why the word “analyst” gets flagged as not following the naming policy, but as a title actually used ingame by Asura NPCs, it seems kind of unfair that I and other player characters can’t use it. Obviously, it doesn’t break the rules.

Is there any way this can be allowed, or is modifying the filter system too difficult?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You would have to contact the CS Team and discuss the name with them via the ‘Support’ link above/below.

Good luck.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

for filtered names, they have said changes to the filter aren’t normally allowed and asked that you choose another name instead.

Sadly, I noticed that last night when I was submitting a ticket… >.< I still submitted it though, maybe they will give me a pass, because I really like that for a surname.

I doubt it. One guy wanted to use the word Illusionist as part of his name. He was in a Mesmer guild and they all had the the themed name, Illusionist [Display Name]. Even though everyone else in the guild had Illusionist as part of their character name, that word was blocked for some reason and he was unable to use it. He made a thread and Gayle responded to it saying

Gaile Gray
ArenaNet Support Liaison
To tell you the truth, this isn’t something that should result in a ticket. The Word and Name Filter is set for all four supported languages, and we cover offensive words or letter combinations in many other languages, as they are reported to us. Submitting a ticket to ask why a name isn’t allowed will require time from several agents, and I would like to respectfully ask that you simply try another name and not take agents away from important issues like account access problems, crashing issues, chat violations, or a hacking/compromise incident to discuss why certain letters are not allowed, especially since those discussions can go back and forth for days .
Again, if you simply kindly would choose another name, that would be best. Thank you in advance for understanding.
Gaile Gray
Support Liaison
ArenaNet

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: AnClar.1304

AnClar.1304

I’m sorry…filtering “analyst”, a perfectly good and inoffensive word in the English language just because it contains within it another term such that if the original word is pronounced incorrectly it then refers, anatomically correctly, to a location in the human body is just dumb. Using this example, I would fully expect that the completely inoffensive word “therapist” would also be filtered simply because it too contains another term which is a description of a criminal, and can be incorrectly pronounced in a way that completely changes the meaning.

In general Anet, your noble and reasonable efforts to keep offensive screen names out of the game are commendable, however there are cases where you go completely and unreasonably overboard, and in those cases, there should be a way to request a review.

(edited by AnClar.1304)

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Using this example, I would fully expect that the word “therapist” would also be filtered simply because it too can be incorrectly pronounced in a way that completely changes the meaning.

It is I just try it.

Attachments:

;)