Black screen and crashing randomly in game

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

I’ve been having problems lately with random black screen with sound, then computer crashing to shutdown. Have to start it up again, then it says it recovered from a BSOD (with no BSOD ever showing). Only showing this in game. Just also started crashing on sleep. If I don’t put it to sleep or go into game I’m fine.

Running Win7, 8g RAM, i5 processor, MSI z87-g45 gaming MB, NVidia geForce 750ti GPU.

The BSOD mini-dump consistently shows the same error: Address ntoskrnl.exe+70e40, IRQL not less or equal.

I’ve checked temps with 3 different programs, all show good temps. I’ve done a memtest, came back ok. Comp is clean. All drivers are updated, including BIOS.

Any suggestions on where to go next?

Edit to say just put in new PSU, it didn’t help either. Also reinstalled the game, tried -repair, and no help.

(edited by Keysha.2815)

Posted by: Foulgrin.2760

Foulgrin.2760

apparently lots of various crash issues lately, I believed mine to be associated with an Itunes install. That seem to be remedied once I uninstalled it from my PC. However, I just experienced more crashes just like I experienced before. I get no errors from the game however, because mine crashes my entire computer. Screen goes black, and pc reboots. Then every time I select a character from the character select screen and attempt a log in, it will again crash my cpu, and my system reboots once more.

Keysha.2815

Ditto on no in-game errors here. And I don’t have and have never had itunes.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I’ve been having problems lately with random black screen with sound, then computer crashing to shutdown. Have to start it up again, then it says it recovered from a BSOD (with no BSOD ever showing). Only showing this in game. Just also started crashing on sleep. If I don’t put it to sleep or go into game I’m fine.

Running Win7, 8g RAM, i5 processor, MSI z87-g45 gaming MB, NVidia geForce 750ti GPU.

The BSOD mini-dump consistently shows the same error: Address ntoskrnl.exe+70e40, IRQL not less or equal.

That reports a driver issue. (Specifically, some bit of hardware yelled “yo, pay attention to MEEEEE” at the CPU, and the driver that was supposed to handle it … didn’t. That’s the tl;dr version of what “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” translates to.)

The smartest approach is probably a clean reinstall, but you could try uninstalling various hardware drivers or disabling devices to see if you can track down which one is responsible.

Keysha.2815

Thank you. Just did a reinstall of windows, killing everything, and am reinstalling all programs, updating all drivers, and so on at this point. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Keysha.2815

Ok. latest update on my issue. Did a full reinstall of windows and all programs. Updated all drivers and BIOS. Started playing game… and black screen with audio. Had to hard reboot to restart. Checked error messages, got event id 4101 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Looked online, have tried most things they say. Anyone know if it would be RAM or the GPU most likely? I am on disability, so can’t afford more than one thing. I’m so tired of this.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Ok. latest update on my issue. Did a full reinstall of windows and all programs. Updated all drivers and BIOS. Started playing game… and black screen with audio. Had to hard reboot to restart. Checked error messages, got event id 4101 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Looked online, have tried most things they say. Anyone know if it would be RAM or the GPU most likely? I am on disability, so can’t afford more than one thing. I’m so tired of this.

sounds like tdr delay.

FIrst, update the driver to make sure this problem is not fixed in a newer version

Next, reproduce the crash. Report it to nvidia as explained in this link.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3335/~/tdr-(timeout-detection-and-recovery)-and-collecting-dump-files

Only Nvidia has the ability to fix their crappy driver.

Next, increase tdrdelay from default 2 to 10.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/tdr-registry-keys

http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/developertools/desktop/timeout_detection_recovery.htm

Keysha.2815

sounds like tdr delay.

FIrst, update the driver to make sure this problem is not fixed in a newer version

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3335/~/tdr-(timeout-detection-and-recovery)-and-collecting-dump-files

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/tdr-registry-keys

http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/developertools/desktop/timeout_detection_recovery.htm

Tried this, didn’t work. I did notice that it isn’t just a blackscreen, it is my monitor saying no signal. Monitor works fine with other computers, even in game. Shutting monitor off and on doesn’t help, nor does unplugging/plugging in.

Posted by: Memeren.1057

Memeren.1057

sounds like tdr delay.

Tried this, didn’t work. I did notice that it isn’t just a blackscreen, it is my monitor saying no signal. Monitor works fine with other computers, even in game. Shutting monitor off and on doesn’t help, nor does unplugging/plugging in.

I’ve had this “no signal” error just once, it was while standing in Verdant Brink map. Had to reboot, logged back and the game allowed me to help kill a dragon, loot and leave map. It gave me a scare and I’ve avoided continuing the VB map after that. Googled the issue and many posters seem to think it has something to do with power?

Keysha, does this “no signal” issue happen on your computer on other than HoT maps?
Asking because the issue has never happened to me in central Tyria maps/Dungeons.

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

having the same problem, never happened before the latest big patch.

