Posted by: Moesmaker.9581

Moesmaker.9581

Great to hear there is progression!

(edited by Moesmaker.9581)

Can we please get a working Mac Client [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

We can login and see some graphics. Physics is the next major step.

Thank you so much for keeping us updated.

With this in mind, can you please send me an address to mail my future first born son to as payment for your good deeds?

That sounds very basic, like there might be a long way to go, but either way, I’m really glad people (or at least someone) are working on it!

Thank you!

Yes and no. It’s important to manage expectations but in all honesty I’d say getting the graphical side of things sorted is arguably the biggest challenge to overcome.

I think you’ll be waiting a while still but the fact that they’ve gotten this far is looking very optimistic for the future.

(edited by HippieJoel.9537)

Posted by: Olga.8207

Olga.8207

When this next major step is expected? I’m also suffering from mac client… Always kicked out from the game in case of big crowds. The only way around – temporary put graph settings to ‘best performance’ option. Graphics become really awfull but at least I can get loots from Tequatl or Tarir for example.
I also don’t want to install windows on my imac but seems it is the only option to contunue play this game

(edited by Olga.8207)

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

Thank you very much for the update! We still have big hopes ^^

Talék

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Speaking of graphics, I wonder if they spotted or not, if you see the map grid lines we Mac Beta players see whilst in indoor areas like caves or the throne room? They’re one of the few minor irritations I have of the Mac Beta! >.<

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: posei.9248

posei.9248

It’s been two days I can’t open the Mac launcher. Tried all the fixes people with my problem proposed, nothing does the trick. Even upgraded to El Capitan to see if anything would change, but nope.

Posted by: Rex.6954

Rex.6954

Same as posei.9248.
The update has now rendered the client non-responsive after all the tips given on repair etc. still no joy.
Put in a ticket 2210394: Client will not launch, and still nothing from Anet.
Clearly they don’t want my money that I spend in game…this is not good for the brand, not good at all.

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

Yay! Thanks for letting us know :-)

Posted by: IRISHlongbow.4960

IRISHlongbow.4960

Today within 30 minutes my “Mac Client” crashed 3 times. Are you guys working on anything to help us Mac users until the official Mac Client is released? As of right now I cannot even make progress in HoT content because my client crashes so frequently.

Posted by: WesleySnipes.3917

WesleySnipes.3917

Oh boy. How do i say this…?
Don’t bother? It won’t come out in another 2 years or so (being lucky) I lost faith myself. The client should’ve been ready for ages. The game was released in 2012 for crying out loud. Only now, after 4 years of selling this crap to mac users they decided it was time to start looking into an actual client.

Anyways. Don’t bother, won’t come out this year or the year after that.
I’d suggest you found a game studio that actually listen to its fanbase and more importantly, when they announce a mac client, it’s an actual client. lol

penelopehannibal.8947

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Count Lifebane.7301

Count Lifebane.7301

Today within 30 minutes my “Mac Client” crashed 3 times. Are you guys working on anything to help us Mac users until the official Mac Client is released? As of right now I cannot even make progress in HoT content because my client crashes so frequently.

Dragon stand is useless for Mac users… everytime 3-4 server disconnects and always at the final attack against Mordremoth , then of course no reconnect possible to get the boss loot, which at that time, over an hour has been wasted. All maps in HOT cause numerous disconnects on the Mac, especially during the Metas. I know it only happens on Macs due to my PC usage plus Mac usage by my spouse. I stay connected the whole time (on PC), spouse disconnected (on Mac)

I guess to get proper response for Mac client, we will be boycotting Gem purchases for PC and Mac, while we wait for the Mac client to be repaired.

(edited by Count Lifebane.7301)

Posted by: posei.9248

posei.9248

Dude it’s been a week that the Mac client doesn’t even work on my computer anymore. The only times where I can play is when my brother is not using his Win10 laptop. And the only help the support has given me is “ask your constructor for the graphic card’s drivers”. Yeah sure, Apple is going to give me and only me update for Intel HD Graphics when I’ve just upgraded to El Capitan a few days ago without any change…

Posted by: psyt.9415

psyt.9415

Why didnt you guys chose Vulcan or Metal or something future proof? By the time this native OpenGL client comes out WoW and everyone else will be moved to low overhead APIs and Anet will be behind the times again just like with directx 9. Guess I shouldnt be complaining but I wonder why Anet never takes the time to be more future proof , if your doing it anyway why not do it on the API that gets more performance. OpenGL on OSX is still a version or two behind and with apple creating Metal I have a feeling it will be depricated on OSX.

