Client crashes since March 8, launcher probs.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

For the starters, yes, hardware upgrade would probably resolve some problems, but maybe the issue lays somewhere else, so I’m looking for help before I have to stop playing the game on this PC. But I sincerely don’t know what to do.

As far as I know, minimum reqs for HoT haven’t changed from the core game (correct me if I’m wrong), but since the expansion came out, I’m experiencing some issues:

The patcher takes a lot to load, eats up whole CPU & slows down whole system, while before that I could use a web browser, play my own music or run some small programs in the background (despite it being a bottleneck).

While normally the phase between Download – Initialization – Login took few seconds, now it can take minutes.
Sound started stuttering randomly and once in a while, the screen freezes while the game is still obviously running. Maps load either very fast or very slow, while normally they took about 10-30 sec, 20-50 sec in major cities.
Client repair is also merciless for the processor, don’t know if it was like that before, because I never had a need for it.

After March 8th, character selection screen acts differently. It stays black for extended period of time (UI is present), two of my characters show up on the icons, the rest appears along with the character on screen and the background after a minute or so.
Client crashes at world events, which earlier (before HoT) almost never happened. Attaching logs.
Sound is incomplete.
I can’t hear my footsteps or ambient sounds either right after login, or some time later after map change. It gives impression as it was about to appear later, like with slow loading, but never does. Stuttering hard or disappearing usually before client crashes.

My desktop ran GW2 on this setup smoothly since the game launched: Win7Ultimate SP1/Pentium Dual-Core E5200@2.50GHz/4GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (you can laugh now, but it really worked fine despite the horribly old processor). I could play the game for hours, browse web, run programs in the bg. My other games run as they were. Nothing indicates RAM/processor/graphic card problems, no malware found. Game’s installed on a eS-eS-D drive (srs, forum filters ), which appears to be healthy.
Game client was recently reinstalled, repaired while looking for solution since HoT problems started, repaired yesterday as well, repairing now as I write.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

(edited by Marge.4035)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You might try using the 64-bit client found in the ‘Content’ tab of the ‘My Account’ link above.

Good luck.

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

You might try using the 64-bit client found in the ‘Content’ tab of the ‘My Account’ link above.

Good luck.

Ah yes, I knew I forgot to mention something.

Yeah, I mostly use 32bit client. Both have same problems since HoT – terrible patcher loading times and CPU usage, ranfom freezes, weird loading times at char selection since 8th, but main difference is that 64bit is a real stutterfest, and by that I mean animations. I get less frames basically everywhere.

I haven’t got an occasion to run the game on 64 ‘till it crashes, I’ll get to it, but sound is stable compared to 32bit since March patch.

Also, I reinstalled video and audio drivers properly. I got nothing to improve around the proc/mobo though.

Seems like I’m not alone with the problem, too: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/FPS-drops-since-Update-3-8-16/first#post6035935

Edit: 64bit client works as bad in terms of loading times. I downgraded GPU drivers to these before HoT release as a test for a bit, no changes there.

Edit2 November 2016: Reinstalled system at Summer, using only 64bit client now, for few months all was okay, a week ago it returned to this minus the crashing. I get the feeling that at every loading it gets worse and worse.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

(edited by Marge.4035)