Crash/Black Screen Issue (NVIDIA)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: gmunder.9843

gmunder.9843

hi all
same problem here after a random amount of time in the game i get black screen sometimes it does not crash right away and the game continues but after a while i get a black screen again and than the game crashes with the message unrecoverable graphic driver error.

i have updated my graphic driver i did everything GW2 team told me and although i got only a nvidia gts250 1Gb ram it should be enough especially on Auto-Detect. What i tried is to set everything to low which worked for a time but after a few days i had the same problem.
then i played with the settings and i was able to play with relatively high graphic settings (with low frame rate of course) for a whole week and now again the game crashes almost instantly when i login in to the game even in the lowest graphic settings. So the game as become unplayable for me at the moment
What troubles me also is that when the game crashes i don’t have a crash.dmp and Arenanet.log they are not where they should be any idea why i dont have those files?

Posted by: Joriarty.4318

Joriarty.4318

Wow, total surprise with the Mac client. I’m running on a Mac so I’ll see if this fixes the issue. Though performance may be too poor for it to be a permanent solution, it will rule out any possible issues beyond the operating system.

Posted by: Joriarty.4318

Joriarty.4318

Scratch that. Half the framerate I get in Windows, stuttering, flickering and weird graphical glitches everywhere. I’d rather just crash every now and then and have a fully-functioning game the rest of the time.

Posted by: ozaythefirst.1806

ozaythefirst.1806

I think I have this problem as well, I get a black screen then no signal from my monitor after that my computer shuts down. tried both beta drivers and the newest one and still hapens.
Video_Caption: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590
Video_AdapterRAM: 1536MB
Processor
CPU_Name: Intel® Core™ i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz

Posted by: Volk.6943

Volk.6943

Same issue . black screens after logging into world , both monitors shut down and i have to hard reboot

I7
gtx280 sli

Volk.6943

also forgot to mention, if i reboot i get in game no problem , so like wtf?

Volk.6943

put ur char up against a wall and ur golden

Posted by: ozaythefirst.1806

ozaythefirst.1806

It is just bad cant play for more then around 45 min before I crash I do hope arenanet/nvidia to fix this soon

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

put ur char up against a wall and ur golden

Yeah, don’t work for me. If I’m in a cave or underwater, I blackscreen until it crashes with the driver error. don’t know how many times I’ve been killed due to this nastiness. I do know that this should be one of Anets top priorities because I suspect that there are probably scores of other people having this issue that just haven’t spoken about it yet. I’m afraid I’ll never see the inside of a dungeon because of this problem. I shouldn’t have to custom craft my own solutions for something that is really looking like it’s not a hardware issue as much as a game issue, especially considering I can run other games with no issues at all.
Don’t get me wrong, I love this game, and will continue to play where I can, but really guys, Anet should be figuring out a fix for this as it is a game breaking problem for many people. This isn’t beta anymore (which is kinda sad considering the game worked like a charm when I was in a bwe).

Posted by: Havoktzeh.4291

Havoktzeh.4291

I used to have the black screen crash.

Im playing since launch on a Intel core 2 Duo so i suffer an evident cpu bottleneck. Anyway, as the cpu was working at full capacity, i played a bit with the in game graphic options setting them a bit higher than default.

A couple of days later, i got the black screen of death with the music playing on the background but everything frozen. No alt tab or alt f4 worked.

Also, getting back to the lower graphic settings helped me playing a bit more, maybe 30 or 40 mins more but always crashing with said black screen. With higher graphic settings it crashed just at logging at the game world.

Today i have tried to underclock my gpu a 10% (nvidia gforce 9600m gt) and give a try the solution someone posted above here. The result is a 100% no black screen with 10 hours of continuous gameplay. The temps are ok and the fps are intact (no real decrease with that 10% underclock. I used msi afterburner).

Hope this can help someone.

P.D Sorry about my english, it is not my native language.

(edited by Havoktzeh.4291)

Posted by: chewbaccasdad.7108

chewbaccasdad.7108

Adding my 10 cents.

Was having the issue of a black screen and then my drivers rebooting and the game working again.

Now it hangs as soon as the launcher comes up, every time.

I’m running a gtx 580, with the latest WHQL drivers (though the issue was occurring with the previous 2 iterations of beta drivers), i5-2500k at normal clocks and 8gb of RAM.

I’ve uninstalled the game in the meantime and will try a full reinstall tomorrow, but most frustrating!

Posted by: Moggrathka.2981

Moggrathka.2981

Another voice here. Been living with the same issues as you guys. Playing for 30 minutes to a few hours with a gtx285, 6gbs of ram and windows 7 with 306. driver. Been in contact with support since game launch and nothing has worked. They should seriously reimburse us with a gold or two for all the armor repairs for dieing from this bug. It kills my soul a little bit. We should have to downgrade our gpus to play a kitten game. I hope to god this is fixed soon or I am back to Tera or Rift.

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

GPU: GTX 560 Ti 2gb
RAM: 16gb DDR3 1600MHz (Recently switched to 1333MHz to test things)
CPU: i7-2600
Windows 7 64bit

Issue 1:

I’v been getting some graphical glitches during gameplay, where certain objects will instantly pop to full screen. It happens in a blink of an eye and does so almost randomly. I can’t pinpoint any kind of place or function that might trigger it. It does happen relatively low as not to ruin the game.

Issue 2:

I’ll get some pretty bad fps during big events, like dragon battles. Really anything consisting of huge amounts of players will drop the fps significantly. It seems odd that this happens only because I can run a solid 50/70 fps on max settings during any other type of game play.

Issue 3:

I’ve had many freezes to a blue screen and hardware malfunction notices. They happen every few days it seems. Now I’m pretty certain this could be a hardware problem on my part, but I’m noting this here only because:

1. The video card is literally a couple of weeks old and this problem wasn’t happening until I started using it.
2. It only happens when playing GW2. I haven’t run into this issue playing any other games or anything else. Heck, I spend hours a day in photoshop, while running youtube and such and still no errors. So I’m not sure about the whole graphical demanding bit being the issue here.

Nevertheless, I’ll consider it as a problem on my part before jumping to conclusions. This is also why I’ve been switching ram etc.

Posted by: Antonicus.5837

Antonicus.5837

I was wondering, has anyone else tried to underclock their GPUs and fixed this problem? It’s the only thing I haven’t seen tested yet. The following have been confirmed to NOT work:

+ Updating/clearing old Nvidia drivers
+ Upgrading PC from 32-bit to 64-bit (or to SP1 if you don’t have it yet)
+ Reinstalling/repairing game
+ Reinstalling Windows
+ Running program as administrator

I’m still thinking this is a memory leak issue that can only be fixed when ArenaNet updates the game (this wasn’t an issue with the beta so I’m guessing they can figure out what code is causing the problem). BUT if underclocking works I’ll take it. Not an ideal situation to suboptimize my PC but if it’s the only way so be it. If this works for anyone else please post.

That said, I understand that fixing bugs is important for ArenaNet, but Jebus, there are so many people who can’t even play the game. This should be a priority.

My Specs:
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz (overclocked)
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB SOC (factory overclocked)
RAM: 4 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1800

Posted by: Grotezq.7582

Grotezq.7582

Hello, same issues here. Graphics Stutter followed by black screen with sound still playing in the back ground.

So far around 2hrs max play time followed by several 5 – 10 min sessions. I’m not getting an error report in the GW2 folder in my documents. Error report is not showing anything except that I have restarted several times, and the occasional driver has failed to respond, which happens maybe once in a full day, however that consists of lower FPS and a game restart not locking the system.

I have ran in fullscreen 5760×1080, 1920×1080, windowed fullscreen and just windowed with the same results.

I have installed old drivers, beta drivers and most recent drivers, no change. Ran DirectX web installer, no changes. I have tweaked Graphics settings in the control panel, AA mode and power management mode, and reducing textures and shadows etc in game. No change. Checked firewalls, routers, turned off anti-virus. I also uninstalled GW2, along with ANYTHING else that was extra on my HD, turned off all background programs etc while playing and nadda. I have overclocked the GPU with the same results, however UNDERCLOCKing the GPU has given me the longest play times at around 2hrs.

Like the game, really wish I could play more. Any suggestions or ideas?

Posted by: deshi.4239

deshi.4239

Yep exactly the same as Grotezq. A temporary solution appears to be game settings on lowest and GPU underclocked 10-20%. (Reduces, but doesn’t resolve the black screen issue)

This is not really acceptable, and at the moment it’s actually put me off wanting to play. Can we please get a solution for this? It’s affecting alot of people..

Posted by: Donnie.1238

Donnie.1238

Submitting my addition to the list. Have been trying every suggestion I can find for the last week. No matter what the black screen of death and eventual driver crash rears its ugly head.

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

I used to have the black screen crash.

Im playing since launch on a Intel core 2 Duo so i suffer an evident cpu bottleneck. Anyway, as the cpu was working at full capacity, i played a bit with the in game graphic options setting them a bit higher than default.

A couple of days later, i got the black screen of death with the music playing on the background but everything frozen. No alt tab or alt f4 worked.

Also, getting back to the lower graphic settings helped me playing a bit more, maybe 30 or 40 mins more but always crashing with said black screen. With higher graphic settings it crashed just at logging at the game world.

Today i have tried to underclock my gpu a 10% (nvidia gforce 9600m gt) and give a try the solution someone posted above here. The result is a 100% no black screen with 10 hours of continuous gameplay. The temps are ok and the fps are intact (no real decrease with that 10% underclock. I used msi afterburner).

Hope this can help someone.

P.D Sorry about my english, it is not my native language.

I took this advice shortly after making my original reply to this thread and it seems to have cured my problem. That said however, unless you know exactly what your doing be very careful if you attempt this. While underclocking your card is probably safer than overclocking it, bad things can still happen to your card and your system if you make a mistake. Please read all the documentation for programs like msi afterburn if your unsure about anything you see, or better yet, find someone who has experience doing it. You can also use a stability testing program like furmark to check the temp and overall stability of your card just to be on the safer end of things.
I still believe that this is an operation that shouldn’t have to be done and that Anet really needs to get a handle on this problem. No one should have to underclock their card to make a game where the min/max required specs are met.

Posted by: Grotezq.7582

Grotezq.7582

Fresh install of W7, drivers, DirectX, etc. Still the same.

Posted by: Jeric.4980

Jeric.4980

Did Ascalonian Catacombs last night. In less than an hour I had about 30 black screens and about a fourth of those resulted in a graphics driver error that threw me out of the game. I then had to log back in, port into the dungeon and run back to my group.

I have no choice but to shelve my main until this is resolved. I will not miss content because of something I cannot control.

ANet…you got anything on this yet? Please?

Posted by: deshi.4239

deshi.4239

Hey, found another potential fix on a different forum (sorry can’t find link now). I personally just have one GTX 285, I don’t know how changing this setting will effect people using multiple GPU’s.

Nvidia control panel – Manage 3d settings – Global settings – Multi-display / mixed-gpu acceleration – Set to “Single display performance mode”

I haven’t had a chance to test it comprehensively but it seems good so far. Atleast 1 hour of play with no black screen or crash.

I noticed that the crashing still appears if I’m playing on maximum resolution (1920×1080). But if I settle for 1600×900 the crashing has either drastically reduced or been fixed.

I am playing with graphics settings “Auto detect”. GPU at default clock values.

Give it a go, be interesting to see how this works for others.

(edited by deshi.4239)

Posted by: Uzi.5364

Uzi.5364

I would encourage all that reply to this thread with either issues or NOT to include
system specs and detailed description of the problem as it occurs on your system.

Failure to include system specifics is a total FAIL on your part as it does nothing to help
nail down the central cause of these events.

In that spirit I will post mine.
Game System:
Win 7 64 | 8GB RAM, Asus MB P8Z68-V2 PRO,
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.6 Ghz o/c
GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 no o/c, Drivers 306.23
Display: Dell U2410 1920×1200,

I do NOT have the issue described in the OP . I have noted I get dumped to desktop on occasion
for unknown reasons. I run the game fullscreen. The game does not crash and I can
get back to the game via usual means as a system task on the task bar or tab to it.

I’ve never had the issue of the black screen arise on this system, and the game
runs wonderfully well (60fps PVE and WvW typical with drops to 30;’s in heavy WvW situations). No crash issues as of yet been playing since early launch.

After a quick gloss of this thread it APPEARS to be more of a SLI issue with exceptions, that need to be hunted down. Please, people take the time to post system info or you do not hing to help Arena net or others afflicted.
Again, it is also helpful for those without the issue to post that info as well.
This could well be a esoteric software—hardware conflict that is not immediately obvious. DXDIAG is probably the most useful.

Posted by: Mineria.4289

Mineria.4289

Quote:
Turning SPI off under the Firewall of my D-Link DIR 601 router completely resolved the black screen issue for me. It also solved my disconnects with error 21/41. This is very strange behavior. But I can play at full settings with the 306.2 drivers, and I have a lot of thanks for the people who discovered this fix!