(edited by psyt.9415)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Why didnt you guys chose Vulcan or Metal or something future proof? By the time this native OpenGL client comes out WoW and everyone else will be moved to low overhead APIs and Anet will be behind the times again just like with directx 9. Guess I shouldnt be complaining but I wonder why Anet never takes the time to be more future proof , if your doing it anyway why not do it on the API that gets more performance. OpenGL on OSX is still a version or two behind and with apple creating Metal I have a feeling it will be depricated on OSX.

Metal was never intended to be for larger complex games. It’s supposed to offer developers a language that will allow them to create games equivalent to iOS games for OSX. OpenGL is far more future proof than Vulcan or Metal.

Posted by: IRISHlongbow.4960

IRISHlongbow.4960

Dude it’s been a week that the Mac client doesn’t even work on my computer anymore. The only times where I can play is when my brother is not using his Win10 laptop. And the only help the support has given me is “ask your constructor for the graphic card’s drivers”. Yeah sure, Apple is going to give me and only me update for Intel HD Graphics when I’ve just upgraded to El Capitan a few days ago without any change…

That sucks man! Hopefully they’ll fix things soon so you won’t have to keep stealing your brother’s computer away! :P

Posted by: Cyhleen.2501

Cyhleen.2501

Thanks for letting us know.

HippieJoel.9537

OS X doesn’t support Vulkan so that’s not an option.

Metal is OS X specific but only works on OS X, isn’t nearly as well supported as OpenGL and finding developers who know it (especially within their existing staff) is going to be difficult and expensive.

OpenGL works on OS X, Windows and Linux now (unlike Vulkan which doesn’t work on OS X and still lacks driver support in some cases on other platforms) and would also allow ArenaNet to later make a native Linux port if they want to.

That and, my understanding is they already had a more-or-less working OpenGL renderer from the console port that never shipped, so it makes a lot of sense to build upon that for the upcoming Mac port.

OpenGL is a couple of versions behind on OS X, yes, but this is slowly improving and I don’t think Apple are going to ditch it any time soon – it’d break just about everything.

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

Metal was never intended to be for larger complex games. It’s supposed to offer developers a language that will allow them to create games equivalent to iOS games for OSX. OpenGL is far more future proof than Vulcan or Metal.

It’s not a question of project “complexity”, Metal/Vulkan/DX12 are all lower-level APIs. They’re (theoretically) harder to work with, but will (theoretically) yield better results — particularly with regards to multi-threaded performance. My understanding is that OpenGL and versions of DX prior to 12 are part of why games tend to not use multiple cores very well.

While I’m disappointed that they chose to go with OpenGL (I’ve got eight cores, but they’re mostly unused even when my FPS drops to single-digits), I’m glad they’re working on a native OS X client, and I understand that it’s not always easy to find someone to work with newer technologies. Especially if they already had an OpenGL port of the engine laying around.

(edited by BDave.9386)

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594

Bless you, sir. I might be able to login after two years…

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

Yah, I just hope it gets done this summer so I can try it out before the next term of school starts up… wishful thinking I know but I dream… Really hope some good progress gets made so I can play this on my mac again.

Posted by: KapteinKrisa.8053

KapteinKrisa.8053

I bough GW2 at the release in 2012. I’ve been av big fan since the first GW games.

I knew that GW2 were only playable on windows at the time, because there was no client for mac. I installed the game on windows through bootcamp on my iMac, and it worked perfectly fine!

When the mac client came out I was thrilled. Bootcamp was not needed anymore. The mac client worked perfectly and I could play for hours, and participate in events without problems.
The past two years, the game client has been quite troublesome. Its getting worse, and worse. It all started with WvW. It crashed during overflow. That was the only problem to begin with. After a while, I decided to reinstall the game. But the game client crashed every time i tried to install it. Fortunately, the problem solved itself and I could finally install the game. But my happiness was short. The game crashed even more than before. I though the new HoT expansion probably would solve the major issues with the mac client. But no…
Now I get disconnected, and the game quits itself during events. Which is very frustrating when your in a boss fight or doing events with lots of players.

FlamingFoxx.1305

I though the new HoT expansion probably would solve the major issues with the mac client. But no…
Now I get disconnected, and the game quits itself during events. Which is very frustrating when your in a boss fight or doing events with lots of players.

Not sure why you thought that
HoT is terribly optimised and also a whole lot more complex than central Tyria. So even people running windows have far far worse performance in HoT than they do everywhere else.

I do hope they do something soon though. It’s amazing that we’ve had problems with the OS X client for such a long time and they’re only beginning to do something about it.

HippieJoel.9537

Interestingly enough running the official Mac client now yields this:
Exception: 80000101
A serious error has occurred that prevented the application from continuing. A report has been sent to ArenaNet to help determine the cause.

Fortunately Wine still works.

penelopehannibal.8947

Every time I see this topic at the topic of the list, I hope Jon Olson has an update for us! But avast, there’s none yet.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

HippieJoel.9537

Every time I see this topic at the topic of the list, I hope Jon Olson has an update for us! But avast, there’s none yet.

Oh me too. I just mostly want to keep the issue alive and hopefully make ArenaNet aware that we’re still waiting.

Posted by: Kitten Commander.8952

Kitten Commander.8952

My client is just… broken, won’t even launch. I even re-downloaded it. Terminal client fix doesn’t seem to work anymore.

I’ve tried everything short of literally redownloading the game, which is huge and I’d rather not spend the bandwidth. Is there anything I might be missing?

Works fine on our PC, if that makes a difference. Just this Mac being a butt yet again.

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594

The best (temporary) fix I can suggest is something like CrossOver. A bit more stable than Wine, though it takes a bit of processing power. Stuff doesn’t look as pretty as it should, either, but I care about mechanics more than graphics.

Posted by: wcpemm.1497

wcpemm.1497

I’m also experiencing the issue where the launcher will not launch, or will only launch after a very long time. I’ve tried repairing, un/reinstalling, renaming gw2.exe and gw2.tmp, all completely without success. It is getting to the point where I don’t care enough to bother trying anymore, and it’s been like this for months. I’ve tried many permutations of Wine alternatives and none worked as well as the official client, despite many assurances of the contrary.

Very, very frustrated with the lack of support on this issue, especially since it seems to be affecting a lot of players.

Posted by: ruwani.8624

ruwani.8624

Same as above, my launcher refuses to launch. I’ve pressed the icon and waited hours but it doesn’t appear. I’ve also deleted and re-downloaded the client at least 5 times but not one attempt has worked.

Posted by: Toushiro.3708

Toushiro.3708

Same as above, my launcher refuses to launch. I’ve pressed the icon and waited hours but it doesn’t appear. I’ve also deleted and re-downloaded the client at least 5 times but not one attempt has worked.

Try killing the GW2 process via Activity Monitor, worked for me. Just select GW and click X icon on the left “Force process to quit”. Then wait a few seconds (game will disappear from activity list) and you can relaunch the game.
I don’t have this issue often but this does solved it for me, hope this helps.

Posted by: WesleySnipes.3917

WesleySnipes.3917

The only thing im able to do without constant errors or fps drops (obviously everything is running on low and fps set to 30 max) is Spvp

Posted by: ruwani.8624

ruwani.8624

Try killing the GW2 process via Activity Monitor, worked for me. Just select GW and click X icon on the left “Force process to quit”. Then wait a few seconds (game will disappear from activity list) and you can relaunch the game.
I don’t have this issue often but this does solved it for me, hope this helps.

Yup I’ve tried that several times and it still doesn’t work.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Have you guys cleared the GW2 application support folder in the user library?

HippieJoel.9537

If you have dual monitors, I found that for some reason having multiple monitors stops Guild Wars 2 from opening. Disconnect your second monitor, open Guild Wars 2 and reconnect it.

Posted by: Noschiii.6819

Noschiii.6819

If your launcher does not open it sometimes works if I got to Applications>Guild Wars 2 > Cider and launch Cider. Your game will still crash all the time but at least you can play for a few minutes

Posted by: wcpemm.1497

wcpemm.1497

For more adventurous/advanced users, for the last few days I have been using wine-staging to play the game, as detailed here. If you’re familiar with the terminal/wine it’s well worth a shot. My launcher now loads instantly.

Caveats: I have to play with my graphics almost as low as possible, and it does crash every hour or two. I also haven’t tested out any resources-intensive content yet, mostly just running through the world. However, it runs perfectly with windowed-borderless, which is so much nicer than the forced Mac options of complete fullscreen only or windowed.

Posted by: Inazuma.6107

Inazuma.6107

For more adventurous/advanced users, for the last few days I have been using wine-staging to play the game, as detailed here. If you’re familiar with the terminal/wine it’s well worth a shot. My launcher now loads instantly.

I wrote that reddit post. Since then I just reverted to the official client. wine-staging does appear to crash a little less. Maybe that’s placebo though.

I am now playing only PvP (those maps are very simple and don’t crash!) and other games. Just waiting for the native client so I can finally enjoy HoT maps , I will also avoid living world until then. Hopefully before xmas

(edited by Inazuma.6107)

HippieJoel.9537

I feel like it’s worth me saying, I genuinely love this game. I’ve been playing on and off since launch (despite being the most casual player in the universe) and I honestly can’t wait for the day that I can play this game on natively on my platform of choice.

Granted, I have complaints about every platform and I don’t like the direction Apple are headed in at all when it comes to desktop hardware, but OS X is wonderful and I can’t wait to be able to play Guild Wars 2 natively on it.

Inazuma.6107

I feel like it’s worth me saying, I genuinely love this game. I’ve been playing on and off since launch (despite being the most casual player in the universe) and I honestly can’t wait for the day that I can play this game on natively on my platform of choice.

Well, I’ve been playing Guild Wars 1/2 on and off since 2004! So I am quite a fan as well. Until HoT I used to run Dungeons and Fractals in highly organized parties (those maps are simple and don’t crash as well!), but alas – dungeons are dead and the reward structure of fotm is meh compared to old level 50. But I digress…

Apple direction is quite worrying, but I need a unix system to do my programming on that is not a disgrace to use. I’ve used Linux for years before OSX and god knows I don’t wanna go back.

Windows is not an option, even with GNU/kWindows

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Oh for a real mac client. I do not crash as much now but that is because I constantly leave my settings at the minimum. Yes, a very bad game experience but not a lot of options.

HippieJoel.9537

Apple direction is quite worrying, but I need a unix system to do my programming on that is not a disgrace to use. I’ve used Linux for years before OSX and god knows I don’t wanna go back.

Windows is not an option, even with GNU/kWindows

I know that feeling well. I’m a web developer so Windows really isn’t an option for me and having used Microsoft’s Windows Subsystem for Linux uh, yeah it’s pretty much unusable at this stage and even then performance isn’t by any means great.

That and at least from a web developer’s perspective it seems it’s much easier to get support and decent applications for OS X.

On the other side of things I make music and well, to put it one way – my audio interface doesn’t even have Windows drivers.

Right now I’ve added a second SSD to my system which I’m running Windows off for the times I want to play Guild Wars 2 – I haven’t actually played the game properly in far too long simply because it doesn’t run particularly well on OS X at all so it was nice to finally start playing it again.

Disclaimer: Apple’s direction on hardware doesn’t really affect me as I use a hackintosh.

Inazuma.6107

Disclaimer: Apple’s direction on hardware doesn’t really affect me as I use a hackintosh.

No I am actually worried about software.

Hackintosh does look great, I will probably get one, when I have to change my desktop next year. Looking forward to build some nice MicroATX config.

penelopehannibal.8947

This is a long shot I know (very long shot!), but any chance a Native Mac Client is being added to the Summer Quarterly Update?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

HippieJoel.9537

This is a long shot I know (very long shot!), but any chance a Native Mac Client is being added to the Summer Quarterly Update?

