Anti Virus Software Uninstalled GW2.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Gideon.6238

Gideon.6238

When I tried to launch the client today AVG (my anti virus software) stepped in and told me it had identified a threat and uninstalled the entire game. Why did it do this and will I have to reinstall the game.

Posted by: Gideon.6238

Gideon.6238

Forgot to mention it told me it was a Trojan. I have the reports.

Attachments:

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

You should contact AVG and ask why gw2 is being detected as a trojan.And otherwsis just use another virus scanner

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

AVG doesn’t screw with my install of it.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Sometimes scanners just give false alarms, Kapersky is famous for that. Either tell AVG to whitelist your GW2 directory or try another scanner. Avast for example

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Avelos.6798

I heard avast went to crap in the past few years. Just add Guild Wars 2 to the exceptions list in AVG.
And as far as free antiviruses go, Avira is the best.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Nope….Sophos is best (but not available for personal use).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Avelos.6798

Then Sophos is not free.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Avast! is currently best for free AV software. AVG sucks and has for a long time.

Avelos.6798

Not according to other reviews done. It ranks up around the same as Avast.

abomally.2694

It sucks because of the problems it causes with legit software (false positives).

Avelos.6798

It happens. White listing it fixes it easily instead of uninstalling an otherwise still useful program.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Then Sophos is not free.

Of course it isn’t. You get what you pay for.

Microsoft’s free AV is plenty good for anyone that has a decently secured router (and it is much less obtrusive to Windows than any 3rd party product).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Devik.9852

Devik.9852

It shocks me how misinformed the public is about security.. I’m in IT Sec.

1. Free software is garbage.. it’s free! What do you expect? ESET is the best and it’s not Kremlin / FSB coded like Kaspersky. (literally)

2. It’s possible that your computer is infected or like the others have said, a false flag.

Solution:

1. Go into AVG settings to disable auto-uninstall of unwanted applications. It should allow You to decide what gets uninstalled.. or put it in sandbox.

2. Download ESET Online Scanner. It’s free and very good. It’s able to detect malware that even ESET full suite isn’t able to do to it’s online scanner capabilities.. run a full scan.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner-popup/

Tips:

• If you can afford it, go with ESET.
  • Always allow programs to go into sandbox mode before being uninstalled, most AV’s have this option.
  • Understand that even if the AV says your computer is clean, it can still be highly infected which is why online scanners and rootkit check tools are good.
  • Don’t install random things from online. Every free game from TPB for example is infected.. and it’s one reason why AV’s always show ‘trojan’ and why every game always says it’s a false flag… those sort of things can infect other programs / games.
  • Team Speak is easily exploitable so a neighborhood kid can use that to hack your system very easily.

TMI lol.. hope it helps

abomally.2694

Free software is garbage? No it isn’t. There are some very good utilities out there that are completely free, some of which are open source.

I prefer Avast! (free). I also use Paragon Backup & Recovery (free, register to get key) and Macrium Reflect to image my hard drives. They both work perfectly and are free.

I could go on and on regarding free software and utilities, but, you get the point. Also (as you know), there is NO anti-virus program out there that can catch every piece of malware. One reason that I use Avast! is that it uses the lowest amount of system resources of any AV I’ve tried. Even on older machines, performance is not affected much, if at all.

It’s cool that you’re in IT. I’m an electronics engineering technician and have been repairing PCs since before Windows even existed (I used to use Norton DOS, btw).

I do agree with the rest of your post, however. I’m kinda’ surprised that people still use Teamspeak. In WoW, we used to use Ventrillo.

Good day.