Botter reporting - any way to find out the result?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: maxie.9620

maxie.9620

Hi there,

I’ve been seeing and reporting a bunch of bots over the past few days and was wondering if there was a way to see if anything actionable had developed as a result.

It would be nice if the person who reported someone was informed of the action taken. I don’t know if anything’s happened and therefore I don’t know if it’s worth my time and effort to continue finding/reporting them.

Thanks.

Posted by: Mrflushy.8342

Mrflushy.8342

Once you report the player for what ever the reason. The support team won’t email you saying what action they taken. The action taken is between support and the reported player.

Only thing you can do it report them and move on. Don’t worry they will take what ever action is needed.

Posted by: KAJIMARU.3108

KAJIMARU.3108

I play on gates of madness server and i’m sick of the botts in cursed shore a bunch of asura rangers on the penitent path and nother group of human rangers with bears runing in circles. I’m gonna take a break from the game cause no one seem to do anything about it.

Posted by: ariel.9751

ariel.9751

I know Anet is working on doing something about it, I’d just like to hear updates. Right now, the game is unplayable in a smooth fashion.

If I am questing and am goal-oriented to get to a certain point in my story, telling me ‘oh just go craft for awhile or go somewhere else’ because I can’t do what I intended…because of bots…isn’t an option.

Keep us posted Anet.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Well, if I told you — hand on heart — we smited (smote?) more than 3,000 bots this afternoon, would that make you feel a little more cheery?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: SevenSigma.7462

SevenSigma.7462

Now imagine 3 thousand Dhuums coming from under the ground and taking those bots. That’d be a heartwarming sight, eh?

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

Yes, it made me feel cheery at least.

BTW I did report my first bots yesterday. I wasn’t completely sure they were bots, but since they ran in circles and had names like “asfsfs” I figured they might be.

Posted by: Kvitebjorn.7681

Kvitebjorn.7681

Well, if I told you — hand on heart — we smited (smote?) more than 3,000 bots this afternoon, would that make you feel a little more cheery?

Awesome, i guess the Bot Smiting has begun for full force now

Thnx Anet

Hug your local GM :)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Yes, it made me feel cheery at least.

BTW I did report my first bots yesterday. I wasn’t completely sure they were bots, but since they ran in circles and had names like “asfsfs” I figured they might be.

If you’re submitting a ticket, hold down the key to display names and send that with your ticket. We <3 getting names to research!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Awesome, i guess the Bot Smiting has begun for full force now

Thnx Anet

You’re welcome. It’s a very high priority for us, and it’s great to be making such good headway.

BTW, you have the best sig line ever.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Hurah!

3,000 botters smited!

Great start on stopping this plague!

Well done GW2 team! Keep up the good work.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Kvitebjorn.7681

Kvitebjorn.7681

Gaile Gray , thnx and btw i think its Smithen But yeah i think everyone will be superpsyched over that news, sadly u guys still have a war on botting ahead of u,but hopefully u can make it so unpleasant for em here that the go back to WoW

Hug your local GM :)

LeCreaux.3087

I took a screen cap and looked up the account names.

Sent it in as ticket 121010-000282. That’s five more bots for the list.

(edited by LeCreaux.3087)

LeCreaux.3087

Fix the problem first. You know, like adding speedbumps to a parking lot, instead of having one cop busting 1 out of 100 speeders…

Stop the issue at the start, not after the fact Anet.

What’s your suggestion?

I need some of these solutions for other things also. I have a noisy neighbor I’d like to silence, he should have never been allowed to move next door. And that dog that poops in my yard shouldn’t have been born. I’m making a list of other things that need to be stopped at the start, I think we’re on to something big here.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Well that is an improvement. I will be able to tell you when I get home from work in the morning if I see more on my server. Every time I see a group I get at least one name from it and report them. I will like it better when Instead of 3k it is 30k though since I feel that would represent enough to support all the threads on this topic.

Question I now have is: Why are there no online ingame GMs?

I also support the “Hug your GM” line. I just think you guys are warriors. Read my sig to understand.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

(edited by Krosslite.1950)

Posted by: fijea.3072

fijea.3072

I do realize the number of bots are decreasing these past few days..
Cursed Shore, especially..
Thank you, ANet. Please keep up the good work!

