Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Forum bug.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Can we please get a working Mac Client [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Xephon.7803

Xephon.7803

I bought the Ultimate edition and now is regretting GW2 doesn’t work reliably on Mac. Less than responsive technical support is a big put off for me. I must say Blizzard’s technical support is just awesome, quick and very professional. They even have in-game support in toons! I guess this is the price we pay for such non-subscription model like GW2. Or is the Mac Community treated as 2nd class i.e. this group of customers is not important, not worth it?

Anet made a lot of effort winning me over from Blizzard which I have been with them for more than 10 years. I played nothing else but Blizzard products. HOWEVER, now I have 2nd thoughts. Such a shame…

(edited by Xephon.7803)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

^^^ Unfortunately it appears the current Mac beta for almost 4 years now client is not something Anet can fix. The company that provided the cider port was acquired by NVIDIA. So, sort of like this forum that also can’t be fixed because Anet no longer works with the company that made the forum, the Mac beta for almost 4 years is in the same boat. Transgaming, the company that made the cider port was taken over by NVIDIA.

The good news, at least on the surface, is that Anet is working on a native Mac client. Updates on the progress are few and far between but there is at least some hope that they will complete it.

Maybe Anet needs to be more careful in the future who they partner with given the company that made the broken forums they can’t work with and the company that made the broken Mac beta cider client they can no longer work with. Of course I don’t think Anet could have predicted the NVIDIA takeover. That said it was a poorly supported client from day one. The only quick fixes to the Mac beta client I ever saw over the years was when Mac beta customers could not access the gem store. Anet sorted that out within a few days. But to be fair that was still when it was with Transgaming.

While waiting for the native Mac client I’d suggest bootcamp Windows if you can. I finally gave in and it is like night and day as far as performance. I only use it to play GW2.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: ananda.5946

ananda.5946

How are you guys still selling the Mac version? You know it barely functions and you know you can’t fix any of the many critical issues.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147936-Guild-Wars-2-Mac-Edition

I appreciate the position you were in with Transgaming, but that situation occurred a long time ago now and, with no solution in place for over a year, it is not honest to continue advertising GW2 as working in OS X. It’s not like people who are deceived by this won’t notice. You could change the Mac support page to suggest Bootcamp for now with the hope of a native client potentially being released at some unknown future date. But, to keep up a description of a Mac beta client that isn’t even supported anymore is highly dishonest and not the way to endear the company to OS X users.

I am curious; is this native client effort a serious one with a dedicated team or a sort of side project when people aren’t busy doing other things? I am so sick of using Windows. It truly is a terrible OS as compared to OS X. And, I really, really miss my magic trackpad functionality.

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

As I understand it, it’s a matter of the existing developers (who develop the game for Windows) gradually working on adapting the code to be platform agnostic such that the same codebase used for the Windows version of the game can be recompiled into a native OS X client, allowing them to develop both the Mac and Windows versions of the game simultaneously.

Posted by: Inazuma.6107

Inazuma.6107

How are you guys still selling the Mac version? You know it barely functions and you know you can’t fix any of the many critical issues.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147936-Guild-Wars-2-Mac-Edition

I appreciate the position you were in with Transgaming, but that situation occurred a long time ago now and, with no solution in place for over a year, it is not honest to continue advertising GW2 as working in OS X. It’s not like people who are deceived by this won’t notice. You could change the Mac support page to suggest Bootcamp for now with the hope of a native client potentially being released at some unknown future date. But, to keep up a description of a Mac beta client that isn’t even supported anymore is highly dishonest and not the way to endear the company to OS X users.

I am curious; is this native client effort a serious one with a dedicated team or a sort of side project when people aren’t busy doing other things? I am so sick of using Windows. It truly is a terrible OS as compared to OS X. And, I really, really miss my magic trackpad functionality.

From what I can tell it’s probably 2-3 devs working on it, maybe more but not full time (who the hell can work fulltime uninterrupted on a project for months anyway? businesses do not work like that).

Anyway it will get released someday! Good software takes time and should be released only when it’s ready. ArenaNet is still one of the few companies that works like that (for the most part).

Porting a game as big as GW2 must be not trivial. Its not just OpenGL. You also have to port audio code. OpenAL is kind of kitten and outdated on OSX, so CoreAudio is the way to go so you must write your own downmixing code for positional sound effects) and several other pieces: threading code since windows doesn’t use pthreads, network code, stuff that uses pipes, window management and opengl context creation to name a few. You also need to setup tooling such as buildbots, CI & automated testing, automated releases…

It’s normal that it will take months… I’d be happy to have the client by xmas, but I know it’s probably too short of a timeframe.

HippieJoel.9537

It’s normal that it will take months… I’d be happy to have the client by xmas, but I know it’s probably too short of a timeframe.