Looks like a conflict between Windows TCP autotuning and SPI that doesn’t support it.
Another way to solve this issue can be to use following from an elevated command prompt: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
This also helps on the download speed for sites that seem slow etc.

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=247

Most optimal would be to get a newer more modern router.

Posted by: Havoktzeh.4291

Havoktzeh.4291

I would encourage all that reply to this thread with either issues or NOT to include
system specs and detailed description of the problem as it occurs on your system.

Failure to include system specifics is a total FAIL on your part as it does nothing to help
nail down the central cause of these events.

Thats true, here are my specs:

Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

- BIOS : InsydeH2O Version V1.20
- Processor : Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
- Memory : 4096MB RAM
- Available OS Memory : 4092MB RAM
-GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Black screen, with gameplay music playing on the background. It need a hard reset to get the OS operative.

A lower graphic setting let me play a bit longer. Underclocking 10% cpuclock let me play let me play without said blackscreen. As pointed, underclocking is just a fix, a bad fix indeed, but not a solution.

Gogo Arenanet! i choose you!

Attachments:

(edited by Havoktzeh.4291)

Posted by: Markadis.9012

Markadis.9012

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
GPU RAM: 4043 MB
Display: 1920 × 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)

I’ve been getting the same issues, but only now its getting worse.

Before, I would get a screen reset and my graphics quality would drop. As in the shadows, the textures, and other details would disappear and the game would lag hard.

Cleaning, and testing my game on other high quality graphics games yielded no results. Game works fine everywhere else.

What I did instead was lower my shadows, shader and reduced water reflection to terrain only. This was a good temporary fix for about a week.

Now, for the last two days its back. And after every freeze and lag it gets a little worse. I am now getting the black screen, then now its completely crashing the game or freezing my computer. Also, the sound quality is starting to bug out as well as any component that is plugged in via USB would fail from time to time while I play. Once again, I have zero issues outside of the game. Only happens when GW2 is playing.

Please, a fix or update of the status of this fix would be extremely helpful.

side note: I just bought this computer pre-built from a company called Origin back in May 2012

Server- Blackgate
Characters- Levicus (Ele); Levicus Gear (Eng);
Levicus Shield (War)

Posted by: Eld.2946

Eld.2946

Here are my specs: (I have two comps exact same build, but only one has the issues.)

Model: ASUS Desktop PC CM6850 Series
Proscessor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Windows 7
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 550 Ti (Currently running version 306.23)
Display: TERRA 6222W (Resolution: 1680 × 1050, Refresh 60Hz, Color 32-bit)

Not sure if there is anything else I need to list, but I hope this will help in finding whats wrong. Also both computers are only 2 months old.

I can go up to 20-40min. from when i turn on my computer to play, before I get the first screen flicker. The screen will go black for about 2-5sec. Sometimes it will show my desktop in that brief moment before going back into the game. The sound sometimes cuts out or will still play. After the first time it happens, it will then happen every 2-5min. Every 3rd to 5th time it will stay either black screen or go to my desktop but my mouse will still have the GW2 skin. I’m able to just alt+tab to then see the error box that states that GW2 had a graphics error that it couldn’t recover from and had to close.

This started around the 10th of this month. (Not sure on exact date sorry.)
I have made sure that Windows is up-to-date.
I have downgraded the graphics drivers to several different patches.
I’ve played with the 3D settings and in-game settings.
Since I don’t know how to mess with clocking I’ve yet tried that, mostly cause I don’t want to screw up.

This is the only game that has the problem. I also play: (With no issues)
Aion
Diablo 3
Dungeons & Dragons Online
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fable 3
Mass Effect 1-3
Rift
Star Craft 2
Star Wars: The Old Republic
World of Warcraft

(edited by Eld.2946)

Posted by: Moggrathka.2981

Moggrathka.2981

Moggrathka again guys. posting dxdiag

Attachments:

Posted by: xzavian.9326

xzavian.9326

Like Eld, I have two nearly identical systems and only one has the black screen/crash issue. More specifically the screen will go black and the sound will die, eventually the sound comes back glitchy then clears up then the screen comes back with nearly zero frame rate. Lately the issue is crashing the system requiring a hard reset.

System One (has the problem)
CPU: i5-3570k standard clock 3.4ghz
Mobo: Asus P8 Z77-V LE Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 1600
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 660ti SC (Clocked with Precision X)
HDD: Corsair Force 120GB SSD

System Two (no problem)
CPU: i7-3770k standard clock 3.5ghz
Mobo: Asus P8 Z77-V LE Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 1600
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 660ti SC (Clocked with Precision X)
HDD: Corsair Force 120GB SSD

Both run similar but different USB audio headsets.

The main difference is the CPU, i5 versus i7 but the same class. Also System two is running dual monitors. Both systems have the same drivers and other software installed, both are fresh builds about two weeks ago. Both use the Precision X software that comes with EVGA cards to dynamically clock and monitor GPU performance. Precision X will upclock the GPU if it determines it is safe to do so and will downclock as needed, it seems to work very well. The system with the problem never gets above 60 degrees Centigrade at the GPU. I am not running any frame rate limits on either system. Besides the CPU and dual monitors I can not figure out any real differences that would cause this issue on one and not the other.

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

I had a different kind of freeze this time around. The game just straight up froze to a static shot. I could move the mouse icon though. I ultimately had to open up task bar and stop the client. It also did say “not responding” in the task bar.

I was in Twilight Arbor on the Sea of Sorrows server.

GPU: GTX 560 Ti 2gb of ram.

Posted by: Archetype.1364

Archetype.1364

Running on LOW graphics now.

This is the only “fix” that has allowed me to play without interruptions from BSOD crashes.

Of course, I am missing out on most of the excellent artwork and landscape and character detail that was my original attraction to this gameworld.

Any chance of an update from ANet on this anytime soon?

Posted by: Zerm.4603

Zerm.4603

had the same issue. to fix i just set it to run in windowed mode fullscreen. in the nvidia control panel set gw2 to perfer max performance. set reflections to sky and turned shaders to low. been a week and no crash so hope this helps.

Posted by: Rue.9213

Rue.9213

Guys I do believe this is resulted from ‘mostly’ because of NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service. Somehow stopping and disabling this service solved my problem. This may worth to try.
Right click to My Computer,
go to manage, and click services and applications,
then services,
find NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service,
double click it, stop it and set startup type to disable.
click apply and ok to exit and post results. I hope it works for most of you.

Posted by: Mas.9254

Mas.9254

Add myself to this list,

Crashing every time now since sunday, pre sunday it was once a day and work fine for aslong as i had the PC on. Turn on PC would crash once then reboot fixes it for the day.

But since sunday crashing constantly

Posted by: Poffo.5674

Poffo.5674

So i done all i was told to do and still get the random black screen…any eta on a fix or make it so theres a 2min relog gab when in WvWvW really annoying to be put back in an hour que.

Posted by: megakao.1856

megakao.1856

Wow, it’s gotten really bad these last couple days. I could go for several hours w/o a problem, but now I crash within 20 seconds into the game.

The screen would go black, go back into the game for a second, back to black, into the game, back to black for a third time, then finally crash to the desktop. Sometimes even BSOD.

After usng WhoCrashed, this seemed to be the culprit: nvlddmkm.sys

It was running perfectly fine since the release up until about a week ago. I could go for hours uninterrupted, then all of sudden on my next login, I get these crashes.

My comp specs are pretty the same as the spec above, all updated.

Any ideas?

megakao.1856

I hope I’m not jumping the gun here but I think I’ve found a fix for now.

In the Nvidia control panel, select the Program Settings tab. In the drop-down menu, select Guild Wars 2 (gw2.exe). Under the “Power Management Mode” feature, select “Prefer maximum performance.”

This seemed to make the a lot more stable with the sacrifice of FXAA. It’s been about an hour now with no crash (much better than 10 seconds).

Posted by: KingVulture.6172

KingVulture.6172

The past 2 days were really bad for me also. The game would crash on the character selection screen sometimes. I emailed support and they responded with this:
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Guild Wars 2 Support! We have been receiving an overwhelming response to Guild Wars 2 and we are doing our very best to answer questions as quickly as possible. You are receiving this automated message based on information provided in your original submission that indicates that we may be able to answer your question with the information provided below.

If you are running an Nvidia card with Nvidia Control panel or ATI card with Catalyst Control Center and are seeing a black login screen (but you can hear music), please try disabling Anti Aliasing as we have seen this resolve the issue. If it does not resolve the issue, please run our Game Advisor application. The Game Advisor will provide us with helpful information about your system and Internet connection.

If you are using a router, hub, or switch, please disconnect this device and connect directly to your modem before running this utility. You may have to reboot your modem and/or computer to reestablish your Internet connection.

To run Game Advisor, please perform the following steps:

To download the Game Advisor, go here: http://us.ncsoft.com/gameadvisor
When prompted, save the file to your Windows “desktop” so that you can access it easily. Please save the file before running it – running from the website can cause file issues.
Double-click on the Game Advisor file and then select the game you are experiencing an issue with.
Click on the “Test Computer and Connection” button and please wait a few minutes while the process completes.
Once the process completes, a “Test Result” window will come up. This window will provide you with a link to update your ticket as well as tell you where the diagnostic report is saved. You can also view the report file.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Basically, the important part is to try disabling anti-aliasing in your graphics settings. This has worked for me so far as I can now play for a couple hours at a time. Hope this helps….

megakao.1856

Yup, I was jumping the gun. No luck.

Same issue: screen would go black, then back to game. On the third time, it would crash to desktop, sometimes forcing me to reboot.

Did pretty much everything mentioned above.

Well, there will be an update tonight, so hopefully it will have a fix (though I highly doubt it).

Very depressing, as I was seriously enjoying this game.

Attachments:

Posted by: nelno.4627

nelno.4627

NEVERMIND! THIS DIDN’T WORK!

POSSIBLE FIX FOR THIS ISSUE: I reverted to 306.02 BETA drivers with a clean install, no 3D Vision stuff checked in the install, no reboot, crashed once more, then let GW2 Autodetect settings (from character screen) and set frame rate limit to 30. I was afterwards able to play for around an hour with no issues — that’s a huge improvement. Some combination of the above may have fixed the problem for us.

Problem machine specs:
Win 7 Pro 64-bit
Nvidia GTX 285 running 306.23 (now 306.02)
Core 2 Duo @ 2.66Ghz
4 GB RAM
1024×768×32
Older Dell

Issue description:
Wife’s GW2 would freeze with a black screen. Generally (perhaps always?) the hardware cursor was still responsive. Sometimes the game would recover. Other times I would have to alt tab and the “Guild Wars has experienced and unrecoverable graphics error” dialog would be there. Sound was still playing fine and the client appeared to be still connected — I could see her character on my machine and from her machine you could still hear the world interacting as normal (NPCs greeting, etc.). Selecting OK on the dialog would close GW2 and log her out. This would happen regularly. Sometimes 15-30 mins in between occurences, sometimes back to back.

I tried turning off SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) on our router. This had no effect.

She had some really old Nvidia drivers installed prior to this (26×.x something). I can’t remember if these were getting the crash, but I think so. I upgraded her to the 306.23 WHQL drivers and these were definitely the ones crashing constantly.

Tonight I downloaded the “legacy” 306.02 drivers from NVidia’s site and installed them (I chose “clean install” and I unchecked both 3D options). I did not reboot (install doesn’t require it, so I didn’t bother on the first try). I then ran the game and the same crash happened immediately after logging my character in to her machine. I then ran again. From the character selection screen (gear icon in upper left) I set the renderer settings to “low” and logged in. I wish I hadn’t done this because it threw off my test… I can’t be sure exactly what fixed it. I was able to log in my character and move around, but this looked horrible, so I chose “Auto detect” for the settings. This chose some medium-to-high settings, but the framerate seemed much, much improved. I also set the frame rate limit to 30 (prior to this her machine was usually around 15 – 20 fps with nothing going on). I then played GW2 for about 1 hour on her machine, participating in as many world events as possible, without any issues. The frame rate was pretty decent, dipping in battles but maintaining 30 fps when just running around — this was a big improvement.

Since I fuddled with the in-game settings after installing the 306.02 drivers I cannot say for sure what fixed it for me… but I had fuddled with all of the settings multiple times prior to that while trying to stop the crashing, to no avail, so the drivers really were the main difference.

I’ll try to post another update if this continues to work (I have my suspicions that I just got lucky… )

UPDATE: a day later and GW2 is still crashing all over the place on my wife’s machine. It’s currently locking up immediately after logging in. I’m not sure how I was able to play for an hour after the driver change last night. Perhaps it’s related to location or particular effects being rendered.

(edited by nelno.4627)

Posted by: Rhizo.5089

Rhizo.5089

I too was starting to have black screens of death since the last few patches ago. Going to the Nvidia control panel and under manage 3d settings switching multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration to single display performance mode has seemed to fix the problem for me as well, at least for now. This did not happen to me in all the beta’s and for the first few weeks of game-play. What has changed? It seems that GW2 has a few bugs in it causing fatal crashes since the game used to run fine on the same video driver build that ran perfectly until a week ago.

