Error: authenticator code incorrect

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: jesse.4865

jesse.4865

Hi

For a few weeks now, after typing the app-generated code I get an error that it’s incorrect.
Sometimes it takes several tries for me to log in.
It used to work well previously. I don’t know what could be the cause of it.

Do you have any ideas?
I thought of simply unlinking the 2FA from my account but due to this bug/error it won’t accept the two generated codes and I’m starting to get a bit angry now.

Posted by: Cat.7406

Cat.7406

I had to set the clock on my Android Phone that I use with Google Authenticator for GW2 to an incorrect value (approx. -1 minute) to be able to Login to GW2.

Example: if the correct time is 08:00 I have to set the Time on my Android Phone to 07:59. After this change the codes generated by Google Authenticator are accepted again by GW2.

From my point of view this means that the clock on the GW2 authentication servers is wrong by approx 1 minute.

Posted by: voidvector.2780

voidvector.2780

Just had this happen to me.

I didn’t change my clock. I just put in my code, waited a minute, and submitted. That worked.

Posted by: SpaceRaccoon.9684

SpaceRaccoon.9684

Just want to say that I have been getting this problem too. I have separate authenticators on mobile and on desktop and they are within agreement to about 1 second.

I even re-linked my authenticators and the problem is still there. The client will not seem to accept a fresh code but only one that has expired or is about to expire.

Posted by: Lepanto.1827

Lepanto.1827

hi, i have the same problem and i solve wait a minute after insert the code… thanks much…
please anet solve this problem…

Posted by: Sol.6213

Sol.6213

Exact same issue. I have to wait until the current codes timer is expired before entering it in order for GW2 to accept it. I have the same time on my phone as I do my browser, so I suspect the login server time is off. In game chat appears to be on the same time as my browser and phone as they flipped minutes within less than a second of each other.

(edited by Sol.6213)

Posted by: nyctalopia.4735

nyctalopia.4735

Just encountered this issue and this thread helped me work around it. I hope it gets solved soon!

Posted by: sunrun.4521

sunrun.4521

Yes, I’ve been experiencing this as well.

The system relies on having accurately set time on the server and client app, so it seems to me like the GW2 servers’ clocks are out a bit.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I can verify this as well. I’ve been fiddling with NTP the last couple of hours to see if one of the servers are off, but MS’s servers and the US Gov servers seem to be in sync. My phone carrier network is ahead by 5 seconds… but thats pretty normal for them.

As for the authentication… the codes are only valid starting at t-10 of the app’s rollover timer. This means the Anet auth server is ahead by at least 20 seconds PLUS whatever the tolerance window for TOTP they’re using (which shouldn’t be higher then +30 seconds if they follow common practices). That is insanely huge when you consider data centers are rarely off by more then a few seconds from a global time source, since values higher then 5 seconds start to mess with time stamped protocols (authentication and encryption being the most sensitive).

Posted by: Christian.1408

Christian.1408

I can confirm this issue, too.
Please fix this. It is really annoying, having to wait until the code almost expires.

Posted by: ranger.8364

ranger.8364

Adding another voice to the issue.

Noticed this a few days ago myself and had a small panic attack, it does seem that in order for the code to be accepted, it has to be about to expire. If you try to put in a freshly generated code, you will get an error (Error Code: 11:1012:7:912).

Posted by: CipheR.2741

CipheR.2741

Same issue here, having to wait till the code is just about to expire before it will work. Tried unlinking and relinking, and different apps. The servers on their end are definitely off by a solid 20 seconds.

Posted by: Outlaw.3421

Outlaw.3421

Yes, I am running into the same issue as well. There is apparently a desync with my iOS Google Authenticator and the server by a good 20 seconds. I can only login using the final quarter of the timer.

I tried to remove the Authenticator and add it again, but I can not provide two codes for the approval. The first code expires by the time I can use the second code. This didn’t happen until one of the recent Path of Fire Client updates though.

I don’t want to necessarily send it a support ticket because this seems more like a bug that could be patched versus running into the issue again the future.

Posted by: Lenaja.5463

Lenaja.5463

Same issue here. Tried with several authenticator applications but no luck. About 30 seconds delay here. Connecting from Germany if that helps (don’t know how many authenticator servers there are).

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

This is driving me crazy, so I’m glad it’s not just me and may not even be an issue on my end.

Posted by: Irkm Desmet.3928

Irkm Desmet.3928

I can confirm this issue too. Seems like some kind of clock skew an arena nets side. I have the impression it’s getting worse over time. Today i had to wait for the code to expire to get it accepted.

Oh and syncing the clock of the authenticator app does not help. It tells me the clock on my device is already correct.

Codes for other website. I.E. amazon, google work correctly for me.

It would be nice if we could get an official statement on this.

Posted by: Sil.9205

Sil.9205

Thank you guys. i had same issue and i was panicking, resolved waiting the code to expire and used the code just expired

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

There is a clock drift and it is not on my (river)side!
The last few weeks the displayed code was only valid for the last quarter. As of today, the displayed code is only valid if the next one is already displayed!

it was written…

Posted by: OnyX.9027

OnyX.9027

had this issue a few moments ago and what has been written here is 100% correct

the servers are 1 minute out of sync, if you pu tin the correct code the moment it is given by the authenticator then it says it is incorrect, however wait 1 minute for the code to change and enter the previous code and it works

therefore there is a definite 1 minute desync on gw2 server

Reservoir Shugo – Necro
Soul of Onyx – Guardian