Can we please get a working Mac Client [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Clever clever…

On-Topic: Game still crashes. OOM errors each time.

I’ve been tweaking my Wine-staging GW2 build for a while now, but I cannot seem to get rid of the graphics glitches. They seem to occur in tandem with glowing and lighting effects, of which GW2 has a TON, so there is a constant garble of flashing, distorted environmental models, and other graphical messes that makes the game nearly unplayable. These glitches do not seem to affect the UI, Inventory Box, or options windows.

Furthermore, wine-staging apparently cannot not use the 64-bit windows client, so I am not sure that, even if I somehow fix the graphics problem, it will last any longer than the Mac client as it is now.

All of which is very unfortunate, because it seems to otherwise be the most stable. Looking online, I can find nothing about this particular problem.

Native Wine stopped working as of yesterday’s patch. So it was the best option until then.

I have to say, It’s kinda crummy that I’m looking into these sorts of options for a game advertised to me with a mac client. But until Cider comes in 64-bit, or until ANet comes out with a native client, I’m not sure what we can do.

Really sucks to hear

I was hoping that Wine-Staging would have the same performance / effect on Mac as it does on Linux.

Just to be clear, did you compile the Wine-Staging build from source or downloaded the pre built one? On the official website I could only find builds for 32bit so that may be the reason why the 64bit client can’t run.

Additionally if your Wine configuration has the 2 folders named “Program Files (x86)” and “Program Files” that means you have a 64bit Wine profile (which also supports 32bit). But if there’s only “Program Files” that means it’s 32bit only.

As a Linux user I wasn’t far behind Macs with the 32bit build of the game, I could do events and play the game but was forced to restart every 45mins or so because the Virtual Memory would fill up and crash the game. The 64bit client now uses even up to 5GB VM and doesn’t crash.

If ANet could at least fix up the graphics issues from Wine-Staging and build a 64bit version, that might restore a big chunk of playability for Macs

Posted by: JRM.6218

JRM.6218

To ArenaNet:

I do not ask you to fix this because you don’t know how to. I only ask that you acknowledge the client doesn’t “run well”, but it doesn’t run at all.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

To ArenaNet:

I do not ask you to fix this because you don’t know how to. I only ask that you acknowledge the client doesn’t “run well”, but it doesn’t run at all.

I want an answer too and I think many others. This is just too much of a game-breaking issue to ignore even if they didn’t plan to support the Mac version.

Maybe in their budget they need to invest a small amount in the Mac Client support because crashing once every 2 hours at minimal settings is acceptable, but crashing every 5 minutes at minimum settings isn’t.

2 years ago I could run the game at medium settings without crashes; lack of support and improvements for Mac ruined the Client.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Posted by: Aazo.2841

Aazo.2841

Part of the problem is EVERY update causes an issue with Mac client… EVERY SINGLE PATCH. I have to do a work around to even get it to work after every patch and that’s becoming a real pain in the kitten .

JRM.6218

“Bug fixes:

Reduced memory usage in the 32-bit client and the Mac client".

I’m surprised. I finished an event with a lot of people and then another with full map (max settings). I crashed twice. Since the map was full and my settings on top, I want to say: THANK YOU. It isn’t perfect and you must continue improving the client, but before this fix I couldn’t do anything remotely like.

I hope it stays that way (or better) and the same thing happens to people running OS X.

Posted by: SpookyElectric.1507

SpookyElectric.1507

So today, I played for about an hour without any crashes. Logging back on, I played in HoT maps for about another hour with no crashes or issues at all. I wasn’t going to push my luck or anything (kept the settings low), but the game was WAY more playable.

Seeing the latest big fixes confirmed my suspicions. THANK YOU ANET! You have no idea how happy you’ve made me.

