At my wits end. Constant crashing

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Cephas.8615

Cephas.8615

Q:

Okay ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro GW2 has been a pain.

I either get a MS window pop up saying the game has crashed or stopped responding and that its looking for solutions and sending reports. It then suggests trying to run it in various compatibility modes. Then when it does the same thing it will tell me that the software/application is not supported. Huh? If I don’t get a window from MS after X amount of time then I will get one from GW2 itself saying its encountered a serious error and cannot continue and to send a report to ANet.

Now when I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, I also installed new RAM. My computer is running 2 X 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro and 2 X 4GB Corsair Vengence Pro both at 1600MHz.

I have no problem anywhere else on my computer. It works flawlessly, and up until the other day I thought I had fixed the issue because I had ran the client without any issues at all. Then boom storm all over again.

I have read through the various other threads. I have tested my RAM, I have tested my HDD, I have updated everything one could possibly update, I just do not know what else to do.

Tonight though I did find something very interesting. I double clicked and was running Gw2.exe however when the crash happenend it reported Gw2-64.exe stopped running.

Anyway’s here is the crash log sent to the devs, hopefully someone can think of something I haven’t done or see something I’ve over looked. Thanks all!

Attachments:

Cephas.8615

A:

- Run time for game play: 10:15pm to 2:20am EST.
- Graphic Setting: Used auto-detect which put almost everything to max setting.
- Played all 9 characters which contains at least one of every race, and only one of each profession.
- Had Chrome with 3 tabs open(One of which was youtube), mail client, and iTunes open on my second screen.

The result – Not a single issue!

I did something further digging and it appears as if Corsair does have issue with RAM compatibility even if it is their own. In fact there are reports all over the web of people having issues with Corsair RAM, in particular the Vengeance Pro Series.

Thank you all for your help on this, it has been greatly appreciated finding the underlying issue to what was causing this.

Problem: Game keeps crashing and you can’t figure out why with most issues being reported as memory, and you have done everything you have thought possible.

Solution: Remove RAM of different sizes.

Shout out to Ellieanna, lilypop and stephanie wise for the help and support for this

Cheers Pete

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Can you run memtest and check your ram for me?

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You are aware that GW2.exe became the 64-bit client by default a couple of patches ago, yes?

If you prefer, you can run the 32-bit client by using the -32 command line argument. (Instructions found in the Sticky above.)

Good luck.

Cephas.8615

Can you run memtest and check your ram for me?

Hi Ellieanna,

My apologies for the delay in responding here is what the windows 10 memory diagnostic reported.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-MemoryDiagnostics-Results
[ Guid] {5F92BC59-248F-4111-86A9-E393E12C6139}

EventID 1201

Version 0

Level 4

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0×8000000000000000

– TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-06-03T02:42:59.614851200Z

EventRecordID 17658

Correlation

– Execution

[ ProcessID] 5792
[ ThreadID] 5788

Channel System

Computer Level10

– Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- UserData

- Results

CompletionType Pass

Posted by: Heriticus Spiritus.2489

Heriticus Spiritus.2489

Here are some things that may (or may not) help you.

If: GW2 is installed in either Program Files or Program Files (x86).

Then you need to copy/ paste the main GW2 folder into the main C: drive window.. Put it below the list of current folders there. Windows has a known issue with GW2 when the game is running from Program Files folders. When your copy/paste is complete, then delete (or temporarily re-name) the other GW2 folder. Delete the current desktop shortcut and reboot your PC so file associations can be changed. Make a new shortcut and give it a spin.

This fixed issues for me and my brother. Good luck:)

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Try a clean boot – you have quite a lot of processes running in the background (117) and sometimes software can conflict with GW2:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/41804-clean-boot-perform-windows-10-troubleshoot-software-conflicts.html

Edited for better link.

Cephas.8615

Okay I have been messing around and changing things with days of success and then days of failure… For the most part it seemed lowering the graphics helped for a few days, and then all of the sudden issue after issue again…

Attached is the latest crash file.

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

remove the 2×4 gb one. and put 2×8 gb. why put smaller memory bar?

if you use the 64 bit client do you have a 64 bit pc?

