Authenticator Questions/Concerns [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Fathme.5216

Fathme.5216

ok so i just tried to install the google authenticator and it ended and first off just flat out not working, then it locked me out of my smart phone from accessing Gmail, well really a waste of time and a huge hassle, if anyone can help please do but i uninstalled it

Posted by: Hydra.1632

Hydra.1632

I recently installed google authenticator and linked it with my account. When I’m logging in it never ask me to use the google authenticator code. I dont need anything but my normal GW2 password. When should it ask for my google auth. code?

Posted by: Akiru.8065

Akiru.8065

Similar issues here, I have google authenticator activated, but since a few days ago, it never asks me for my code.
I forced an ISP IP renew (changing my physical address) and when I log on, it still without asking authenticator code…

In profile/security it shows all authorized IP, and it adds the new IP automatically. Is this working as intended? have you added something similar to google’s “trusted-computer”? Im not sure if my account is protected right now…

Also, I think that you should add a system to revoke authentication to unused IPs, or even a way (button/checkbox) to untrust all other networks (to have only one trusted network)

Posted by: Urgh.3258

Urgh.3258

In general the idea of the login authorization system is not bad, however I am using DSL with dynamic IP meaning I recieve a new IP adress daily. This of course also means i cannot use ‘authorize this network’ since i would have to remove IP adresses from previous days manually.
To better illustrate the problem: i have recieved about 110 (one hundred an ten!) emails to autorize login since launch so far, basically for every time I open the client. This is extremely annoying.
On another note, on a few occasions I did not get a login request mail for an entire day or two, even though the system should send one on every single login attempt.
I do not have a mobile phone, using the mobile authenticator is not an option.

Suggestion:
a) allow disabling of the authentication (unsafe)
b) use a different identifier than the global IP, e.g. netword adapter MAC adress or some other hardware related metric, to identify a user

Hello.
I have the same problem!!!
I really TIRED to open email each time and to confirm my dynamic IP.
Could you please turn this option off!

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Indian.3604

Indian.3604

I have a problem, when i was away from my known network i had to punch in the authenticator code, but for some reason it shows ive never activated it on my app but on my account it shows i have one, i tried to turn the app on and it asks for a “Key” or a “Barcode” but i cant find either on my account, i really want to fix my authenitcator or just be able to remove it from my account, plz help.

Posted by: PsiQss.6927

PsiQss.6927

I took a break from GW2 for about two months and now when I’m back, I’ve noticed that the e-mail authentication doesn’t work for me anymore. I mean, it looks like it’s disabled or something and I can simply login without authentication. I’m using dynamic IP but I have no problem with it, and I’d like it back

Also, is there a way to remove authorized networks from the list?

Posted by: RedFury.7814

RedFury.7814

Good Day,

A few months back, I heard of the extra 2 step authenticator so I thought I’d use it. It worked well. Till I sold my phone and got a new one instead. Now I can’t login sometimes due to me not having the codes from the authenticator. Please Help me unlink it from my account. I bought the digital copy of the game, and No I dont have the serial key, for It has been long lost.

Thank you.

Posted by: Sidra.4835

Sidra.4835

So my brother tried logging in today on his account and do to our changing ip adress he had to authenticate it with the link from an email like normal, but his email did not show up till 15 minutes later and then when he clicked it it told him that it failed to authenticate the ip adress , so we tried a different ip adress and got the same results, so if you guys could help us out here on what the problem might be.

Posted by: Takato.4976

Takato.4976

So I had to remove my authenticator and re-install it due to resetting my phone to factory default.

I’m currently trying to unlink+relink it with the authenticator so I can start using it again on my phone.

But I can’t add an account on the app because it asks for the account and a key ( I dont have a key ) and I used the QR scanner too ( which is also not available to me right now ) And to unlink, it wants me to input 2 codes that I don’t have access to because my app is not linked anymore.

What do ?

It’s like I’m asking for a job, but can’t get the job because I lack experience.
And I can’t get experience because I can’t otherwise get a job unless I have said experience.

