Availability of the 32-bit Mac Beta Client

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

In preparation for Path of Fire’s release the 32-bit Mac Beta client will no longer be available for download. Existing installs will continue to function for the time being as we prepare to transition everyone to the 64-bit client. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I ask that you please do not do this yet. The new 64bit client would be wonderful . . . If it were stable. However it crashes so frequently that it currently makes playing any high level content (fractals, raids, dragon stand, etc.) impossible. Please hold off on limiting access to download the (stable) 32 bit client until the new client is at least at a comparable level of stability.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: DrMORO.4627

DrMORO.4627

I ask that you please do not do this yet. The new 64bit client would be wonderful . . . If it were stable. However it crashes so frequently that it currently makes playing any high level content (fractals, raids, dragon stand, etc.) impossible. Please hold off on limiting access to download the (stable) 32 bit client until the new client is at least at a comparable level of stability.

+1 and a zillion

PLEASE DO NOT destabilize the Mac GW2 playability!
Make 64-bit native ‘par’ to the Win version first, then retire the 32-bit Mac ‘wrapper’ app later. Not now.

Posted by: Hidetaro.2390

Hidetaro.2390

I love the game as well as the idea of a native client for Mac OS. After 4 weeks of trying it out i changed back to the 32 bit because of much worse performance (sad), more crashes (problematic in large metas and wvw) and constant graphic glitches that prevent my armor and parts of the map being displayed properly (unacceptable).
Please continue supporting the 32 bit until at least the stability and performance is on par and the graphic glitches are resolved.
I am super hyped for PoF and bought the ultimate edition but I wont play if I have to use the 64 bit client at its current problems.

This comment is written out of love for this game, not to share my frustration.

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

Keep in mind that the 32-bit client will not work for Path of Fire. Due to the increased system requirements once the expansion is released the game will only function with the 64-bit client, so eventually you will have to move over anyway.

I’m sure ArenaNet are working on fixing the issues with the Mac client – be patient.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Please make sure the 64 bit client is stable by then, on behalf of all Mac players who purchased PoF before this announcement was made.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Prins Lionheart.3182

Prins Lionheart.3182

Please explain “for the time being”. Are we talking weeks, months? It is a disgrace.
Apple (Macos) will support 32 bit applications in the next release of High Sierra.
Has been announced. There is no technical need to enforce all MacOs users into 64 bit.
Despite of all the compliments made by “polite” users, the current 64 bit mac implementation does not deserve any compliments at all. Despite all the effort and hard work; it is mediocre at best. Hardly tested, not stable, keyboard issues. If Path Of Fire requires 64 bit, tough luck. I will not buy it for the time being. May Balthazar ….

Posted by: sigg.1735

sigg.1735

I echo the sentiments above. The 64 bit client is not stable. In addition, I continue to have graphic issues: https://j.gifs.com/66nEXL.gif I also do not have the same screen resolution options between the 32 and 64 bit clients.

Posted by: Abbelsap.3042

Abbelsap.3042

The game is literally unplayable when the UI takes half of your screen, so please fix this first before making the 32bit client unavailable.

If I’d known this before preordering the next expansion, i had never preordered. Same with the gemstore items…

I’d like a full refund if you’re taking this route.

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

The game is literally unplayable when the UI takes half of your screen, so please fix this first before making the 32bit client unavailable.

If I’d known this before preordering the next expansion, i had never preordered. Same with the gemstore items…

Hmm, what scaling settings to you have in OSX System Preferences —> Display ?

Posted by: Abbelsap.3042

Abbelsap.3042

Hmm, what scaling settings to you have in OSX System Preferences —> Display ?

It says: 13,3-inch (2560 × 1600) retina

Posted by: Appleboy.7198

Appleboy.7198

Since the 64 bit Mac client release my game’s performance is horrible:
-Map loading is a loooooot slower….
-At every second map loading screen my game stops working and I have to restart everything
-Sounds are sliding
-Texture bugs, sometimes I can’t see the character’s body parts.
-Keyboard stops working, and once again I have to restart the client.

Posted by: Gamestale.3562

Gamestale.3562

I don’t see why this is done ? The new client runs terrible, I have 30-40 fps on old client and barely make 20 on the new, with lowest graphic settings
Changed back to the old client after one week, the game is absolutely unplayable with the 64 bit
Made a post about this on the original 64bit Post
Please resolve this before taking away the working client