64bit client work better then the 32 bit. you need enough memory. if you use graphic card that as no memory of is own it takes 45% of your computer memory. just saying since I do not know what graphic card you use.(NVidia ti 550 now I know)

what is your pc?

why I ask because I know that Samsung are late on their driver for windows 10 even windows 8 it seams. they recommend to not update your pc to windows 10 if it is Samsung because they are late. so you might have some issue if you have a Samsung device.

you might want to go in confidential setting and turn off some of the data that use your internet to send info to ms and partner. like add sense to give you adds on the web for what you are making search about. do you really need that?

as for lowering the graphic will not help much it is a band aid. on less you have a very old pc. since the problem with this game is cpu bound issue. to much graphic job at the same time send the cpu in high usage since the dx 9 is a high level api and it needs to validate and solve the hazard using the api and the driver, and that is also using the cpu. so even if you reduce a little the graphic quality(graphic card job). as soon that there is to many animation and draw call near you the fps drops.

having a good cpu that can go high in ghz can help a lot for this game I would not go in overclocking more then 4.2 ghz(4.3 ghz+ cpu start to fry) since it is bad for your cpu life length intel cpu have something call turbo mode that already overclock to 3.9ghz or 4.2 ghz if needed. does having more ghz solve the problem(cpu bound issue) no. having more then one core also help since other process on your computer can be done on other core even if this game use only one core.(your cpu have 4 core and 4 hyper thread)

also if you have any high performance program running in the back turn them off. performance test software for your pc etc…

doing ctrl+alt + del you can go check what is running how much cpu, memory, network etc.. if you see a program that use lots of ressource that run it can cause issue. just close it when you play if it is not needed.

you should also check your internet connection this game use the web.

in gw 2 click the gear top left + option bottom of the page check your fps and ping. fps is the graphic rendering speed on screen. ping is the connection speed of transfer packect between you and anet server(lower is better).

I use windows 10 pro 64 bit and I have no issue.

last error report that you send:

—> Error Logs <—
Content is referencing a propID that doesn’t exist propId=‘1907337256732033536’
Content is referencing a propID that doesn’t exist propId=‘1907337037688701442’
Content is referencing a propID that doesn’t exist propId=‘1907337699113665028’
Model ‘0×08223a’: Failed to resolve AimIK bone indices.
Model ‘0×080b24’: Failed to resolve AimIK bone indices.
Model ‘0×082239’: Failed to resolve AimIK bone indices.
Debug token ‘0×00000000000266FA’: Lightning ran out of space for new bolts.
Texture ‘0×03539b’ dimensions too small
Loading ‘0×03539b’ texture failed
Debug token ‘0×00000000000EB017’: Lightning ran out of space for new bolts.
Debug token ‘0×00000000000F1059’: Lightning ran out of space for new bolts.

those are graphic error. anet bug fixing department. same on your first report missing texture graphic content, ran out of space, to small to fit texture object etc…

also if you use windows 10 you could always do a file integrity check on your system. from admin command prompt : fnc scan now. it will check file integrity and fix error if it say 100% you are done if not you can do another command to get the report and go see what was not fixed. always good to do one when you have install new os put new memory added some new update or program. why because if there is some error cause by network or memory or bad file. it fix it.

for the game software you can also do the same try repair by changing the end of the client by – repair and start it, it will check is own file and repair it self if something is missing.

once done remove the change and try to play again.

(edited by stephanie wise.7841)

Cephas.8615

Hi Stephanie,

What do you mean by remove the 2×4gb one and use the 2×8gb one? I am using the 64bit client as I have a 64bit PC.

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz
Memory: 24GB (2 × 4GB AND 2 × 8GB) Both 1600mhz corsair vengence pros, just different sizes.
Graphic: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Hard Drive: Western Digital 1 TB Green SATA

I have all but 3 things disabeled to send data to MS.

My internet connection is a fiber connection with unlimited dl/ul at 60Mbps.

sfc /scannow reports no errors neither does memory diagnostics.

I have also ran the repair utility multiple times.

I think I know what you mean now in regards to remove the 2×4 and use the 2×8. I am assuming, and please do correct me if I am wrong, that you are refferring to my memory. When I studied computer science it was taught that as long as the RAM has all the same specs except the size then it would be able to work together. I am starting to see this may not be the case anymore.

Regardless I appreciate your thoughts on this Stephanie and look forward to your next response.

Edited to include latest error report

(edited by Cephas.8615)

Ellieanna.5027

Memory: 24GB (2 × 4GB AND 2 × 8GB) Both 1600mhz corsair vengence pros, just different sizes.

It quite possibly could be those sticks causing issues together. Have you tried with just 16 gigs of ram to see if GW2 still crashes?