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Hey.. come over to Tarnished Coast and get all these at Penitent Path pretty please with a cherry on top. Grats on the canning 3,000… it was much needed.

Posted by: ericjdor.6089

ericjdor.6089

“Well, if I told you — hand on heart — we smited (smote?) more than 3,000 bots this afternoon, would that make you feel a little more cheery?
Gaile Gray
Support Liaison
ArenaNet”

Sorry this quote isn’t neat and tidy… there’s not an obvious way to quote for me. Gaile, this is excellent news, but I just want to point out this is the first INKLING that there has been any movement on the bot issue in almost 2 weeks. I know this may seem morbid and maybe a little demented, but maybe someone could put up a “Bots Killed” counter on the main page, just so that it doesn’t feel like all us players are doing is just yelling into a brick wall when we report these bots?

Thanks, and I know it’s “Rock devs Hardplace” out there.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Is there any way a screen shot option can be added to that reporting function? I can take a screen shot and attach it to an email and send in, but it would be more efficient to catch it as we report it.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Is there any way a screen shot option can be added to that reporting function? I can take a screen shot and attach it to an email and send in, but it would be more efficient to catch it as we report it.

there is… at the bottom of the reporting box is a button that says “screenshot”

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Falcon Night.4653

Falcon Night.4653

This seems good cause yesterday when I was at Blood Tide Coast I saw so many bot groups running around that I thought GW2 had become a bot test site. I.e. a game where you test all your bot scripts and skills before you go on to make money off other MMOs.

These are not the droid you are looking for, move along… → ESO, FireFall, NW :)

Posted by: nimajneb.3871

nimajneb.3871

I would love to see in game GM characters bot smiting. Perhaps with over the top visual effects, explosions and maybe a new form of dynamic event where the bot characters get turned attackable by the rest of the general populace. That would go a long way to generating some good PR for Anet, even if it didn’t change much of a thing on the bot front.

Note for the context impaired- this posting is intended to be humorous, though I WOULD love to see such a thing, I don’t expect to and the suggestion should not be taken terribly seriously.

Posted by: Rogue Jimmy.4908

Rogue Jimmy.4908

@nimajneb
This is what used to happen in GW1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fFYug8nXcM

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

Don’t get you ban if you make too many report a day??

I see so many bots in Cursed Shore but most of the time just report a handful.

Posted by: Hopeless.8195

Hopeless.8195

Don’t get you ban if you make too many report a day??

I see so many bots in Cursed Shore but most of the time just report a handful.

I believe you may get a warning if you are spamming reports which are fake/misleading.

Posted by: Imdak.7695

Imdak.7695

they should start spawning random monsters with special abilities if you kill in the same area too long, players should be able to dodge, and figure out how to kill it, meanwhile bots will continue doing the same thing. Things i can think of, monsters with reflection, retaliation, etc etc, and you can easy get around it, maybe spawn a environment weapon requiring ground target to get the buff away etc

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

… you guys HAVE to bring back the Dhuum bans, except make it Grenth. Beautiful. Thanks for your hard work, ANet.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Jaglavak.5806

Jaglavak.5806

Great! Only 3000 more to go. Or something like that.

Jaglavak – Asura Elementalist + 7 alts / Server: Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: ericjdor.6089

ericjdor.6089

What I think would be funny, is if all the sudden some Hammers start to fall from the sky, and then smack the bots with the sound “BAN” going off at contact.

But hey, I’m just demented.

Posted by: MacGuffin.2456

MacGuffin.2456

Keep up the good work. Also changing up more heavily-bot-farmed events the way you did the bridge in Kessex Hills would be awesome. That event is far more interesting and fun now.

Posted by: hitchmeister.5934

hitchmeister.5934

Keep in mind the other aspect of 3,000 accounts being banned. The botters either have to buy 3,000 new accounts (Yay! Money for ArenaNet.) or steal 3,000 more accounts. Might want to double check to make sure your account is secure.

