FPS Issue with the 9/9 patch [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ishotellet.7184

ishotellet.7184

Ok so i just came back from a small break and after installing the latest patch i went down to 15-20 fps in general. It does not matter if i’m in the citys or in www. I just want to know if anyone else is having major fps drop in general. I’ve tried different driver versions and it’s only in GW i’ve got this issue.

Before installing this patch i could run GW without any problems at all and i even tried lowering everything to the lowest, nothing happend.

21 days later edit….. What have ArenaNet told us ?

After 9 days we got this;

I merged two active threads, and we appreciate the reports.

If you’ve recently noticed an drop in FPS, please post in this thread with the following:

• Your location
  • Time and date of incident (plus time zone)
  • Game World
  • Map
  • Brief description of what you’re seeing
  • Ticket number, if you submitted one.

Thank you much!

(Since latency is a different issue and is not always related to this problem, I made a separate thread for that.)

Hmm don’t know what to say…

After 14 days we got this;

Submitting a ticket is the best way for us to collect this information from players, but on top of the information requested by Gaile, it would be incredibly helpful to get system information as well: OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, Mobo, and whatever else you feel like sharing. It would also be helpful to know what your FPS was originally, and what you’re seeing now, or if there is anything in particular that causes these FPS drops or if they’re consistently low.

Remember, the more information that you’re able to provide the more helpful this will be to us in investigating this issue.

Stalling the issue much ?

16 days;

Hey everyone,

I appreciate the wealth of info that you’ve all provided and rest assured, we’re still hammering away at this issue though we can’t say for certain when we will have a fix rolled out as these types of issues can often be very difficult to repro in house.

That said, we’re still investigating the issue but in the mean time, if you haven’t already, I’d advise turning on Vertical Sync or setting the Frame Limiter to 60 FPS as this does appear help (at least for some).

I’m sorry I don’t have more news to provide at the moment though I would advise checking back with this thread for more updates on the issue.

Holy moly!

17 days;

Just curious to see the response here – is there any change in performance when playing in FullScreen mode? We’ve seen this issue occur mostly in “Windowed” and “FullScreen Windowed” and we’d like to see if you all experience any difference while playing in FullScreen mode.

Thanks again everyone!

I’m curious aswell..

26 days edit; Nothing at all from Anet, not a single update or answer since my last little edit.

32 days edit; Still not an single answer or update.

34 days edit; Finally something!

We’ve been taking this performance issue very seriously and have spent the last few weeks trying to isolate the various causes you guys are experiencing.

Performance is very tricky because there are so many variables as to why the game could be running poorly, especially if it used to run fine. It hasn’t been affecting everybody and some of the folks experiencing issues have found them to be due to outside forces such as poor hardware cooling. We know this is a real issue from the things you guys have posted here and have been trying to find the root of the problem. Simply put, it’s been taking time to identify what the issues could be and trying to reproduce them in-house has proven quite elusive.

We’ve identified a number of serious issues some of which were introduced into the 9/9 build and have code changes on the way to address them. We don’t expect it to fix everyone’s performance problems but we certainly hope it will help the majority of you on this thread. I will follow up when the code changes go live and hope that you guys will report back as to whether they are making a difference or not.

I want to give props to you guys for helping each other out and providing helpful insight into this problem. I know it can be really frustrating, it is for us too so please bear with us. We sincerely want to make your playing experience the best we can.

3 months+ edit; Nothing….. guess they abandoned us.

(edited by ishotellet.7184)

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Yes. The major performance improvements they added to the patch? Working exactly the opposite as intended. Clearly it was all well-tested before it went out the door.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Major-Skill-Delay-Lag-since-new-patch/

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

ishotellet.7184

Yes. The major performance improvements they added to the patch? Working exactly the opposite as intended. Clearly it was all well-tested before it went out the door.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Major-Skill-Delay-Lag-since-new-patch/

Yea well guess i’ll have to take another small break then until this is fixed… the game is not even playable at this state.

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

I’m having FPS issues too, it’s become unbearably choppy in spvp and that’s with only 10 characters maximum on my screen. Even without people on screen it’s still not as smooth as before.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

I can confirm this.

I changed my setting on Monday to improve my performance (shaders/shadows at low) and as expected, the game run smoothly. Today it run awfully, especially on Divinity (and is not the amount of players because is the same in my home instance.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Self Ignition.1640

Self Ignition.1640

The patch changed my gw2.exe priority to below normal, which resulted in min. -15 fps. Changed it to normal and got usual fps. Download ProcessLasso and check whether it is the case.

(i5-4670k-gtx 770 oc)

[sW] Self – SFR EU

Ark Bladesteele.2943

So, to play around with things, I deleted my local data from Users\MyUsername\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\

So that gave me a fresh autodetect start. Oddly, no hitching, no terrible FPS. So I started to switch things back to my original config and run back and forth between the same two points over and over to see if I observed a change. Everything was fine, until I tried enabling High-Res Character Textures.

Autodetect put High-Res Character Textures unchecked by default. Turning it on immediately caused the FPS to drop and massive stuttering/hitching. The odd thing is, it doesn’t actually take effect without a map change/restart, yet just having the option checked without changing maps causes the FPS to plummet. What’s the problem here? I suppose I’ll just run around with everyone else’s characters looking like washed-out crap until you guys fix it. Seriously, on a rig as powerful as mine, I shouldn’t have to disable this setting to get a framerate that’s anywhere decent. I’d also like to know why checking this option without changing maps causes the framerate drop when it doesn’t even change character texture resolution unless I do.

Well Anet, there’s your starting point. Have fun.

(edited by Ark Bladesteele.2943)

ishotellet.7184

The patch changed my gw2.exe priority to below normal, which resulted in min. -15 fps. Changed it to normal and got usual fps. Download ProcessLasso and check whether it is the case.

(i5-4670k-gtx 770 oc)

Well the priority is at normal and i even flipped it to high and no difference there. Since it’s not only me i think we can confirm that this is another patch that mess with our game.

And as i said, i’ve turned everything down to the very minimum and still nothing.

Guess we’ll have to wait..

Posted by: Creswald.1624

Creswald.1624

Same here.
Game ran smoothly, a little fps drops while fighting bosses, everything was fine.
Now, I can’t even move in a deserted area without experiencing major fps drops. :/ Game is barely playable, but groups events.. not at all. I attended two boss fights, really low bosses, nothing too big (fire elemental, maw). I could barely move.
Please fix this.. It’s not a great experience..

Posted by: Grim Rambie.3795

Grim Rambie.3795

Got the same problem, I was hoping there would come a performance update instead of this downgrade! I can’t find the performance update in the patch note..

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Guys, it’s the High-Res Character Textures setting. Untick it. It’s messed up right now. Your framerate should go back to pre-patch levels.

data.4093

I don’t have that ticked. It’s something else destroying the frame rate.

Posted by: torturesquid.7638

torturesquid.7638

It’s all the minis that people slotted and are running around with.
Right now they’re tied with the 2 character model options so if you turns those down you’ll a fps increase.
You’ll also be back to the dark ages of 2012 , playing along nametags and placeholder armors.

We really need a separate “hide other people’s minis” option.

Posted by: wilfredhariden.3682

wilfredhariden.3682

Agreed. Had 50-60 fps yesterday with Hi-res textures. Now its 13-16 FPS without hi-res textures being checked.

ishotellet.7184

Guys, it’s the High-Res Character Textures setting. Untick it. It’s messed up right now. Your framerate should go back to pre-patch levels.

I do not have that one ticked either so it’s not that. Would be nice if someone official could give us something atleast.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I didn’t think to check this forum. I am having the same issue. Unchecking High Res Char Text appears to have helped a bit, but still didn’t make it “normal.”

I suggest people post their graphics settings, just for extra information dump. I’m going to experiment with Lowest on character model display.

Attachments:

Or words to that effect.

data.4093

Opening up the options window and looking at the FPS counter tells me I’m doing fine. It’ll say 30-40fps when I’m really getting 10-15. Can’t play like this…

Posted by: thommay.9642

thommay.9642

It is a pity, but i have to stop playing gw2 untill the they fix this lagging, it`s not playable anymore. From 50-60 fps, the game drop down to 12-15 after the latest patch.

Posted by: lagoriel.6475

lagoriel.6475

It is a pity, but i have to stop playing gw2 untill the they fix this lagging, it`s not playable anymore. From 50-60 fps, the game drop down to 12-15 after the latest patch.

Instead of GW2 you should blame you settings or your hardware, I’m playing with an ancient setup (e4300@3.2ghz, 3gb DDR2-800 RAM and a Radeon 6850) and I am at >>50fps when alone and even in massive WvW-fight hardly ever below 15fps with high specs except the culling options and textures.

wilfredhariden.3682

Instead of GW2 you should blame you settings or your hardware, I’m playing with an ancient setup (e4300@3.2ghz, 3gb DDR2-800 RAM and a Radeon 6850) and I am at >>50fps when alone and even in massive WvW-fight hardly ever below 15fps with high specs except the culling options and textures.

Oh come on, you must be kidding. We wrote that we got 50-60 FPS day before patch and now its 15-17. You really think that our rigs turned into pumpkins by night?

lagoriel.6475

mhmmm… just read that you have trouble even without hi-res textures… maybe different cpus/components are affected in different ways and I am simply lucky with my c2d and my GFs i5-2500. AMD-Issue, maybe?

wilfredhariden.3682

Got Intel and GeForce. So its not AMD issue, at least for me.

Posted by: thommay.9642

thommay.9642

lagoriel.6475:

thommay.9642:

you didnt read the whole contribution i made, as i said it whas ok bfore the patch but now its a mess. My spec is:

Intel Core i7-4770K (Haswell-DT, C0)
3500 MHz (35.00×100.0) @ 3800 MHz (38.00×100.0)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-S02 (MS-7821)
Chipset: Intel Z87 (Lynx Point)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 666 MHz, 9.0-9-9-24
– 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM – A-DATA Technology DDR3 1600
– 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM – A-DATA Technology DDR3 1600
Graphics: EVGA e-GeForce GTX 760
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, 2048 MB GDDR5 SDRAM

but it doesnt matter , i could have three of this rigs and still get low fps right now.

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

FPS took a hit with this patch, is it only a few of us? I don’t even have hi-res textures enabled.

lagoriel.6475

Dont scare me… I ordered sth similar just last night :o It is what I call a decent setup and 15fps are ludicrous beyond excuse. I hope we’ll find out soon what caused this deterioration… : (

Posted by: Cyrgo.3721

Cyrgo.3721

Even though I don’t have a top of the line rig, the game used to play fine before the patch, but after the new patch I have been experiencing a drop in FPS and a lag in sound and animations.
For example, when I use my signet of rage the shout “I can outrun a centaur” comes 1 second later and the signet animation over my character comes 1 second after that.

Ark Bladesteele.2943

mhmmm… just read that you have trouble even without hi-res textures… maybe different cpus/components are affected in different ways and I am simply lucky with my c2d and my GFs i5-2500. AMD-Issue, maybe?

Nope, it’s not AMD. I had problems with the hi-res issue and I’m all AMD (cpu, chipset, gpu) and disabling that fixed my FPS issue.

Posted by: Belmont.4682

Belmont.4682

Same here, strangely i’m only having the maassive FPS drop/stuttering in Divinity’s Reach o.o, even in LA or in orr temple events clusterfuc*** that doesnt happen, very strange.

ishotellet.7184

Dont scare me… I ordered sth similar just last night :o It is what I call a decent setup and 15fps are ludicrous beyond excuse. I hope we’ll find out soon what caused this deterioration… : (

Do not worry about that, the fault is not on our end.. hopefully someone will answer us soon.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Yes, same for me, stuttering all the time, very annoying, wasn’t like that before patch.

Couple of other topics where people complaining about this.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-patch-game-running-slow/first#post4395432
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/FPS-gains-since-latest-patch-GJ-Anet/first#post4395993

Posted by: Tien.3865

Tien.3865

My FPS remains about the same, but I’ve been having noticeable stuttering issues since the patch.

Borlis Pass solo roamer

Posted by: Masaru.1457

Masaru.1457

I was having the same problem as you guys, but I fixed it last night. I’m not sure if this’ll work for you but you guys can give it a try. Right click your gw2 exe and go to properties. Look at the location of your file there and at the end of it add -fps. It should look like Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -fps (there’s a space after the .exe" then -fps) then after the -fps add a space and put your frame rate 10 above what it used to be. So, it should look like Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -fps 70 if you had 60 fps before. Apply the settings and go into the game and turn your frame limiter in-game to unlimited. This is what worked for me so you may tinker with the -fps command and change the number around a bit if putting it 10 above doesn’t work for you. Hope this helps at least some of you.

(edited by Masaru.1457)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I’m going to experiment with Lowest on character model display.

For what it’s worth, I tried this last night and it seems to have helped a lot. Can’t see anyone’s cool outfit choices now, but it’s better than playing in picture frames.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

So, to play around with things, I deleted my local data from Users\MyUsername\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\

So that gave me a fresh autodetect start. Oddly, no hitching, no terrible FPS. So I started to switch things back to my original config and run back and forth between the same two points over and over to see if I observed a change. Everything was fine, until I tried enabling High-Res Character Textures.

Autodetect put High-Res Character Textures unchecked by default. Turning it on immediately caused the FPS to drop and massive stuttering/hitching. The odd thing is, it doesn’t actually take effect without a map change/restart, yet just having the option checked without changing maps causes the FPS to plummet. What’s the problem here? I suppose I’ll just run around with everyone else’s characters looking like washed-out crap until you guys fix it. Seriously, on a rig as powerful as mine, I shouldn’t have to disable this setting to get a framerate that’s anywhere decent. I’d also like to know why checking this option without changing maps causes the framerate drop when it doesn’t even change character texture resolution unless I do.

That was a huge help! Stopped the constant graphic ‘lag’ I kept getting. Thanks!

Posted by: TokyoGhost.6492

TokyoGhost.6492

That was a huge help! Stopped the constant graphic ‘lag’ I kept getting. Thanks!

Before patch, that option was checked at my settings(i can remember this clearly) and I never had lag. Now I do have. It went from ~50 to ~10 fps. What is wrong here ANET?

Fix it, I wanna play…

I made so much mistakes that I now make mistakes without mistake.

Posted by: Nikaido.6739

Nikaido.6739

So, it should look like Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -fps 70 if you had 60 fps before. Apply the settings and go into the game and turn your frame limiter in-game to unlimited.

I tried your method, in the character menu section… the FPS is 70, but when I’m actually inside the game, it went back to FPS 15. (with time being… it increase to… around 19-21)

I never click on High Res Character Text, Frame Limiter is unlimited…

My game was only lagging if I’m in huge world boss event (such as Teq, Jormag). But now I noticed the huge lag since yesterday night. Anet’s several update made it even worse… this is serious matter and anet has to fix it soon. I’m very disappoint it at Anet.

Posted by: TokyoGhost.6492

TokyoGhost.6492

Any updates on this? Seems nobody at ANET read this lol, wee need assistance from their devs.

I made so much mistakes that I now make mistakes without mistake.

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

I have that problem too. My game used to run smooth and now is awful. I am going to take a break to try another games.

Posted by: Grim Rambie.3795

Grim Rambie.3795

Hope that a developer will give a reaction soon.. The update intended to give us a better performance but it just got worse.. Why can’t I find anything about it in the release notes…

Posted by: kittysharkattack.3965

kittysharkattack.3965

I posted this in another thread, but I hope it will help, somewhat?

I found that the only way to get back my prior performance was to set Character Model Limit to Medium and Character Model Quality to Lowest, but honestly, it just sucks seeing everyone else wearing the same flesh-colored armor.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Well no issues here but I still get my same 45 to 85 fps no improvement but no decrease either, not sure what changed for you all. Also it’s sure funny how people confuse lag for fps and fps for lag these are two totally different issues and are not necessarily the same issue good luck but for some of you you may need to do a complete reinstall of Windows. I think that’s why I have no issues is because I’m running the game on a clean install of Windows with maybe TS or Ventrilo running in the background.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Asvaldur.4389

Asvaldur.4389

Same here, having horrible frame rate around any area…i cant run 3 feet wihout having this stutering graphic behavior and all started after this build.

Thing is, i double checked my pc performance, checked if was an issue with my GPU, checked if was memory issues, checked anything hardware related that could came into my mind and nothing. Checked also any posible software related problem into my PC and its perfect.

Any one heard about an official possition about this problem?

Would be nice to know im not the only one experiencing this… wich its killing my experience of the game and its making me not want to play it anymore…

Any one ?

ishotellet.7184

but for some of you you may need to do a complete reinstall of Windows. I think that’s why I have no issues is because I’m running the game on a clean install of Windows with maybe TS or Ventrilo running in the background.

Really, why do you post stuff like that ? This have NOTHING to do with a clean installation of windows…. facepalm of the year goes to you.

Posted by: reiko.6081

reiko.6081

Same problem here… i was getting like 45-55fps in a certain place where i check differents setups. After patch with that same setup i’m getting 25-35fps.. please Anet can you reply on this?? It’s very disappointed cause i was hoping a gain on my fps with the patch, not the opposite.. =/

Windows 8.1
i7 3635QM 2,4GH
AMD Radeon 8870HD
1080×1920
i’m in a laptop

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

Same problem here today at claw of jormag i got 2 FPS!! never get so low fps in this event or any other event.

daimasei.4091

Opening up the options window and looking at the FPS counter tells me I’m doing fine. It’ll say 30-40fps when I’m really getting 10-15. Can’t play like this…

My FPS remains about the same, but I’ve been having noticeable stuttering issues since the patch.

This!

Though, it seems to be a little better now, however, the stuttering is still noticeable.

-ArenaNet

Posted by: Wyvern.5341

Wyvern.5341

I’ve been getting major issues since the latest patch. I’d usually maintain a good 50-60fps with all the settings set to their highest, but now I’m getting around 10-15 in major cities and around 25-30 outdoors.

Posted by: Feroni.3814

Feroni.3814

had like 25fps at world bosses and now its at 10fps almost unplayable

i5 3570k@4.2k ghz
gtx 570 4kvram
16gb ram

daimasei.4091

Update: After the latest patch, the game run as smooth as before

-ArenaNet

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

Lag/Low FPS is plaguing me. My system isn’t great but after the feature patch I was able to run settings on medium-medium low with 22-27fps. Now with the latest September 10th or 11th patch, everything has reversed and now with everything on lowest I experience 10-15fps, and IF any other players come into view my FPS tanks to an unplayable 3-5fps. This is kittening me off.

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.