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

Go back to the EXACT same 2×4GB RAM set-up when you had no problems. At the very least this will allow you to dis-count memory stick problems (which are very difficult to work out). Note, GW2 will gain little if anything at all from having more than 8GB of RAM on a computer even with a 64-bit client.

If you still have crashes check to see if these ONLY occur with a particular character – this would point to a GW2 file corruption or gaming bug.

If no crashes with 2×4GB then you have a RAM stick problem.

To diagnose this type of problem you have to start from a known working base and move slowly forward from there. Anything else is just voodoo and best left in the classroom.

From this distance my best guess is you have a RAM stick problem, this may only show up with GW2 because of the high RAM throughput causing sufficient changes – usually due to heat – in the RAM chip characteristics to confuse the motherboard/CPU. Note, this does not mean the sticks are duff, they could easily work in another motherboard, possibly in a different combination.

It’s very easy and quick to swap RAM sticks in/out and around, so try to rule problems in this area out first.

(edited by lilypop.7819)

stephanie wise.7841

Hi Stephanie,

What do you mean by remove the 2×4gb one and use the 2×8gb one? I am using the 64bit client as I have a 64bit PC.

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz
Graphic: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Hard Drive: Western Digital 1 TB Green SATA

I have all but 3 things disabeled to send data to MS.

My internet connection is a fiber connection with unlimited dl/ul at 60Mbps.

sfc /scannow reports no errors neither does memory diagnostics.

I have also ran the repair utility multiple times.

I think I know what you mean now in regards to remove the 2×4 and use the 2×8. I am assuming, and please do correct me if I am wrong, that you are refferring to my memory. When I studied computer science it was taught that as long as the RAM has all the same specs except the size then it would be able to work together. I am starting to see this may not be the case anymore.

Regardless I appreciate your thoughts on this Stephanie and look forward to your next response.

Edited to include latest error report

yes for memory unless something changed, I think you should use always the same size of memory. from what I remember if you use smaller bar it makes you run at the limit of the smaller one. would be better for you to put 4x 8. try with 2×8. and later on add two more 2×8.

that is why when I get a system I always get the big bar from the start. more easy to put bar in after with out being stuck with smaller one that you do not know what to do with.

and you always need more memory. the more stuff you do on the system the more memory you use. you start with a brand new system that run maybe 50 process and start adding your program and apps now you are over 100 process running that use memory and cpu ressource.

even using the web it store some stuff in memory also. take a look at browser you get some cookie 4kb.

and now with html 5 they have something to replace cookie in the browser reserve memory 10kb. but those subject are more at dev levels when they write program or web stuff that use some memory to work. the more complex the programming the more cookie it use or the new reserve memory in some browser.

any way just look at dvd 4.7gb then hd dvd 30 to 50 gb. everything grow and take more memory. so adding some when you can is always good. even more when you see performance issue. 8gb is a minimum. adding more will give you better performance.

also add the same kind of ram there is some difference. example ecc and non ecc.

Error-correcting code memory (ECC memory) is a type of computer data storage that can detect and correct the most common kinds of internal data corruption. ECC memory is used in most computers where data corruption cannot be tolerated under any circumstances, such as for scientific or financial computing.

Typically, ECC memory maintains a memory system immune to single-bit errors: the data that is read from each word is always the same as the data that had been written to it, even if one or more bits actually stored have been flipped to the wrong state. Most non-ECC memory cannot detect errors although some non-ECC memory with parity support allows detection but not correction.

ram frequency. higher frequency gives higher speed. use same speed for all the stick. see computer documentation to use the right frequency since putting higher frequency ram if you do not have the correct bus speed to handle it will not help you.

balance ram vs none balance ram. balance ram is ram that is balance to work best together same speed and latency or very close. non balance is ram that is not tested and balence or ram that have lower spec. having balance ram can give you better performance.

as for the report you are not alone I got one last night to send to anet. same kind as your graphic error. program crash etc. seen it when I have exit the game . maybe better that way since that when you send the error report the game close. weird thing is that the game run even if there is error report that are out. it as been a long time like this. was happy to have no error report. since hot it seams that they have a lot of stuff to fix so we don’t have error report to send to them. since this game use dx 9 high level api and there is abstraction layer and the driver and api correct a lot of stuff for the dev. it might take them very long to solve everything properly. would probably be more easy for them with a dx 12 low level api no abstraction layer and the dev could see more direct what is the issue. but even then they would have a lot of job to do and need some time to get use to that new api more stuff for them to learn.

