Authenticator Questions/Concerns [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Archenteron.7541

Archenteron.7541

i got hacked and i wasn t using a mobile authenticator…now have a mobile authenticator wich isn t mine linked to my account…can you unlink it?

Seafarer’ s Rest – From Dusk Till No Dawn [DUSK]
Wrexya – Elementalist 80
….And Another 13 LV 80 Characters…..

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

i got hacked and i wasn t using a mobile authenticator…now have a mobile authenticator wich isn t mine linked to my account…can you unlink it?

You will need to contact CS for assistance.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Account-Security-What-you-need-to-know/first#post3884132

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/How-to-Submit-a-Ticket-Account-Issues-2/first#post3954

Good luck.

Posted by: thesaw.5974

thesaw.5974

HI
last night my account was hacked i recover account and change my password but there is e big imposibol problem : that hacker authenticator here phone number to my account and i cant loggin in account when change ip most hacker accept authenticator !!! please remove my authenticator mobile number please

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

HI
last night my account was hacked i recover account and change my password but there is e big imposibol problem : that hacker authenticator here phone number to my account and i cant loggin in account when change ip most hacker accept authenticator !!! please remove my authenticator mobile number please

We can help with these situations, but you’ll need to click “Support” and the top of the page, and then “Submit a request” to start a ticket. With sufficient information that establishes you own the account, the team can resolve this issue for you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: tsuyosugiru.7634

tsuyosugiru.7634

I believe my account is secure but still have doubts in relation to a fishy ‘TX IP adress’ that I see logged on from time to time in the security tab on my gw2 account.

I have the mobile authenticator set up, and I still don’t get why I see this Texas log in logged on from time to time even though I block as soon as I see it, it keeps coming back.

By the way I live in europe, there is no way an IP adress would trace my log in and make such a huge mistake on the geographical location of my login attempt

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I believe my account is secure but still have doubts in relation to a fishy ‘TX IP adress’ that I see logged on from time to time in the security tab on my gw2 account.

I have the mobile authenticator set up, and I still don’t get why I see this Texas log in logged on from time to time even though I block as soon as I see it, it keeps coming back.

By the way I live in europe, there is no way an IP adress would trace my log in and make such a huge mistake on the geographical location of my login attempt

There is a minor glitch with the forum IP address showing up. Here is one thread about it; there are several more:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Attempted-login-from-TX-US/first#post4058607

Good luck.

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

My friend wants to remove the email authentication but he can’t do it. He wrote an email and the support answered that they can’t do that for him. Why is this the case? Let’s be honest, in most cases this authentication is just annoying and useless. In Europe most people have IP change every ~24h and they have to authenticate each time. Why are they not allowed to remove that annoying feature?

I personally feel very lucky that I managed to remove it before I needed to contact support or whoever for it. I never got in any danger of getting hacked.

Posted by: Lukasz.9476

Lukasz.9476

I agree with those supporting an option to turn off e-mail authentication.

Until I selected the option to “keep” my IP authenticated, I couldn’t even access account page.

Seems pretty ham-handed way of going about it. At least give us the ability to opt out, at own risk.

Posted by: Yuki Yomi San.5861

Yuki Yomi San.5861

I have a specific question regarding authentication. I contacted support about removing email authentication like the previous posters but now I’m getting the “unauthorized user” display message whenever I try to login. So the question is how exactly do I prove that I am the legitimate owner of an account in order to solve this issue created by support?

“With sufficient information that establishes you own the account, the team can resolve this issue for you.” -Gaile

It’s just assumed that if an account is compromised, so is the email; even though I use lastpass to store unique strong passwords for every account the email is still presumed compromised by support so the serial number is also presumed to no longer be secret. I know my real name and b-day, but that isn’t necessarily the information I entered into the form when I created the account since I’m concerned about privacy.

Is my secondary account just lost then? But why isn’t my primary account also blocked when the IP access logs show both accounts are being accessed by the same person and the authentication methods for the two accounts are identical?

Posted by: sillypants.5021

sillypants.5021

Could this thread, https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Authorized-Networks-Removal/first#post1075784, be updated? When searching for “gw2 remove authorized networks” It’s still the top google hit, followed by several other threads that only state the need to contact support for authorized network removal. Due to me not seeing any updates in any of these threads, I was unaware of the ability to remove authorized networks and forcefully disconnect a hacker, which would have come in handy yesterday for a friend whose account was compromised. Instead we just watched helplessly as the hacker stripped her account and sold everything. =(

I don’t know when you implemented this functionality, but it’s excellent. Thank you.

Posted by: ShepherdMaster.2809

ShepherdMaster.2809

I Reinstalled my mobile phone, now i can’t log in to my account.

Somehow i can add manually? Or re Request the Barcode?

(btw; also cant deactivate the authenticator, cause it was on my old system.)
I hope some one can help me, thanks-

Humans weren’t designed to bring each other happiness.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I Reinstalled my mobile phone, now i can’t log in to my account.

Somehow i can add manually? Or re Request the Barcode?

(btw; also cant deactivate the authenticator, cause it was on my old system.)
I hope some one can help me, thanks-

You can contact CS for assistance. Top of Page – Support- Submit a Request.

Good luck.

Posted by: ashleyeve.6573

ashleyeve.6573

Hi, my partner recently tried to log into the game and the website and there’s no email sent to him. The gw2 web gave him a “unknown authorization” message while the game client just kept spinning.

help?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hi, my partner recently tried to log into the game and the website and there’s no email sent to him. The gw2 web gave him a “unknown authorization” message while the game client just kept spinning.

help?

Has he submitted a ticket? The Support Team would be happy to look into this for him.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: SunLight.1564

SunLight.1564

I accidentally uninstalled google authenticator and when I installed it back i had to relink everything (even my google account) but i cant because i need 2 codes to link another phone

Posted by: GringoWarrior.2981

GringoWarrior.2981

okay so my friend has requested assistance with his authenticator and has yet to receive assistance. he would post in here himself…but he cant log in due to this problem. hes requested help 3 times in the past week.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

okay so my friend has requested assistance with his authenticator and has yet to receive assistance. he would post in here himself…but he cant log in due to this problem. hes requested help 3 times in the past week.

Duplicate tickets will slow down the process. If your friend has not received the automated ‘Thank you for your request’ email, he can read the Sticky about ‘Not Getting our Emails’, and possibly follow some of the suggestions therein.

If he has received the auto responses, he just has to wait for his ticket number to come up in the queue.

Good luck.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I accidentally uninstalled google authenticator and when I installed it back i had to relink everything (even my google account) but i cant because i need 2 codes to link another phone

You can contact CS for assistance. Top of Page – Support – Submit a Request.

Good luck.

Posted by: chiana de sanitas.4301

chiana de sanitas.4301

autentificator for windows phone,the page say ,This app is no longer published,where I get the application so?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

autentificator for windows phone,the page say ,This app is no longer published,where I get the application so?

How do I get the Guild Wars 2 Authenticator?

Visit the app store for your mobile platform of choice, and locate the “Google Authenticator” app. This app is provided free of charge. The two-factor authentication scheme used for Guild Wars 2 is fully compatible with this app.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/27626157-Mobile-Authentication

Posted by: halcyonzephyr.5628

halcyonzephyr.5628

So I just set up the mobile authenticator yesterday and when I logged into guild wars 2 or onto the gw2 site, I was not prompted for that verification code like I should have been. It was like nothing had changed after setting up the authenticator. After logging into my account on the site, I could see that the authenticator was linked with my account.

I contacted support about the issue today and they just misunderstood me or something, as they just un-linked the authenticator. >.> I just re-did it and am having the same issue!

Help would be appreciated. I feel like maybe I am doing something wrong, or got caught in some weird little bug. I know how google authenticator works, as I have it set up and working for my Wildstar account (and it is working with no issues)! I just would like to have this extra layer of security for my account since there are a lot of people in my guild getting hacked at the moment. :o

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So I just set up the mobile authenticator yesterday and when I logged into guild wars 2 or onto the gw2 site, I was not prompted for that verification code like I should have been. It was like nothing had changed after setting up the authenticator. After logging into my account on the site, I could see that the authenticator was linked with my account.

