Ban for saying the F word once in map chat?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Zero Requiem.5908

Zero Requiem.5908

seriously? Are you kidding me? What is the Mature word filter for then?\

this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of

it was not even in a conversation with anyone. I did not even say f- you or anything else like that.

the entire message I sent was just the one word………….

(edited by Zero Requiem.5908)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

What is the Mature word filter for then?

So the game could get a T rating. Rules of Conduct says no swearing. The 3 day ban is the 1st warning.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Eivene.9127

Eivene.9127

Generally they don’t suspend people for “slips of the tongue”. Consider that perhaps you were suspended for something you said a while back, but the agent hadn’t reviewed it until now. You can open up a ticket with support if you feel you were suspended in error, but otherwise you’ll just have to sit it out.

The filter is not a license to swear. The Terms of Service still apply and ArenaNet take them seriously. The filter is just there to protect people in case someone does decide to cross the line.

Perfectionists’ Cult [NICE] - Family Friendly PvE/WvW community
Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Eivene.9127)

Zero Requiem.5908

actually by having the filter auto set to on off the start banning people because some kid heard a swear word is like kicking someone out of a restaurant for smoking in the smoking section because a kid snuck over there and then complained about the smoking

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Unfortunately this game doesn’t have a “Cursing Section” so using curse words will get you suspended or banned if you get reported. Best advice is to not do it.

Eivene.9127

The difference is that the restaurant actually allows smoking in a particular area of the building. Swearing, in GW2, is not allowed under any circumstances. There isn’t a section in GW2 where it’s ok to swear because there’s a filter. Bad language is always against the Terms of Service, and you agreed to them before you started playing the game.

But since not everyone follows the rules, there’s a filter as a last resort. If someone breaks the rules, people can choose not to be confronted with it.

Sanctum of Rall

Zero Requiem.5908

btw the filter is auto enabled. you have to DECIDE to disable it, which is just like having a section where it is ok to curse. if you DECIDE to turn the filter off then you are agreeing to see mature language. its as simple as that.

to put it in mature language terms. it is like a kid using a fake id (turning off the filter) to get into and adults only concert and then suing (banning) the band for swearing and foul language

if they don’t want swearing then they should just autochange those words to other words as people are typing (or symbols like *). it is ridiculous to ALLOW those words to be typed and then ban people for typing them, when it is EXTREAMLY simple to control it

(edited by Zero Requiem.5908)

Eivene.9127

It’s also extremely simple to just not type them =)

People keep their filters off for a variety of reasons. It doesn’t change the rules that ArenaNet have set up and the consequences for breaking them. You can read about them here.

I get the frustration, and I don’t mean to keep arguing :P But for future purposes it’ll help you (and anyone reading this) to know that they take such things seriously.

Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Eivene.9127)

Posted by: nasi.4785

nasi.4785

Had to turn that filter off, because I had some trouble with native words in my language. That filter does not give you the right to break the rules you agreed on. There is no rule for not using the filter, but there is a rule that swearing is not allowed

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Anyone who has been around this forum for any amount of time knows that we have detailed game records, and we’re not going to accept bogus claims like, “I only said something one time!”

I found a single chat string with three uses of the F-word. I can get more strings, but come on, let’s look at this clearly (and truthfully): You swore, extensively.

The Rules of Conduct makes our expectations clear, the User Agreement also outlines them, and both are accepted by players. The fact we have a filter that players may or may not elect to use does not furnish any player with “A license to swear.” Please feel free to search for more information about this, but those blocked for offensive language generally do serve the full three-day suspension. As will you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)