Anyone have the amd r7 260x vid card?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

Does anyone have an AMD R7 260x card? It appears nearly every driver released for it is crap. I’ve been all over the interwebz trying every driver version from the latest beta back to some several years ago and none seem to work. What’s happening is that I get into the game and about 2-3 mins in the driver hangs up and crashes. I get that notorious “driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered” windows message. Changing game setting has zero effect. The card came stock overclocked so I reduced it as far as I can. No effect. Tried contacting AMD and ASUS, no reply from either of them. Out of options at this point, hoping someone has this card and managed to find stable drivers. Idc if they make the game perform poor as long as I can run it stable.

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

Reset the same settings using the command line, or deleting local.dat from your app data folder. try using driver sweeper in safemode, then re install latest catalyst. If it doesnt solve it you might have a bad card and should rma

[ICoa] Blackgate

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

I get those annoying driver has stopped responding and has recovered thing as well. You may be surprised to find that it’s not always caused by a terrible driver…

Give this Microsoft FixIt a try and if it doesn’t work, you /may/ have incompatible RAM on your board. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946.

The issue normally has to do with Timeout Detection and Recovery.
It is not however an issue with the graphics card hardware.

Druss.6917

doubt its my RAM since this only started happening when I swapped this new card in. My old one never did it. I’ll give that fix a try but from what I’ve seen with my research, this is a very common problem with this card.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

It’s not the driver crashing the card, it’s the card crashing the driver.

“The issue normally has to do with Timeout Detection and Recovery.
It is not however an issue with the graphics card hardware.”

Actually, TDR just tries to reset the hardware when it hangs, which is better than rebooting. A GPU should never hang or stop responding for 2 seconds (or more). If TDR triggers, it’s usually because the hardware has failed.

Druss.6917 -

Try this:

Remove and re-seat the card (firmly) three times. Yes, there is a method to this madness. The purpose of doing this is to scrape the connections clean as they make contact – which will make the electrical connections as solid as possible. It’s worth trying before replacing the card.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Make sure you are removing the drivers from safemode using DDU inbetween driver reinstalls

and for the record, 14.4 is running fine on a couple of 260X’s I have here.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Avelos.6798

I have the non beta version of 14.4 as well and it’s running very good for my R9 290Xs. Still have that issue where the drivers screw up sometimes when I load a video while gaming… it’s infuriating. Did this to my 7970s and when I was using FX-8350.

ikereid.4637

I have the non beta version of 14.4 as well and it’s running very good for my R9 290Xs. Still have that issue where the drivers screw up sometimes when I load a video while gaming… it’s infuriating. Did this to my 7970s and when I was using FX-8350.

that was happening to me due to the overlay’s of various programs (xfire(Chat), Raptr, TS3, MSI Afterburner’s Screenshot and Video recording overlay…ect). Once I disabled all the overlays the drivers stopped crashing.

Something to look into?

Avelos.6798

The overlays shouldn’t be crashing it. the only overlay I have is Steam Overlay for GW2 because I use steamchat a lot. However it did not do this at all previously. But then it just started happening out of the blue with my AMD FX-8350 w/ 7970s, then i7 4770K and 7970s and then still with the R9 290Xs though the amount of which it happens has dropped significantly. Guess that’s one more reason for me to not go with an AMD CPU anymore. LOL

Posted by: chimprozee.2670

chimprozee.2670

i have this card, the MSI version and all i did was i installed the drivers from the disc that i got with it and no issues so far. but, the first time i got the card it didnt get detected, had to do a fresh Windows install to fix it.

Avelos.6798

Just installing the new drivers will do it. You have to uninstall the previous one AND THEN install the new drivers for it to work. Well, that’s what I had to do with my Asus R9 290Xs.

ikereid.4637

First, overlay crashing is driver related. Not hardware.

Second, you should always be removing old drivers from safemode using DDU before installing any new/replacement Display driver.

The display drivers are soo sensitive, compared to other drivers, that if even 1 DLL is off that can crash the entire driver suite.

Posted by: Magesw.4257

Magesw.4257

I have the r7 260x OC Edition from Saphire. I do not have any problems with the video driver stopping at all in GW2 or any game for that matter.

I am currently using the newest drivers 14.4 I believe from AMD.

I would do what some of these guys suggest and remove drivers in safemode. clean it to make sure and reinstall them.

Silent Warriors Gaming
http://gw2.swgaming.com

Druss.6917

Just an update, I’m sending it back for a replacement. I was on the phone with their tech guys and they have decided the card is faulty and will replace it for me. I’m thinking of going for an r9 this time though, which they agreed to do for me if I just pay the difference. They said they’ve gotten a lot of returns on this card over the past year, so if you guys have one and it’s working good, count yourselves lucky

Avelos.6798

I don’t consider my R9 290Xs to be faulty at all since it’s been happening to me with numerous hardware configurations.

Posted by: Lilywhite.6397

Lilywhite.6397

Frequent driver crashes on a stable release would indicate a faulty card or overclock. If you want to isolate the speed, downclock the card to stock levels. This was an known issue with the XFX cards (I experienced it personally). I’m not sure where MSI feel in that spectrum.

Although, it’s kind of junk to pay for the factory OC and then have to remove it to reach stability with the card. RMA is the right course of action.