Appeal account termination for good behavior

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: StevenL.3761

StevenL.3761

My original Guild Wars account was terminated back in 2010 for cheating. I have since moved on to play Guild Wars 2, but this time playing it fair and square. Now I miss playing the original game, and I was wondering if I have a case for recovering it based on good behavior. Do I?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am pretty sure there is a Dev post stating that no Guild Wars accounts that were banned for cheating/exploiting/etc. will be re-instated under any circumstances.

Sorry.

StevenL.3761

That statement sounds like a scare tactic from upper management, intended to lower support costs by reducing the number of incoming support tickets. I know that account reviews take a lot of time.

I would like to add that I only cheated for in-game progression. This was my personal account that I put a lot of time and effort into developing before I found out about ways to cheat.
I feel that this is a lot different from your average gold farmer that cheats on a throwaway account to make as much real money as possible before they get banned.

(edited by StevenL.3761)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Cheating is cheating. Send in a ticket if you think they are just doing it as a scare tactic, but do not be surprised when they say no. The answer they have always given is that if your account was banned, you are welcome to buy a new account and start again, and they won’t ban the new one unless you continue to do the same things that got you banned in the first place.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Its hopeless. A friend had a GWAMM account banned for botting chests in GW1. The only thing they did for him was removing the account link (so he can get a new gw1 account for the HoM rewards) after weeks of tickets.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

StevenL.3761

I can easily start a new account, but this is more about getting my childhood back. I nearly forgot to mention that I was only a teenager. Can they possibly expect a kid not to cheat given the opportunity? That’s a lot of responsibility to impose on a child.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I can easily start a new account, but this is more about getting my childhood back. I nearly forgot to mention that I was only a teenager. Can they possibly expect a kid not to cheat given the opportunity? That’s a lot of responsibility to impose on a child.

Then everyone and their mother who cheated and was banned will claim they are/were a teenager. As a teenager, you should surely be expected to know that cheating is wrong. I seem to recall there being rules and stuff put into place at school to punish cheating when I was in school.

So yes, they can expect teenagers (the age the game is rated for) to not cheat or to expect consequences should they choose to cheat anyway.

StevenL.3761

Nobody is trying to punish anyone. At least I don’t think that anyone on the team holds a grudge against me.

I understand why the rules are there, and that you get terminated for violating them to keep the game fun for everyone else.

I’m not trying to claim anything that isn’t the truth.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Teenagers are not children. You were stupid, you knew it was wrong, and you lost. Same thing if you cheated on a test, got caught, and got a 0. Just because you’ve been good the rest of the year doesn’t mean they should go back and change that 0.

Consider it a great life lesson.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

StevenL.3761

It’s not the same though. They took something, and I want it back.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It’s not the same though. They took something, and I want it back.

It is the same. You broke the rules. Breaking rules have consequences.

You cheated in GW1. The punishment for cheating in GW1 is a permanent ban. Be glad that they’re even willing to let permanently banned accounts buy a new account.

StevenL.3761

If you’re gonna dismiss the circumstances under which I did what I did then we cannot have a meaningful conversation.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You don’t need to have a conversation with anyone on the forums. Create a ticket, or place your ticket number in the Sticky for review. Though, the answer will likely be no different.

Good luck.

StevenL.3761

Then I likely won’t bother. But if anyone with a similar story has had any luck then I’ll give it a try.

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

If you’re gonna dismiss the circumstances under which I did what I did then we cannot have a meaningful conversation.

The only circumstances you’ve provided thus far are

• You “cheated” (Which is a broad term. How did you cheat? Botting UW? Throwing GVG matches?)
  • You were young

I was 16 when I started Gw1 and i knew cheating would get you permanently banned.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Actually, the conversation her is meaningless as nobody here can change anyone’s mind about your old GW1 account status. Only the Support staff can review the ticket or possibly escalate it at your request.

Despite all this, they are quite unlikely to unban your account, but you have to take that up with Support as nobody here can assist you.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances