Can we please get a working Mac Client [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Update from today’s AMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5svug8/the_head_of_the_snake_devs_here_ask_us_anything/ddi7b5s/?st=iyxk15on&sh=b356b4e5

Native Mac Update:

It generally runs and patches
It hitches a bunch, which we are tracking down
We still have more internal build system plumbing to do before we release a version for people to play with.

The Burninator

Posted by: Supercluster.7159

Supercluster.7159

Awesome, I can’t wait! Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

Thank you for the update! I hope we can get some native beta this spring

Talék

Posted by: SilentSnowdrop.1368

SilentSnowdrop.1368

-fingers crossed!-

Posted by: Tika bladestorm.8163

Tika bladestorm.8163

I hope they get the Mac client rolled out sooner rather than later due to the wrapper being set to winxp and when they discontinue support for winxp and vista the Mac client will no longer work.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I hope they get the Mac client rolled out sooner rather than later due to the wrapper being set to winxp and when they discontinue support for winxp and vista the Mac client will no longer work.

The important people to stop supporting WinXP or Vista there would be ANet, not Microsoft; as long as they continue to build at that compatibility level, the Cider wrapper would continue to work fine.

Posted by: Tika bladestorm.8163

Tika bladestorm.8163

Ahh ok thanks so no need to worry about it than I would have sworn I saw a post about the game no longer working on xp or vista but than after further research into it was a different game I saw that in so no worries on that lol thanks for the reply though and looking foward to a Mac native client in the future and just for the record the game runs fine my Imac

Posted by: sunrun.4521

sunrun.4521

You may have been thinking about the fact that the Windows version of the game still supports Windows XP, which forces their hand regarding what version of DirectX they support on Windows.

But anyway… I too really hope that there’s something we can start testing sooner rather than later, because the wrapper client is so slow and buggy. Sometimes I launch it and have to wait a couple of minutes before it does anything at all! It’s painful. I often think, is it working or should I force quit it?

With each AMA, although it does seem like they are making progress, it’s very frustrating that they are never willing to give any suggestion of when it might be available. I know that development timeframes are notoriously difficult to estimate, but surely they know if it’ll be in the next few months, or whether it won’t even be this year. Throw us a bone.

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

With each AMA, although it does seem like they are making progress, it’s very frustrating that they are never willing to give any suggestion of when it might be available. I know that development timeframes are notoriously difficult to estimate, but surely they know if it’ll be in the next few months, or whether it won’t even be this year. Throw us a bone.

Honestly based on the last few updates it does sound very optimistic and I think there’s a good chance that we’ll see it relatively soon.

As to why they won’t say when, I think it comes down to managing expectations. The worst thing in the world for them is if they promised it by a certain date, and then missed it, leading to a bunch of angry Mac users. Plus with a project this size it can be really difficult to make an accurate prediction – they could be 90% of the way there, only to find a major issue which sets back development by months.

From their perspective, I think they’d much rather not promise anything and then release it when it’s ready, rather than forcing themselves to work to an arbitrary schedule.

SlippyCheeze.5483

Honestly based on the last few updates it does sound very optimistic and I think there’s a good chance that we’ll see it relatively soon.

As to why they won’t say when, I think it comes down to managing expectations.

They are also reacting to a previous policy of making promises, which led to player disappointment. Currently they prefer, to paraphrase, “to show, not to tell”, when it comes to new things.

sunrun.4521

Yep, I definitely get that – as I mentioned I know that estimating development timeframes is really difficult.

I’m not asking for a specific date or month, but surely they know if they’re on track to release it this year or not. Even an incredibly rough time frame like “we can’t say when, but it’ll be this year” would be helpful. Or if it isn’t going to be this year, say “it’s not likely to be released this year” so we can all stop coming back to this thread…

Or, if they aren’t willing to even give an estimate to the year level, at least communicate progress better. They communicate progress about lots of other things they’re working on with the game, so why not the occasional (like, monthly) short update to say “still working on the new Mac client – this month we got this thing working”. Some communication can go a long way to keeping people happy even without giving any timeframe.

(also lol @ having to select the “override bump” option for this reply)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Maybe Anet shouldn’t have dropped support on the current Mac client considering that the native port seems to take years to develop and the current Cider version crashes every 5 minutes.

Supercluster.7159

Does anybody have an updated status on the native Mac client port?

SlippyCheeze.5483

Maybe Anet shouldn’t have dropped support on the current Mac client considering that the native port seems to take years to develop and the current Cider version crashes every 5 minutes.