Edit : so it seems the reset was sent and I was successfully able to verify my account and get it unlinked that way.
It would be nice to manually chose to reset it that way ourselves.
Thanks for the assistance whoever pulled the strings.

(edited by Takato.4976)

Posted by: Wizywig.3217

Wizywig.3217

If I enable two-factor auth. Does this mean that EVERY time I try to log in I will need the auth? I really do like the fact that I don’t need to re-input information on my computer. I guess what I ask is if I am on the same IP, the same computer, same everything, will/can two-factor auth not bug me for say 30 days (like google). Because I assume if it’s safe enough for google, its more than safe enough for GW2 (if my gmail is compromised, I am much more screwed).

Posted by: Kashama.5316

Kashama.5316

Also I’m using email authentication system but it doesn’t work properly for me. I didn’t recieve any mails from Arena Net when I need to allow access to my account. The only way I can get to my account is by disabling email authentication for a while and then login without it.

Posted by: resi.8765

resi.8765

For the first time I received the message please authenticate your ip address from a place in Covent Garden. As I live 400 miles away from there I thought someone was trying to use my ackitten. So stupidly I declined.

Then afterwards I found the e-mail from arena net and was not able to get online anymore.
I also can not get onto the Guild Wars 2 website as they are requesting authentification, which I foolishly declined.

Please someone help me to reverse that so I can get back on GW2. !!!!

Posted by: Solanacea.1490

Solanacea.1490

Hello,
recently I started playing guild wars. Upon my first login it prompted me to authorise an IP network. Which I did since it was mine.

Now apparently I’m on a dynamic IP which changes twice a week, needing me to re-authorise. So far it’s been only 3, but from cities that aren’t even remotely near me. I live in X and it tells me I’m logging in from Y over 70km away…. And then today it turns to Z which is the same distance in the other direction.

The IP adresses are entirely different aswell…. an 89.something something to 109 something something. And this is really starting to bother me now, since it keeps asking me to authorise and authorise from places nowhere near me, twice a week. I’ve been wanting to turn e-mail authorisation off but I cant do that either apparently….

Do I just need to suck it up and authorise over and over and over and over again?

Posted by: Proz.6937

Proz.6937

I have used the Google Authenticator for a while now. But yesterday I did a factory reset on my phone. How do I unlink authenticator, so I could link it again after factory reset? It requires codes from the authenticator, but I can’t enter them becuase I don’t have them.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I am all for being able to disable this feature as it takes me bout 24 hours to get the authentication email. I have tried that Google Authenticator but it either doesn’t work or I just not sure how to use it since there is no directions on how to use it.

Posted by: SilencedScream.2167

SilencedScream.2167

I’m also requesting the removal of the authenticator.

I, like many others, have a dynamic IP – I purchased the game at 10pm last night.

I had to authenticate via email:
-To link the game
-To sign into the game last night
-To sign into the game again after a break
-To sign into the forums
-To sign into the game this morning
-To sign into the game after a power outage about ten minutes ago
-To sign in to post this

2-3 times is fine, but after the fifth, I’ve just been keeping my email open. I know security is a major issue for MMOs, but I have full faith in my ability to select a password and would much rather face the risk than have to go about this every single time I wish to do ANYTHING GW2 related.

The game’s been out since August – has there not been any headway on allowing people to voluntarily disable authentication?

Henge of Denravi – [SAS]
Duct Tape Applied [Charr Ranger]
A Roll Of Duct Tape [Human Guardian, Commander]

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

Im tired of checking mail and having tones of “Authorise login attempt” spam in my mailbox, just becouse im using dynamic IP.

Let me disable it.

For the love of all that is holy, this.

Not only that but e-mail is NOT an instant communication medium so stop abusing it as if it was one! It can take quite a while for an e-mail to arrive, so having 50 of those stupid e-mails none of which still works because the request timed out aeons ago is not helping (it sure does keep my account secure though, as eve I can’t get in anymore)

Posted by: Thez.5062

Thez.5062

I have to confirm the access every time by email but I have already click on “remember this IP”.. so why I have to confirm every time?

Posted by: GreenishTea.9840

GreenishTea.9840

Hi I am unable to unlink my mobile authenticator. I recently got a new phone, and the codes from my old phone that was previously linked to my account don’t work anymore. I am unable to link my account to my new phone because the codes from my old phone doesn’t work…
It says code is invalid when I try to unlink my old device.

Posted by: AryS.1394

AryS.1394

My 2 kids and i played GW2 from my home, now with the new improved security (LOL) only one of us can log in and the others get errors (probably becouse there is an active account on the ip). This makes the game useless for me. To add to it I get a verification e-mail when I log in but the info in the e-mail about where i log in from isn’t correct and still when i accept i get in wich makes my trust the security sooooo much. And to ad some more I had to change my password becouse it was on a list already used or hacked FROM THEIR SERVERS. What kind of security makes playing the game impossible and how can they list our passwords so they can easily be hacked??? I and my kids and their friend will demand refunds since we can’t all play the game. And THIS game was to be a treat to WOW. roflmao…..

Posted by: JayMinja.9354

JayMinja.9354

I have had an odd issue with the authentication I only get one email right away about verifying and it mentions a different city a different, and a different IP adress but the country remains the same, yet it’s the only one I can verify and it happens in like a second why?

Posted by: Fezzel.1365

Fezzel.1365

I was wondering if the email authentication discontinues it’s self after you add the google authenticator? Because I registered my account a few days ago. And I have never received any of the email authentication messages. and the only one time I was forced to use my google authenticator was when I signed into the website from my mobile smart phone. Should the google authenticator not prompt me every time I log into the game? I wouldn’t mind having both going.

Posted by: stuzzmonkey.1304

stuzzmonkey.1304

I have the same issue with my dynamic IP, having to authenticate thru email every time i want to play, so I have stopped logging in until I can disable this, going back to WoW.

Posted by: Zeck.2174

Zeck.2174

Hello

I want to know how to reset or unlink my Authenticator… (Yes i know this can do from account and unlink) the problem is: My phone was have hard reset and can save this or make some backup so i need to reset or unlink to configure again.

How i can fix this?

Posted by: Elmindreda Farshaw.3620

Elmindreda Farshaw.3620

Hello,

as some others have said, I had to reset my phone, which took out the google authenticator, and i can not re-link my authenticator to my account to my phone for some reason. This is very frustrating as GW2 is on my laptop and i can now not use the game anywhere other than my house. It wants the codes from the authenticator that is no longer linked on my phone in order to unlink the account.

Posted by: The Warder.6352

The Warder.6352

For those trying to unlink authenticators, they should go to Account Recovery. Click “Disable Linked Authentication”. Follow the steps it presents you. Beware you will need your original retail box serial number or digital copy serial number. If you receive an error message after performing the de-link procedure, ignore it then go back to Account Management Security and perform the mobile authenticator linking steps again.

Posted by: medusa.3091

medusa.3091

installed the authenticator app on my phone, set it up, linked to account, no problem with any of that. Now I can log in to the game, and onto this site, without being asked to enter any code from the app? so what is the point of the authenticator? I was hoping it would give me peace of mind since I got hacked within the first week of the game’s launch, but nuuu, it just doesnt seem to work, at all. So I think I will unlink and uninstall. Unless there is something else I should do to get it to work?

Norn Ranger Tamarn

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

installed the authenticator app on my phone, set it up, linked to account, no problem with any of that. Now I can log in to the game, and onto this site, without being asked to enter any code from the app? so what is the point of the authenticator? I was hoping it would give me peace of mind since I got hacked within the first week of the game’s launch, but nuuu, it just doesnt seem to work, at all. So I think I will unlink and uninstall. Unless there is something else I should do to get it to work?

