FPS Issue with the 9/9 patch [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

Hey everyone,

I appreciate the wealth of info that you’ve all provided and rest assured, we’re still hammering away at this issue though we can’t say for certain when we will have a fix rolled out as these types of issues can often be very difficult to repro in house.

That said, we’re still investigating the issue but in the mean time, if you haven’t already, I’d advise turning on Vertical Sync or setting the Frame Limiter to 60 FPS as this does appear help (at least for some).

I’m sorry I don’t have more news to provide at the moment though I would advise checking back with this thread for more updates on the issue.

How can it be possible that every kitten patch you screw something up ?

The FPS issue is infuriating, not only we have to challenge everyday cardboard servers and disconnects all over, now not even having a good rig will help from your poor coding.

Anet, it’s UNACCEPTABLE that such an urgent and widespread issue is still here after TWO WEEKS from the patch that OBVIOUSLY broke the game.

I’m astounished.

Update:

i checked my cores temp and i got the fps drop is caused by a huge overheating of my cpu ( which is clean and dust-free with a very powerful freezing device).

Since i’ve an intel i7 with 4.5ghz power it’s quite obvious something went wrong with latest patch coding.

Playing the game could cause damage to our rigs, wow.

(edited by Mrbig.8019)

Posted by: ClumsyPanda.6897

ClumsyPanda.6897

I can add my two cents that GW 2 is using CPU at about 55% – 75% (sic!). When playing since 15.09.2014 (first entry in log) i had: one BSOD Code 116 (GPU related), several instances of “Driver fail”. Did clean install of old driver same story.
To check if its on my end i used Furmark. My GPU was stable under 99% load and at 72-73 C. PSU also works fine so it provides power needed. Memtest turned also good. Did sweep for any “unwanted guests” also nothing.
Anet fix your game, money gonna run from you if you don’t pay attention to how your game works.

Also, as side note pls provide information that we have 3rd party software running in background and it was brought with update. I don’t like to see 2 new processes running and having to google them up to see what they rly are, or to inspect folder to find license for them. Shadow games are bad for business these days and don’t help it.

Posted by: Fries.9234

Fries.9234

I recently had to downgrade GPU to a spare Radeon HD 5850 until I can get my replacement and I can’t run this game stable (big events crash now with GPU, WvW and World events, usually dragons) after switching cards and reinstalling drivers. This is on an Intel i7 4790k with 12GB of RAM. I might need to bump settings waaaaaaay lower than High and medium but I played to 80 back at launch with from what I remember was an ATi Radeon HD4870, 4GB of RAM, and an AMD Phenom X4 955 BE processor on High and that felt more stable than right now (minus the framerate) ._.

Edit: For more info, I have played this game on a Radeon HD6950 (dead fan) and a Radeon R290 (returned to upgrade to an nVidia GTX970) as well, which can probably power through bad optimizations.

(edited by Fries.9234)

Posted by: MookySnacks.8532

MookySnacks.8532

Time and Date of Incident: Since Feat. Pack Release, Problems Worsened after Most Recent Patch
Game World: Stormbluff Isle
Map: Any
Brief description of what you’re seeing : Noticeable FPS drops, often to the point of a near freeze frame. The FPS counter itself jumps all over the place from 30 FPS to 100+ FPS and back down within seconds, even when nothing is happening. In reality, I feel I’m more likely getting a usual FPS of maybe ~40 FPS that often drops abruptly to maybe 2 FPS or worse.
OS, CPU, GPU, RAM:
Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Geforce GTX 570, 8 GB RAM (7.98 GB usable)
Original FPS: ~76 FPS
Strongest Drops Most Commonly While Casting, Though happen even while simply walking, just not as often.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Yeah, I’m still seeing the same “Odd Stuttering” issue since the patch. Since we have so many cases of players like myself who didn’t change anything on their rigs I’ve been thinking maybe it’s not a client side rendering issue. To me it feels more like a server side communication problem given the random nature of it. I know we were having the DDOS attacks around the same time so looking at it from a WAN perspective might be warranted.