I contacted support about the issue today and they just misunderstood me or something, as they just un-linked the authenticator. >.> I just re-did it and am having the same issue!

Help would be appreciated. I feel like maybe I am doing something wrong, or got caught in some weird little bug. I know how google authenticator works, as I have it set up and working for my Wildstar account (and it is working with no issues)! I just would like to have this extra layer of security for my account since there are a lot of people in my guild getting hacked at the moment. :o

If you were previously using the email authentication or otherwise saved your authenticated IP addresses the Mobile Authenticator will not prompt you to enter a code.

If you wish to enter a code each time, navigate to My Account – Security and remove all saved IP addresses. The Mobile Authenticator will then prompt you for the code. If you want to bypass entering the code each time, ‘remember’ your usual log-in IP address.

Good luck.

Posted by: Sethren.8472

Sethren.8472

@Inculpatus cedo: Thanks for the information you gave to halcyonzephyr. That actually answered my question as well. I was about to post that I was having a problem with the authenticator request not happening (like nothing had changed), but your post answered my question. My IP was saved from when it email authenticated prior to me switching over to mobile authentication.

+10

Chimeras Family – Korvaseth (Mes), Sethren (Necro)
Sea of Sorrows

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Glad to have been of some help! =)

Posted by: Faelyn Azhrei.1493

Faelyn Azhrei.1493

I’m trying to update my security information and I’ve run into a snag.

I use the Google Authenticator app and I purchased a new phone a few months ago; I forgot to disconnect the old app from my account and can no longer do so as the old app, on the old phone, is required to disconnect the app from the account. I’m not sure what to do as this could be problematic if I get a new computer in the future.

Many thanks.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m trying to update my security information and I’ve run into a snag.

I use the Google Authenticator app and I purchased a new phone a few months ago; I forgot to disconnect the old app from my account and can no longer do so as the old app, on the old phone, is required to disconnect the app from the account. I’m not sure what to do as this could be problematic if I get a new computer in the future.

Many thanks.

You can contact CS for assistance with removing the Mobile Authentication from your Account. (You can then re-instate it with your new phone). Top of Page – Services/Support – Submit a Request.

Good luck.

Posted by: Faelyn Azhrei.1493

Faelyn Azhrei.1493

You can contact CS for assistance with removing the Mobile Authentication from your Account. (You can then re-instate it with your new phone). Top of Page – Services/Support – Submit a Request.

Good luck.

Many Thanks.

Posted by: Macatlas.1592

Macatlas.1592

I couldn’t find a suggestion box for the authenticator, so please direct me to the right location if this isn’t the place.

As it stands, the Guild Wars 2 client reads your IP at each log-in and verifies it against the remembered IPs on the ArenaNet servers (at least, this is how it appears to function). If you have an unmatching IP, the client forces you to verify the log-in session via Email or Google Authenticator. This would be fine if each subscriber had a static IP; however, this is simply not the case. Any subscriber with a dynamic IP will have to re-verify the log-in session several times a day, several times a week, or several times in a monthly period.

My ISP provides DSL with a dynamic IP; every time my modem goes online, it connects to the DSLAM (essentially a pool of IPs ready to use for internet) and retrieves a random IP. The modem connects with this IP address and provides an internet connection. My ISP takes my IP, puts it back in the DSLAM, and sends me another IP several times per day. This means that at any given time throughout the day, I will have to re-verify my log-in session with Guild Wars 2. I appreciate the extra layer of security, but I would much rather have a verification take place once per week and I would also like to see an IP history feature integrated into our accounts. That way, log-in authentication is still required, and we have access to every IP – and therefore every computer or network – that has ever logged into our account.

Granted, most ISPs only rotate their IPs a few times per month, but not every ISP operates like this. As it currently operates, the log-in verification feature is more of a hassle than is necessary.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The authentication process eventually learns the range of dynamic IP addresses, negating the need to authenticate each time. I’m sure we all would rather a bit of hassle to keep our accounts safe from those with nefarious intentions. =)

Posted by: HolyPgan.1206

HolyPgan.1206

Hi, My friend have a problem logging in
His problem involved moblie authentication and invalid logging in

He bought GW2 game box and he will be happy to confirm his identity to you by telling anything you want to confirm that he is the owner of the account

please contact him.

Edit: Personal user information removed by moderator.

(edited by Moderator)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Please remove your friend’s personal information as that is just giving hackers half of his log-in information.

Your friend would do well to contact CS and ask to change the email account associated with his Game Account now. Also, the CS Team can assist him with his Mobile Authentication issues. Top of Page – Support – Submit a Request.

Good luck.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Tried both barcode scanning and manual input,but every time the 6 digit code
of the authenticator is invalid,and just refreshes the “step 2 -link your account page”.
If you wanna see how a real mmo authenticator works check WoW or SWTOR.Both
of these games have specific apps offered for free to their customers that don’t take more than a minute to set up and are reliable,easily manageable and removable.
This google app is a mess.
Take the time to develop a proper GW2 authenticator.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: doodlekitt.5296

doodlekitt.5296

My friend, “prof. hamilton”, is trying to log in from an ip address which isn’t new, but when he used it again, it recognized it as a new, unrecognized ip address. Also, when he tries to verify it via email, he does not receive the email. Not in the spam folder, or any other folder, and not after minutes or hours. He’s using yahoo mail, if that makes any difference. Help?

Posted by: Erin.1948

Erin.1948

I’m just now getting back into the game and I can’t even install it because it asks my email and password which I put in but I do not however get an email authentication to allow permanently my IP address. So now that I have my account all ready to play, I can’t play because I’m not getting the email and if I do get the email it timed out already with an error message. I don’t mind a little security but when trying to install the game client first and you can’t because it wants you “authenticate”. There HAS to be a way to override the email authentication temporarily. I’d send a ticket but there isn’t a way for me to submit one. The emails are not in my spam folder either and my firewall is turned off. Anyone can help me at all? Or be put in the right direction.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m just now getting back into the game and I can’t even install it because it asks my email and password which I put in but I do not however get an email authentication to allow permanently my IP address. So now that I have my account all ready to play, I can’t play because I’m not getting the email and if I do get the email it timed out already with an error message. I don’t mind a little security but when trying to install the game client first and you can’t because it wants you “authenticate”. There HAS to be a way to override the email authentication temporarily. I’d send a ticket but there isn’t a way for me to submit one. The emails are not in my spam folder either and my firewall is turned off. Anyone can help me at all? Or be put in the right direction.

You can submit a request to CS by using the link at: Top of Page – Support – Submit a Request.

Good luck.

Posted by: sierrahaley.1968

sierrahaley.1968

After returning from a short four-month hiatus from Guild Wars 2, I re-downloaded the game and attempted to log back on my account only to find that the password had been changed in my absence. After searching for and finally finding my game’s serial/key code, I managed to change the password, but was rebuked again when I discovered an authenticator had been put on my account, one I did not place. Long story short, my account was hacked and I would deeply appreciate the authenticator being removed and the account returned to me as I left it, the ticket number with more details is #903255, I’m currently posting from my wife’s account and have already been waiting 4 days, though the aforementioned ticket is a revision of another and is technically only 1 day old, please help, thank you!

Posted by: Aku Punksha.1542

Aku Punksha.1542

I have more than one account. All accounts had or have email authentication. On one account this has stopped. How do I go about turning it back on. A ran a test last night and powered down my modem. This one account let me start straight back up with no authentification email and yet on my other accounts this triggered off the emails.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If it does not let you set up Email Authentication in Account Management, then you would need to contact the CS Team for assistance.

Good luck.

Posted by: eduedp.8095

eduedp.8095

My girlfriend activated mobile authenticator to prevent some hacking issues she had in the past and she was never asked the authenticator code while trying to access her account over the past 4 months.

Monday, one day after she sold her phone, Guild Wars miraculously is asking the code. Now, she can’t play because doesn’t have the cellphone anymore, GW support doesn’t reply her ticket and she can’t even post on this forum.

The ticket was opened more than 72h ago. Where is the support? I don’t recommend this system to anyone. It didn’t prevent hackers to rob her, and now is preventing her to play.

What a sad support. I hope one day Anet realizes it. While in rival companies you get replied instantly, here we don’t even have a phone number to call.

Posted by: kisdusi.9572

kisdusi.9572

Hi

My girlfriend got a problem with logging in.
She need the authentication email, but she does not get it to her email address. We also tried the password reset and we neither got that email. We tried to submit several tickets, also tried to get the response to my email address but we did not get it from arenanet.
So i hope you guys can help me, or maybe arenanet will read this and come up with something.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hi

My girlfriend got a problem with logging in.
She need the authentication email, but she does not get it to her email address. We also tried the password reset and we neither got that email. We tried to submit several tickets, also tried to get the response to my email address but we did not get it from arenanet.
So i hope you guys can help me, or maybe arenanet will read this and come up with something.

This Sticky may be helpful: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Not-Getting-Our-E-mails-Hotmail-Yahoo-Gmail-Comcast/first#post3785262

Good luck.

kisdusi.9572

Inculpatus Cedo: Ty but we tried everything what the website suggests

The main problem is that arenanet not even willing to asnwer to our several emails and tickets

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus Cedo: Ty but we tried everything what the website suggests

The main problem is that arenanet not even willing to asnwer to our several emails and tickets

If you are not receiving the emails they are sending, you can’t really say they aren’t willing to answer you.

You can always post your ticket number in the appropriate Sticky.

Try creating another unique email address from a different provider and contacting the CS Team through that.

Good luck.

kisdusi.9572

Inculpatus cedo.9234 :

We tried it from different email addresses and different providers and still no answers, so i don’t know how to get touch in them because they don’t read my emails, or forums as i see

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, remember, each time you send in a duplicate ticket addressing the same issue, you go back to the end of the queue. It’s best to close out all tickets except for the original.

Also, you can post your original ticket number in the Sticky, ‘Tickets for Review, 3 Days and Older’, and Michael will respond.

Good luck.

kisdusi.9572

Still no response, not even on forums,emails, nothing

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Still no response, not even on forums,emails, nothing

There is a response for you in the Sticky. =)

Posted by: Rachel.2314

Rachel.2314

Hello, my husband, Luvimor.7158 is having a mobile authenticator issue. He put in a ticket to remove the authenticator from his account on October 24, and he has received the automatic email verifying that his ticket was received. (His old phone, which he no longer has, was the phone linked to the authenticator.) He has had no other emails regarding the ticket and just wants to know what the status of his ticket is and how long is it going to take until resolved. This is the ticket number 977966. If I need to post this elsewhere please let me know. Thank you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hello, my husband, Luvimor.7158 is having a mobile authenticator issue. He put in a ticket to remove the authenticator from his account on October 24, and he has received the automatic email verifying that his ticket was received. (His old phone, which he no longer has, was the phone linked to the authenticator.) He has had no other emails regarding the ticket and just wants to know what the status of his ticket is and how long is it going to take until resolved. This is the ticket number 977966. If I need to post this elsewhere please let me know. Thank you.

You can post his ticket number in the Sticky, ‘Tickets for Review’.

Good luck.

Posted by: yanneilucia.5073

yanneilucia.5073

Like most people posting here, I too have an issue with removing the authenticator, however unlike most of you I actually still have the phone and the app. Unfortunately even with everything at my disposal the system is still declining to remove the authenticator. It asks for two generated codes, one old and one new, however when I generate the new code the old one gets outdated and I get an error in the account page saying wrong code. How exactly is this supposed to work? The system was designed to only have one active code yet it asks for outdated codes which it tries to verify and obviously fails because there is a new active code now. What am I missing?