In fairness that’d be a pretty fantastic gift from ArenaNet heh. Seriously the only reason I maintain a Windows install at all at this point is for playing Guild Wars 2.

Inazuma.6107

New update from the reddit AMA:

We were waiting for this question
I have had characters running around in game! We are to the point where we’re fixing specific bugs instead of the big general ones. We’ve still got not release date but significant progress is being made!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/53plre/rising_flames_devs_here_ask_us_anything/d7v5eho

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Dang, beat me to it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

lots of ppl waiting for it. Hopefully we will get it one day

Talék

Posted by: Qida.5648

Qida.5648

Me too.. For the time being. Here is what i feel is the best temporary solution.

1. 64bit GW2 Windows version. – Faster
2. Parallels 12. – For FullScreen Windowed Mode (lacking in current client)
3. Windows 10 – virtualise and cloned from bootcamp.
4. Palua for Mac – FN key swap

No more bootcamp for me.

Posted by: RavBunneh.6854

RavBunneh.6854

The pain of crashing on Frozen Maw all day long when it is the daily. Frustrating. ArenaNet should be embarrassed by the mac client.

penelopehannibal.8947

The pain of crashing on Frozen Maw all day long when it is the daily. Frustrating. ArenaNet should be embarrassed by the mac client.

They probably are, hence why they’re working on the native client.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Talek.6795

Chaps, we have some very good news news from the latest AMA with devs:

Mac Client
-We have new build servers coming online.
-We are beginning to expand the client to internal teams to increase testing.
We will release an alpha version of the client for experimental use (like we did with the 64-bit Windows client) when it’s building and running internally on a consistent basis. It will probably require a bit of Mac smarts to install it so it will be for hardened explorers only.

Dulfy

Talék

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

Woo! cant wait to try the beta/alpha for this client, a real client soon!

=D

penelopehannibal.8947

Woohoo! Not sure what to say!! I am excite! I would love (and can’t wait) to test it if I can!!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

HippieJoel.9537

Fantastic news indeed.

Posted by: Asumir.1978

Asumir.1978

The only quick fixes to the Mac beta client I ever saw over the years was when Mac beta customers could not access the gem store. Anet sorted that out within a few days. But to be fair that was still when it was with Transgaming.

When money talks…

While waiting for the native Mac client I’d suggest bootcamp Windows if you can. I finally gave in and it is like night and day as far as performance. I only use it to play GW2.

Can I PM you for advice on that, please?

Thaír ar Nádal aï Narvèduí – Zían athâ éhû Tharnadaï
From Shadow unto Light is born the Narvedui
While softly walks the Tharnadai

Posted by: Asumir.1978

Asumir.1978

CELEBRATION!

Mac Client
We will release an alpha version of the client for experimental use (like we did with the 64-bit Windows client) when it’s building and running internally on a consistent basis. It will probably require a bit of Mac smarts to install it so it will be for hardened explorers only.

Dulfy

Thaír ar Nádal aï Narvèduí – Zían athâ éhû Tharnadaï
From Shadow unto Light is born the Narvedui
While softly walks the Tharnadai

Posted by: DrMORO.4627

DrMORO.4627

Mac Client

Dulfy

AWESOME!!!

Just can’t wait, but only will believe it when I have it.

Posted by: Kevin.5396

Kevin.5396

CAN’T WAIT !!!!

Inazuma.6107

Maybe my dream of alpha for Xmas could happen!!! Ok, most likely not… but maybe!!!

Posted by: Braxton.3926

Braxton.3926

This will be enough to make me get back into the game once again.

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594

Wait…it’s coming?

I might be able to return to GW2 after all….it’s a Wintersday miracle, Charlie Brown!

Posted by: RavBunneh.6854

RavBunneh.6854

All I want for the holidays is a native mac client.

Posted by: Sodam.7913

Sodam.7913

PLEASE MAKE IT WORK !

Posted by: papsu.6094

papsu.6094

+1 for new Mac client. Nothing can be worse than a crash and losing the instance. I feel like a masochist right now playing regularly with all the crashes. But I am not going to install Windows for GW2 and deal with its associated problems.

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

+1 for new Mac client. Nothing can be worse than a crash and losing the instance. I feel like a masochist right now playing regularly with all the crashes. But I am not going to install Windows for GW2 and deal with its associated problems.

Aside from the issues in my thread about immediately crashing, I haven’t had the frequent crashing issues since a few patches after HoT came out. That said, I typically only really play the story and PvE content. So other than Dragon’s Stand (I think I’m currently at maybe 2/5 for getting through that map’s meta without crashing in the final fight), I’m generally not in the crashy parts of the game. I avoided raids when they first came out so that I wouldn’t hurt everyone else on the team, and haven’t gotten around to trying them yet, so I can’t comment on that.

Mostly I’m looking forward to better macOS integration (like, I’m really hoping to be able to drag to resize the window), less general glitchiness (for instance, I’ve got a real professional-level external sound “card” that I can’t use with GW2 because cider insists on only working with the built-in outputs), hopefully better performance (particularly in regard to multithreaded performance, but that’s not a macOS-specific issue), and general feature-parity with the 64-bit Windows client. All those hi-res textures and whatnot.

There is one thing that might be a cider glitch that I actually like. I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, and GW2 just automatically figured it out… I didn’t have to remap anything (well, until I switched to ESDF from WASD) and the in-game tool-tips knew it (“press ‘I’ to loot”, etc). If that’s intentional, well done, Anet!

HippieJoel.9537

There is one thing that might be a cider glitch that I actually like. I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, and GW2 just automatically figured it out… I didn’t have to remap anything (well, until I switched to ESDF from WASD) and the in-game tool-tips knew it (“press ‘I’ to loot”, etc). If that’s intentional, well done, Anet!

Funnily enough it’s actually a feature in WINE.

I’m pretty impressed to discover that I’m not the only Guild Wars 2 playing Mac using Dvorak user.

The issue with this “feature” however is that it sets the keybinds differently internally so if you reboot into Windows you’ll find yourself having to change all of the keybinds to be correct in Windows after playing in OS X.

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

Do we know if there is a chance for the alpha to be released this xmas? Im dying to give it a go while i have free time.

Posted by: Supercluster.7159

Supercluster.7159

Do we know if there is a chance for the alpha to be released this xmas? Im dying to give it a go while i have free time.

I doubt that an alpha will be released by Christmas but I’m hopeful that early next year will have something for us. I’m pumped for a native 64 bit OS X release! I never thought I would get the chance to be say that. HA

Posted by: sunrun.4521

sunrun.4521

I’m trying to install it on my new MacBook Pro (first time Mac owner – was surprised to find that GW2’s Mac situation is like it is) and it’s continually wanting to redownload “tgupdate 1.12”, whatever that is. Every launch, the same thing. A real Mac client can’t come soon enough.

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m trying to install it on my new MacBook Pro (first time Mac owner – was surprised to find that GW2’s Mac situation is like it is) and it’s continually wanting to redownload “tgupdate 1.12”, whatever that is. Every launch, the same thing. A real Mac client can’t come soon enough.

The TGUpdate is the TransGaming programme which acts as the cider wrapper to allow Guild Wars 2 to run on Mac. It too been updated a few times since 2012 (though not recently) so you’re most likely just getting the latest version one after another. There hasn’t been a TG update for quite some time, so once you get that final version if you haven’t already, you should see a stop to that.

That said though, a native client is still what we all want.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: franc.8497

franc.8497

How long do we still have to wait? I can’t even play anymore.. Every time I open the client, it either freezes or completely restarts my Mac.

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

Funnily enough it’s actually a feature in WINE.

I’m pretty impressed to discover that I’m not the only Guild Wars 2 playing Mac using Dvorak user.

The issue with this “feature” however is that it sets the keybinds differently internally so if you reboot into Windows you’ll find yourself having to change all of the keybinds to be correct in Windows after playing in OS X.

I did not know that… cool!

Yeah, I’d noticed the keybinding “issue” when I was using the PlayOnMac wrapper for a while… Not a big deal for me personally, though, because at the time I was pretty much just logging in to get the daily reward.

Oh, well. It certainly won’t be hard to enter my “custom” key bindings when the native mac client comes out.

Posted by: kurtosis.9526

kurtosis.9526

How long do we still have to wait? I can’t even play anymore.. Every time I open the client, it either freezes or completely restarts my Mac.

It won’t even start anymore on my Mac (late 2013 MBPr 15" with El Capitan). Tried deleting Guild Wars 2.app from /Applications and reinstalling but same problem, just won’t start. Completely unplayable now :/

Posted by: Yinmatook.8302

Yinmatook.8302

I have installed the mac client on an iMac running El Capitan and it last week stopped working (starting the client causes the iMac to hang and reboot itself). Interestingly, I have also installed the mac client on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) which has been upgraded to Sierra (10.12.2); the client still works on the MBP.

Very very frustrating. I also play EVE Online – which in the last six months has moved their Mac version from Cider to the real Wine, maybe Anet could reach out to CCP for some help?

HippieJoel.9537

I have installed the mac client on an iMac running El Capitan and it last week stopped working (starting the client causes the iMac to hang and reboot itself). Interestingly, I have also installed the mac client on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) which has been upgraded to Sierra (10.12.2); the client still works on the MBP.

Very very frustrating. I also play EVE Online – which in the last six months has moved their Mac version from Cider to the real Wine, maybe Anet could reach out to CCP for some help?

You can use the latest version of Wine yourself if you’d like to. It works reasonably well but with the caveat that the framerates are lower than what you’ll get with Cider.

I wouldn’t worry too much about that though – ArenaNet are working on a native Mac client anyway, so Wine / Cider won’t be necessary.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The Mac client causes the computer to overheat, the Mac shutting down is a safety mechanism in os X when the temperature is too high.

It’s been a long-time problem that was improved at a certain point and came back with UI updates preceding HoT’s release and then happened less to me since the game just crashed before it made the computer overheat anyway.

Talek.6795

I hope we can hear some news soon

Talék

Posted by: papsu.6094

papsu.6094

I got fed up of the crashes on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) that I decided to try out Wine. The graphics are not as good as the one you get with the Mac client and frame rates are low, but the game is stable. The annoying issue is with the graphic objects nearby not rendering quickly and I am yet to figure that out. I used wine-2.0-rc5 (staging) and got the 64bit support installed. Then I installed the beta of the 64 bit Windows client and after it started patching, I copied the gw2.dat file from my Mac installation directory over. A point to note is that I didn’t set the “UseGLSL” to ‘disabled’. Just dont create that key or the game doesn’t launch. Hope this helps someone.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I got fed up of the crashes on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) that I decided to try out Wine. The graphics are not as good as the one you get with the Mac client and frame rates are low, but the game is stable. The annoying issue is with the graphic objects nearby not rendering quickly and I am yet to figure that out. I used wine-2.0-rc5 (staging) and got the 64bit support installed. Then I installed the beta of the 64 bit Windows client and after it started patching, I copied the gw2.dat file from my Mac installation directory over. A point to note is that I didn’t set the “UseGLSL” to ‘disabled’. Just dont create that key or the game doesn’t launch. Hope this helps someone.

Have you tried Crossover? Sometimes it works pretty well, at least it did with GW1.

Posted by: sunrun.4521

sunrun.4521

Thanks for the info penelopehannibal, it did eventually install and now runs.

Everyone is right though, it’s incredibly crashy. The number of times I’ve had it crash back to the desktop during an event is ridiculous – by contrast, I don’t remember the last time the Windows client crashed on me.

If you want to play anything with the Mac client, you’d better join a group or you’re going to have a bad time. A native client can’t come soon enough…

Posted by: Adoninilol.3180

Adoninilol.3180

Okay so i’ve been playing on the mac client for about a year now and here is how i feel about the client.

I run on 1440 x1080 on like mediumish settings (the auto-detect)
2012 Retina Macbook Pro 15"
8gb Ram.
I7- 2.3ghz
Nvidia 650M 1GB VRam
Edit: Link to machine
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP653?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

And i can get around 40-50fps in the core zones just running around pretty easily and can spike down to 10-30 at times depending on the larger zones, for example the kessex hills tower area really is intensive, larger zones can be a bit difficult too. As far as HoT zones go it’s about 20-30fps on average and anywhere from 5-15 on a bad spike.

On the lowest graphics possible i can push 60+ fps in the starter zones and like 30-50 in HoT zones.

I think the native client will make this game super playable on a mac. I only rarely crash and its typically when i’ve been playing for like 6+ hours and the client just needs a refresh and then its good again.

I’m not really having any of the issues anyone else in this thread are, i only crash when i’m doing Dragon’s stand and it’s only at the end cut scene and even then it only happens an 1/8th ish of the time.

(edited by Adoninilol.3180)

Posted by: orenwolf.1953

orenwolf.1953

Wine 2.0 was just released, which has 64 bit support, amongst other things. It might be the solution to fix crashes while we wait for the native client:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/26/wine-reaches-milestone-version-20-release-with-64-bit-support-and-retina-compatibility-for-macos

Any chance of getting this in the wrapper as a workaround until the mac client is released?

Posted by: DrMORO.4627

DrMORO.4627

Wine 2.0 was just released, which has 64 bit support, amongst other things. It might be the solution to fix crashes while we wait for the native client:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/26/wine-reaches-milestone-version-20-release-with-64-bit-support-and-retina-compatibility-for-macos

Any chance of getting this in the wrapper as a workaround until the mac client is released?

Just noticed this article as well, and just from the title, I was jumping up & down in my heart, that we could finally be out of the “Beta” status. And with 64-bit support, maybe more FPS and playability? Are Mac GW2 players still asking for too much?

PLEASE ANet!
Official Mac client (non-Beta), and 64-bit support!!!

(edited by DrMORO.4627)

Talek.6795

While we wait for Anets native client, can we try to build something using new wine? Gw2 files for the current game are in the game drive c under wineskin gw2 application.

Talék

Talek.6795

so who can combine the client?
https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

Talék

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

so who can combine the client?
https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php
http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Both of these use the upstream FOSS Wine client, but provide helpers for putting it together nicely as a macOS app bundle.

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, use one of those tools.

Inazuma.6107

LS Episode4 is coming out soon, so hopefully we can get status update in the AMA!