Black Screen problem

Black Screen problem

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Oathkeeper.1453

Oathkeeper.1453

This is really frustrating, i just started GW2 for the first time i bought the game like 2 days ago, but i can’t play it.. i keep getting a black screen after a few minutes of gameplay and it happens randomly… not sure how to explain it, the screen goes black and i can see and move the Mouse cursor and hear the background game music but the screen stays black and the only option is to close the game with Task manager and relog.

i play games(online and single-player)that are much more demanding than GW2
and this issue never happened to me before in any game.

please help :c

Black Screen problem

Posted by: Bloozeclooze.5948

Bloozeclooze.5948

I too have begun to have this problem, just started with this patch and happens very randomly without anything being an apparent cause. The screen goes black, mouse cursor is still there and game running smoothly but screen is flat black. I am told i disconnect from the game when this happens but my internet connection is undisturbed. Game does not crash or freeze when this happens the screen just turns black.

Black Screen problem

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I too have begun to have this problem, just started with this patch and happens very randomly without anything being an apparent cause. The screen goes black, mouse cursor is still there and game running smoothly but screen is flat black. I am told i disconnect from the game when this happens but my internet connection is undisturbed. Game does not crash or freeze when this happens the screen just turns black.

It’s not clear to me from your description: does the screen go black, and a dialog pops up telling you that you were disconnected from the game, at the same time?

Black Screen problem

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Hi – experiencing the same. To clarify, it’s a complete loss of the video feed. Reboot required to revert back to normal, can’t alt-tab out to task manager.

Not sure if the others are running in windowed or full-screen, but I run full-screen windowed

Can’t comment on the connectivity.

Running 980s in SLI.

Black Screen problem

SlippyCheeze.5483

Hi – experiencing the same. To clarify, it’s a complete loss of the video feed. Reboot required to revert back to normal, can’t alt-tab out to task manager.

Not sure if the others are running in windowed or full-screen, but I run full-screen windowed

Can’t comment on the connectivity.

Running 980s in SLI.

It’s just a wild-kitten guess, but … does it happen if you turn off SLI for GW2 — or whatever it is that lets you force only a single GPU to be used?

Black Screen problem

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

It’s just a wild-kitten guess, but … does it happen if you turn off SLI for GW2 — or whatever it is that lets you force only a single GPU to be used?

Good call… disabled SLI for GW2, and no black out on start up… see if it holds up.

Will try to re-enable (not that it really does a kitten thing) after the next patch or two.

Thanks!

Black Screen problem

SlippyCheeze.5483

Good call… disabled SLI for GW2, and no black out on start up… see if it holds up.

Will try to re-enable (not that it really does a kitten thing) after the next patch or two.

Thanks!

Yeah, given the GPU load of the game, it’s probably not necessary, so it may be easier just to leave it turned off while GW2 is running. That said, it’s actually a bug, so it might get fixed.

Black Screen problem

Posted by: Bloozeclooze.5948

Bloozeclooze.5948

It’s not clear to me from your description: does the screen go black, and a dialog pops up telling you that you were disconnected from the game, at the same time?

Sorry, to clarify i am told by a friend still in game that i go offline when it happens. On my screen the game is still running perfectly fine but all i can see is a black screen and the mouse cursor. I can alt-tab and kill the game to restart it but thats about it. It is unpredictable and no in-game behaviour seems to be the cause as ive had it happen to me while: running, attacking, standing still, being afk, waypointing, being in combat, in addition to being in every single gamemode (pvp, wvw, raids) as well as fractals. I get zero error messages when it happens and my network connection does not even hiccup either.

Black Screen problem

SlippyCheeze.5483

If you zap offline, from the in-game perspective, it sounds most likely that your issue is network related. https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network is a good guide to tracking down where that issue is coming from.

It’s also possible that the game is crashing hard and that’s taking you offline, but it’s pretty easy to rule out the easy network side if things first. I’d also check for hardware problems; grab GPU-Z and make sure the card is at PCIe 16x, for starters.

It’s worth noting that while your general network connection may not fail, it’s possible something between you and the GW2 server does, and so it triggers only for that specific game, nothing else…