Can some1 confirm me how well this Config is?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Hi, in advance to the expansion I am trading my old i5 2320(3ghz) + GTX 550 ti(196bits 1GB) for this new set:

• i7 4790 @3,6Ghz
  • GTX 970 256bits @4gB ram ddr5
  • DDR 8gb
  • Also, I am installing gw2 on a 120gb ssd

So, do you guys think this setup is good enough to run gw2 on its max settings smoothly?

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Depends on if the drivers will be updated properly. If you visit websites that put spywear on your machine. If you don’t know how to maintain your HD space.

You could get a cheap video card that has a poor cooling unit so it could cause issues. Your cooling unit for your CPU could also be poor, which would affect performance. Your SSD could be bad. Your windows could have corrupt files.

It could, but with all that I mentioned, can and does affect performace. It’s like asking if you going with a certain cell phone company for the best service (technical service) but it turns out your house has signal issues, thus you end up with poor service)

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

While that could be (see above about “cheap” video cards) a great video card for other newer games, it’s likely overkill for GW2. I also think an i7 is overkill for GW2 but others seem to think the minor improvement over an i5 is worth the extra money.

I do not think the hardware exists to run GW2 at max settings in all modes (see WvW) and situations (huge ZERG) “smoothly”.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Ah, thanx. I am mainly a pve/pvp, hardly try out wxw. I usually run my PC VERY clear, and free of interwebs softs/ads. I’ve running pretty decent on my actual set, but with most of settings at medium/low. I was just hinking if the i7+gtx550 would be a big improvment.

I really don’t understand what you mean by overkill x), you mean that it is much more than what it really needs?

Thankxs for the tips also!

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Ah, thanx. I am mainly a pve/pvp, hardly try out wxw. I usually run my PC VERY clear, and free of interwebs softs/ads. I’ve running pretty decent on my actual set, but with most of settings at medium/low. I was just hinking if the i7+gtx550 would be a big improvment.

I really don’t understand what you mean by overkill x), you mean that it is much more than what it really needs?

Thankxs for the tips also!

What he means is, the game is SOOO dependant on single core IPC that anything above a GTX560 is held back by the games engine at normal resolutions (IE, 1080p).
The GTX970 will not really ‘shine’ unless you are pushing 1440p+ resolutions on high settings. The i7-4790 is the best part of the upgrade IMHO as it has a high single core IPC compared to your i5. And yes, HT will give you more FPS, its really more effective in places like WvW and Zerg content. I see a 25~ FPS difference between an i5 and i7 clock vs clock (4790K vs 4670K) using the same GPU.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: infinityandbeyond.9652

infinityandbeyond.9652

Hi, in advance to the expansion I am trading my old i5 2320(3ghz) + GTX 550 ti(196bits 1GB) for this new set:

• i7 4790 @3,6Ghz
  • GTX 970 256bits @4gB ram ddr5
  • DDR 8gb
  • Also, I am installing gw2 on a 120gb ssd

So, do you guys think this setup
is good enough to run gw2 on its max settings smoothly?

Hi mate,

Have a look at this thread about i5 vs i7 using the same GPU ( GTX 970 ).

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/i5-vs-i7-GW2-Benchmarks-2015-a-comparison

I think you’ll find the 4790 around 11-15% faster frame-rare vs the current i5 in PVE.

It would be marginally better than the i5 in WvW.

You could save yourself some money by getting the Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 instead ( this also has 4 cores plus HT = 8 threads ) and is around $70-$80 cheaper. It has a boost speed of 3.8 GHz.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_1490&products_id=28040

Great GPU btw.

I say go for it

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

(edited by infinityandbeyond.9652)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

….. I see a 25~ FPS difference between an i5 and i7 clock vs clock (4790K vs 4670K) using the same GPU.

Sorry….gotta call BS on that claim. MAYBE in an low load zone by yourself but not when anything (combat) is actually happening.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances