Does everyone have to lower settings for Teq

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

So I’ve started doing Teq recently and realised I can’t finish the event without the game crashing. I’ve been advise to lower some of my graphics settings to prevent crashing (this is after already repairing GW2, and reinstalling the whole game).

I was wondering does everyone lower their settings for Teq to prevent crashing on a full map?

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

For all of the large-scale events, I always lower my Character Model Limit – that causes hellish frame rate issues if I don’t. That still doesn’t guarantee a crash-free Tequatl run though, as I still occasionally crash near the end of the fight.

Everything else I keep the same.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I never lower my settings for anything other than removing post-processing on the rare occasions I don’t like sepia tones. I don’t do Teq very often, generally just when Sparkfly Events are the daily, but I get through it fine on max settings.

I do tend to fight north defense rather than in the zerg, though. That might make a difference. I did have one Teq crash in the last few months. I can’t remember if that was on my usual computer or on the old junker I took to my mom’s for a month.

Anyway, no, I don’t lower my settings. So not everyone does.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Not since I upgraded my computer.

Before that, yes.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Try using the -repair tag on your bookmark.

It sounds like you might have a damaged file/s in the gw2.dat.

You may also be running out of RAM if it only ever happens in very large scale fights.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I always lower my character model limit, character model quality, and shadows for big events. The latter two mainly for the simple reason that the room my computer is in is hellishly hot at this time of year and I just don’t want to risk overheating my machine – and it IS so hot it’s at risk of that. Honestly, I need to have someone come out and look at the central air and how it’s connected to this room.

I always have post processing turned off just because I don’t like it in most areas save godslost swamp.

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

You may also be running out of RAM if it only ever happens in very large scale fights.

I ran the GW2 repair and it didn’t work, I reinstalled the whole game and that didn’t work either. I have 16GB ram on a 64bit OS system on a decent computer, but I get 5.6MB OOM (out of memory) error, which makes no sense. Only had this happen in Teq, but it is always on a full map (i.e. the mostly likely time Teq will succeed).

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Dumb question, how is your internet speed?

My friend has a much better computer than me and he can not ever do Tequatl. If I take my comp to his house, I can’t do Tequatl. The game will always crash.

At home it runs just fine. I don’t ever change my settings.
All my settings are on High and all check boxes are checked. My FPS varies between 20 and 60 (it may drop lower but I don’t notice it). This is all on ~five year old hardware.

(edited by Fiddlestyx.9714)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I have some older hardware on my pc and I don’t recall having to adjust settings for Tequatl. I haven’t engaged him in quite some time, so I could be mistaken.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I have character model quantity down to low all the time. I also don’t have names displayed all the time (I habitually press ctrl anyways when looking or enemies anyways). So no, I don’t.

Sometimes I do for Claw of Jormag. But only in high times.

I always do for sandstorm in Dry Top though.

And this is due to internet more than graphics, I think. Back when I lived in Chicago over a year ago, I could run ANYTHING in GW2 max settings. Even Claw and Tequatl.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

My computer isn’t particularly beefy, but I never feel the need to lower my settings. I lose frames from all the skill and particle effects, but not enough that I actually lose track of what’s happening/nor does it give me any crash bugs.

tl;dr: Nope.

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I recently built a beefy computer, so no.

Before that, I wasn’t playing Guild Wars 2, but I was playing other games on lower settings.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I always do…it’s easier to see the red circles on the ground that way anyways. I just switch to “Best Performance” for Teq and then “Autodetect” back after the fight.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I play on Ultra but have other character models set to medium, purely out of comfort in general gameplay, I don’t like a crowded screen.

Kitten.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I always have to keep them low for Teq and any other big event. It becomes an even worse problem on macs due to a bug awhile back.

I just leave them low all the time so I can never forget. Yes, it is annoying. Too bad graphics settings can not be dynamic or something.

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

I ran the GW2 repair and it didn’t work, I reinstalled the whole game and that didn’t work either. I have 16GB ram on a 64bit OS system on a decent computer, but I get 5.6MB OOM (out of memory) error, which makes no sense. Only had this happen in Teq, but it is always on a full map (i.e. the mostly likely time Teq will succeed).

Usually if you get OOM error it means you ran out of virtual memory, or at least that has been my experience. Currently I run on high settings with character model limit & quality turned to low and I can get around 25-30 fps in the middle of the zerg.

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

After megaserver was introduced, I found my game crashing frequently enough at world bosses to just always change my graphics setting to “Best Performance” for world bosses. Better than crashing after investing 15-20 minutes of my time. I have forgotten at teq once or twice recently and did not crash- it probably depends on your computer.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

So I’ve started doing Teq recently and realised I can’t finish the event without the game crashing. I’ve been advise to lower some of my graphics settings to prevent crashing (this is after already repairing GW2, and reinstalling the whole game).

I was wondering does everyone lower their settings for Teq to prevent crashing on a full map?

It’s a known issue:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Client-crashes-during-heavy-graphic-fights/page/2#post5322839

Basically, for some systems, when it hits 3gb the client can’t handle it and crashes – but for some it doesn’t. Amazing rigs can see it crash, while cheap ones are fine – it’s all over the place. ANet is aware of it, but it’s hard to remedy it seems.

The safest ‘fix’ is just to turn down textures and the one that shows characters around you to minimum. Their are various other tips on that thread also.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

I use to crash all the time in those big fights, then I found this: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/345216-world-boss-crashes/

I’ve never had a crash since making those changes noted on that web page.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

I run everything on ultra with NVIDIA injector pushing everything at max antialiasing & anisotropic settings, game looks amazing lately, but even so Teq maybe drops me to 35fps worst case from a typical 50-70.

It’s your CPU, not your GPU, that GW2 utilizes, so if possible and you can safely do it, OC your CPU,RAM & voltage.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I run everything on ultra with NVIDIA injector pushing everything at max antialiasing & anisotropic settings, game looks amazing lately, but even so Teq maybe drops me to 35fps worst case from a typical 50-70.

It’s your CPU, not your GPU, that GW2 utilizes, so if possible and you can safely do it, OC your CPU,RAM & voltage.

Which is frustrating. People blame it on the fact that I use a mac but look at the specs: a 3.5 GHz i7 with 24 GB of ram and booting off of an SSD. If I did not say what OS it was people would just assume I had a PC with good specs. I rarely break a 50% CPU load though, even with GW2 and all my usual stuff. It My troubles with GW2 are all because of the aforementioned bug.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Windows 10 curiously enough gave me ~10 more FPS in these mass-combat-situations. No clue. Maybe I had a wrong driver installed or something. Getting ~30 instead of ~20 now.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Loxias.2375

Some tips on performance:

There are a lot of factors in making games perform at their capacity in Windows. To begin with, if your OS and game are not installed on kitten drive, you will not achieve 2/3 of the performance of the newer rigs that are. How Windows is told to utilize those drives is another thing. Windows performace settings can make an impact also. As for Mac… well, you get what you get.

Non-gaming motherboards, RAM & cooling make a large impact as well. It doesn’t matter what your CPU is, it will only perform to the extent that the heat is dispersed by default. The simple act of cleaning the vents and using a high quality laptop cooler can add ~10 fps, because there is BIOS-level software that adjusts the CPU rate based on heat and voltage available, even without tweaking.

Also, i7 is a huge family of chips. Anything prior to the Devil’s Canyon series is not going to perform that well comparatively. I run an i5-4690k (i build i5 & i7 systems to spec, chip depends on application) on a high-end ASUS Rogue board with a H-100M cooler. I have had a stable OC of 4.5-4.7 with no crashes and perfect game performance for months, but I wasn’t able to get there without the cooler. I’ve managed to hit 4.9gHz, but things get a bit weird on the i5 over 4.7.

The whole “Pre-Upgrade Win10” button was just a marketing tool and that’s one reason people have lost performance, particularly on non-SSD drives.

I recommend backing up (or moving) all data, then download the Win10 full iso and clean install from a USB. (You don’t need a serial/code just a MS account & valid OS associated) Update a few times, re-install everything (games, you only need to install patchers and move the data back), lower Windows performance settings, and set NVIDIA mode (if applicable) to Performance.

Right-click “My Computer” and go to Properties (System)>Advanced System Settings>System Protection. Turn off Restore for all drives (Disable System Protection). It’s a waste of space and resources and does not work outside of office systems.
Download CCleaner, check “remove old Windows installation”, old prefetch data, temporary files, and temporary internet files and run.

If not on an SSD, after cleaning, restart and run Defraggler and sit back and let it finish. (You should never defrag SSD drives.) In Explorer, right-click your hard drive and in Properties, uncheck “Allow Windows to index this drive…” (NON-SSD ONLY!)

At this point you should have the best fps you’ve had to date, based upon your in-game settings.

Loxias.2375

For some reason, “S S D” in the first paragraph, second sentence was changed to “kitten” but not in further text.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Nope. I run everything on high, but turn the character limit down. In general though I’ve only had a handful of crashes overall at Teq.