Crash Issues During Patching

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

We’ve received a number of reports from players who are experiencing system crashes while installing Guild Wars 2 updates/patches. We’re very sorry to learn about this situation, and our team has taken an extensive look at the crash logs in order to identify possible sources for the problem. At the present time, we believe that a significant number of these crashing issues are related to anti-virus software produced by Lavasoft called Web Companion. Specifically, an element in that product’s DLL is not allowing Guild Wars 2 players to update their games.

Our suggestion at this time is to check to see if you have the most current version of the software. If you do not, you should update your software immediately. If you do that and continue to experience system crashes, we recommend you uninstall your Lavasoft product in order to allow the Guild Wars 2 patch to download. Once the game update is complete, you may reinstall the Lavasoft product if you so desire.

We have reached out to Lavasoft to share the issues that we’ve identified and to discuss a possible resolution. If we have any further information, such as a timeframe for a resolution, we will share it with you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I just received an update on this issue, and it appears that the problem with Lavasoft Web Companion is still causing issues for players who want to update their game.

Please read the thread above for suggestions on how to work around this problem. We’re very sorry that our efforts to address this with Lavasoft have not been productive and that some players still are being impacted by that program’s DLL blocking updates to our game.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: dabs.4685

dabs.4685

I bought the game two days ago and have no luck getting past the launcher. 75% of the time it’s all black and I get a serious coherent host crash message; 25% of the time it shows the actual launcher then shows the message. I spent good money on this game and I do not have an anti virus on my computer so that’s not the problem. I would like this to be fixed or to get my money back.

Posted by: Ornie.1827

Ornie.1827

I have no lavasoft products installed, but I am experiencing the same issue as above: system crashes trying to update GW2. Sometimes after many. many tries it succeeds. Unfortunately also no GW2 error is shown, no new crash report is generated. How can I figure out what is causing these issues? Is there any way to enable logging of some sort?

Posted by: Ornie.1827

Ornie.1827

I found how to enable logging, by adding -log to a GW2 shortcut. Unfortunately, the logfile that is created (GW2.log) is empty..

Already tried on last big patch to repair client, didn’t help. Again,l tried repair now, but doesn’t help..

Would be much appreciated if someone could help me out, because just trying to update over and over until it works, is no fun at all and takes up way too much time! :’(

Posted by: Realmjumper.8432

Realmjumper.8432

I’m actually now experiencing crashes with the patcher but I think it has to do with my anti virus which is Avast.

I uninstalled and reinstalled but experienced the same crashes. It was only after I disabled my anti virus that I was able to start patching again normally.

It should work now since my anti virus is disabled so if things change I will give you another update.

Try disabling your anti virus when you run the game.

Posted by: Aussie.3127

Aussie.3127

100% Ad-Aware (Lavasoft) was causing the crashes for me.

Posted by: Kyla Jane.6138

Kyla Jane.6138

I have the same issue and my GW2 launcher won’t work at all. It just tells me there was a serious error and I could only report it. I use McAfee. I am unable to uninstall GW2 either.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have the same issue and my GW2 launcher won’t work at all. It just tells me there was a serious error and I could only report it. I use McAfee. I am unable to uninstall GW2 either.

This thread is about the LavaSoft program(s). If you have any installed, remove them. If you do not, you have a different issue and can contact the Tech CS Team via the ‘Support’ link above/below (or on any other guildwars2.com site page) and ‘Submit a Ticket’ for assistance.

Good luck.

Posted by: Karl.8041

Karl.8041

hello fellow guilders
Total end of the world today. Switched GW2 on and it say “no internet”. Did a full uninstall, now the installer won’t work, same error, then I get GW2 has a serious error. The program say to send a report but the program say the same no internet. I know I have the internet as I’m here now lol.

“May our wings forever find your sky.”

Posted by: Karl.8041

Karl.8041

BTW was playing the same game late last night. Nothing has changed on my end

“May our wings forever find your sky.”

Posted by: Danzig.4051

Danzig.4051

I have a one week old gaming computer that is fully updated with no viruses, malware on the PC.

So I go to log into Guild Wars today.

Connection errors detected retrying…..

Ahh, this song and dance again, lovely I used to get this on my old computer a lot over the past year…..

So I completely disable virus and malware scanners as well as firewall.

And I try again same thing connection errors detected retrying……

My thoughts are simple it is long overdue for Anet to completely redesign the game updater and the in-game cam due to as we all know they are both noob and have repeatedly proven themselves to be unreliable.

Have a great day