Can we please get a working Mac Client [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: lushy.5310

lushy.5310

Anet,

Thousands of your customers (the ones who trusted you and bought your product: “GW2-Mac client”) are starting to be very upset with your all over the world.

You sold us a deficient product and you seem to ignore our complains.
This is something that Law takes very seriously in many countries around the world.

Posted by: Myst.9182

Myst.9182

I have waited 3 years for a working mac client that doesnt constantly crash for no reason.

Please fix.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Well congratulation, you fixed a crash but the game wont launch anymore or patch, the gw2 process just shuts down automatically.

kitten this kitten.

Posted by: WesleySnipes.3917

WesleySnipes.3917

I’ve given up. If they haven’t done anything in more than 3 years, they won’t do it now.
Some of the experienced mac users say there will never be a mac client as they have no money to invest in it. But a 200 thousand reward for pvp league they have to spare.

I call BS on all arguments for why ANet still hasn’t given anything worth the money we paid for yet. They do have the money, they just won’t waste it on a smaller portion of their customers.

“Windows has a working client and mac doesn’t have a client at all? I know the solution, let’s invest our money and manpower on another windows client!”
kitten ANET!

They are falsely advertising a product that in 3 years had 0 progress.
ANet is by far the worst company I unfortunately crossed paths with.
A great game in the hands of a terrible money stealing scammers.

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

Clever clever…

On-Topic: Game still crashes. OOM errors each time.

I’ve been tweaking my Wine-staging GW2 build for a while now, but I cannot seem to get rid of the graphics glitches. They seem to occur in tandem with glowing and lighting effects, of which GW2 has a TON, so there is a constant garble of flashing, distorted environmental models, and other graphical messes that makes the game nearly unplayable. These glitches do not seem to affect the UI, Inventory Box, or options windows.

Furthermore, wine-staging apparently cannot not use the 64-bit windows client, so I am not sure that, even if I somehow fix the graphics problem, it will last any longer than the Mac client as it is now.

All of which is very unfortunate, because it seems to otherwise be the most stable. Looking online, I can find nothing about this particular problem.

Native Wine stopped working as of yesterday’s patch. So it was the best option until then.

I have to say, It’s kinda crummy that I’m looking into these sorts of options for a game advertised to me with a mac client. But until Cider comes in 64-bit, or until ANet comes out with a native client, I’m not sure what we can do.

Really sucks to hear

I was hoping that Wine-Staging would have the same performance / effect on Mac as it does on Linux.

Just to be clear, did you compile the Wine-Staging build from source or downloaded the pre built one? On the official website I could only find builds for 32bit so that may be the reason why the 64bit client can’t run.

Additionally if your Wine configuration has the 2 folders named “Program Files (x86)” and “Program Files” that means you have a 64bit Wine profile (which also supports 32bit). But if there’s only “Program Files” that means it’s 32bit only.

As a Linux user I wasn’t far behind Macs with the 32bit build of the game, I could do events and play the game but was forced to restart every 45mins or so because the Virtual Memory would fill up and crash the game. The 64bit client now uses even up to 5GB VM and doesn’t crash.

If ANet could at least fix up the graphics issues from Wine-Staging and build a 64bit version, that might restore a big chunk of playability for Macs

Regarding 64-bit, it’s very unlikely that it’ll ever work on OS X due to the way in which the OS X ABI handles CPU registers. In a nutshell, OS X uses a CPU register that Windows applications expect to be able to use.

What this means is it is not currently possible to build Wine x64 on OS X and unfortunately it probably won’t ever be, short of virtualising a CPU in QEMU or having Wine intercept requests to this register (which would murder performance).

There is currently a project where they are testing Wine with the CPU register outright disabled and it works well with some software, not so well with others.

We’ll see.

Posted by: ananda.5946

ananda.5946

We got windows to be able to play gw2. Ironically, we rarely play GW2 anymore since getting windows. With the direct x os, we can play and spend money on other games instead and that’s what we’re doing. It’s funny since they sort of had mac users as a captive audience since there is so little support out there for mac on fun games, but forcing us into bootcamp if we want to play has had the unintended consequence of giving us more choice and other outlets for our gaming entertainment money.

And, I hate having to boot into windows to play games. What a terrible os! Would love it if this mac client was fixed. I guess that won’t happen any time soon, though. They really should change their support page to no longer list mac as a supported platform at this point since there is no communication and no timeline for any fixes.

Posted by: ypy.2865

ypy.2865

So… any news about the MAC client? I still crash in DS and is not fun at all doing the whole event and crashing at the end…

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

Regarding 64-bit, it’s very unlikely that it’ll ever work on OS X due to the way in which the OS X ABI handles CPU registers. In a nutshell, OS X uses a CPU register that Windows applications expect to be able to use.

Right… That’s why you’d have to recompile the app, and anything that it links with, using a compiler set to output the OS X ABI. AFAIK, unless you’re using assembly somewhere, the actual register usage is determined by the compiler.

Posted by: Vermox.9708

Vermox.9708

Yesterday I installed an new 21.5 inch iMac with retina display and in every (!) large event (Tequatel, Tarir, WVW zerks) I suffer crashes. Up to yestarday I used an 2011er iMac which was much more stabily running.

So, I also advocate for a better Mac-client performance.

WesleySnipes.3917

I too play a lot less gw2 now. The “client” instability is an absolute killjoy

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Yesterday I installed an new 21.5 inch iMac with retina display and in every (!) large event (Tequatel, Tarir, WVW zerks) I suffer crashes. Up to yestarday I used an 2011er iMac which was much more stabily running.

So, I also advocate for a better Mac-client performance.

Your 2011 iMac had a dedicated GPU (all old imacs had dedicated GPUs). The new 21.5 inch iMacs only have Intel integrated GPUs. So yeah, unfortunately while your new machine is in some ways far superior, it isn’t necessarily an all around upgrade. Your new machine has less graphics power for the game to work with, which is going to put a lot more strain on the CPU. In most cases this isn’t going to be a problem whatsoever and the CPU will handle things just fine, but for gaming, and especially for something like GW2, losing that dedicated GPU is going to have a negative impact on your experience.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Anyone else having Mouse Wheel problems?
My mouse Wheel stopped working since yesterday’s patch.

The mouse itself works, it’s only in GW2.

Edit: Well this really sucks. I’ve tried everything including deleting my config file. WTF.

Edit2: Nevermind it’s the last update that just reset all my settings.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594

Wow. I’ve not looked at anything in two weeks minimum, and not much has improved….

Posted by: bubblewrap.4987

bubblewrap.4987

Mouse wheel not working since the patch

Posted by: KeairaPhoenix.6123

KeairaPhoenix.6123

Mouse wheel not working is connected to the resetting options glitch. You have to go back into options every time you relog and untick “scroll gestures,” then your mouse wheel will work again.

But on topic, I stopped by the thread to see if I could finally upgrade my OS from 10.8.5 – sadly, I guess the answer is still no.

Posted by: TheSoulTkr.6928

TheSoulTkr.6928

Can we get metal api support for the macs that can support it maybe? this would give macs a much needed performance boost by moving a lot of the graphical processing directly to GPUs or dedicated GPUs if the mac supports one.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Can we get metal api support for the macs that can support it maybe? this would give macs a much needed performance boost by moving a lot of the graphical processing directly to GPUs or dedicated GPUs if the mac supports one.

That’s up to Cider. Now if you are asking for this for a native client, well you got to get ANet interested in doing a native port.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vermox.9708

Vermox.9708

Your 2011 iMac had a dedicated GPU (all old imacs had dedicated GPUs). The new 21.5 inch iMacs only have Intel integrated GPUs. So yeah, unfortunately while your new machine is in some ways far superior, it isn’t necessarily an all around upgrade. Your new machine has less graphics power for the game to work with, which is going to put a lot more strain on the CPU. In most cases this isn’t going to be a problem whatsoever and the CPU will handle things just fine, but for gaming, and especially for something like GW2, losing that dedicated GPU is going to have a negative impact on your experience.

Perhaps you earn your money with computer hardware and do know a lot more than me.

But I don’t think so. Clearly dedicated (vs integrated) GPU does not mean that per se it is better. From all that I can see those who analysed GPU performances found the “Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200” superior to the older dedecated one in the iMac 2011.

The quality of the of the graphic – as long as the computer does not crash – on the new Mac ist good (better than on a window laptop with Gforce 860M).

I thought that GW2 does not use GPU intensively but requires a lot of CPU power. Clearely the new Mac is far superior in this regard and has lots more ram.

The Mac crashes with GW2 after a while even when graphically the situation seems not demanding. I therefore assume that the program has some issues with something other that GPU-power.

(edited by Vermox.9708)

FlamingFoxx.1305

Perhaps you earn your money with computer hardware and do know a lot more than me.

But I don’t think so. Clearly dedicated (vs integrated) GPU does not mean that per se it is better. From all that I can see those who analysed GPU performances found the “Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200” superior to the older dedecated one in the iMac 2011.

The quality of the of the graphic – as long as the computer does not crash – on the new Mac ist good (better than on a window laptop with Gforce 860M).

I thought that GW2 does not use GPU intensively but requires a lot of CPU power. Clearely the new Mac is far superior in this regard and has lots more ram.

The Mac crashes with GW2 after a while even when graphically the situation seems not demanding. I therefore assume that the program has some issues with something other that GPU-power.

I understand what you’re saying and you’re for the most part correct. However, the integrated Intel GPU’s don’t have any VRAM of their own, which means they’re sharing with the CPU’s RAM. In an already CPU intensive game that becomes a problem, because suddenly the graphics card doesn’t have its own RAM to fall back on. So while the integrated cards are in some respects more capable than the dedicated ones in the older macs, for example doing video or photo editing is going to work a lot better, its just not great for, or designed for, gaming. You could argue that a mac isn’t designed for gaming in the first place, but the lack of a dedicated GPU is a serious drawback.

Posted by: mikeew.8607

mikeew.8607

The reason Anet hasn’t fixed this is to be quite honest they haven’t got a clue. They are not the ones whom created the mac client to begin with. They outsourced just like when you call any number of tech support numbers and get some indian named dave. They used a company known as cider wrapper it is a completely different dev team altogether. They were bought out by I believe razer or some other company nvidia maybe. Either way its like that tech support moving to russia and now you’ve got the guy from those credit card commercials you know the one this is peggy. What Anet should have done is done their homework if they were going to go the lazy route and not make a native client and use aspyr as they are great with Mac client game porting. They do amazing work. Either way we are at a point where I am quite certain Anet has no idea what to do. The issue we are suffering from is a memory leak seemingly. You can tell this at least for me because I have 32 yet the game will freeze for just a second it is in this second the memory leak occurs and the client crashes due to an OOM or out of memory issue. I am finally to the point were I am just waiting for the next best thing and will never in the future trust this company with my time or money it is a lesson learned on my part as they have seen this thread grow and grow and it has been barren of any real support from them or indications that they are working to resolve our issues. Instead we see patch after patch that they introduce new shiny objects to the gem store or Windows based fixes. If you step back and look you can see where their priorities lay which is sad because based on this single thread there is a huge Mac client base that purchased this game on this basis that it was going to support it and one day leave the beta stage. I know we are not allowed to speak to legal things in this forum but hypothetically I wonder what would be the outcome of a class action lawsuit against them if all Mac or even just a large portion of them gathered and sought legal repercussions for anets lack of any real support in this matter. Again this is just hypothetical wondering not a threat in any way.

FlamingFoxx.1305

What Anet should have done is done their homework if they were going to go the lazy route and not make a native client and use aspyr as they are great with Mac client game porting. They do amazing work.

Aspyr is by no means a better option. A lot of their ports have gotten a bad response because they weren’t very well done, they’ve ended up pushing back release dates a number of times, and they have absolutely no experience porting an MMO which would require constant alterations, something they’re not likely to be able to do with the speed that Arenanet would need. They chose cider specifically because it shouldn’t require them to make any/many alterations for each update they push to work on both Windows and OSX. The reality of course is that the mac client is rubbish, but they still went with the best option. Well no, the best option would have been a native port, but that’s something they decided against. It’s important to note that around the time of release Anet would only have just been beginning to turn a profit, they wouldn’t have been in a position to hire a mac dev team so they went with the next best option.

They should be in a reasonably stable position now though… And it would definitely be in their interest to have a dedicated mac team. Native client or not.

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

bump in the hopes of maybe getting a response from anet.

Posted by: Toushiro.3708

Toushiro.3708

Come on Anet, respond already! I wonder if they read this or perhaps threads/posts with “mac” gets filtered away.

You really start to appreciate the game when you spend 1.5 hours doing Dragon’s Stand meta, only to see it crash at last moment…(3rd time, 2nd day trying) AND after you try to rejoin your squad it just … wait for it.. yeah, gives you another error.

“Game crashed for random reason & kitten you!” < Should be there as an error message. Honest information for once.

Acknowledge and fix the mess, 3year and going.. sad joke.
Why am I still playing this?

HippieJoel.9537

Can we make this a bit more constructive? Anet clearly have no intention (at least not publicly) of improving the situation, so why don’t we instead talk about ways we can improve the situation for ourselves, the players?

For example, does anyone know which Wine versions work best? Which configuration options? Is it worth running the game in a virtual machine? AMD vs Nvidia on OS X performance?

Regarding an anet response, they’ve already responded on the first page. The response wasn’t helpful but at least they didn’t lie – quite simply said they know the Cider port isn’t the best but they’ll try to make it run a bit better if they can. Unfortunately Cider isn’t being actively developed anymore so it’s unlikely the Mac port will get any updates in the future unless Anet can get someone else to develop something similar.

Posted by: HDL.3471

HDL.3471

Perhaps I’m just lucky, the game hasn’t crashed at all for me apart from the launcher a couple times.

Without a native port the game has to rely on CPU interpreting which is very taxing and slow. The game uses 40-50% total CPU for me whereas most others use 10-20%. Tried the game with Wine 1.7.52 and then again with 1.9.0 and CPU usage is a bit better, but overall performance is far worse. I have heard using Wine Staging gives far better results but I have yet to try it.

Posted by: rem.2537

rem.2537

I keep getting the: The application “Guild Wars 2” is not open anymore." error.
I resolved it last night after clean uninstalling and reinstalling TWICE in a row (first time didn’t resolve anything so I tried it again).

I left it to update while I slept, played it this morning, and then closed it to go do some house work and other things.

Guess what? Error is back. Go figure.

I don’t want to do a clean uninstall and reinstall every time I want to play!

Fix this or reimburse your MAC customers in some way.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Rem, this might be the same problem in this thread. Check out the fix by FlamingFox. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Trouble-Opening-GW2-on-iMac-27/first#post5875316

Posted by: rem.2537

rem.2537

I’ve already done that, and after repeating it twice it worked (as stated in my original post) and then it occurs all over again as soon as I leave the game and try to go back to it.

Thank you anyways though. :c

HDL.3471

I have heard using Wine Staging gives far better results but I have yet to try it.

Got around to trying this (with CSMT on). Saw absolutely no difference compared to normal Wine.

I keep getting the: The application “Guild Wars 2” is not open anymore." error.

I got this a couple times when quitting the game and trying to restart it soon after. What’s happening is that when GW2 runs there are two processes, one simply called Guild Wars 2 and another called cider. When this happened to me, the cider process was still running. Opening Activity Monitor and force quitting cider allowed me to start the game properly again.

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

Tried Elder scrolls out just because they have a native client, the client works so bloody well, but sadly i don’t care for their game. So it is very possible to have a very good “native” mac client for gw2, i know it is not gonna happen or even get a response, but just throwing that info out there.

Posted by: Azerthas.5802

Azerthas.5802

The poor performance of the client is really the only thing that puts me off from playing this otherwise amazing game.

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

Tried Elder scrolls out just because they have a native client, the client works so bloody well, but sadly i don’t care for their game. So it is very possible to have a very good “native” mac client for gw2, i know it is not gonna happen or even get a response, but just throwing that info out there.

The engine For Elder Scrolls supports OpenGL and so does Mac OSX.