Posted by: Mahkno.7593

Mahkno.7593

same crashing after the “bug fix”. usually around the 30 min mark it crashed. ever since the 11/17 patch. and all i was doing was dueling 1 guildie in the guild arena:

—> Crash <—
OOM: Heap, bytes=32768, (Transgaming)
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 1
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 55446
When: 2015-11-19T05:19:55Z 2015-11-19T00:19:55-05:00
Uptime: 0 days 0:30:42
Flags: 0×10

—> System <—
Name: xxxxxx
IpAddr: 10.0.1.101
Processors: 8 [GenuineIntel:6:10:9]
OSVersion: Mac OS 10.10 (32 bit)

—> System Memory <—
Physical: 5804MB/16384MB 35%
Paged: 6585MB/17408MB 37%
Virtual: 0MB/ 2047MB 0%
Load: 64%
CommitTotal: 17408MB
CommitLimit: 6585MB
CommitPeak: 17408MB
SystemCache: 0MB
HandleCount: 3409
ProcessCount: 2
ThreadCount: 77

—> Process Memory <—
Private: 2738MB
WorkingSet: 2738MB
PeakWorkingSet: 2738MB
PageFaults: 2458779

—> Memory Category Usage (Inclusive) <—
[Category] [Size(MB)] [Count]
Root 745.84 1679903
Programmer Data 374.91 373113
VRAM 339.26 19935
Art Assets 251.56 16940
Engine 147.49 190752
Game 139.04 120854
Content 96.94 37389
Gr 90.73 116598
Uncategorized 87.62 1267945
VRAM – Gr Postproc 81.12 18
Character Models 79.71 3451
Map Assets 77.41 9288
Prop Models 69.15 5667
Prop Packfile 67.39 268
Anim Import Packfile 67.15 172
Anim Import Models 67.15 172
Collections 62.83 21024
Dictionary 58.58 5984
Gr Umbra 50.21 1774
VRAM – UI Textures 49.31 1340
Composite Models 42.12 344
Composite Tex 40.14 152
Composite Tex Pool 40.14 152
Character Packfile 36.99 265

—> Memory Category Usage (Exclusive) <—
[Category] [Size(MB)] [Count]
Content 96.94 37389
Uncategorized 87.62 1267945
VRAM – Gr Postproc 81.12 18
Prop Packfile 67.39 268
Anim Import Packfile 67.15 172
Dictionary 58.58 5984
Gr Umbra 50.21 1774
VRAM – UI Textures 49.31 1340
Composite Tex Pool 40.14 152
Character Packfile 36.99 265
VRAM – DirectX Geo Buffers 30.56 1520
Text 27.61 3485
Effect Packfile 22.86 267
VRAM – Character Tex 20.46 871
Map Zone 19.60 17780
VRAM – DDI Shader 19.11 14398
VRAM – Prop Tex 17.85 750
VRAM – Terrain PgdImg 17.50 70
Collide 16.38 4529
VRAM – Prop Geo 13.75 49
Collide Havok 11.85 16434
Audio 11.55 2463
Archive 11.20 38
VRAM – World Map Tex 10.44 43

[DbgHelp.dll is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dbghelp.dll]
[DbgHelp.dll version 6.6.7.5 (64/32-bit compatible)]

—> ClientContextThreadProc Thread 0×1c <—

—> Trace <—
Pc:0070e0ef Fr:06f4f920 Rt:00fa1cef Arg:00000000 00000000 0154e510 000000cc
Pc:00fa1cef Fr:06f4f980 Rt:00fa28e4 Arg:43308b1c b0c9eb10 43308a90 5235a0c8
Pc:00fa28e4 Fr:06f4fa64 Rt:00fa220a Arg:b0c9eb10 432ff0a4 06f4fc64 06f4fa94
Pc:00fa220a Fr:06f4fac0 Rt:00f8bb5a Arg:b0c9eb10 06f4fb1c 598b9530 432ff010
Pc:00f8bb5a Fr:06f4fbe4 Rt:00f8b5bb Arg:3d3c4309 06f4fc64 06f4fc70 06f4fc7c
Pc:00f8b5bb Fr:06f4fc00 Rt:01004d98 Arg:3d3c4309 06f4fc64 06f4fc70 06f4fc7c
Pc:01004d98

Posted by: GreyCat.5823

GreyCat.5823

Someone send beer bug squashers, it works!

