Am I suspended or am I permanently banned?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Cawlin.9360

Cawlin.9360

Was issued a week ban couple of days ago, but that’s not my issue.
Now upon attempting to login I am receiving a different error message,
“Account suspended for inappropriate language. Access will be restored in approximately X hour[s].[[en.ERROR_ACCOUNT_BLOCK_PERMANENT_SUSPENSION_FOOTER]]”
Obviously, the part that concerns me is the account permanent suspension bit. I am confused as to if this message applies, or is simply here by error? If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great. Thanks in advance
Attachment related, the error message

Attachments:

(edited by Cawlin.9360)

Posted by: anonymouse.9053

anonymouse.9053

Others are getting the same message while actively playing the game and getting booted off, so my GUESS is that the status of your account hasn’t changed but that just the message has. Hopefully a moderator will offer some input.

Posted by: ONEone.4823

ONEone.4823

where that footer was used to be links to the code of conduct and such. my guess is that there is a broken link and that everyone normally gets to see them, they just named it “permanent_ban” to scare you.

ticket: 120902-003411

Cawlin.9360

really hope so, thanks for the input

Posted by: Rush.6482

Rush.6482

no worries, I had the same message when I was banned. It is indeed simply the broken link to the rules of conduct, the terms of services and other links. The time remaining above is what matters

ONEone.4823

The time remaining above is what matters

yes, be happy you have a countdown…mine is a count up…

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Now upon attempting to loggin I am receiving a different error message,
“Account suspended for inappropriate language. Access will be restored in approximately X hour[s].[[en.ERROR_ACCOUNT_BLOCK_PERMANENT_SUSPENSION_FOOTER]]”
Obviously, the part that concerns me is the account permanent suspension bit. I am confused as to if this message applies, or is simply here by error? If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great. Thanks in advance

We are working on the in-game messages, and clearly we have a way to go to get them settled in properly.

Apologies for the unclear message. Obviously if there’s a timer, you’ll be allowed back in the game in XX hours. Ignore the “footer” stuff — that just should not be there at all.

And forgive me if I’m intruding, but if you were blocked twice for langauge, enough to earn a 2-week suspension, I really hope you’ll tone it done a bit. Account marks are kept on file, and with enough of them, an account could be terminated. I know you don’t want that, and neither do we want to be in the position to be forced to take such an action on your (or anyone’s) account.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Timers don’t count up. Or they are not supposed to do so. They can increase if someone gets a subsequent mark (once he’s back in the game) but you should never see “You’ll be able to rejoin the game in 10 hours” and then see it go up to 11 hours, 12 hours, etc.

If you’re seeing that, that would be bizarre and I’m glad you submitted a ticket.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Halmo.8619

Halmo.8619

Now upon attempting to loggin I am receiving a different error message,

We are working on the in-game messages, and clearly we have a way to go to get them settled in properly.

Apologies for the unclear message. Obviously if there’s a timer, you’ll be allowed back in the game in XX hours. Ignore the “footer” stuff — that just should not be there at all.

And forgive me if I’m intruding, but if you were blocked twice for langauge, enough to earn a 2-week suspension, I really hope you’ll tone it done a bit. Account marks are kept on file, and with enough of them, an account could be terminated. I know you don’t want that, and neither do we want to be in the position to be forced to take such an action on your (or anyone’s) account.

Do you actually get your account terminated for 3 offenses? If so hopefully the reset period on marks is like a year.

ONEone.4823

Timers don’t count up. Or they are not supposed to do so. They can increase if someone gets a subsequent mark (once he’s back in the game) but you should never see “You’ll be able to rejoin the game in 10 hours” and then see it go up to 11 hours, 12 hours, etc.

If you’re seeing that, that would be bizarre and I’m glad you submitted a ticket.

sorry, i was kidding around, i’m one the unfortunate ones that has a permanent ban due to hacking. so my ‘counter’ goes up in that i am waiting as patiently as i can to get back in the game. i wish i had a count down timer!

Posted by: CassiusNez.2395

CassiusNez.2395

So if my countdown sais 62 hours.. it will automatically restore when it reaches 0?

ONEone.4823

So if my countdown sais 62 hours.. it will automatically restore when it reaches 0?

most likely, set your alarm for sunday! and quit saying bad words ya sailor! :P

CassiusNez.2395

Thats the plan!

Previous

Gaile Gray

sorry, i was kidding around, i’m one the unfortunate ones that has a permanent ban due to hacking. so my ‘counter’ goes up in that i am waiting as patiently as i can to get back in the game. i wish i had a count down timer!

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I was a little confused/worried.

Hacked, huh? So sorry to hear. I hope you will be back soon, and judging from the flurry of activity on this end, I believe you will!

Srsly! I don’t know why “scurvy dog” doesn’t do for all occasions requiring strong language.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

ONEone.4823

Hacked, huh? So sorry to hear. I hope you will be back soon, and judging from the flurry of activity on this end, I believe you will!

huzzah! meh, going to bed, maybe i’ll be able to log in in the morning…

CassiusNez.2395

Hey Gaile, can you tell me what it is i said ?

ONEone.4823

huzzah! meh, going to bed, maybe i’ll be able to log in in the morning…

shazbat, no luck…maybe after work…

Cawlin.9360

Obviously someone as uncivilized as me deserves to be punished, and I accept that. Thanks for the clarification on the topic.
On a loosely related note, that obviously won’t be taken into consideration at all, why does Anet simply not remove the privileges being infringed on? IE Removal of in-game chat for people who commit chat offenses, rather than a full account ban. I know my word means little considering I am one of the offenders, but just something to take into consideration.

CassiusNez.2395

that makes a lot more sense than a 3 day ban

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

You will watch your tongue even more if your whole access to the game was dependant on it.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Cawlin.9360

You will watch your tongue even more if your whole access to the game was dependant on it.

True, but some people believe (completely opinion of course) that the punishment should match the crime. Issuing people the same punishment for cursing in chat as people who actively and awarely break and bug the game seems poorly proportioned to me, but that’s just my two cents. Almost like comparing petty thieves to murderers, and giving them the same sentence.

Posted by: Shakkles.7809

Shakkles.7809

The mere idea that there is a punishment for cursing in chat when there’s a default profanity filter is already ridiculous. I still have no idea why I was banned (one of the many waiting on a stupid response) but from what I’ve seen on these forums the chat restrictions aren’t R, they aren’t even PG-13 or PG, they’re basically G; Children’s stuff.

Kinda makes you wonder who their target audience was eh.

Cawlin.9360

Judging by the difficulty of some of the events (Raven riddles come to mind) I have a feeling you’re right about the target audience.

CassiusNez.2395

Makes me feel like this game was for children..

Posted by: anonymouse.9053

anonymouse.9053

Well if players would choose to act respectfully when communicating with others, there’d be no suspensions for misbehaving.

What are all of you going to do when you get real jobs and have to interact with managers / supervisors? I can only imagine.

Posted by: Moderator

This thread has denigrated past answering the OPs initial question into a discussion about what should/should not warrant a ban or suspension. As such, this thread will now be closed. Should Gaile or anybody else from the support team have a response to this thread, it will be re-opened at that time.