Specifically, did you change any of the communication stack either with the patch or around the same time?

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Just curious to see the response here – is there any change in performance when playing in FullScreen mode? We’ve seen this issue occur mostly in “Windowed” and “FullScreen Windowed” and we’d like to see if you all experience any difference while playing in FullScreen mode.

Thanks again everyone!

(edited by Ashley Segovia.8276)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Just curious to see the response here – is there any chance in performance when playing in FullScreen mode? We’ve seen this issue occur mostly in “Windowed” and “FullScreen Windowed” and we’d like to see if you all experience any difference while playing in FullScreen mode.

Thanks again everyone!

I normally play in Windowed Fullscreen mode. I just tested switching to Fullscreen and what I found was:
- I took an immediate performance hit. FPS was more consistently low (something like 30-40s, instead of 40-50s).
- I ran around other players with my Character Model Quality setting on Low (that setting has the most distinct affect for me) and although it seems like my FPS spiked up and down less, it was hitting about the same low point (somewhere in the 15-20 range).

Note that this was in a not-too-crowded Mystic Plaza – I imagine my FPS would have dipped further had I been at something like a world boss. As one person said:

Basically the more people around and the more they doing things the lower the FPS gets.

Which sounds pretty normal, if it wasn’t for the fact that the dip in performance is so extreme and immediate.

I think you will have the best chance of reproducing this issue if you do your testing in the live game, around lots of players.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: TokyoGhost.6492

TokyoGhost.6492

Just curious to see the response here – is there any chance in performance when playing in FullScreen mode? We’ve seen this issue occur mostly in “Windowed” and “FullScreen Windowed” and we’d like to see if you all experience any difference while playing in FullScreen mode.

Thanks again everyone!

I play in FullScreen -1920 × 1080 mode all the time and its there, waiting to kill my eyes with stuttering.

I made so much mistakes that I now make mistakes without mistake.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Here’s something odd to test, Anet: Try playing around with having a mini out vs. not having one out. An account that has no mini unlocked vs. at least one unlocked.

It’s hard for me to test it without having a controlled environment to test in. I played around with it some, but the closest to a difference I could notice is that my performance seemed marginally better with a mini out, as opposed to having none. And that didn’t stay very consistent, so it might be a dead-end-thread.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: duckideva.6358

duckideva.6358

(Edit to add: I always play in full screen mode.)

I submitted a ticket a couple days ago, and so far I’ve downloaded and run two utilities, moved my game folder, repaired the game folder, deleted and downloaded the entire 19 gig dat file, run the game under admin mode, run the game under resetpreference mode…and it’s still a slide show if I go anywhere where there are character models. If I look at a map, my frame rate is 70, if I’m in a mostly empty zone, but with npcs and particle effects, my frame rate is about 30, if I go into wvw, my frame rate drops to 5-10.

Needless to say, I’ve gotten sniped a few times testing that. Enjoy the bags, you sneaky slideshow enemies, I’ll get you…and your little dog too. You know, as soon as I can play the game…

In all seriousness, nothing on my end changed after the patch. I have beautiful framerates in every other game. But GW2 is unplayable in any area where there are other characters.

Cruella LaDucki: Have corpses, will travel
Torwynd Trueheart: Here I come to save the day!
NSP – Quak Resident Duchess L’Orange

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

(Edit to add: I always play in full screen mode.)

I submitted a ticket a couple days ago, and so far I’ve downloaded and run two utilities,

You are lucky! They askme for like 4 utilities, even an internet test… for a FPS problem…

Ashley, the problem is pretty obvious, is something related with character models, NO NPC, players character models. Because everyone has problem and stuttering in front of a couple of players and that issue disapear when you turn character model to lowest to see common unrender one.

I run the game in medium with solid 60fps without Players in the screen, even with tons of NPC. But when players appears the stuttering start even in low.

Changing VSync, windowed or full screen, framelimit, is like ask for “location and timezone” to address the issue.

Mrbig.8019

just so you know, whenever i experience the fps drop issue i also lag a lot while my ping is at 10 ms.

