Brand new PC and game crashes all the time!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Tyrian.1874

Tyrian.1874

Dear ArenaNet!

I have been looking forward to play GuildWars 2 for a long time now, but after I have installed the game and started playing.. the game keeps crashing on me It can take 5 min .. or it can take 30 min.

The PC is new and i have no issue playing other games like Elder Scrolls Online Beta or World of Warcraft.

I have all the latest drivers, running 64bit Win 8.1.

Please help me fix this, since i really want to play

Attachments:

(edited by Tyrian.1874)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Latest driver for your video card/OS is 13.12. I don’t think you have that, looking at the version number in the log file. So double check you have this.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064

Have you tried to run repair on the game like it asks?

The ArenaNet.log is more useful for actual support so you may want to open a ticket.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Tyrian.1874

I have tried the -repair and that did not fix anything, i have a nvidia gfx card.. but the CPU and chipset is AMD. I installed that Catalyst suite and nothing changed.. stil crashed after a few minutes of gameplay

Behellagh.1468

That’s odd because the DirectX dump portion of the log file says you have an AMD video card. One from the HD 6800 family. So that might be a problem if you think you have an nVidia card.

• DirectX Device Info <—*
    VendorId = 0×1002
    DeviceId = 0×6738
    Version = 8.17.0010.1172
    Description = AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Compat = 0×00000000
    VidMem = 737 MB

RIP City of Heroes

Tyrian.1874

This is weird :O I have a GeForce GTX 760 that has 2GB

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

There isn’t a single reference in that crash log to any Nvidia card at all, something strange there, was there an AMD card in there before hand? Maybe the old drivers etc are not removed, you also have something eating your ram up, according to that log you using 12gb of 16gb available,

Have you scanned that system for malware etc?

Tyrian.1874

This is a brand New PC, there is nothing installed on this computer besides 3 games and the OS itself. So, the only gfx card that has been in this computer is the one i am using now. I also have 8gb DDR3 ram installed, so that 12gb must be something else?

Tyrian.1874

This is what the dxdiag shows :

Attachments:

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

This is what the dxdiag shows :

what CPU do you have?

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Tyrian.1874

This one :

Attachments:

ikereid.4637

well your CPU does not have an iGPU. So i recommend uninstalling your Nvidia and AMD drivers from programs and features. Reboot into safe mode and do a driver sweeper cleanup, then reboot into normal mode and reinstall your Nvidia drivers.

Unless you have a 2nd GPU that’s the 6800 series, something weird is going on with your desktop. And that could cause the application to crash.

Tyrian.1874

Well.. I need the AMD drivers for the chipset on the motherboard to function :P There is NO indication what so ever that there is any conflict between those drivers and the GPU. Everything works like a charm besides Guild Wars 2 !!

I can run other games just fine when the gfx are set on Ultra ! Hours spendt on Assassin Creed 4 and EOS! I also raid 3 times a week when playing WoW With no error at all !! So WHY.. WHY does this game keep crashing? It does not make any sense at all !

Attachments:

ikereid.4637

Let me summarize your issue;

Guildwars2 thinks your system has a HD 6800 series Graphic Card, and GW2.exe is talking to the ATI driver atiumdag.dll. Hense this output from the crash log;

• Crash <—*
    Exception: c0000005
    Memory at address 00064007 could not be read
    App: Gw2.exe
    Pid: 4504
    Cmdline:
    BaseAddr: 00400000
    ProgramId: 101
    Build: 16541
    Module: atiumdag.dll
    When: 2013-01-27T00:47:46Z
    Uptime: 0 days 3:10:45
    Flags: 0

and

• DirectX Device Info <—*
    VendorId = 0×1002
    DeviceId = 0×6738
    Version = 8.17.0010.1172
    Description = AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Compat = 0×00000000
    VidMem = 737 MB

Now I am not sure if you have something onboard thats integrated or maybe a 2ndary gpu installed in your system. But that issue needs to be resolved.

And no where in your crash logs is a Nvidia Graphics Card ever referenced.

Behellagh.1468

There are chipset drivers and video drivers. We are asking you to remove the video drivers. They are not all in the same package.

RIP City of Heroes

Tyrian.1874

How do i remove the AMD vid driver only?

Posted by: gobflinger.8653

gobflinger.8653

Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features

- SHould be on that list!

Delete the adjectives and you’ll have the facts.

Tyrian.1874

Nothing AMD gfx related on my list, just the program that adjust the CPU frequenzy.

Posted by: Max Gladius.6930

Max Gladius.6930

May sound dumb, but try reinstalling directx…. it is detecting it as version 8.17 I believe…

With the installation of it, it may redetect the video card and setup.

Also, did you do a clean install of GW2, or copy the .dat from your old computer to new?

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hi Tyrian,

Do you happen to have updated crash logs? You had said that this is a brand new computer you’re playing on but one, we’re seeing the AMD card in the logs, and two, the logs that you did provide are pretty outdated:

—> Crash <—
Memory at address 137480c9 could not be written
Pid: 1080
Cmdline:
Build: 17121
When: 2013-03-17T12:08:28Z
Uptime: 0 days 0:47:59

Specifically, you can see the latest date on the report is from March 17th, 2013 (the most recent crash errors are at the bottom).

Be sure you’re looking in the following location for the crash logs so we can have the most up to date information regarding your system otherwise you’re going to get troubleshooting steps irrelevant to your issue:

1. Hold down the Windows button on the keyboard and hit the R key.
2. Paste in the following line: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2
3. Click “OK.”

Once here you just need to locate the ArenaNet.log file.

Posted by: Arienn.7354

Arienn.7354

Hi all,

I have the same problem with crashing game. Please find attached ArenaNet log.

Attachments:

Behellagh.1468

Please start your own thread Arienn. Just because it crashes doesn’t mean it’s the same cause.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: polter.3241

polter.3241

Same problem.

I got a new pc, win 7 64 bit, 8gb ram and since edge of the mists it crashed everyday in wvw. :-(

Tyrian.1874

Hi Tyrian,

Do you happen to have updated crash logs? You had said that this is a brand new computer you’re playing on but one, we’re seeing the AMD card in the logs, and two, the logs that you did provide are pretty outdated:

—> Crash <—
Memory at address 137480c9 could not be written
Pid: 1080
Cmdline:
Build: 17121
When: 2013-03-17T12:08:28Z
Uptime: 0 days 0:47:59

Specifically, you can see the latest date on the report is from March 17th, 2013 (the most recent crash errors are at the bottom).

Be sure you’re looking in the following location for the crash logs so we can have the most up to date information regarding your system otherwise you’re going to get troubleshooting steps irrelevant to your issue:

1. Hold down the Windows button on the keyboard and hit the R key.
2. Paste in the following line: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2
3. Click “OK.”

Once here you just need to locate the ArenaNet.log file.

When i go there, only file i can find is Local.dat No ArenaNet.Log file.

Tyrian.1874

This is getting silly!! I can see that I am not alone on this issue! I have checked ALL my drivers and they are up to date! I have no problems running other games.. it only crashes when I play GW2

I am really sad, I love this game.. but I can not play it in this state It even crashes when i turn the GFX setting to optimal performance! And it crashes all the time when i try to do my personal questline.

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hey Tyrian,

Have you tried playing in Windowed mode to see if you still get this issue? Beyond this, I highly encourage you to submit a support ticket so we can work with you one on one. You should get a response fairly quickly.

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

This is getting silly!! I can see that I am not alone on this issue! I have checked ALL my drivers and they are up to date! I have no problems running other games.. it only crashes when I play GW2

I am really sad, I love this game.. but I can not play it in this state It even crashes when i turn the GFX setting to optimal performance! And it crashes all the time when i try to do my personal questline.

Module : atiumdag.dll <<< This shows you are using an AMD card to run the game. There are settings to set default graphics card (you are currently using the one built into motherboard and not the GeForce Card). Try checking under your advanced display settings for a Detect option to make sure it is set to use the NVidia card as Default for all gaming, etc. Best of luck.

Edit: uninstall Direct X, Re-Install. Check nvidia.com and maybe pick up the NVIDIA GeForce Experience program, it is helpful for keeping drivers for Nvidia cards updated.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

(edited by Otaur.9268)

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Uninstall Catalyst suite. Use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the AMD graphics driver only:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Module : atiumdag.dll <<< This shows you are using an AMD card to run the game. There are settings to set default graphics card (you are currently using the one built into motherboard and not the GeForce Card). Try checking under your advanced display settings for a Detect option to make sure it is set to use the NVidia card as Default for all gaming, etc. Best of luck.

Edit: uninstall Direct X, Re-Install. Check nvidia.com and maybe pick up the NVIDIA GeForce Experience program, it is helpful for keeping drivers for Nvidia cards updated.

I was thinking this as well. You probably have not gone into your bios and set your graphic card to your nvidia card instead of the onboard video card. When you purchased this video card, after you put it into your computer, did you open up your bios menu and switch it so that everything runs through this one instead of the onboard video card?

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Hey again, the the .log file i posted earlier was not mine.. looks like i uploaded someone elses that i had downloaded :P

I tried fullscreen and window mode.. same thing happens
Anyhow, here is the results from the Guild Wars 2 testing :

Again to make sure you are up-to-date on graphics drivers, you should check out NVIDIA GeForce Experience (available at nvidia.com).

Edit: Also I would remove that GW2 Test.txt and only send that to the Support Team through a ticket as it lists information that people may use harmfully. Although it may have been up to long now anyhow.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

(edited by Otaur.9268)

Tyrian.1874

Ok, an update : I took out all the hardware from the PC and ensured that there was NO error either on the hardware or the cabinet. Installer Windows 8.1 64 bit on a fresh harddisk and ONLY installed the nvidia gfx driver and the AMD chipset drivers! I THEN reinstalled the game.. SAME THING happened!! I have NO heat issues ( 4 × 140 fans in the Tower ) The system is not overclocked or modified in ANY ways! I have tested the RAM With the ramtester in win 8.1 AND i have tested the ram using memcheck! NO fault in any hardware on ANY tests i have taken!
I stresstested the CPU and GPU, no signs of error there either!

I have played the game in low gfx settings, in the best settings and the auto detect setting.. same ting happens! Played fullscreen.. windowed.. same kitten happens! I can pick flowers .. game freezes.. I can do some crafting.. game freezes.. but the worst thing is when it happens when I do some dungeons.. ye.. kicked out of the instance when I restarts the PC after the crash! BUT.. sometimes.. it can run smoothly, I have managed to play for some hours With no crashes also.. it is totally random ! This have prevented me from joining in on the real fun, and I just have a bad feeling each time I log the game!

This is my hardware list :

Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB 2.5" ( As the OS / system disk )
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB
Cooler Master G700, 700W PSU
MSI 990FXA-GD65, Socket-AM3+ Mainboard
MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming 2GB PhysX
AMD FX-8320 Black Edition CPU
Cooler Master Blizzard T2 CPU Kjøler ( AND I have also used the boxed one just to eliminate fan error )
Seagate Barracuda® 2TB ( As the game/media disk )

I played EoS beta the Whole weekend and had NO freezes and errors, I also played Neverwinter With NO freezes and errors.. I raid for HOURS in WoW With no.. well.. you can Guess it.. NO errors !

My questions to you are :

1. DOES the game have ANY known issue on Win 8.1 64 bit?
2. DOES the game have ANY problems With the OS on the SSD?
3. DO i need more RAM? Like.. would 8 more GB do the trick?

I used my HARD earned cash to get this game, and i also bought some gems in the online store! I think I deserve to be treated as a valuable costumer here.. and a Nice reply would be much loved !

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Tyrian,

As I mentioned previously – in order for us to work with you one on one in regards to this issue, please submit a support ticket.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Tyrian -

Have you tried a BIOS update?

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXAGD65.html#/?div=BIOS

One of the previous BIOS versions has this fix:

“- Fix system will be unstable without PS2 keyboard.”

Tyrian.1874

Ticket posted, lets see if we can find something out

Yes.. the bios on the MB are Version 20.3.. the latest.

Posted by: seekerking.2875

seekerking.2875

Why are the logs dated January 27 , 2013 to March 17, 2013?

Are these even up to date, or have you been screwing with the machine’s time? The OP was 23 days ago aka February, so chances are, you’re posting the wrong logs.

Genius.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Why are the logs dated January 27 , 2013 to March 17, 2013?

Are these even up to date, or have you been screwing with the machine’s time? The OP was 23 days ago aka February, so chances are, you’re posting the wrong logs.

Genius.

Nothing to do with the fact we are now in 2014, so yes they where the wrong logs, which the OP when asked said they could not find the newer ones,

Tyrian.1874

Hey all, just a small update !

Kudos to the support team trying to help me With this issue, but alas.. we could not find any solution Tried everything there is ! And.. they gave up on me

BUT.. here is something weird i found out.. i did notice that when i was using Skype With my friends while playing GW2.. the game did not crash!! SO.. each time i play the game now.. i use Skype to Call my fake account on my iPad just to keep the line up ! And .. the game does not crash !! :O I have NO idea why… and i hope some clever brains here might know why ?

Tommy

Posted by: Myth Shaia.4856

Myth Shaia.4856

The Skype thing is weird…

I fixed my GW2 crashing problems a while back by making sure that my ram frequency setting in the bios was set to 1600mhz and not 1333mhz, which many bios do by default even if you have 1600mhz ram.

…hmm, although having the Skype thing in the background may well do something with the ram somehow…

…from elsewhere…
“I am not a complete idiot, there are some components missing still!” …