Posted by: nelno.4627

nelno.4627

I also tried setting Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration to “Single display performance mode” and this didn’t make any difference.

Posted by: Bandit.7542

Bandit.7542

I am also having this crash issue on my Nvidia gtx 550 ti, i have noticed the times that the crash happens is during scenes or in areas with fog effects in them. Inside water there are bubble textures and zooming into them would crash the computer, same with zooming into fog textures from smoke combo field or poison combo field.

what I found to be a TEMPORARY SOLUTION:
this solution sucks but has allowed me to return to play, is to set the settings to the “best performance” setting but then tic the options for best texture filtering, and high res character textures, and set render sampling to supersample. Hopefully this will allow someone else to get back to playing.

There needs to be a different texture option just for those types of fog textures and water textures and all that where we can set that only to very low or whatever to stop it from crashing and return all the rest to high. as of right now I have no idea what is truely causing the crash in the settings

In the river of souls, the reaper of man shall walk among his minions.

Posted by: raahk.2786

raahk.2786

I haven’t been able to play in three days now or so. This is absolutely ridiculous. I can login, but as soon as I hit that button it goes straight to black screen, with a blue window and a corrupted “Guild Wars 2” flashing in the top left corner. I don’t even get music anymore, and I have to hard reboot my computer because it shuts everything else down. I am extremely frustrated with this and other issues the game has shipped with.
I waited six years for this?

Posted by: Archetype.1364

Archetype.1364

Still crashing, even on very LOW graphics settings (but ONLY when my character goes into a cave system/underground or too near rocks). Looking forward to some kind of fix for this so I can enjoy all the effort the art team put into the graphics.

Any progress?

Posted by: pedroaraujo.2590

pedroaraujo.2590

Got solution. Tested.
I downloaded the software “MSI Afterburner” to check the temperature and the CPU usage. My Core Clock was set to 576 MHz. I changed to 400 Mhz. No crash, no black screen.

Core i7 950 / GTX 295 / Windows 7 64 / 18 Gb Ram

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

this issue has only recently cropped up for me. since the latest patch. its happened twice. once screen went black except cursor, then monitor lost signal “still had audio” then it recovered but my fps was very low until I moved to another map then it seemed normal. 2nd time started the same way but then it actually crashed and restarted the pc and I had a kernel power 41 error in the event log.

I have I7 @3.6ghz
12gigs ram
660ti card
latest drivers

oh and don’t know if its the same or others but for me both incidences were during spvp after less than an hour of playing. pve I’ve played for 3 or 4 hours straight without a single issue. but after the last crash I’m afraid to play at all for my pc’s safety lol.

Posted by: anagain.2847

anagain.2847

This is happening to me seriously badly today.

I suffer from this problem regularly but it rarely boots me out of the game. Usually the game will freeze, with a black screen, and after a few seconds I’ll be able to play again. It’s problematic when faced with mobs/players to fight, but it’s only rarely killed me.

I’d still rather it didn’t happen though.

I’ve follwoed the guidelines in the stickies and tried a number of NVidia drivers with no success.

Today it’s gotten even worse. I’ve crashed twice in the last hour in WvW. I’ll get a few black screen pauses and then the game completely crashes. Tabbing gives me a window that reports video driver errors.

One thing I have noticed is that Firefox always crashes when this graphical glitch happens. I always have a window saying Firefox has encountered a problem. I have run the game with FF off and it makes no difference. Could there be a relation?

Rhizo.5089

After playing for for a week or so, I think that I may have identified a possible culprit. Running the game in the best performance settings seems to be the one thing in common in all the crashes. I ran the computer all day long today and I had ZERO crashes in the auto-detect mode which selects the higher settings. Tonight I switched to best performance to WvWvW and within the hour the machine crashed. Can anyone else confirm that this might be their problem too?

Rhizo.5089

Ok after 3 days of running in auto-detect mode, pve and pvp, I have had only one issue that occurred under my event viewer and zero crashes to report. The error reported in event viewer was : Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

The pause and shift to black screen is exactly the same but in low performance mode the driver never recovers, it crashes.

Posted by: Merc The Forgotten.5610

Merc The Forgotten.5610

Same problem today it even happend like 3-4 times in one hour

Attachments: