Authenticator Questions/Concerns [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Please post in this thread if you have issues, questions, or concerns about the Guild Wars 2 authentication system (either the mobile or *email" authentication systems).

Note: If you resolve your issue, please post an update here, as well, so our Security Team can focus on the continuing issues and so they know when things are resolved. If you did certain things to correct your particular issue, please share them.

Thanks!

Edit to add: See this KB article for more information about Mobile Authentication.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Falrinth.4168

Falrinth.4168

Im tired of checking mail and having tones of “Authorise login attempt” spam in my mailbox, just becouse im using dynamic IP.

Let me disable it.

Posted by: Hell.7694

Hell.7694

When i try to log in on my laptop while at a different location i get the authentication pop up as i take i should. Though when i try to confirm this i get:

Failure

An error occurred with your request.

I’m unable to log in there (i used to be but after a patch i had to do it again), which is quite frustrating at times.

Any help on this?

Posted by: Eloise.4723

Eloise.4723

Okayy.. So Apparently my account is now doing the Email Authentication thing, Expect.. I never signed up for it or okayed it, Why is it suddenly doing this? Kinda freaked out right now.

Eloise.4723

I came here to post exactly the same thing. Did Anet enable it across all accounts with no notification?

oh god, thank you so much for this, it freaked me out so much, to the point I changed my pass.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

No worries. We’re improving security and you’ll see a forum announcement here that explains.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Eloise.4723

No worries. We’re improving security and you’ll see a forum announcement here that explains.

Ohh, Alright thank you <3

Posted by: Zin.6170

Zin.6170

Usually you do the forum announcement before you going changing login procedures. Just saying….

So anyway, when can I log in?

Posted by: Treltic.2396

Treltic.2396

I was able to get in finally…but this is for people banging their head against their desk.

The authorization never said that it had sent me my email. It will set there “thinking” and then eventually close out saying something about “firewall” or “settings” one of the random automatic responses that make no sense most times.

In fact it had sent me 5 verifications but I only found them because I decided to try and check my email to see if that was in fact what was going on. Until I figured that out I could not log on here or in the game.

So even if it looks like it does not finish sending you the authorization or even if you get a false error go ahead and check your email anyway because it probably is there.

I am all for security but won’t this create a problem if someone doesn’t get it or if it doesn’t work as attended and they can’t log in to the forms for assistance.

Love the game!

Posted by: Brian.8037

Brian.8037

I did it too but i noticed one thing, the city is not right, mine says I live somewhere else, the country and IP were right though, hope this won’t freak people out and think something is wrong, you never know.

Posted by: dlechestnut.3954

dlechestnut.3954

If you type “What is my ip” into Google, it will tell you what you current IP address is.
That way you can easily confirm that the address on the email is the one you’re currently using.

Keeping the roads safe — one hylek at a time.

Posted by: Vikingx.4307

Vikingx.4307

Did I miss the memo? If i did that would have saved me a conniption fit…though i may have another as I still cant log the hell in.

Posted by: Treltic.2396

Treltic.2396

Ok now I am having to auth everytime I log into the game. So I have to check my email each time I log in.

Posted by: Gem.1548

Gem.1548

Yeah, so… how do we get rid of it? I don’t see it in the account settings. It’s annoying. I would prefer not to have to do it again. This is not the only computer I use, and if I have to check my email every time I want to log on it’s going to get really old really fast.

Posted by: KaeTay.8914

KaeTay.8914

I’m still waiting to be able to have e-mail authentication. My husband has it, my friends have it and I STILL don’t! It’s not under the security tab or anything. When can I get this? Recently someone from China tried to log into my husbands account and authentication saved his account from being hacked. I’d like to protect my account.

Posted by: Razgriz.7319

Razgriz.7319

Ok now I am having to auth everytime I log into the game. So I have to check my email each time I log in.

Yeah, so… how do we get rid of it? I don’t see it in the account settings. It’s annoying. I would prefer not to have to do it again. This is not the only computer I use, and if I have to check my email every time I want to log on it’s going to get really old really fast.

If you looked on the authorization page, there is a check box below the allow access button that says: “Remember this network”. It does exactly what it says.

~ 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Detonate.7690

Detonate.7690

I am logging in from the same pc I always do. Why is it saying i’m logging in from a different one?

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

‘Remember this network’ makes me think that I am allowing more than my one single IP.
The word network makes me think of multiple IPs and so should be changed to something more obvious as the single IP.
I did not tick it the first few times because I did not want to allow a network access.

Also, it errors a lot after authenticating.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

I am not getting any email so I can’t log in.
I checked the trash email folder and no email in there either.

How do I play now?

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

Also, a really striking issue: for some reason I can still post in here.

But I tried going in my account settings to disable it (I can’t play since I don’t get any email) and it also asks me to click the email in there.

So, I can’t even contact the support because I am totally cut off everything in this game.

Finally, is here a way to have this email re-sent?

I can’t believe I am just locked out of my game, exactly when you will reset the bugged skill points and I can get my 100% completion

(edited by Vaerah.4907)

Posted by: Black.9412

Black.9412

Since the security change today, I have had to authenticate every time I open my client, even if it was just a few minutes ago. My router isn’t disconnecting so I am not getting a new IP address and yet if I authenticate and exit the client then when I log back in it wants me to re authenticate again.

Please fix this issue, thanks.

EDIT: I had forgotten to check the remember this network, so make sure you check the box when validating.

(edited by Black.9412)

Posted by: Zarg.2964

Zarg.2964

same thing happen to me, someone from China try to login to my account too, i hope you get it and i hope it works

Posted by: VesperDareth.7563

VesperDareth.7563

Same here, despite that I have dynamic IP I keep getting e-mail authorization each time I try to log in on game or on website, it’s very annoying (even when my IP didn’t change)! It started today, never had this issue before.

Posted by: Grey.7862

Grey.7862

I’m getting the same thing. I don’t mind it once or twice but for every login it’s a pain.

Posted by: Dark Kain.3870

Dark Kain.3870

I also have this problem since this morning

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

I suggested this back before the self help disable email authentication was activated.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Request-Enable-Email-Authentication-system/first#post27011

Can you please add this feature, seeing as some of us had to disable the authentication because we weren’t getting the emails, it would be nice to re-enable it to see if it works now.

We really should either have a self help to enable it OR have an option in our accounts to enable it. We shouldn’t have to contact support for this as with all the issues this game has we would just be adding to the workload.
-
Frankly, this should have been added the day the disable authentication was added.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Ruufio.1496

Ruufio.1496

I have this too

Posted by: Piteous.4165

Piteous.4165

yeah this is nuts I have to authenticate every time to get into the game again to log into my account on the website and even again to get into the forums. All this done one right after the other.

I have ticked the box to remember this network but it says there has been an error and then guess what I have to authenticate all over again….wtf?

Blackgate
Stay frosty! Keep it tight!

Posted by: Eradin.3817

Eradin.3817

I have tried several times to authenticate and continuously get the “failure” message… though 4 authentication messages have been sent to my e-mail. I guess htis is seriously bugged? Is it possibly to turn this off and play the game again?

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

I dont recall having disabled it but I discovered yesterday when I had my laptop with me and was working remotely that the email authentication is either disabled or isnt working properly.

I have to agree this should be toggleable.

Posted by: Sipso.9674

Sipso.9674

Well, i have a master account with @ncsoft at the end. In launcher it tries to send email to that account name. When i try to change it for my actual email it says i cant as it’s already being used. And it is, as it was used for linking beta account with my master account. I wrote to support but they were ineffective. You’ve made so many accounts and linking that im so confused.

Posted by: Black.9412

Black.9412

have you tried ticking the remember my ip/network box?

Completely missed the check box, my bad. Thanks for the reply.

To those above, make sure you check the box if you are having the same issue.

Posted by: Kiran.3740

Kiran.3740

I have excatly same problem with the difference that my username mail address is an old one that does not exists anymore (which is an old GW1 account linked to GW2) and I have my current mail address on my account place.. but the validation mail says it will send it to my old mail which troubles me. and Like Sipso when I try tell it to send it on my current mail it says that email address is already in use

edit I have sent a ticket about it and had a automated message that didnt have anything to do with my problem. then I updated the ticket with additional details and I got a reply a long time later telling do this and that but it was obvious the one who addressed my ticket didnt seem to read what was my problem

(edited by Kiran.3740)

Posted by: Rodarin.6058

Rodarin.6058

yeah, I am sure everyone has it. More than likely they went completely over board so that it is so annoying people will complain. Then when they change it and people get hacked or accounts compromised they can say they ‘did everything they could but people complained’.

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

I don’t get it. The bottom “Play” is not working. And I can’t verify my Authentication. Clicking button “Send”, but it sas: “Your email address in not valid”. And I honestly have no idea what to do.

Seize the day.

Posted by: Asarin.3058

Asarin.3058

First, I did not come here to complain but I have to inform you about my situation.

I was hacked for 2nd time. This time I am quite sure that it was my own fault. I am just found that my PC contain some keylogger. But, what should be my last defense should be that e-mail authentication, right? And it fail to do so.

The first time I login, yes, the system send me an e-mail authentication (I could say that I am quite happy to see that). But not so long, there is someone login to my account. Here is the problem. The system did not send e-mail authentication to my e-mail.

Lucky me, my friend was there and get my password back from that hacker. He said that he just want my gold, my ID has no meaning to him.

What is more interesting is he said that he buy my ID and password from some seller.

Well, I am still happy to play this game. Just losing 1 gold and 30 silver won’t kill me anyway.

PS. After some fight to maintain my password with that hacker, I uninstall my old anti-virus and install a new one. Also install the Spybots S&D. Found many keylogger (I always make sure every of my action on the internet but my parent use my PC too.) So…signnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I have to bear with it right?

Hacked Counter: 2 Times!
Just 1 gold and you want it? Bahhhh!!
Got banned for something I didn’t do?? Bahhhhh!!!

Posted by: Asarin.3058

Asarin.3058

Oh, I did contact with support team already. They were great help even though they can’t roll-back.

I thank you support team.

Hacked Counter: 2 Times!
Just 1 gold and you want it? Bahhhh!!
Got banned for something I didn’t do?? Bahhhhh!!!

Posted by: Snean.5186

Snean.5186

Join request

In arena.net have some problems with Russian e-mail servers. Therefore, messages are coming in 15-30 minutes after the client has requested a email from their server.
So while I disabled this option.

But in the future I would like to be able to turn it back on.

Posted by: Lyralei.5920

Lyralei.5920

Yes, how exactly do us players with old @ncsoft and @plaync accounts go about resolving this issue WITHOUT changing our e-mail address?

Posted by: Grenix.1576

Grenix.1576

Same problem here, My acount still is an old one from GW1 with @NCsoft.
I obviously have to change it to a mail where you can recieve the verifycation mail but i can’t change it to my mail adress because it’s already registered at NCsoft for GW1 and other games.
I want to register this game to my active mail adress but how it seems i have to create a new e-mail adress to continue playing the game?

Hope to hear some solution for this problem soon, as i cant play GW2 right now.

Greetz Grenix.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Now that it’s working again I realize how annoying it is, especially here in Europe where you get a new IP address at least daily. There are tons of well documented, secure, open two-factor authentication systems available and you chose the worst. Most people being hacked will have their mailbox compromised anyway, so it’s just annoying and not really secure.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: BigDracha.2134

BigDracha.2134

I’ve changed my password, I’ve checked and rechecked and rechecked the password/account name boxes and still I have to re-authenticate everytime I log onto the forums or the game. Getting obnoxious. For a bit there, I thought I was being attacked.

Posted by: Licantus.8495

Licantus.8495

I don’t get it. The bottom “Play” is not working. And I can’t verify my Authentication. Clicking button “Send”, but it sas: “Your email address in not valid”. And I honestly have no idea what to do.

I’ve got the same problem after the today update.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

As you may have read in Mike O’Brien’s article on account security, we will have other options for authentication that you may choose to use. This will be coming in the near future.

As a side note, I’m sort of surprised that the system would send to you for a dynamic IP situation, since the IP would still be in that same location. I had believed that an IP at 12.34.567.890 would be considered “the same” (geographically) as 12.34.567.9. So I rather believed that a player would not be asked to authenticate every time.

I’ll ask the team about this.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

If you’re having issues like this, please contact Support and they will help you. We certainly do not want you to be unable to authenticate, or to find that authentication is a problem.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Lyralei.5920

Lyralei.5920

Well “near future” seems like a rather vague time frame..unless of course support can validate for me?

I’m hoping we’ll get the option to have authentication e-mails forwarded to an e-mail of our choice. Some of us would like to retain our @ncsoft and @plaync logins for various reasons.

P.S: This only became an issue after the most recent patch. Prior to this, I did not need to validate my e-mail address.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

As a side note, I’m sort of surprised that the system would send to you for a dynamic IP situation, since the IP would still be in that same location. I had believed that an IP at 12.34.567.890 would be considered “the same” (geographically) as 12.34.567.9. So I rather believed that a player would not be asked to authenticate every time.

I can only speak for German users, but our biggest ISP (>10 million customers) allocates addresses from several completely different subnets on every reconnect.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: stpetemermaid.5947

stpetemermaid.5947

I can verify that when the updated authentication was put into place, it did ask me to verify through email sent, and this was due to dynamic IP addressing through my ISP. This happened for the first time Monday night, and it happened again today.

Posted by: rhoot.5927

rhoot.5927

I’ve been trying to log in for 40 minutes now, and get stuck at “Waiting for authentication” with no email in sight…. until now. Clicking the link in it however and then “Allow access” gives me:

Failure

An error occurred with your request.

Are you currently having issues with the email authentication due to today’s update?

Edit: I will assume you do. I just now got 5 more authentication emails at once, and the link in the last one worked.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I can only speak for German users, but our biggest ISP (>10 million customers) allocates addresses from several completely different subnets on every reconnect.

Thank you for that insight, Iruwen. I was not aware of that.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet