SamanthaRS.6395

Okay,

So i have a new pc: Stats right here:

Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Processor: AMD a10-5800K APU With Radeon™ HD Graphics 3.80 Ghz
4.00 GB (3.20 GB usable)
64-Bit OS

I recently bought gw 2 – I went through, accepted the terms, and picked my server. But then when it gets to the character creation, it flickered the image of the screen for like 3 seconds then went to black screen, however i can still hear music, and i see the cursor. How can i fix this?

Black Screen at Character Login

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

same sort of thing is happening to me in game, i play for a bit then suddenly black screen and i can still hear the music, played for over a year fine with the same pc so i don’t think its the problem, but it only started to happen after the last patch

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

Posted by: Aurokr.5042

Aurokr.5042

Here is the Fix

At the Character Creation Screen, you have to choose World Selection and pick a random server to Guest to for 24 hours. I assume it refreshes your account and will now allow you to create a new character. I was having this problem earlier today with my computer and my fiancee’s. Worked for both of us.

Posted by: HenawyMT.4951

HenawyMT.4951

i “almost” have the same issue , however, i receive an error message that even comes up when i try the “repair trick”

i contacted the support and waiting for a reply.

Posted by: ShatteredDreams.3741

ShatteredDreams.3741

I’ve just purchased a second account, and am also experiencing this exact same problem.

I have yet to find a fix to the problem, but here are the things i do know:

- This appears to be a problem related to the second, brand new account, as my other accounts are working perfectly fine. This also means that it is definitely not a hardware issue.

- I have tried logging in from multiple locations, each with the same result. It is not a client side Network issue

-I have fixed my nvidia settings for the game to default – my first account still works, so there is no reason, graphics-wise, for the second to not work.

- This happened only after I logged in successfully to a new account, and selected a home world. This further pushes the idea that it is a network issue.

My guess is that it must be an issue with server side network, which may explain why it is an account specific problem. I have eliminated any chance of the problem being client side network related and any hardware and software issues.

I hope this will assist someone in finding a solution somehow. As long as its my alt account though, I can still sleep easy.

(edited by ShatteredDreams.3741)

Posted by: Isaac.7534

Isaac.7534

I’ve just purchased a second account, and am also experiencing this exact same problem.

- This appears to be a problem related to the second, brand new account, as my other accounts are working perfectly fine. This also means that it is definitely not a hardware issue.

- I have tried logging in from multiple locations, each with the same result. It is not a client side Network issue

-I have fixed my nvidia settings for the game to default – my first account still works, so there is no reason, graphics-wise, for the second to not work.

- This happened only after I logged in successfully to a new account, and selected a home world. This further pushes the idea that it is a network issue.

My guess is that it must be an issue with server side network, which may explain why it is an account specific problem. I have eliminated any chance of the problem being client side network related and any hardware and software issues.

I hope this will assist someone in finding a solution somehow. As long as its my alt account though, I can still sleep easy.

I’m a friend of ShatteredDreams, he allowed me to test the login on my machine, same result. Please refer to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6pgNFVuMrc&feature=youtu.be for exactly what it looks like

Is X – Tix X – Bro Cauli – Brocolypse: CD [CS]
Fix X – Curly Cutie – Ne kx: Mag [Mlg]
youtube.com/user/isxrecord

Posted by: HenawyMT.4951

HenawyMT.4951

I’m a friend of ShatteredDreams, he allowed me to test the login on my machine, same result. Please refer to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6pgNFVuMrc&feature=youtu.be for exactly what it looks like

i have a messed up log in screen too, but most of the time its not completely black however its messed up and causes the game to crash.

i can back shattereddreams conclusion up as my account is completely new , i just bought the game 2 days ago and its crashing since then.

i don’t think this is because of a hardware problem , and re-downloading a fresh copy didn’t fix any thing.

Posted by: Dizzle.5289

Dizzle.5289

Same thing here kinda. bought game for fiance she created a character on diff server so I told her to erase character and move to mine she does and transfers now the screen is black can see cursor and hear music tho. Gonna try to remove the local.dat file and repair see if that works if it doesn’t I don’t know what else to do.

Posted by: Meric.2570

Meric.2570

My brother is having the same issue on his Mac….evga 680 mac edition card. Just bought the game and installed it yesterday. He gets a black screen when logs in but can here music.

Posted by: Nerdz.8105

Nerdz.8105

Still having this problem, started yesterday. Would love to play a new character but looks like that’s not happening until this is fixed.

When i hit “Create Character” i get a black screen, movable cursor and music. Music gets choppy after a few minutes then loops back ok—- goes back, on and on

Posted by: LivnTheDreem.2057

LivnTheDreem.2057

My account shows the character screen for a brief second then goes black. However if I log in with my brothers account I have no issues.

I just purchased the game yesterday. I believe this proves my issue is on Anet side as I have no issue when logging in with a different account.

Posted by: Isaac.7534

Isaac.7534

I also tried deleting Local.dat, I’ve tried every other command line, I’ve tried different screen resolutions, I’ve tried various compatability settings, all to no avail. The game ONLY fails with the new account, as my two accounts show no signs of this black screen.

I have a suspicion that it could be related to either not having a world selected, or having a world selected and no characters, or even for no apparent reason, having friends on your followers list before first playing the game (which is something most new accounts don’t have)

Is X – Tix X – Bro Cauli – Brocolypse: CD [CS]
Fix X – Curly Cutie – Ne kx: Mag [Mlg]
youtube.com/user/isxrecord

Posted by: GM Talon.8726

GM Talon.8726

Lead Game Master

Next

We’re aware of this issue and our Quality Assurance team is investigating at the moment. I’ll update here again when I have new information to share. Apologies for the inconvenience, everyone!

Posted by: GM Talon.8726

Previous

GM Talon.8726

Lead Game Master

This should be resolved now. If you are still encountering this issue, please reply to this thread.

Posted by: Isaac.9215

Isaac.9215

This should be resolved now. If you are still encountering this issue, please reply to this thread.

What ever you did, it worked. Thanks!!

Fix X, Curly Cutie
NSP Cutting Edge [EDGE]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWK6BakGg48r4gyMsbfDYXQ

Posted by: jnnfruvalle.7825

jnnfruvalle.7825

I’m having the same issue on the 2nd account I purchased for my wife. works perfect on my identical machine. please help! I’ve been at it since 6 am.

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

I’m still having this issue (on OS X, if that matters).

Posted by: Dick Murdoch.3429

Dick Murdoch.3429

Copy/pasting response from another thread:

Similar issue. Load the launcher, hit play, loads a black screen that flickers for 2 seconds, hear the music/see the cursor then boom, “A serious error has occurred.”
I’ve tried:
-reinstalling x2
-repairing x 5+
-changing the location of the files
-updating/restoring/reverting video card drivers
-system restoring (knew it wasn’t going to work but kitten it.)
side note: I got an item restored through customer service, right after, couldn’t log in.

80 Human Mesmer – Blackgate.

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

I am still not able to make a new character. I can login to and play any of my existing characters. When I select Create, the screen goes black and I have to force quit the game. This started a couple of days ago and continues after the Lunar’s Day patch. Computer is Windows 7 Ultimate with all patches, nVidia 650M GT graphics card, 16 GB RAM.

Help!

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

Copy/pasting response from another thread:

Similar issue. Load the launcher, hit play, loads a black screen that flickers for 2 seconds, hear the music/see the cursor then boom, “A serious error has occurred.”
I’ve tried:
-reinstalling x2
-repairing x 5+
-changing the location of the files
-updating/restoring/reverting video card drivers
-system restoring (knew it wasn’t going to work but kitten it.)
side note: I got an item restored through customer service, right after, couldn’t log in.

Oh, you’re getting further than I can… On my computer, it’s a black screen as soon as the app launches. I was able to blindly click the “login” button once, but when I tried again, I got an email with a link to reset my password or something, so I guess I clicked on the wrong thing.

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

I am still not able to make a new character. I can login to and play any of my existing characters. When I select Create, the screen goes black and I have to force quit the game. This started a couple of days ago and continues after the Lunar’s Day patch. Computer is Windows 7 Ultimate with all patches, nVidia 650M GT graphics card, 16 GB RAM.

Help!

I deleted the local.dat file thing and now I am able to make a new character. Thank you to the other person who posted that tip!