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

thx for the update!

Talék

Posted by: WesleySnipes.3917

WesleySnipes.3917

Wow….
ANet just updated us! Thank you ANet for the update, for the first time i managed to play the game on medium settings without a terrible fps (i tried for a few minutes, i still can’t believe i’m able to do this on the mac client, hope the game doesn’t prove me wrong in a near future).

tips fedora

Talek.6795

I said thanks too early. After we got that update i thought i would really finish Dragon’s Stand at last! I haven’t finished the full map before. All was ok till i got crash on last islands encounter…

I still have hope to finish it but don’t go before we get newnew update from Anet

Talék

WesleySnipes.3917

I said thanks too early. After we got that update i thought i would really finish Dragon’s Stand at last! I haven’t finished the full map before. All was ok till i got crash on last islands encounter…

I still have hope to finish it but don’t go before we get newnew update from Anet

The fact that we got a fix in almost over an year is still good. Would love to see them on a regular basis though

Posted by: PeerkeG.2653

PeerkeG.2653

Crashes have gone down actually.. now I’m able to play for an hour or so, instead of 5 mins!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Wow….
ANet just updated us! Thank you ANet for the update, for the first time i managed to play the game on medium settings without a terrible fps (i tried for a few minutes, i still can’t believe i’m able to do this on the mac client, hope the game doesn’t prove me wrong in a near future).

tips fedora

No, ANet updated the 32-bit Windows client which was crashing frequently, which was why the 64-bit beta version was pushed out, and it happens to also help the Mac version.

This is what they have been saying all along. Fix the common issues that affect everybody first and then they can look at the ones that only affect Mac users.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Can-we-please-get-a-working-Mac-Client-Merged/first#post5638499

But he was shouted down and had 27 additional days of nothing but disparaging things said about the ANet and the team(s) in charge of the game engine and it’s cider adaption. But one fix went in hand with the other.

Would a native client be better, hella yes. But unless they rebuild their engine to be cross-platform or a business argument could be made to pay someone to create a true Mac port all you are going to get is Cider wrapped version and the PC users will be stuck with a Dx9, limited threaded version of the client.

You keep asking and so will we.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

WesleySnipes.3917

Wow….

tips fedora

No, ANet updated the 32-bit Windows client which was crashing frequently, which was why the 64-bit beta version was pushed out, and it happens to also help the Mac version.

This is what they have been saying all along. Fix the common issues that affect everybody first and then they can look at the ones that only affect Mac users.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Can-we-please-get-a-working-Mac-Client-Merged/first#post5638499

But he was shouted down and had 27 additional days of nothing but disparaging things said about the ANet and the team(s) in charge of the game engine and it’s cider adaption. But one fix went in hand with the other.

Would a native client be better, hella yes. But unless they rebuild their engine to be cross-platform or a business argument could be made to pay someone to create a true Mac port all you are going to get is Cider wrapped version and the PC users will be stuck with a Dx9, limited threaded version of the client.

You keep asking and so will we.

Dnt get me wrong. This fix was nice but our goal is still far from sight. This thread will keep being bumped into the top 10 until we get an oficial date for an actual working client and take the beta sticker out. We still didnt pay full price for a beta wrapper. We paied the same price windows users did and you guys have a client with constant work put into it. Thats our goal: Have the same treatment you guys do as we paid the same price you did for the exact same product that has an ad saying they support our OS

Posted by: TripleGt.7501

TripleGt.7501

When did this update come out. I played till around 12 pm last night and i was crashing still, did it come out just after that time last night?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

When did this update come out. I played till around 12 pm last night and i was crashing still, did it come out just after that time last night?

Patch note say about 15 hour ago at time I post this.

;)

Posted by: FlamingCrouton.2439

FlamingCrouton.2439

So far so good. I haven’t crashed in hours. I haven’t tried any super busy maps yet though.

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

Bump! Its been 3 years and to see the that the client is still in beta just makes me mad. I know the Mac community is small but come on. When are we going to get a proper client. I can only really play sPvP at a good frame rate when I stream using OBS.

