Black Screen with 64 Bit Client

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Virtutis.8614

Virtutis.8614

Afternoon, folks.

This is an issue I had a while ago and just didn’t bother fiddling with. As I recall, the 64 bit client worked perfectly fine for me off the bat, but about a day later, after no change, it suddenly loads into a black screen with the cursor and sound, nothing else. I’ve deleted it, re-installed it and tinkered with it numerous times to no avail, and while the 32 bit client has still been working alright, I thought I’d get this sorted out sooner rather than later just in case. I’d search for a solution to this, but I guess the search option here sucks since literally nothing ever shows up no matter how general or specific the inquiry words are.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Well, I have been struggling with it for months now: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Constant-black-screens-and-disconnects/

And ah, the search on forums has been broken for years now and they haven’t had the resources to fix it. :/

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Have you tried reinstalling the video drivers? I have had the black screen issue before, and reinstalling the drivers did help me. Since it costs nothing to reinstall the video card drivers, you could give it ago.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Sephiroth.2503

Sephiroth.2503

i have the same problem. i have msi gtx970 OC. the game work fine with 32bit client. with 64bit, i see black screen with hand cursor and i need to restart windows because i can’t close gw2….i have tryed to reinstall 64 bit client (file exe) and first time it work, but the second time that i open the game, the problem come back… please help us T_T

Posted by: Bishop.7140

Bishop.7140

put me on the list. I submitted a ticket already, hope someone will answer our SOS.

Posted by: Maze.3825

Maze.3825

I too have had this issue. I’ve had to control alt delete and kill process and restart the client to get it.
Come to think of it the second time I start the client always works.

Posted by: Sephiroth.2503

Sephiroth.2503

i solved the problem!!!

in my case, the 64 bit client don’t work because i use msi afterburner for control my gpu fan speed (no overclock). if i close afterburner before the game launch, then work…

why the 64bit game don’t work with afterburner ? 32 bit client work fine..

Posted by: alia.8349

alia.8349

Oh good, there is a thread for this.

As people have mentioned, ~50% of the time when loading the 64bit client I get a black screen and have to restart the computer. I can ctrl+alt+del out, but the cursor doesn’t work and the only way out is a hard reboot.

All drivers are updated, and I’m not running any gpu controls like the guy above. It is driving me crazy.

Posted by: Victoria.2713

Victoria.2713

after latest patch 23/02/2016 I got that problem to, please help !

I cant play and I love this game so much :>

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

as much as I hate to say it. these problems tend to not be anet fault. Graphic drivers are terrible black boxes.

The reason why I keep blaming graphic drivers is because I run this game on linux. Drivers are much more stable on linux than on windows and I do not have any of the stupid problems that the majority of users of this forums has.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

as much as I hate to say it. these problems tend to not be anet fault. Graphic drivers are terrible black boxes.

The reason why I keep blaming graphic drivers is because I run this game on linux. Drivers are much more stable on linux than on windows and I do not have any of the stupid problems that the majority of users of this forums has.

In this case you , I have to say that since you are running linux, you really have nothing to contribute to this thread other than promoting your preferred OS and talking down to forum users. Drivers are not the reason “that the majority” have problems with various aspects of this game. I do know that any problems I have with the game are from Anet (not in this case because I don’t have the problem).

Posted by: licutas.4037

licutas.4037

I to am having the same problem. Only started after the last Patch?
Is Frustrating game only runs for approx 5 mins, before the black sreen.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Started having the same issue a few weeks ago, approximately 50% of the time the game goes to black screen on launch and I have to restart my PC because even Task manager doesn’t work. Graphics drivers are up to date and reinstalled the game last night … no difference.

I am running the SweetFX post-processing mod through Overwolf, though uninstalling that didn’t change the black screen of musical death; so I would guess that it’s probably not to blame … though I’d be interested to know if anyone else is running the same.

The issue started at about the same time as I switched my old AMD graphics card for a GeForce one, so again I wonder if there might be some relationship not related to keeping drivers up to date.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: TheMSR.7120

TheMSR.7120

New NVIDIA driver came out today, fixed it for me.

loseridoit.2756

In this case you , I have to say that since you are running linux, you really have nothing to contribute to this thread other than promoting your preferred OS and talking down to forum users. Drivers are not the reason “that the majority” have problems with various aspects of this game. I do know that any problems I have with the game are from Anet (not in this case because I don’t have the problem).

yes they are

you are underestimating the complexity of current graphic drivers.

I am contributing by saying you are point the finger at the wrong party.

I talk down users when they are pretty wrong.

loseridoit.2756

I sometimes hate these words, I feel it kinda sucks that your experience depends on whether or not the “graphic mafia” ( Reich Geldreich’s words) is willing to fix bugs in their driver on a pretty old games.

Dear Anet,
if you are listening please make a vulkan port since dx12 is a non starter due to windows store. Some of us want to be free from AMD or nvidia control.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Well I’ve been keeping my Nvidia drivers up to date and I’m still getting the issue.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: Squatter.7852

Squatter.7852

I struggled with black screen crashes for some time. Applied all the fixes I could find listed on various threads. What became apparent was that there were multiple different issues that caused the same issue.
I patched drivers, adjusted video settings, forwarded ports, underclocked GPU’s, ran fans at high settings, repaired files, tried different systems. Eventually focusing on the network settings for my household.

Using a Netgear D6300 modem, disabling port scan and Dos Protection was not enough, but finally lost the bug when I also Enabled IGMP proxying.