That’s a limitation of the 32-bit client, which is all that Cider can run. You may (or may not) have more luck trying the 64-bit client with Wine 2.0, which apparently can run successfully on modern macOS systems.

Does anybody have an updated status on the native Mac client port?

Nothing newer than the comment on reddit that it’s “alpha” state: runs, but not even close to something we could test out here in the wider world.

HippieJoel.9537

There’s not really anything ArenaNet can do with the current Mac client. They paid another company to develop it and that company long since sold their porting technology to Nvidia. ArenaNet can’t update or support the current Mac client because they didn’t develop it and the company that did sold Cider, hence the situation we’re now in where they’re developing a new client themselves.

sunrun.4521

Here’s hoping there’ll be another update on all of this in the presumably upcoming AMA for the new chapter…

SlippyCheeze.5483

There’s not really anything ArenaNet can do with the current Mac client. They paid another company to develop it and that company long since sold their porting technology to Nvidia. ArenaNet can’t update or support the current Mac client because they didn’t develop it and the company that did sold Cider, hence the situation we’re now in where they’re developing a new client themselves.

Note: they can update it, since it follows patches, but they can’t make fundamental changes — including moving to 64-bit — without a rewrite of some description. Which is what they are doing.

Posted by: Inazuma.6107

Inazuma.6107

I just got a PS4 Pro instead, no gaming on Mac anymore. Also improved my RSI!

HippieJoel.9537

We got a haiku:

Native Mac Haiku

Spring arrives for Mac
Testers test on alpha builds
Coming soon to you

See here

(edited by HippieJoel.9537)

Talek.6795

yeeeyyyyyyyyy!

Talék

Supercluster.7159

Things are starting to look good for the Mac players.

Posted by: franc.8497

franc.8497

I reinstalled the client on my Macbook Pro (Retina, Mid 2015), first time I installed it and I got to play for a while then I logged out to stretch out and all but when I came back to play the client opens, it’s completely blank and it restarts my laptop completely. I am honestly really tired of this stuff, can someone tell me how I can fix this. Please.

sunrun.4521

As someone who’s not from the US, am I right in reading this as meaning test versions will be available this month to try? Is it just for people who are enrolled in a special testing program or do you think it’ll be open to any Mac user to install the test version?

SlippyCheeze.5483

As someone who’s not from the US, am I right in reading this as meaning test versions will be available this month to try? Is it just for people who are enrolled in a special testing program or do you think it’ll be open to any Mac user to install the test version?

It means this:

ANet have their internal testing team working on alpha builds. “alpha” means “we already know it has serious bugs, and expect more”, so it’s definitely not ready for the general public yet.

They hope to make it available to the public “soon”, but there is no implied timeframe about when that is — could be this month, could be christmas. It depends how serious some of those bugs are, and how long they take to resolve.

Posted by: Frayedknot.8547

Frayedknot.8547

I’m running mac client, seems ok but a bit slow. Not because of the client, but because my desktop died and forced me onto an ‘08 macbook pro with 512m vid ram.
One thing I did try was edit the config, which had vid mem set to 256 and vertex 128.
I made the vid ram 512 and vertex 256, but it didn’t seem to get the boost folks were experiencing on newer models… So I changed it to have 512 mem, and left the vertex at 128, I never cared as much about appearance as mobility, and that helped. Now all I have to do is re-learn the game, it’s been a few years LOL

sunrun.4521

So I saw online that there’s apparently a native client build somewhere on the CDN now (not that anyone should attempt to download or use it because I’d imagine doing so could get you banned). But that’s at least a good sign that they’re progressing with things I guess.

Talek.6795

How did you find it?

Thats really good news

Talék

SlippyCheeze.5483

How did you find it? Thats really good news

Well, anet told us they were working on it, so it’s not exactly news, just datamined evidence of further progress. Don’t interpret this as saying anything about when it might be released.

It was found by that_shaman, one of the dedicated data miners who often releases information about new things found in new patches, and mentioned on twitter and reddit.

sunrun.4521

Yeah, what SlippyCheeze said ^

And I wasn’t suggesting it indicates anything about release timeframes (I’m sure the only reason it’s there is to allow external staff testing), but it is at least nice to see stuff going on that shows that they’ve gotten further with the build system.