(edited by stephanie wise.7841)

Cephas.8615

@Ellieanna – I ran just the 2×8GB sticks for about 1.5 – 2 hours last night and no issue. In my opinion that is not a long enough test period as I have had played that long before without issue with both sets in. I am going to run tonight for about 2.5-4 hours and see the results.

@lilypop – As mentioned above I ran just the 2×8GB last night for 1.5 – 2 hours. I will do a longer test period tonight to see if that helps at all. However I have tested the RAM modules both through Windows Memory Diagnostic Tools and the Memtest tools. Both reported no errors. This is when testing each individually and when in various combinations together. I even went old school and did the old scream test, because yes I still insist on an internal speaker being on my motherboard regardless of the fact of it having a mini lcd to report any issues.

@stephanie – When there are memories of different Mhz it will run at the lower mhz. That is not the case for size, at least it wasn’t when I was studying computer science. Perhaps instead of allowing a continued open environment manufacturers are closing possibilities up. It has been 9 years since I graduated but I keep all credentials up and work for the national leader in computer defense. Unfortunately I’m on the systems analysis and development side of things and not with the hardware team. If only there was a way to get those guys to come to my cube to talk shop about outside builds

Thank you all for your help and patience. I will update when I have either completed 2-4 hours of no issue or the game crashes.

Cheers,

Pete

Ellieanna.5027

@Ellieanna – I ran just the 2×8GB sticks for about 1.5 – 2 hours last night and no issue. In my opinion that is not a long enough test period as I have had played that long before without issue with both sets in. I am going to run tonight for about 2.5-4 hours and see the results.

@lilypop – As mentioned above I ran just the 2×8GB last night for 1.5 – 2 hours. I will do a longer test period tonight to see if that helps at all. However I have tested the RAM modules both through Windows Memory Diagnostic Tools and the Memtest tools. Both reported no errors. This is when testing each individually and when in various combinations together. I even went old school and did the old scream test, because yes I still insist on an internal speaker being on my motherboard regardless of the fact of it having a mini lcd to report any issues.

@stephanie – When there are memories of different Mhz it will run at the lower mhz. That is not the case for size, at least it wasn’t when I was studying computer science. Perhaps instead of allowing a continued open environment manufacturers are closing possibilities up. It has been 9 years since I graduated but I keep all credentials up and work for the national leader in computer defense. Unfortunately I’m on the systems analysis and development side of things and not with the hardware team. If only there was a way to get those guys to come to my cube to talk shop about outside builds

Thank you all for your help and patience. I will update when I have either completed 2-4 hours of no issue or the game crashes.

Cheers,

Pete

The memory might not have errors, but they can cause errors together. Ram is super super picky about everything. Even though they are the exact same, they aren’t because they are different sizes. If you don’t have issues for a long time (try it like that for days) and if you put the other ram back in the issue comes back, you’ll know its a conflicting issue.

stephanie wise.7841

Cheers,

Pete

The memory might not have errors, but they can cause errors together. Ram is super super picky about everything. Even though they are the exact same, they aren’t because they are different sizes. If you don’t have issues for a long time (try it like that for days) and if you put the other ram back in the issue comes back, you’ll know its a conflicting issue.

actually Ellieanna different module of memory operate at different clock speed and latency there might also be different voltage. in ddr memory ddr2 ddr 3 ddr 4 usely memory work in pair dual channel this double the bus speed to transfer the data to the cpu. so using the same paired memory stick work best. in the case of 4 stick it is 2 pair. and again having the same memory stick is best. best practice is always to get the bigger stick 2 of them to get the dual channel speed benefit. and if you add more you put another pair that is the same. using memory module that are different in speed and capacity will not work best. it was like that 13 year ago and if you go read up on the subject it still work the same. as for ddr 4 it should come out on the market after 2016. since it require new hardware.

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

Memory will run at the highest speed of the lowest configured DIMM when you run them in pairs. So if you mix 1333 and 1600, they will both run at 1333. Same applies to Cas Latency settings, but the highest common SPD stored CL rating will be used.

The same applies to DDR4 (which has been out in the market for a while now..)

What matters when Mixing DIMMs, along with Speed/CAS/Voltage, is also the Rank config of each Stick. Single rank, Dual Rank, and quad rank cannot be mixed. Most ram is dual rank (2 64kittenannels on the DIMM) but if you mix ram that is a single rank it tends to cause issues, and this is highly overlooked.