I’d love that myself but unfortunately I think that might be a bit optimistic. It sounds like they still have a way to go and I imagine they’d want to do a lot of quality assurance before they’d want to release it to the public. We can always dream though – Anet seem to have a track record for saying nothing for ages and then one day magically coming out with a release to surprise us all.

No I am actually worried about software.

Hackintosh does look great, I will probably get one, when I have to change my desktop next year. Looking forward to build some nice MicroATX config.

Can’t say I’d blame you for that – OS X is wonderful and my favourite OS by far but I’ll admit I do make a conscious effort not to get too stuck into Apple’s ecosystem should I decide to move away one day, as much as I love Logic Pro X (it really is a fantastic DAW).

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

I hope we can see any update from Anet soon

Talék

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I was thinking or reinstalling the game, but then remembered how it used to crash all the time in WvW even at minimum settings.

So I think I’ll wait for that new mac client.

Posted by: Toushiro.3708

Toushiro.3708

This may not be the right thread to ask, but perhaps there’s someone who has experienced the same thing.

I’ve been playing GW2 since the release on my Mac and recently I decided to try in on a Windows machine and I can’t get along with the controls. I can’t use my mouse (left button, while holding it to point etc) for character movement/directions as I used to. I never paid much attention to it but it seems that Mac beta has some additional settings which Windows version does not, see attached screenshot:

When playing on my Mac I used only the left mouse button to point direction and use it in combat. The right mouse button was rarely used.
So right now I’m forced to use both buttons instead. I tried searching for some fix or settings configuration, could not find anything useful except suggestions to macro keys on my mouse. Unfortunately my mouse does not have that kind of software.

I thought maybe someone of the Mac games who switched to a PC has experienced the same thing and found a solution.
It might also be that I have been playing with the wrong controls/settings this whole time xD.

Thanks!

TL;DR
Is it possible to get same mouse (LMB) configuration on Windows client as on Mac beta?

Attachments:

(edited by Toushiro.3708)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Well I just reinstalled the game after 6 months and wow the framerate on Mac is just abysmal.

All settings minimum I remember getting 45 fps once in WvW, now it barely reaches 20 if I stare at a flat wall near spawn.

What happened to this game performance on mac?

HippieJoel.9537

Well I just reinstalled the game after 6 months and wow the framerate on Mac is just abysmal.

All settings minimum I remember getting 45 fps once in WvW, now it barely reaches 20 if I stare at a flat wall near spawn.

What happened to this game performance on mac?

Definitely try tweaking settings – if you turn off shadows / lower shaders I find that helps substantially.

What happened? Not sure honestly. I’d be curious to test the game on Mavericks since some claim Yosemite / El Capitan may have affected it but I’m not entirely sure.

I do know the HoT zones run particularly badly but that’s mostly just because they are by their very nature quite intensive zones. Even on Windows I get less FPS than central Tyria but of course 90fps vs 60fps for the HoT zones is still perfectly playable vs say, 40fps vs 10fps on OS X.

Something that does actually concern me about the work-in-progress new Mac client for Guild Wars 2 is that I suspect it probably won’t give the performance that people are hoping it will. The simple fact is that OS X isn’t as optimised for games as Windows. Even native ports on OS X don’t run as well as you would want them to.

For example, WoW I found consistently gave about half the performance on OS X as it does on Windows in some of the newer zones, despite being a native port.

I can’t help but suspect that the issue isn’t so much the translation but the lack of optimisation for gaming on OS X itself.

Of course, I do hope that I’m wrong and that maybe WoW for example just isn’t well optimised but it doesn’t seem likely. CineBench for example, a benchmark widely regarded as well optimised for OS X still gives 20-30% less performance compared to Windows on the same hardware.

For this reason, I wouldn’t be too surprised if the native OS X client never gets released, simply because ArenaNet might find themselves unable to meet people’s expectations. Obviously I hope that doesn’t happen – I’d be over the moon to have a native OS X client but I wouldn’t rule out that happening. On the other hand, a native OS X client (and one that’s running off the same codebase as the Windows one) would still be better than anything TransGaming can offer.