Also PLEASE FIX THE FULLSCREEN ISSUES WITH THE MAC CLIENT. When fullscreening and using the my second monitor as our primary scene. My Mac has a black screen and I can’t see anything on it.

If you go fullscreen on both monitors, you can see what’s on them both. It’s the same for all non-native programs on Mac, so for example if you have a browser window on your Mac and GW2 in fullscreen on your second monitor, you need to run the browser in fullscreen on your Mac as well to be able to see them both at the same time and not a black screen. It’s not ideal, but it works (for programs that can go fullscreen).

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

I have a new issue with the Mac version. Now when I launch the game the screen freeze once in game. I have to alt-tab in and out multiple times to get it working again. Really strange.

I have that very same issue as well. And it doesn’t seem to have been fixed with the latest patch either. It is extremely annoying if you happen to login at a “busy” area with a lot of enemies since you basically cannot do anything while alt-tabbing out and in again to make the game unfreeze.

JRM.6218

Not enough.

After the first impression, where I went from crashing in seconds to crashing in minutes, I realize that I can’t do anything involving a good amount of people without crashing again.
Can you improve the client until it crashes in hours at least?

Signature on.

(edited by JRM.6218)

Posted by: PadreNike.1803

PadreNike.1803

Bhagawan
My YouTube
My Army

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594

^OP asked for a post, I directed him toward one. I stated nothing about how informative it was, or was not.

If you feel your feedback would be helpful, you might consider posting it in the thread that contains the aforementioned Dev post.

Good luck.

Oh, please don’t take that as an attack, Inculpatus! You’ve been a voice of reason amongst the many angry Mac users (myself included). I was simply offering my own observations as well – the dev tracker at that time contained no information of a timeline for a Mac client. :)

WesleySnipes.3917

playing on a VM is just as bad as using the client. If you want to install windows on your mbp, you might as well try using bootcamp, the perfomance will be way better. Although not every1 is able to bootcamp

Xillllix.3485

Didn’t crash tonight in WvW on the absolute lowest settings. I think you may have fixed part of it.

I will try tomorrow on medium settings.

JRM.6218

I wonder how I finished (well, I crashed just after the chest appeared) Battle in Tarir once. Impossible to do events like that one.

Posted by: DePhoenix.2819

DePhoenix.2819

Yeah I recently (partially) did a Vb event train and crashed at around tier 3 and lost all progress =w=.

But things are patched now? Don’t really feel like trying because I’m afraid I’ll just waste my time again.

WesleySnipes.3917

That is a new feature in El Capitan. It’s separate to the USB booting that is available on all macs without a disc drive. Though the feature may actually not carry across to 2011 MBP’s, I would assume it does however. It’s software based, rather than EFI/hardware based.

If it does work on 2011 mbp’s that sounds very promissing

I’ve upgraded to El Captain and unfortunately my hopes of bootcamping were crushed…. it still asks for a Windows CD giving no option to use an ISO

Even worse news: the game even on worse settings continues to choke my fps and my toon continues to walk like 10 meters before coming to a full stop.
This kills my pvp and pve experience as the game has many jump puzzles (even if they aren’t that hard) and when im on pvp when i try to dodge to any side, the only way he goes is rolling forward… this is very disgusting.

Attachments:

(edited by WesleySnipes.3917)

Xillllix.3485

I’m still crashing, but its every 25 minutes instead of every 5 minutes.

Fix the Mac client please.

WesleySnipes.3917

I’m still crashing, but its every 25 minutes instead of every 5 minutes.

Fix the Mac client please.

yesterday i crashed 3 times on pvp only.
and still getting horrible fps problems

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

That is a new feature in El Capitan. It’s separate to the USB booting that is available on all macs without a disc drive. Though the feature may actually not carry across to 2011 MBP’s, I would assume it does however. It’s software based, rather than EFI/hardware based.

If it does work on 2011 mbp’s that sounds very promissing

I’ve upgraded to El Captain and unfortunately my hopes of bootcamping were crushed…. it still asks for a Windows CD giving no option to use an ISO

Even worse news: the game even on worse settings continues to choke my fps and my toon continues to walk like 10 meters before coming to a full stop.
This kills my pvp and pve experience as the game has many jump puzzles (even if they aren’t that hard) and when im on pvp when i try to dodge to any side, the only way he goes is rolling forward… this is very disgusting.

After you go past that it will give you an option on where to get the windows file from. The boot camp installer actually only uses the ISO, the selection option is just choosing an internet source or the ISO option (if you try and use a disc it gives you a link for boot camp help on how to make it an ISO file). I found this out when I installed Windows 8 into my boot camp partition, tried using a disk and it made me convert it.

I am using OSX EI Capitan, and boot camp works perfectly, I installed with the ISO file. Guild Wars 2 works so well on boot camp, can actually play the game with all settings on high now as well, and do the new maps without crashing.

We really need a working mac client, I want to play game like this on my mac, saves me a lot of hard drive space and rebooting is annoying.

JRM.6218

And so, accepting conditions that no Windows user would accept, can barely play, this thread will disappear as others did and beta will continue for years.

Talek.6795

Finally on lowest lowest settings yesterday i made first Dragon’s Stand in my life^^

Talék

Posted by: Vermagus.7804

Vermagus.7804

I don’t know what improvements ANETare making but something seems to be working, Still crashing but not it’s ever 20 mins or so instead of 5. Keep up the work and hopefully you guys find the root of the issue. Was finally able to do shatter today and no crash, hoping it’s not luck.

Posted by: Laskoo.9645

Laskoo.9645

Well after just purchasing a mac today i am more than disappointed in seeing all these problems most macs users are having. happy days…

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I play on Best Performance these days. I can mostly puddle about completing maps. I switch over to my Win laptop when my game partner is online and we want to do interesting stuff like HoT content. It is not just that the game is ugly and not much fun on the Mac, but it is embarrassing when I crash and have to reload several times in a playing session. If I didn’t have access to the laptop I would probably quit this game and all ANet’s Club Med holidays would have to be funded by someone else.

Xillllix.3485

I’m still having issues on Mac with the Guild Halls interfaces. It takes minutes to load.

Posted by: Haze.9647

Haze.9647

i don’t know about anyone else, but miraculously i have managed dragon stand for days with no crashes
i have had the odd random closure but that was in Lions arch
i have macbook pro 15inch retina (2014) after HoT it was awful
Now i don’t really have many issues at all, same for everyone else>???

Xillllix.3485

Hey is Anet ever going to fix the annoying crashes?

It’s getting really annoying to crash in WvW every 20 minutes and then spend 30 minutes waiting in queue.

WesleySnipes.3917

It’s getting really annoying to crash in WvW every 20 minutes and then spend 30 minutes waiting in queue.

they only fix the client when they fix the windows version and by miracle it applies to our wrapper as well

Aazo.2841

Woot! Fresh patch this morning, and fresh chance to do my workaround to get download client going.. <sarcasm>

Yup.. it happens every patch. Though this time I had to force quit 3 times and restart it with a browser up to get it going. For some reason I have to have a browser (use firefox) up and running when I restart client, for the patch window to appear on my screen to start downloading patch. Not sure why that is the case, but It’s consistent now.

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

Regarding an x64 client for OS X:
As much as you don’t want to hear this, it’s most likely never going to happen. Short of ArenaNet writing a native Mac client anyway.

In a nutshell, the issue lies with the way in which OS X handles CPU registers on x64. Unfortunately this conflicts with the way Windows does and the way in which Windows applications are programmed to expect. What this means is that OS X will change the value of a CPU register to something that the application doesn’t expect which will cause a crash.

It is possible to wrap calls from the Windows software in Wine to prevent this problem but we’re talking a 15 to 20x performance hit, which is just unacceptable.

The only way you’re going to see an x64 GW2 client on OS X is if someone set up a way to run Wine via a CPU emulator like QEMU, but that’s fairly far fetched.