Posted by: Ronny Volovich.5796

Ronny Volovich.5796

i`ve had a similar problem where i`d get a black screen still hear music and see the cursor, my computer didn`t crash but i couldn`t do anything but restart.
what did it for me is I started using a Proxy, and the black screens magically went away

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I guess undo the change or lower it. What tdr delay does is increase the time the driver is allow to hang before windows step in. It seems like, your gpu might actually be hanging. Sometimes, tdr recovery triggers when the gpu is too busy. Windows might reset it although it technically responsive. The driver just missed the window (default: 2)

I guess decrease the tdrdelay. Put it back to default if necessary.

Can you post your actual BSOD logs? PSU model? We are kinda helping you blind.

Like I said, you should report issues to nvidia.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/389688/geforce-drivers/nvidia-statement-on-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

There are tons of issues that present itself as tdr events. I am guessing you are having power issues.

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Keysha.2815

I guess undo the change or lower it. What tdr delay does is increase the time the driver is allow to hang before windows step in. It seems like, your gpu might actually be hanging. Sometimes, tdr recovery triggers when the gpu is too busy. Windows might reset it although it technically responsive. The driver just missed the window (default: 2)

I guess decrease the tdrdelay. Put it back to default if necessary.

Can you post your actual BSOD logs? PSU model? We are kinda helping you blind.

Like I said, you should report issues to nvidia.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/389688/geforce-drivers/nvidia-statement-on-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

There are tons of issues that present itself as tdr events. I am guessing you are having power issues.

PSU is a Corsair 650w. So was the one I replaced. I no longer get BSOD logs, just telling me in event viewer recovered from unexpected shutdown.

I have posted in NVIDIA forum, no replies yet. I’m at the point of just not playing anymore unless/until I can afford a new GPU.

Keysha, does this “no signal” issue happen on your computer on other than HoT maps?
Asking because the issue has never happened to me in central Tyria maps/Dungeons.

It mostly happens in Bloodstone Fen, but has happened in my home instance as I was gathering, for certain. Beyond that, I’ll have to think.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Have you tried working with the Tech CS Team?

Keysha.2815

Yes. So far no help there.

Posted by: Tashigi.3159

Tashigi.3159

If you haven’t tried it, do a BIOS update for your motherboard.
The GTX 780 series is having a lot of issues with some games. Most notably are GW2 and Nier: Automata.
I recently had similar issues as yours, except mine would just randomly freeze and restore itself (Not the driver; the entire Windows OS would do a quick restore).
Upon updating my ASUS motherboard’s BIOS, all the problems went away.

Keysha.2815

My bios is fully updated. At this point, I seem to be as some others have said, only having problems in HoT maps. My monitor goes black and I get the ‘no signal’ from it. The power button for it goes on standby. The computer keeps running. In order to get the monitor up, I have to do a hard boot

Someone in game thought it might be a flash heating issue from my heat sink. If that is the case, why is it only causing problems with my monitor?

Posted by: Memeren.1057

Memeren.1057

I’ve been trying to reproduce the issue and so far no luck. Have been able to play on Verdant Brink and Auric Basin. But I did change a few settings from Windows and in-game (after the 1st time it appeared) and maybe they can solve the “no signal” issue for you/others too.

From the computer Power Options, set it to high performance and set turn off display and put the computer to sleep to never.
Then I followed these instructions found on the support page:
“I have an NVIDIA graphics card and my screen turns black, followed by a message stating, “the display driver has stopped responding.”

If you are using NVIDIA and are experiencing a black screen, please try setting Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance per the instructions below:

Right-click your desktop and select the Control Panel.
Under the 3D Settings section, select Manage 3D Settings.
Select the Program Settings tab.
In the drop-down list, select Guild Wars 2 (gw2.exe).
In the feature list, navigate to Power management mode and change the setting to Prefer maximum performance.
Click Apply in the bottom-right corner of the control panel.

Note: This workaround may not solve the problem for everyone."

In-game used the autodetect graphics. Then lowered the eyecandy from that to a mix of medium/low. Reflections to none. Character model limit and quality to low. But my computer is a laptop with a bad design what comes to cooling.

Posted by: Yabby.8732

Yabby.8732

I have the “no signal” (blackout) monitor message when GW2 loads into the character selection startup screen after a recent Windows 10 update, and you cant go back to the desktop home page (no keyboard button works) unless you press the Windows button and then press the button off button to resign in to Windows. I have a GeForce GTX 970. The following seems to fix this issue – changing the Power Plan. But first, update your video driver to latest version. Then do the following:
Go to Windows Settings (Control Panel) -> System -> Power & Sleep -> click on “Additional Power Settings” under Related Settings -> click “Choose what the Power buttons do” -> “Change settings that are currently unavailable” -> untick the box called “Turn on fast start-up” -> save changes and reboot computer. The reboot will take about 15 mins or so depending on your comp speed and Windows should startup with 3rd party drivers and should fix desktop display issues + the blackout issue for GW2 character selection startup screen. Good luck! XD

Posted by: dseanjj.9672

dseanjj.9672

The problem I was having is that randomly after logging into the game the BSOD would pop up and I’f get the dreaded message “Display driver stopped working and has recovered”. So after 48 hours of trial and error, I figured out that it was one of my Intel drivers that was causing the issue. After uninstalling and updating the drivers, I’ve had no issues.