Anet this is not bearable anymore, it’s been almost a month right now and still nothing.

Fix your kitten game dear god.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Play full screen mode always.

I’ve just noticed that the problem comes up just running down the road in Cursed Shore. For example, run from Caer to Penitent a couple of times and what was a smooth ride has gotten all jerky at times now. Doesn’t matter if there are players on screen or not.

We may want to consider that we could be chasing different problems here since “Odd Stuttering” is a bit vague

Posted by: duckideva.6358

duckideva.6358

Ok, so…tech support, bless their overworked hearts, after a series of things, got me to download Speccy from Piriform. While it was running, I launched GW2, and my core CPU temp shot up to 102c. As anyone who knows hardware knows, this temp is well outside the normal range, and well into the Kill Your Hardware range.

So, I disassembled my box, took the heat sink off, blew it out, checked the thermal compound, reseated the cpu and the heatsink, put the system back together, turned it on.

Normal operating temps are around 30-35c, which is where they belong for this cpu. (Intel i5 3570k, 3.4g, Ivy Bridge 22nm).

1.) Open GW2 Launcher – raises the temp to 50c.

2.) Click Play, which causes the game to begin load, and spins up two instances of Coherent UI. Temp goes to 65c instantly, well before any graphics have loaded.

3. Temp stabilizes at around 70, even in full wvw zerg.

Thus, my framerate issues were caused by my CPU overheating, and throttling the system. And while some of my problems were caused by dust in my heat sink; the bigger issue here is that the Coherent code they’re using for the Gem Store is a CPU hog, on top of an already cpu intensive game.

This version of the game could kill people’s CPUs. Anyone who is having these framerate issues should download Speccy and look at your CPU temps. If your temps are outside of the range for your CPU, first try blowing out your system, and see if that helps, but if it doesn’t, you may want to sideline this game until they patch again.

For the record, no CPU should be running hotter than 80-85c. Anything over 90 and you are looking at damaging the chip. Just the two weeks of trying to figure out this problem have probably cost me a new chip, because chip failure after running at those temps is almost a guarantee.

Cruella LaDucki: Have corpses, will travel
Torwynd Trueheart: Here I come to save the day!
NSP – Quak Resident Duchess L’Orange

Mrbig.8019

Ok, so…tech support, bless their overworked hearts, after a series of things, got me to download Speccy from Piriform. While it was running, I launched GW2, and my core CPU temp shot up to 102c. As anyone who knows hardware knows, this temp is well outside the normal range, and well into the Kill Your Hardware range.

So, I disassembled my box, took the heat sink off, blew it out, checked the thermal compound, reseated the cpu and the heatsink, put the system back together, turned it on.

Normal operating temps are around 30-35c, which is where they belong for this cpu. (Intel i5 3570k, 3.4g, Ivy Bridge 22nm).

2.) Click Play, which causes the game to begin load, and spins up two instances of Coherent UI. Temp goes to 65c instantly, well before any graphics have loaded.

Thus, my framerate issues were caused by my CPU overheating, and throttling the system. And while some of my problems were caused by dust in my heat sink; the bigger issue here is that the Coherent code they’re using for the Gem Store is a CPU hog, on top of an already cpu intensive game.

This version of the game could kill people’s CPUs. Anyone who is having these framerate issues should download Speccy and look at your CPU temps. If your temps are outside of the range for your CPU, first try blowing out your system, and see if that helps, but if it doesn’t, you may want to sideline this game until they patch again.

For the record, no CPU should be running hotter than 80-85c. Anything over 90 and you are looking at damaging the chip. Just the two weeks of trying to figure out this problem have probably cost me a new chip, because chip failure after running at those temps is almost a guarantee.

I’ve an i7 2600 sandy bridge, normal temp when playing gw2 is around 60 ° ( pretty normal for my cpu) and cpu running at about 3ghz.

No throttling, no overheating, cpu is not even working at full force.

This both with smooth gameplay and fps dropping to 5-15.

I even tried shutting down coherent ui while playing, nothing changed.

It’s something on their end, 100%.

Altough i can agree with you, current patch is way more intensive on cpu side.

Posted by: Noa.7490

Noa.7490

Well, looks like I’m not the only one with this issue. The game used to play fairly well before the aforementioned september patch but now, not so much. My framerate constantly goes from 2/4 fps one second to 35/45 fps the next then drops back to 2/4. Rince repeat. My CPU temps does rise significantly when the gw2.exe is launched. Playing in window or full-screen mode changes nothing. Unfortunately I will have to sidetrack Guild Wars2 until this problem is fixed because I don’t want to damage my CPU.

Posted by: ClaviculaNox.8762

ClaviculaNox.8762

And no updates so far!!!

I’m not Obsessed , I’m POSSESSED!

Posted by: arjov.8649

arjov.8649

Just curious to see the response here – is there any change in performance when playing in FullScreen mode? We’ve seen this issue occur mostly in “Windowed” and “FullScreen Windowed” and we’d like to see if you all experience any difference while playing in FullScreen mode.

Thanks again everyone!

no difference at all

Mrbig.8019

This must be a joke.

Will we wait till next feature patch to have the game we PAYED FOR fixed ?

IT’S ALREADY THE END OF THE MONTH.

urieldhynne.2743

I am pretty upset with the tech support of this game. I sent a ticket about this problem, they ask me to run 2 programs, then 3 more, then 2 more that I already sent to them….

I AM TALKING WITH A MACHINE WITH AUTO RESPONSE, you are just copy and paste without read any of my mails or reports i sent to you, you are wasting my time writing emails.

I am going to start the complain in the social networks, in the spanish and english one. Maybe the community managers know how to answer a complain about this.

You are ignoring us in forum, and wasting our time via emails with tickets supports. Awful tech support. Sorry is not a nice comment as you like.

Posted by: Abjurer.9302

Abjurer.9302

Thanks again everyone!

For me it is opposite. In “FullScreen Windowed” the game plays like normal. In FullScreen mode when I look at other players and their animations it feels like I only have 5 FPS.

MookySnacks.8532

Doesn’t matter if there are players on screen or not.

We may want to consider that we could be chasing different problems here since “Odd Stuttering” is a bit vague

I agree. As I stated earlier, my FPS counter shows an incorrect FPS compared to what I feel I’m actually experiencing. Also, the drops I’ve seen have likewise been happening regardless of other characters. I’ve attempted doing some story instances to test this and as I had noticed before, even when I’m the only character, NPC or otherwise, that’s being rendered, I still get abrupt drops down to what seems like a near freeze frame, even though the FPS counter is saying a much less significant drop is taking place (average drop of about 15 FPS rather than easily 30 FPS or more). Because this is different from what others have experienced, I second the belief that there are multiple issues happening at a time depending on the person. By reading this thread, for example, I’ve noticed at least 3 different issues. The first is a consistent drop in performance, the next, only when around Player Characters, and the third one being like my own, an abrupt drop that takes place at seemingly random intervals.

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Holy hell, I downloaded Speccy just to see what my core temp was averaging, and while it has always been fine (between 50-60c) I’m seeing it hit upwards of 95c even with the game minimized. Mindblowing. I don’t even want to know what my temps are hitting at full load. Looks like I’ll be reseating and reapplying some thermal paste tomorrow, and for now I’m going to bump the fan speed up because it is clearly running far too hot. My Arctic Freezer A30 (rated up to 320w) should not have problems keeping the system cool, but whatever’s going on in GW2 it’s not keeping up.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

arjov.8649

my cpu is running 60°C during big zergs and gpu 55°C. so it’s not a throttle problem at all. at least for me

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

6-12 FPS since patch wherever i am, regardless of fullscreen or windowed mode.

Great patch…

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

was today’s update a attempt to fix this problem ?

Posted by: Del.4309

Del.4309

If it was, they only made it worse lol (for me).

Posted by: IHateMrCats.3201

IHateMrCats.3201

Before the current patch i had the stuttering issue already discussed. Having the random fps drops with no indication as to what was causing it. The FPS became much better having deleted the local roaming data as suggested. Game ran well again but needed to uncheck High Resolution Character models but that wasn’t such a big deal for me as i didn’t have the stutter. With this new patch however the previous problem has now returned. This drop happens regardless of user settings and the fps does not improve. I followed the same measures as i did previously but now they do not help at all. I’m now back to having the game randomly drop in frames from 50-60 to 10-15 for 5-6 seconds and shooting back up again. Temperatures are fine, core parking is eliminated, no sign of throttle issues and everything is stable all around.

I don’t have a clue what’s going on. The framerate now seems to be much less than what it was before today’s patch.

(edited by IHateMrCats.3201)

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I’m a little wary of Speccy’s evaluation of my core temp. Across 4 other hardware monitors (Aida64, CoreTemp, Open Hardware Monitor, Click Bios II – that allows access to the BIOS from within Windows – and therefore its own internal temperature monitor) all report that I’m never going higher than 50c. I reseated my CPU heatsink with Arctic Silver paste this time, blew out the inside, and closed it all back up again. I did reduce core and NB/CPU-NB voltage a bit as well. Temps are down in all 5 apps, but Speccy still reports I’m running a good 30-40c higher than all of the others (although it doesn’t go past 80c now, whereas before it was nearly hitting 100c).

Five different applications, one of which was actually designed for my motherboard, and only one (Speccy) reports temps that are off the charts. I think if I was running that hot all the time while playing GW2, my system would have fried half a year ago. I don’t feel any hot air coming out of either of my vent fans, and putting my hand near the heatsink, it feels only slightly warm.

I believe Speccy is mistaken in its evaluation of core temp. It is the only utility that reports such drastically high temperatures. I’d advise using a different app to monitor your temps, such as Aida64 or CoreTemp (Open Hardware Monitor is no longer being developed) instead.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: Tomokou.2479

Tomokou.2479

Funny enough, the patch caused these issues for me while I wasn’t experiencing them before, maybe some minor lag, but now I just lag, my FPS drop very low, cannot cast my skills and then DC. (Netherlands here)

Posted by: JonnyBlu.3486

JonnyBlu.3486

I have 16GB of ram, a 3GB high end video card, and a 4.6Ghz cpu. load-stuttering and fps is incredibly bad after the patch that was supposed to increase performance. I can only imagine how horrible the experience must be like for people with non-optimal setups.

At this point can we just request that the “performance” changes be reversed, because it was vastly better before the patch.

It’s a shame this “performance” patch went live right before the new trial began. I imagine a lot of people will be turned off by the poor performance of the game in it’s current state.

(edited by JonnyBlu.3486)

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

If it was, they only made it worse lol (for me).

Same, it’s far worse for me…

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Mrbig.8019

WHAT ABOUT AN UPDATE ?

caveman.5840

it is not like this on NA servers is it ? it is just the EU?

MookySnacks.8532

it is not like this on NA servers is it ? it is just the EU?

Unfortunately it’s the same for NA servers… I’m on Stormbluff Isle and it’s the same for me there…

arjov.8649

tried with borrowed hardware from friends of mine:
r9 290x
gtx 780ti
i7 4790k
g3258 @4.6
i5 4690k

tried all possible combinations “aka both gpus on each cpu” . nothing. and know what? intel hd4400 is good enough to play the game with SAME framerate at high settings, you’ll still get 10 fps in zergs, so why bother getting a pricey vga XD

Seriously, we need a fix. I totally stopped playing

urieldhynne.2743

Still no solution. I Just stop playing WvW. Between this crap and unbalanced match up… This game is almost over for me.

Mrbig.8019

Still no solution. I Just stop playing WvW. Between this crap and unbalanced match up… This game is almost over for me.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-issue-solved/first#post4460625

Posted by: ishotellet.7184

ishotellet.7184

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-issue-solved/first#post4460625

Tested and it did not work. You do not have any proof either so you shouldn’t name it “issue solved”.

caveman.5840

what happened with this last patch lol ..

i just got a new computer before the patch and it was running great…

now lol it is a different story

i have never seen this much lag in this game….. it is bad !
most fun i can have in game as of now is chatting everything else i lag to much :S lol

(edited by caveman.5840)

Mrbig.8019

Tested and it did not work. You do not have any proof either so you shouldn’t name it “issue solved”.

Did u do EXACTLY as i did ?

ishotellet.7184

Did u do EXACTLY as i did ?

YES

Posted by: ClaviculaNox.8762

ClaviculaNox.8762

ANet this is getting really stupid!
IT’s been almost a month now & NO FIX for the FPS
WE can’t play WvW on 1-10 FPS
WE can’t play Dynamic events with your god kitten MEGA SERVER having a zerg people hitting one champion with FPS Dropping to 1-10!
WHAT THE HELL GUYS!
If it’s the new TP REMOVE IT!!
If it’s the MEGA SERVER and the hideous amount of people shooting at one freakin mob REMOVE IT
It’s BY FAR THE WORST FAIL patch bugged you released
I wonder WHAT THE HELL aren’t you experiencing what we are god kitten having!!
PATCH was on the 9th of September
Today is 2nd of October
You PATCHED 9 TIMES" http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:September_2014_update
between those 2 days and NOT A single FIX

I’m not Obsessed , I’m POSSESSED!

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I have noticed the FPS drop as well. I am going to guess that for some it could be that there are many many more miniatures on screen which would affect FPS, again that is just a guess.
Hope it is resolved since with megaservers I get about 15-20 fps with my rig.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

urieldhynne.2743

Didn’t work for me either. Lots of ppl tried it before.

Posted by: kechu de dorrego.9342

kechu de dorrego.9342

I have that problem too, anet kitten up the game after patch, my game esa running before patch 50 fps, now is running from 15 to 5 fps, u cant fix this and you are trying to get ppl on the game? First take care about present comunity then recruit more players, btw my computer is a really pro gamer

ishotellet.7184

ANet this is getting really stupid!
IT’s been almost a month now & NO FIX for the FPS
WE can’t play WvW on 1-10 FPS
WE can’t play Dynamic events with your god kitten MEGA SERVER having a zerg people hitting one champion with FPS Dropping to 1-10!
WHAT THE HELL GUYS!
If it’s the new TP REMOVE IT!!
If it’s the MEGA SERVER and the hideous amount of people shooting at one freakin mob REMOVE IT
It’s BY FAR THE WORST FAIL patch bugged you released
I wonder WHAT THE HELL aren’t you experiencing what we are god kitten having!!
PATCH was on the 9th of September
Today is 2nd of October
You PATCHED 9 TIMES" http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:September_2014_update
between those 2 days and NOT A single FIX

Yea 100% Agree & i can tell you that they’ve lost alot of potential gamers. New people install the game(If not crashing during the installation) log in and think ‘what the heck is this’.

Posted by: NoShift.6548

NoShift.6548

Notebook gamer here.
I have switchable graphics (Intel HD4400 and an AMD HD 8850M GDDR5)
As others, I too used to have 50-60 fps, but something happened. First I have noticed these fps drops when I was in Divinity’s Reach looking in the “Upper City” direction from Dwayna high road.
But it is in the Mists, in some PvE areas and in almost every city.
The funny thing is that I have more fps with my Intel with the same settings applied.
What have I tried so far:
-Because it is a notebook, obviously no hardware changes;
-Every other 3D applications are as good as they were;
-Driver update/downgrade;
-Different graphics settings;
-Other people’s guides like deleting files form: $USER$\AppData\Roaming\;

A friend of mine reinstalled his notebook because “Every problem can be solved with a Windows re-install” as he says and guess what. Now he has 35-40-45 fps with a GT 635M on medium settings.

Now what?

caveman.5840

hey go to the( cool performance boost ) thread …. +1

that program is awesome i can play gw2 even with this crazy lag

urieldhynne.2743

Any update about this issue? Is Arenanet ignoring us again?