The way it works is that it remembers the networks that you yourself authenticate. When you logged in from your home network (or wherever it is you play from), that network was saved in a list of known good networks. You can see the list if you go to your Account settings in GW2.

If someone else tries to log in with your username, they will probably not be on the same network as you. In that case, they will not be able to log in because they don’t have your authenticator.

dinominator.9862

Sorry if this has been asked, I didn’t check all 7 pages of this thread… but I did try a search.

Is there a way to link a second device with the Google authenticator installed? I have it working and linked on my phone, but I just got a tablet and want to have the authenticator there as well. I didn’t see an option to link another one in the Account page.

Posted by: The Warder.6352

The Warder.6352

You may use the Google Authenticator on multiple devices. The key is to scan the same QR code presented with each device that you want to use with the authenticator. Go to Unlink Mobile Authentication or use the Account Recovery page. Follow the steps using either method. Then go back to Account Management Security and perform the authentication steps. Make sure when the QR code appears to scan it with each device you would like to use for authentication purposes.

dinominator.9862

^ worked, thank you!

Posted by: medusa.3091

medusa.3091

thank you dinominator.9862 for answering my question. much obliged.

Norn Ranger Tamarn

Posted by: Ninjid.9716

Ninjid.9716

HELP!!!!!

my friend bought the game today and we made an account and tried to add an authenticator to his account and when we went to sign in on the account it was not asking for it so we never made a character and he said forge the authenticator because it was giving us problems linking with his account so we deleted the app…. so he goes to play the game and it asks for the aunthenticator and he cannot unlink the authenticator because we never made a character (need character name along with serial code)

PLEASE REPLY FAST

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

HELP!!!!!

my friend bought the game today and we made an account and tried to add an authenticator to his account and when we went to sign in on the account it was not asking for it so we never made a character and he said forge the authenticator because it was giving us problems linking with his account so we deleted the app…. so he goes to play the game and it asks for the aunthenticator and he cannot unlink the authenticator because we never made a character (need character name along with serial code)

PLEASE REPLY FAST

Please ask him to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist your friend with this situation. For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please ask him to review this post and provide as much as possible to expedite the ticket.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: sledgehammer.6182

sledgehammer.6182

Hi,
I’m a player from singapore. I logged in two days ago and at the log in page i was told to authenticate the log-in attempt. I logged on to my email and was shocked to see this.
A log-in attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 118.200.67.169
City: Beijing
Region: 22

I try restarting my router but to no avail. Im actually pretty confused, im in singapore but the ip address is coming from Beijing? i’ve logging in through this ip address for the past 2 days. To make it worse, my latency goes as high as 400 and it gets really laggy. I’ve been an active player and never face this problem before. Any help will be appreciated ty!

Posted by: Archangel.7965

Archangel.7965

I have just tried to play this game again for the first time in a few months and was told I was signing in from a different ip even though this is the same PC I used to play the game with before, and that I had to verify the log-in via email. I opened my email and was told a log-in attempt was awaiting authorization with this underneath:

Address: 2.121.79.178
City: Caddington
Region: A5

I don’t even know where Caddington is lol… So I came onto the forums and found this thread and after reading a couple of pages and skimming the rest someone said you can type what is my ip into google and verifiy the ip is correct, which is it. I was still wary of allowing it though as the City was not one I knew, but since I only got these emails the few occasions I tried logging in today then I’m hoping it’s ok.

Posted by: Amby.4738

Amby.4738

I am not a computer gamer per say, just a registered nurse working on a Doctorate/PH D. I am unable to log into my game account due to email verification problems which was forced upon me without my say so. I would ask that arena networks consider installing a tog gable verification option as my next action will be to simply delete gw2 from my computer and never play it again. Hello Gaile “froggy” G.

Posted by: SilverLion.1498

SilverLion.1498

Hi,
Early this morning when i try to log into my game with mobile authenticator. It have stop me from logging in. It just keep showing me that Invalid Username and/or Password. Keep asking me to do a Recovery on my Account which i did and reset my password. It still doesn’t work at all. The only reason i can post on here is that i disable the Mobile Authenticator. I have tried to link back with the mobile authenticator but it can’t go through.

I really like to use Mobile Authenticator rather then using email to verify. Using Email to Verify is not a good ideal for me since my email itself need to be verify via SMS. Which now i’m force to use it or no Authenticator at all.

Hope to heard from you soon for any resolve.
Thanks and keep me posted A.S.A.P .

Posted by: Aoinelhiem.6034

Aoinelhiem.6034

I’ve been forced to authenticate every login attempt from the same IP address ever since I got the game.

I thank your help in advance.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I have just tried to play this game again for the first time in a few months and was told I was signing in from a different ip even though this is the same PC I used to play the game with before, and that I had to verify the log-in via email. I opened my email and was told a log-in attempt was awaiting authorization with this underneath:

Address: 2.121.79.178
City: Caddington
Region: A5

I don’t even know where Caddington is lol… So I came onto the forums and found this thread and after reading a couple of pages and skimming the rest someone said you can type what is my ip into google and verifiy the ip is correct, which is it. I was still wary of allowing it though as the City was not one I knew, but since I only got these emails the few occasions I tried logging in today then I’m hoping it’s ok.

If in doubt about an IP address, I recommend that you contact your ISP and ask them about it. For instance, “I’m in Portsmouth, but the IP address says I’m in Edinburgh. Should my ‘dynamic IP’ be quite that dynamic?” They can tell you if the addresses being offered are legitimate, or if someone is trying to sneak onto your account. If you’re at all uncomfortable, I suggest changing your password, and making sure it’s unique to GW2 only and very complex.

Hi,
Early this morning when i try to log into my game with mobile authenticator. It have stop me from logging in. It just keep showing me that Invalid Username and/or Password. Keep asking me to do a Recovery on my Account which i did and reset my password. It still doesn’t work at all. The only reason i can post on here is that i disable the Mobile Authenticator. I have tried to link back with the mobile authenticator but it can’t go through.

I really like to use Mobile Authenticator rather then using email to verify. Using Email to Verify is not a good ideal for me since my email itself need to be verify via SMS. Which now i’m force to use it or no Authenticator at all.

Hope to heard from you soon for any resolve.
Thanks and keep me posted A.S.A.P .

I believe that Support can help with this. Could you contact them? I will post a link in this thread.

I’ve been forced to authenticate every login attempt from the same IP address ever since I got the game.

I thank your help in advance.

This could happen if your ISP had an extremely “dynamic” set of IPs. But every time? That can be an inconvenience. (Although, in point of fact, other players have requested that level of authentication.) If you want help, please go ahead and contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They should be able to assist or advise you.

I am not a computer gamer per say, just a registered nurse working on a Doctorate/PH D. I am unable to log into my game account due to email verification problems which was forced upon me without my say so. I would ask that arena networks consider installing a tog gable verification option as my next action will be to simply delete gw2 from my computer and never play it again. Hello Gaile “froggy” G.

Amby, email authentication should not be “forced on” anyone. If you don’t want authentication, get in touch with Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you remove authentication.

I personally recommend that you keep it, and I’m hoping that you will, and that Support can help you keep auth and get into the game easily and smoothly.

Froggie says, "I do not understand ‘uninstall,’ but judging from the ghastly pallor of my human friend’s face, this thing called “uninstall” must be bad in the extreme. The Frog encourages you to reach out to Those Who Serve for assistance."

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Kranky.3216

Kranky.3216

Ok now I am having to auth everytime I log into the game. So I have to check my email each time I log in.

Yeah, so… how do we get rid of it? I don’t see it in the account settings. It’s annoying. I would prefer not to have to do it again. This is not the only computer I use, and if I have to check my email every time I want to log on it’s going to get really old really fast.

If you looked on the authorization page, there is a check box below the allow access button that says: “Remember this network”. It does exactly what it says.

Sir please be noticing that in the “open your eyes section” once you have clicked the email auth link it brings you to the login “allow access” page, now the user has the option to check the always allow (or remember this addr!) “check box”, but does not know that the login attempt will work until after he/she hits the “allow” button link. Once doing so and realising it might work you no longer have the option to remember network after login! And I certainly don’t want to select “remember this network” then hit “allow” and be refused login as it may create a whole new can of login worms…

Posted by: omgReport.8902

omgReport.8902

Unbelivable, with this kind of authentication i need EVERY ******* DAY to wait at least 20 minutes (or more) before I can finally start to play; just because i receive everytime the email of authentication like 15 minutes after that i send the request and in the meantime the game doesnt accept the email anymore! I am so annoyed really, also a little bit angry! Disable me this kind of authentication, it a mess!!! I dont care if someone hacks my account, i have nothing to loose! Stop this sh**t i am sick of this method, it`s absolutely the worse i ever seen!

Posted by: Taven.5402

Taven.5402

Yeah, I’m tired of this as well! It does not always tell you the right ip(it rarely does) that your getting in the email, but you HAVE to allow it to play. I’m tired of it, and it its faulty, and it needs to be removed until it is right. I understand the need to protect us, but this is ridiculous….either get rid of it, or give us a option to stop it because I believe 100% of the people who get this NEVER turned it on in their account settings.

Posted by: Icarias.9480

Icarias.9480

Hello I read through the Authentication post and saw a few comments that related to my issue I am currently having. I tryed to log in to the game and it said to authenticate via email so I checked my email sure enough there it is. Well I go to authenticate and it tells me Failure Error, when I went to authenticate my Guild wars website login it allowed me with a big old Success across the screen. I tryed again to authenticate game login information but still it tells me Failure…Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Thank you

Posted by: Jongotti.9568

Jongotti.9568

How do i turn the Athenticator off? It is real buggy and takes me like 10-15 mins to get my e-mail sent got to close game and reopen over and over makes me not want to play the game. There has got to be something you guys can do to fix this.

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

I have multiple concerns with the Email Authenticator, not only is the location it gives me -never- correct, but the last couple of times I’ve had to do it, it takes a good 10-15 minutes to actually send me the email, so I’m left being unable to log-in. Not only this, but I even have to wait to post on the forums since it also requires authentication.

Posted by: tyodog.9547

tyodog.9547

man ive been trying to log in forever now like 3 weeks to no avail it wont let me authenticate the email i never get an email and then if i do it just says failure but ive only played the game on this pc i know my guild probably thinks i quit which is not the case but this is causing a major issue and i need this fixed like soon

Posted by: TRITON.3812

TRITON.3812

Hello, my account was hacked, some guy turned on authenticator, but did not change the password. Can i turn off authenticator?

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Account got hacked, but I caught it within a few hours and changed all passwords including my emails and ran several anti virus / spyware / malware scans. However, no emails ever came in for me to Authenticate the login, and I even checked my saved authentications, only my IP was saved. So I have now set up 2 step authentication, hopefully no one can bypass that!

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: zeeZ.5713

zeeZ.5713

I think the text next to the input boxes forthe process of unlinking an authenticator could be reworded a bit to clear up confusion.

Currently, it asks for a current code and a different code. Clever as I thought I was I went to the second input (different code) and entered whatever code it gave me, then went to the first input (current code) and the code my authenticator showed next. That didn’t work, so I tried again, and again.

I was already looking into possible recovery options when I switched it around, just for the heck of it. Into the first input (current code) I entered the code that was current/valid as of page load, and in the second input (different code) I entered whatever came next. Naturally, that worked.

Maybe it’s my own stupid fault for not reading the whole page properly as I only managed to skim it as far as “Please confirm that you enter two different codes yada yada yada ok got it” in the second paragraph and totally overlooked “and that the second is newer than the first.” in the second half of the sentence, but who has the time to read two full paragraphs these days when they obviously know what they’re doing? :P