(edited by sunrun.4521)

Talek.6795

Chaps, thank you for the explanation! so.. let’s wait some good news from Anet <3

Talék

Posted by: Glouryian.3765

Glouryian.3765

Hello good Madams and Sirs,

I am utterly upset that still after almost five years there still is no suitable solution for Mac users to play with. I recently bought myself an iMac 5k with a m395x and the gaming experience is even worse than with my 2012 Macbook Retina.

Even though the graphics dont hold any challenge to the new system at all the client keeps crashing and by all means crashing a lot. It crashes when I open the map, it crashes when more than five characters appear on screen, sometimes if I move even, it crashes with high settings, with low settings, on low and high resolution and there is nothing I can do about it.

It is making me angry that this still is happening, in a game about five years old, since than advertised to be suitable for Mac users and no, it is not! Mac users like me belong to your most loyal fanbase, against all odds I still kept playing the game, investing my money, my time and have been patient with you and your continuing promises of improvement – if you even answered at all -, which never happened. You even closed the Mac subforum and still there is the big BETA sign on top of the client and is making me sick!

This is false advertising, broken promises and most of all a betrayal to all those who believed and still kept investing into the game. We even continuously listened to those who blamed US, because we were the ones after all not buying a different system just to play one game which was promised to us as being playable on a Mac system. I am tired of explaining my guild members and online friends again and again why my game crashed, why I cant play with higher character details even though my system is more than up to it, why I still cant open the Blacklion Shop sometimes.

And I am tired of lousy excuses and vague answers and I am not alone. I am not asking anymore for advice or if there will ever be any hope for us or if you even care at all. Because you answered, you answered by doing nothing for five years, you even managed to create a 64bit client in the meantime and for us nothing changed.

Its up to you now – deliver or lose. Simple as that.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I am utterly upset that still after almost five years there still is no suitable solution for Mac users to play with. I recently bought myself an iMac 5k with a m395x and the gaming experience is even worse than with my 2012 Macbook Retina.

Even though the graphics dont hold any challenge to the new system at all the client keeps crashing and by all means crashing a lot. It crashes when I open the map, it crashes when more than five characters appear on screen, sometimes if I move even, it crashes with high settings, with low settings, on low and high resolution and there is nothing I can do about it.

It is making me angry that this still is happening, in a game about five years old, since than advertised to be suitable for Mac users and no, it is not! Mac users like me belong to your most loyal fanbase, against all odds I still kept playing the game, investing my money, my time and have been patient with you and your continuing promises of improvement – if you even answered at all -, which never happened. You even closed the Mac subforum and still there is the big BETA sign on top of the client and is making me sick!

This is false advertising, broken promises and most of all a betrayal to all those who believed and still kept investing into the game. We even continuously listened to those who blamed US, because we were the ones after all not buying a different system just to play one game which was promised to us as being playable on a Mac system. I am tired of explaining my guild members and online friends again and again why my game crashed, why I cant play with higher character details even though my system is more than up to it, why I still cant open the Blacklion Shop sometimes.

And I am tired of lousy excuses and vague answers and I am not alone. I am not asking anymore for advice or if there will ever be any hope for us or if you even care at all. Because you answered, you answered by doing nothing for five years, you even managed to create a 64bit client in the meantime and for us nothing changed.

I don’t know if you know, but they’re working on a Native Mac Client.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Glouryian.3765

I sure do, but “working on” and “here it is” are very far away from each other. So far we have seen nothing of it.

SlippyCheeze.5483

Also, threatening the developers is the least effective way to get anything to happen, and the most effective way to get your entire comment ignored. Nobody really wants to listen to someone who is yelling at them and threatening them, my friend.

At the end of the day, ANet are working on the problem. If you give up before that happens, you give up. Threatening to leave isn’t going to make a difference one way or another.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I sure do, but “working on” and “here it is” are very far away from each other. So far we have seen nothing of it.

They’ve been keeping us up to date with the progress on reddit AMA posts. The reason they won’t say much is because they don’t want to over-promise and under-deliver.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Talek.6795

YYEYEYYEE

Laying the ground work for a native Mac OSX 64bit test client.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-June-20-2017/first#post6626058

Talék

HippieJoel.9537

The 64-bit client now appears to be available from the account section of the Guild Wars 2 website.

This is exciting.

Glouryian.3765

Also, threatening the developers is the least effective way to get anything to happen, and the most effective way to get your entire comment ignored. Nobody really wants to listen to someone who is yelling at them and threatening them, my friend.

At the end of the day, ANet are working on the problem. If you give up before that happens, you give up. Threatening to leave isn’t going to make a difference one way or another.

Well, seems like it worked.

Thanks, Anet.