Posted by: gaelicvixen.6401

gaelicvixen.6401

Gaile, thank you for this happy news, and please let everyone working on this know how much we appreciate their efforts. Your zero tolerance policy on botting and RMT in GW is one of the things I love about the game and ANet, and is also the reason why I never doubted that you’d bring the banhammer down on botters and RMT farmers in GW2, and why I’m confident you’ll do to the hackers in WvW what you did to the botters in JQ and the cheaters in HA.

And like others, I do wish you’d bring Dhuum and his Sundering Scythe of Banning back. Or give Menzies a Furious Voulge of Banning and let him have a go at the botters, hackers, RMT farmers and the rest. Having someone get “Dhuum’ed” was always an epic (and hilarious) reminder of how ANet dealt with violations of the ToS.

Posted by: Xfraze.1704

Xfraze.1704

Gaile Gray

If you’re submitting a ticket, hold down the key to display names and send that with your ticket. We <3 getting names to research!

I would think that by selecting the player and choosing report that their name would be sent along automatically. Does the system not operate that way?

Posted by: Bad Nursie.2876

Bad Nursie.2876

I’m glad to see something is being done, but the number of bots still present is discouraging, and I wonder why I should even bother reporting them. The very same bots I reported a week ago are still here in the same area. Every time I turn around there are more, and they’re so obvious. It would be nice to have some GMs making rounds, at least in the areas most plagued, like the dragon areas and Orr. This is out of hand.

(edited by Bad Nursie.2876)

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

Hi Gaile, I’m very happy to know that 3000 bot account banned. But I’ve encounter bigger and bigger bot group running on some of the map I’ve visited today. I just reported 20+ ranger bot with 20 bears running in circle killing everything on it’s path. And it’s getting more and more difficult for me to report them effectly because not only do they drastically decrease my framerate but clicking on 20 stacked bots with similar look and maxing with 20 bears can be very frustrating sometime.

Many players chose to turn away from those “bot train” because they are pain in the kitten to report and time consuming. Hopefully anet can give us an “AoE report spell” that’d be very cool and make reporting large bot group easily…..

Keep up the good work!

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Posted by: paultimate.8790

paultimate.8790

You guys just put a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Congratulations. 3000 will be back up within a week. One step forward, one step back. Start banning 3000 daily for a month and we will see some changes. Until then Orr is FILLED with bots STILL.

Posted by: Chubbysumo.4736

Chubbysumo.4736

you should announce where the bot smiting will take place(as in server, place, and time), and then let people come and see. Teleport all the reported bots to an area they cannot get out of, and then do some flashey banning. More fun, and makes more people feel better about it.

Posted by: metaphorm.6904

metaphorm.6904

im very glad to hear this. i hope you can accelerate your measures against botting/hacking and also make the game client more secure as this is becoming quite rampant.

Posted by: ariel.9751

ariel.9751

It DOES make me feel better to know you have Smitten (Smited?) 3,000 bots. For a very short time, it was a peaceful playing experience (well, except for the killing)….

Then….POW, a pile of level 5 Charr bots in Queensdale, another huge group of Rangers in their underwear at the Farm Event (in Queensdale) as well. I finished the map on that zone, so maybe the going will be a little easier.

I said I was going to stop reporting, but I have OCD about it and can’t If they weren’t so incredibly disruptive of Real Players’™ game experience, I’d leave you to it without whining. But there are times when I can’t meet my game objectives because they are there.

So keep up the good fight. Thanks for the answer

Posted by: KAJIMARU.3108

KAJIMARU.3108

Awesome i’m happy to hear ANET is doing something to get rid off the bots it’s very good news!

Posted by: Thundar.3910

Thundar.3910

Good to hear, I would urge you to take a look at Gates of Madness, on the 2 points on the Penitent Path, Shelters Gate and Penitent Waypoints, both have bots running in circles farming anything that moves.

Keep Calm and Conquer
When you are out numbered, and the situation is hopeless, you have no option-you must attack

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

Report them using the support ticket system guys. The reps here are community reps and not support reps.

Posted by: dippy.8961

dippy.8961

Has there been any discussion on how to prevent the creation of bot accounts? I understand that talking about them in the forums could prove counter-productive, you don’t want the bot accounts to know your plans, but letting us know that their are plans in the works would be great.

It seems to me that most of the bots have account names like, “asdfjgas.” If it was possible to introduce code that required legible account names that could help (this could be very difficult with the creativity of gamers and coming up with unique account names; i.e. it would limit real players options for a unique account name).

Another suggestion would be to add a CAPTCHA box for account creation. It’s been a while since I created my account, so I don’t remember if that was there or not. A CAPTCHA box would at least rule out the automation of creating bot accounts.

I’m sure you’re already thinking of even better ways to prevent bots, my observations just spawned ideas and I felt like sharing. I REALLY like the idea of the bot banhammer being a public spectacle…;) Even a weekly/bi-weekly update to let us know the number of banned bot accounts would be great.

Keep up the great work Anet! As long as I know the banhammer is swinging, I’ll keep reporting and keep playing.

Dragonknights of Ascalon [DoA]
Level 80 – Everything
www.yaksbend.com

Posted by: Thundar.3910

Thundar.3910

Report them using the support ticket system guys. The reps here are community reps and not support reps.

Yeah their system is very easy to use in regards to just quick reporting.

Keep Calm and Conquer
When you are out numbered, and the situation is hopeless, you have no option-you must attack

Posted by: Azula.7012

Azula.7012

It’s nice to hear that so many are getting banned. I have noticed bots I reported have gone, but today, I seen and reported 10+ more lvl 80 bots that were farming.

Posted by: The Dark Moo.2408

The Dark Moo.2408

Sorry i dont beileve you smiting 3000+ bots. Smit me go for it smit me because i dont believe you i have been reporting this same group of bots that is growing every day and you have done squat. this cluster is over 7 days old now. here is a screen grab every single one of these accounts are bots. i have submitted over 100 bot reports in the last 7 days you have done NOTHING get these cheats out of our game. Yes i am rude but my patience has worn thin.

http://i.imgur.com/AWnim.jpg

Posted by: Xyrax.3841

Xyrax.3841

Seriously. How long does it take to realize these scumbags are botters? They have been just standing in the same spot all day. Anything that spawns gets eradicated in seconds with little to no chance for anyone else to get a shot in.

Yea yea yea I know. Keep reporting them. Well I’ve been reporting the same bots in another area for weeks and they are still there.

The last time a highly anticipated MMO was released and took their sweet time dealing with these dirtbags, said game saw a massive exodus of legit players leave out of frustration.

These types of problems need to be addressed and resolved immediately. The longer you wait, the greater the chance of becoming just another footnote in MMO history.

[edit] This is on Yak’s Bend in Frostgorge Sound

Attachments:

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I took a screen cap and looked up the account names.

Sent it in as ticket 121010-000282. That’s five more bots for the list.

Many thanks.

“Well, if I told you — hand on heart — we smited (smote?) more than 3,000 bots this afternoon, would that make you feel a little more cheery?
Gaile Gray
Support Liaison
ArenaNet”

Sorry this quote isn’t neat and tidy… there’s not an obvious way to quote for me. Gaile, this is excellent news, but I just want to point out this is the first INKLING that there has been any movement on the bot issue in almost 2 weeks. I know this may seem morbid and maybe a little demented, but maybe someone could put up a “Bots Killed” counter on the main page, just so that it doesn’t feel like all us players are doing is just yelling into a brick wall when we report these bots?

Thanks, and I know it’s “Rock devs Hardplace” out there.

If you’re demented, I’m right there with you. I’ve asked for a Bot Kill Report, and I’d be happy to maintain that on a daily basis!!

@nimajneb
This is what used to happen in GW1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fFYug8nXcM

Still does. About 100 times today alone.

And for all players who are hoping for some sort of ban FX, I’m right there with you. I adore The Dhuum Effect and hope that someday we’ll have something equally splendid in GW2!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

LeCreaux.3087

I make tickets to report the ones I see, along with their character and account names. I’ve been doing a lot of reporting out in Frostgorge as well. The ones in this screencap are all level 7 multi-boxed off a level 80.

Attachments:

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

All bots/accounts are investigated individually first to see the actual circumstances surrounding them. They could be legitimate players using a bot, they could be gold farmers using them.

They all have to be investigated, so the support reps know whether to follow the bots to the main account that launders the money, or simply issue them with a flat ban if they are not a farmer.