Your best options at this point are:
1. Run the x86 version (32 bit) of Guild Wars 2 using PlayOnMac
or:
2. Run the x64 version of Guild Wars 2 either via BootCamp or using a virtual machine with software like Parallels or VMware.

Whilst I’ve found VMware is, on the whole, a lot more stable and does benchmark higher, Parallels seems to give better graphical performance.

Someone mentioned WineSkin working with the x64 client – I’m pretty sure this couldn’t work even if it wanted to but will test and report back.

(edited by HippieJoel.9537)

Xillllix.3485

Woot! Fresh patch this morning, and fresh chance to do my workaround to get download client going.. <sarcasm>

Yup.. it happens every patch. Though this time I had to force quit 3 times and restart it with a browser up to get it going. For some reason I have to have a browser (use firefox) up and running when I restart client, for the patch window to appear on my screen to start downloading patch. Not sure why that is the case, but It’s consistent now.

I wait 5-10 minutes and after then the download usually starts. It’s a new sort of bug that showed up at every Mac update.

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

As much as you don’t want to hear this, it’s most likely never going to happen. Short of ArenaNet writing a native Mac client anyway.

Yeah, I know. That’s why I thought the bit at the end of the 64-bit client announcement about “hopefully having an ETA for releasing a Mac version soon” (or whatever it said) was so interesting… Seems like they’d either say the OS X client will always be 32-bit or not mention it at all, unless they know something we don’t.

I wonder if there’s a compiler flag for not using the register(s) in question? Hmm… That’d solve the one issue, but I’m not sure how many others there might be.

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

they only fix the client when they fix the windows version and by miracle it applies to our wrapper as well

It’s not “by miracle”, it’s just that there’s not much they can do to fix bugs caused by Cider itself.

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

I wonder if there’s a compiler flag for not using the register(s) in question? Hmm… That’d solve the one issue, but I’m not sure how many others there might be.

Whilst I’m by no means an expert on the subject, my understanding is that it’s not so much that Wine needs that register, but rather that applications written for Windows in general do. It’s not really a problem on Linux since Linux doesn’t touch the register in question anyway, but OS X does. Apple could in theory release an update to the OS X kernel which changes this but it’d then risk breaking compatibility with OS X applications that expect things to be the way they are now.

Posted by: lushy.5310

lushy.5310

I love this game. Really do. Been playing it for long with several Mac (we work in a Publicity Agency and we have many around).

However, the current experience for Anet’s customers that play GW2 in a Mac is really painful (even, exasperating).

Right now, we can’t not even repeat the HoT story with an alt because it crashes at any final cinematic. Not to mention that we crash every single day that we kill the dragon , at the DS metavent, just when the final cinematic starts.

We (we are several friends playing in Mac) have tried it in several Macs. In the office we have a wider range, including the very top Macs available nowadays. In all of them, the same problem.

We saw that similar problems were in a significant part solved with the Windows 64bit GW2 version.

Therefore, we would really appreciate if we could get the GW2 Mac 64bit version as soon as possible. Sorry to have to repeat it, but the experience of playing this lovely game is for us right now really frustrating.

Thanks

Posted by: blackbull.3651

blackbull.3651

I couldn’t agree more

same problems, same feelings

my upvote

please, Anet

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

I just want a working mac client, that performs like the windows one does. In boot camp I can play the game on max graphics perfectly fine and I never crash, on the mac side, I have to play with all graphics settings on low except for shaders and animation.

I really wish ANET would actually produce the client we all believed they had said we were getting, and not more empty promises.

At this point, I just want to play an MMO where it is made for my mac, hopefully it is GW2 because I love this game, but being ignored because you want a company to give you what they said they were going to give you, is just frustrating and disheartening.

Aazo.2841

Yeah.. thanks for the fresh bug tonight… your patches are always looked at by the mac community with trepidation… cus they always cause our client issues. And I am on my 6th restart since forced patch and still no luck. JOY!!.. <with heavy sarcasm>