Guild Wars 2 only supports Direct X. Unless the engine is re-written to support OpenGL there won’t be a “Native” Client. Considering the years of development and testing that went in producing this game on an engine that only supports Direct X, I do not see any point in wishful thinking that there will ever be Native Mac support. Especially since people are still holding out for DX10/11 update 3 years later.

The best and only foreseeable option for Mac users is to get a copy of windows and bootcamp.

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Posted by: angelkiss.7416

angelkiss.7416

Guild Wars 2 only supports Direct X. Unless the engine is re-written to support OpenGL there won’t be a “Native” Client. Considering the years of development and testing that went in producing this game on an engine that only supports Direct X, I do not see any point in wishful thinking that there will ever be Native Mac support. Especially since people are still holding out for DX10/11 update 3 years later.

The best and only foreseeable option for Mac users is to get a copy of windows and bootcamp.

How true Nitro…. you just have to wonder when choosing the development path for such a game, at the onset… what kind of moron would choose a dev path that locks you into windows only, when the option existed to be able to deploy to both platforms from the beginning…

HDL.3471

Tons of game developers initially supported Direct3D only and later ported their games natively to OS X (and Linux for that matter) with OpenGL. There is nothing preventing Anet from doing the necessary research and making a proper port other than lack of initiative to do it the right way.

And by the way, everyone knows that dual booting is an option. The point is that it’s not and never should be the answer. If people on OS X wanted to use Windows to begin with then this discussion wouldn’t be a thing.

(edited by HDL.3471)

Posted by: FotoGrrl.8137

FotoGrrl.8137

The patch did indeed help however still crashing in high pop areas or meta events. If Im lucky i can complete the AB meta without crashing but as for DS, forget it. I cant do a complete run without crashing and fighting to get back to my map. I always run in a party so that in the event when I crash i can try to get to my map instance I was on. Now if I crash at the end of DS and i try to get back to my map instance i get a “network connection error please check your network connection” message. Its strange because I was able to do the HoT finale with no problems but anything else is out of the question

WesleySnipes.3917

If bootcamp is the answer there wouldn’t be no complains because mac users bought the game knowing they would only have it performing well on windows. That’s not the case.
They continue to advertise “mac client” which is a bait for more unfortunate mac users that will later on be forced to bootcamp if they want to continue to feed their addiction.

I gave up on ANet and gw2, it’s sad because the only mmo that i enjoyed this much was WoW, which runs smoothly on mac.
Like Lews said, i’ve tried ESO because it runs like a proper client should, not like this sad excuse to steal our money.

I regret 300% in buying this product (100% being my time, another 100% buying the original game when they announced the client and the other 100% being the expansion) silly me right? thinking that after 3 years and an expension they would actually heal this cancer

Posted by: Mitha.7039

Mitha.7039

More Mac Client Problems: Running client normally produces an empty invisible window that cannot be interacted with and the game never runs. If I run repair on it, it’ll finally load up and work properly, but I have to run repair just to run the kitten game.
Rig: iMac 14,2 running OS 10.11.2, with the NVIDIA GeForce GT755M 1024 mb VRAM

Sylvari roleplayers and fangirls: We’re suckers for the underdog…

mikeew.8607

Maybe Anet thinks if we just shut up and let this thread get buried then they don’t have to answer for the lack of support. I am frankly fed up and done with ever supporting this company in the future. I don’t care if they put out the best game in the world they will never get another single cent out of me. Until we Mac users are acknowledged and given a voice and heard.

mikeew.8607

Maybe Anet just figures they will let this thread get buried and not have to give us any response. It is truly a despicable way that they have just ignored this thread in general. I am frankly done with giving this company any of my money in the future until these issues are addressed.

Posted by: Aazo.2841

Aazo.2841

Well if Anet was seriously considering writing a native mac variant, it would behoove them to look at METAL. Here is a link from Apple explaining a little about it.

https://developer.apple.com/metal/

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

But it wouldn’t be like starting from scratch. They already have the game up and running. It would be converting it from one platform to the other and then updating it and maintaining it.

I have to admit, I know nothing about the expense involved though I know any sort of IT programming can be expensive. I also have no idea how many of their customers use the Mac either but a bit of self-indulgence is good for the soul.

If ANet is planning on GW2 running at least for the next 10 years, it might be not be so outrageous to do a Mac version.

Posted by: Moesmaker.9581

Moesmaker.9581

Yesterday the State of the Game Update was posted on the website. A lot of things to get excited about.

It makes me sad that there wasn’t one single word about the problems with the Mac client.

What is the use of all these great new features when the game crashes unexpectedly and often?

Posted by: Nikasaur.4713

Nikasaur.4713

still cant download client because of coherentUI host crash on my mac, thought that after a year this might be fixed(((

HippieJoel.9537

More Mac Client Problems: Running client normally produces an empty invisible window that cannot be interacted with and the game never runs. If I run repair on it, it’ll finally load up and work properly, but I have to run repair just to run the kitten game.
Rig: iMac 14,2 running OS 10.11.2, with the NVIDIA GeForce GT755M 1024 mb VRAM

Out of curiosity, do you have dual monitors? I’ve had the same problem with my own setup but I have three monitors + a projector. If I mirror all displays and then start the game it works. I can then disable mirroring again.

My setup is a hackintosh (system definition is iMac 14,2) with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB VRAM.

Also have you tried with PlayOnMac or WineSkin?

HippieJoel.9537

Yesterday the State of the Game Update was posted on the website. A lot of things to get excited about.

It makes me sad that there wasn’t one single word about the problems with the Mac client.

What is the use of all these great new features when the game crashes unexpectedly and often?

I feel you, I scanned through that article really hoping for an update. I really don’t want to run Windows so it’s frustrating that there’s this one game that I love.

I really hope one day Guild Wars 2 can switch to eON as opposed to Cider, seeing as how development has now stopped.

eON is a huge improvement – games such as Saints Row IV are using it on Linux and running wonderfully. I may consider switching to Linux at some point but music production prevents me right now.

Posted by: Inazuma.6107

Inazuma.6107

I’m waiting for LLVM 3.8, since it will ship some features that allow to compile the 64bit wine-staging version on OSX. Maybe we are lucky and GW2 doesn’t end up using the incompatible register (some applications don’t).

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

Unfortunately, it seems some game developers are running away from the Mac, it looks as if “game days on Macs are over”. Unfortunately Metal isn’t helping since even Epic Games themselves are having major issues porting their engine to this API. Apparently it is full of bugs and problems that prevent AAA games to use it. On the other hand, Apple has absolutely no interest in updating its OpenGL API. Not only it is old but it is also seriously underperforming.

I am typing this on Safari on my Mac. So I am on the same boat with you guys that want a decent working OS X client. As someone else said earlier, Aspyr or Feral aren’t ideal for this because they can’t keep up with the required client updates. And ANet requires immediate changes (they force you to update the client in 1 hour, everyone should have seen the message already). Not to mention that Aspyr has been dropping the ball lately and they blame Apple complete neglect with graphics APIs on their platform, same as Epic. The other Mac darling (Blizzard) is ALSO leaving the platform. Blizzard was the one example for all game developers on how to create decent games on Macs. So they are no more, Overwatch is Windows only and Blizzard officially stated Apple’s neglect with OpenGL and Metal serious bug/problems (same as Epic and Aspyr). So… we’re doomed unless:
- Vulkan really comes out
- Apple implements Vulkan on OS X
- ANet updates their engine to support a true modern and platform free API (remember DX11 and DX12 are locked at Windows 7 and Windows 10 versions! Vulkan can run even on Windows XP)

Posted by: FotoGrrl.8137

FotoGrrl.8137

Ive given up trying to play on my mac. A friend saw how much I love to play GW2 and gave me their old pc to use.

Moesmaker.9581

Bump. This thread is too important to be ignored

Moesmaker.9581

But to be more specific: I love to play GW2. So I login, play for a while and then the game suddenly crashes. No error message, nothing. The usual drill: login, play, sudden crash. Then I get fed up with it and stop playing for a few days. Then I get tempted to play again, login, play, sudden crash, rinse and repeat.

GW2 is the ONLY game on my mac that crashes often and unexpectedly. Just saying.