FPS Issues [merged]

FPS Issues [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Propeller.5264

Propeller.5264

I know that there have been many forum threads about this already, but I’m getting desperate, and I hope someone can help me out.

Here are my specs:

Windows 8 Pro, 64-bit
ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series (5970 I believe)
Intel Core i7 Processor @ 3.2 GHz
12 GB RAM (DDR5 I believe)

I am pulling 2 – 8 FPS on Best Quality/Appearance, 8 – 12 FPS on Auto-Detect, and ~20 FPS on Best Performance. On games such as Skyrim and Crysis 2, I can pull 50+ FPS (usually in 60’s) on max graphical settings.

I have tried numerous fixes already, including:
- Disabling Hardware Acceleration
- Disabling Crossfire
- Disabling CPU OC’ing (though I thought that would boost FPS)
- Turning off Anisotropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing
- Doing a clean install of AMD Catalyst & using latest drivers (12.10 I think)
- Made sure GPU was running at x16 speeds in the PCI slot (not x4)

GW2 Support will not help since I have Windows 8 — even though there are numerous people saying GW2 is performing great on W8.

There are also attached files from the GW2 Test, HijackThis log, and NetworkDiag log.

Any help/advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

(edited by Propeller.5264)

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: garfieldisntfat.8629

garfieldisntfat.8629

You’re a living example of why I don’t want to waste money on upgrading my rig if this is what’s going to happen. My PC is NOWHERE near as good as yours in any aspect and yet I can pull of 20-40 fps in PvE at the lowest settings.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Searias.9601

Searias.9601

Where are you testing your fps? Your setup should give you a bit higher fps than that, maybe at least 30 to 40fps in pve areas excluding WvWvW and large towns. Try overclocking your CPU, since GW2 is very CPU demanding that might boost your fps quiet a bit. Also, make sure you don’t have any spyware in your computer and also stop any useless background processes you have running.

(edited by Searias.9601)

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: ecidemon.6408

ecidemon.6408

maybe something is keeping your card in low power state and is not detecting 3d properly?
I seem to recall issues with amd cards not clocking up if browser is running in background or some such (youtube).

download msi afterburner and check the hardware monitor to see if card is actually switching states when you start the game.

Also make sure you have no driver level enhancements on such as forced aliasing etc.

FPS Issues [merged]

Propeller.5264

Searias — I am using the in-game FPS counter. While I know it might not be highly accurate, when it says I’m getting 12 FPS, I can tell I am getting 12 FPS. it’s really laggy and has really poor visuals.

Also, I am spyware free and don’t have background processes running.

I can compare it to my roommate’s laptop, which on auto-detect has worse specs then mine, but looks 10x better. (Extremely Frustrating).

Ecidemon — I will try the MSI Afterburner. As for the driver level enhancements, I even tried turning AA and AF completely off. Plus I do not have any browser open in the background. No Change.

FPS Issues [merged]

Propeller.5264

Also, my CPU is overclocked. High Performance GPU is at 775 MHz, memory clock settings at 1000 MHz. Should they be higher? I don’t have much experience with these settings, and I don’t want to accidently damage the CPU.

FPS Issues [merged]

Propeller.5264

Just realized I was talking about my GPU in the previous reply.

FPS Issues [merged]

Propeller.5264

Ecidemon — here is a screenshot from MSI Afterburner

Attachments:

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: deltaconnected.4058

deltaconnected.4058

What’s your RAM config like?

FPS Issues [merged]

Propeller.5264

I have 12 GB of ddr5…but are you asking how many sticks? I have 3 × 4GB.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: deltaconnected.4058

deltaconnected.4058

Try running 2×4 on the same channel (same colour slot on the board). I’ve seen this kill FPS for other people.

(edited by deltaconnected.4058)

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Searias.9601

Searias.9601

Searias — I am using the in-game FPS counter. While I know it might not be highly accurate, when it says I’m getting 12 FPS, I can tell I am getting 12 FPS. it’s really laggy and has really poor visuals.

Also, I am spyware free and don’t have background processes running.

I can compare it to my roommate’s laptop, which on auto-detect has worse specs then mine, but looks 10x better. (Extremely Frustrating).

Ecidemon — I will try the MSI Afterburner. As for the driver level enhancements, I even tried turning AA and AF completely off. Plus I do not have any browser open in the background. No Change.

Hehe, I didn’t ask you about the way you are getting your fps, but the location you are getting your reading. Like are you in lion’s arch or any other place with a lot of people like in WvWvW?

FPS Issues [merged]

Propeller.5264

No, not at all. I am in a minor fort, with nearly no one around. If I walk up to a wall and stare at it, fps goes to about 25 on Auto-Detect.

FPS Issues [merged]

Propeller.5264

Quick update — installed game on laptop also running Windows 8. Has 8GB RAM, Core i5, and Radeon Mobile 5000.

Runs with FPS b/w 30-40 with settings on medium. 3x better than my gaming rig.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: ecidemon.6408

ecidemon.6408

I’m sorry friend, im out of ideas of what it can be

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: ben.3571

ben.3571

Hi all,
I just wanted to post with my issue, I played through the betas on max settings with no lag or FPS drop at a steady and good FPS rate, since the second last stress test when the game underwent more optimisation, I started to get significantly lower FPS and more lag.
Its so bad that I’ve barely been able to play since launch, I tried again today and my FPS was at 4, so I’m wondering is this because its got so much more demanding since beta or what and is there anything I can do?

System Specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 330 @2.13GHZ (4 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX 11

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Memory: 2736

Thanks in advance!

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hi ben – There are a very large number of variables that could be contributing to low FPS. To eliminate some of those possible variables, I’d recommend taking a look at this sticky post to see if anything on the “checklist” helps your in game performance.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-and-Performance-based-issues-1/first#post338300

If you’ve tried all of these steps and nothing seems to work please let me know because 4 FPS is a bit concerning.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Nova.6902

Nova.6902

I’ve had bad FPS since launch. I already sent my Dxd log into the forum were mods asked for them to look into it. That was months ago, there has been no info or direct answer to the problem. All that is said is make sure drivers/windows/model/enough RAM/CPU blah blah is all up to date and meets the minimum needed to run the game. I have a HD Radean 7950 x2 and an i7-3777k, with all drivers up to date (yes I do uninstall the older ones and then download the news ones) my CPU should not bottleneck anything. I get 30-35 FPS on low settings (everything like Shaders low, Shadows at none, texture low etc) AA s turned off in CCC and most of the settings set to performance if not all. I even tried the steps that you have in the Tech threads of a way to get better performance. Anything above 5 people in an area fighting (instances) and the FPS gets eaten. My GPU’s are running at 30-40% while CPU is running a 60%. It doesn’t over heat and there is no dust, I clean it often.

I also, after being fed up with this problem (which happens on no other game, not even BF3) I dropped it off at a repair shop, they didn’t find a single thing wrong with anything.

There really needs to be a thread assuring everyone that this problem is known of and is being worked on. With details of what is being done to fix it. Even if you don’t know what the problem if, saying “We’ve looked into this blah bah, it’s not this causing it, we will keep looking” will eliminate any doubts people have what may be causing it. To be told consonantly to see if my drivers are up to date is annoying. I know it is the case with some people. But it’s the only response we are getting.

(edited by Nova.6902)

FPS Issues [merged]

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

I completely understand where you’re coming from here. It is true that there is a large amount of players experiencing performance based issues, but as I told another player who was experiencing a different type of issue, we are not trying to place the blame on your system, but there is any number of variables that could be contributing to performance based issues and so it is our job in Technical Support is to eliminate all possible variables in order to come to a resolution and then escalate the issue to another department if necessary. While many players may also be experiencing performance based issues, the individual system and hardware setups can make two issues that look similar at first actually turn out to be incredibly different meaning there will be a different resolution.

So I apologize if suggestions for driver updates are sounding very much like a broken record to you, but the best way for us to gather information and troubleshoot performance based issues is if we can assist you one on one. I would recommend creating a support ticket and letting the Technical Support Team know all possible troubleshooting steps that you have tried in addition to providing a Game Advisor report. You may be asked for some additional diagnostic information which you may not want to post in the forums.

In the end, if we’ve exercised all possible troubleshooting steps with no resolution found, we may be able to have this issue looked into by other departments. Again, the more information that we have to collect, the more information that we can provide to have this issue looked into if it is not in fact the player’s system.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Nova.6902

Nova.6902

Thank you for the answer. That what I was looking for. I’m sorry if it seems I’m having a go, I’m not. This game is beautiful and fun when being kind to me. I don’t doubt that you all are working your best to get results. Your long and constructive answer is what I was looking for. You’ve now told me the steps and plans being taken which assures me something is being done. Not just some kitten “We know of the problem” while 3 months later we’ve not been told anything. I follow the Tech thread quite a lot.

I’ll do as you recommended. Thanks, you are a credit to your team.

One last question – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Low-FPS-merged/first 0 what came of this thread? Over 1k people posted, did it narrow anything down or help with the investigation?

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Cubemonkey.1248

Cubemonkey.1248

Thank you for the answer. That what I was looking for. I’m sorry if it seems I’m having a go, I’m not. This game is beautiful and fun when being kind to me. I don’t doubt that you all are working your best to get results. Your long and constructive answer is what I was looking for. You’ve now told me the steps and plans being taken which assures me something is being done. Not just some kitten “We know of the problem” while 3 months later we’ve not been told anything. I follow the Tech thread quite a lot.

I’ll do as you recommended. Thanks, you are a credit to your team.

One last question – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Low-FPS-merged/first 0 what came of this thread? Over 1k people posted, did it narrow anything down or help with the investigation?

Just checking, but, you’re using the appropriate CAP, right?

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: xectionnine.4107

xectionnine.4107

I’m tired reading the forum on performance issues etc etc.
Support directx 11, that’s your answer.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Aspar.7285

Aspar.7285

I’m tired reading the forum on performance issues etc etc.
Support directx 11, that’s your answer.

People should stop talking about things they do not understand, adding to the mountain of nonsense that is usually present on such forums.
DirectX 11 IS NOT THE ANSWER.
Stop perpetuating this lie. DX11 IS NOT the answer to their low FPS problem.
The game is vastly problematic in the CPU bottleneck department.
It has very little to no use of multiple cores. In fact i could run this game on a 5 years old CPU clocked with nitrogen to 5-6ghz, times better, than on a 16 core/threads CPU last generation, on 2-3 ghz.

(edited by Aspar.7285)

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

It has very little to no use of multiple cores.

What?

i don’t consider 40-50% of 8 cores (4+HT) to be “little to no use”. Thats effectively full use of a quad core cpu without hyperthreading (whilst load balancing across all 8 hyperthreads).

You really don’t understand how demanding DirectX9 is of the CPU either so YOU ARE THE ONE that should stop talking about things you don’t understand.

Theres alot of stuff DirectX 11 will permit the game to do in background Playback threads that Direct3D 9 only allows to be done on the main thread. Attempting to multithread Direct3D 9 usually ADDS additional cpu overhead.

Take a look at Dirt 2/3’s cpu usage between 9 and 11, and you’ll see that CPU usage overall is reduced in 11 vs 9.

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/12/23/dirt_2_gameplay_performance_image_quality/9

Making use of DirectX 11’s multithreaded display lists actually reduces overall cpu load because threads that would have to be executed and completed in a chain can be performed concurrently. permitting quicker execution of the entire batch before it is sent to the driver for execution.

Saints Row 3 is another point where 9 uses much more cpu than 11.

DirectX 9 DirectX 11
1 Core 100% 100%
1 Core OC 100% 100%
2 Cores ~80% ~60%
2 Cores OC ~68% ~55%
3 Cores ~48% ~35%
3 Cores OC ~43% ~23%
4 Cores ~39% ~20%
4 Cores OC ~36% ~18%

(edited by Squall Leonhart.2075)

FPS Issues [merged]

Aspar.7285

The game uses mainly 3 heavy CPU load threads. Of them 1 is the heaviest mostly connected to preparing the scene. Everything else is of little to no meaning if will be ran on other cores or on the same.
You can run the game on 3 cores as good as on 4. You can run the game better on a 2 core CPU that has higher clock than on a 4 core CPU with lower clock.
You don’t really understand how CPUs work and what those 40-50% mean if you think the game uses all those cores, and if you didn’t have them it would have ran much slower.
DX11 just has a better way of controlling the command queue. Offloads a bit of work off the driver but is by no means a panacea for a CPU bound game.
Almost all stuff you do simultaneously you still have to synch MANUALLY ON THE CPU in DX11. It gives you better opportunities to queue stuff for the GPU, but a lot of this you can do in DX9 now too, it’s harder, but not impossible.
Most of the work the game needs done on the CPU is connected to sheer CPU calculations that do not happen in conflict with rendering or calls to the GPU.
DX 11 gives good opportunities for loading of resources while rendering, which is not possible in DX9 unless you use it in MT mode, which is bad, but the main problem of the game is not that. The game is pure scene CPU bound. Lots of calculations for animations, for particle systems all that stuff, a lot of it can be done on the GPU and can be done in DX9 too.
Oh, you may benefit, if they use DX11 when rotating the camera and the game needs to load new stuff, yeah, with DX11 you may not see such a FPS drop or stuttering. But it won’t change, or will change it very little in the main areas – wvwvw and massive events, where resources are already loaded and just the sheer amount of CPU work is massive and DX 11 will do close to nothing to improve that.

FPS Issues [merged]

Squall Leonhart.2075

Almost all stuff you do simultaneously you still have to synch MANUALLY ON THE CPU in DX11.

Not entirely the case
You did in Direct3D 10 for almost all attempts at MT rendering, since it was not Thread Safe.
But in Direct3D 11, much of what is good at being multithreaded is Thread Safe, and the API itself can handle it automatically.

There are obviously points where you can optimise further if you do go down the unsafe route, but these are still usually points that are faster with thread safety than DirectX 9 could permit at all.

You also did nothing to address the fact that Direct3D 11 has far lower overheads regardless of threading.

btw, the biggest impact on the CPU is still graphic settings in GW2. Particularly Shadows and particle effects.

FPS Issues [merged]

Aspar.7285

No, in the DX11 context you still have to synch manually, no choice for that, it is not thread safe. Only the device is thread safe (which is the problem in DX9 MT mode).
You can create display lists and send commands to the GPU simultaneously, but that’s that.
And still DX11 limited MT is purely SW, it is still not HW. The GPU does not render things simultaneously. It still waits for a completed command with all resources available for the stage to start rendering.
DX11 allows you to skip/remove some of the pure CPU driver overhead, but it does not relate directly to your CPU scene calculations improvement, where i think GW2 main problem is.
Yes you can render the mountains in a separate thread (figuratively speaking, in fact you are just instructing the GPU to render them at some point) but you can not skip the CPU calculations for over 100 players everyone moving, animating and so on based on DX11 or 9 or 25. You still have to do those calcs before you send the cmd to the GPU to render them.
Different stuff
A lot of stuff in games in simply not MT-able (if there is such a word ).
That’s why games will benefit most of clocks, and will keep to do so. They will not benefit a lot from so many cores as other software. At least not in the close future.
There are simply too many things that are interconnected to be able to process them in parallel.
The logic of games is just like that.

(edited by Aspar.7285)

FPS Issues [merged]

Aspar.7285

An interesting point about shadows you mentioned.
There is something very fishy with shadows in GW2. Usually shadows quality is connected with increasing the shadow map resolution (pure GPU connected), or filtering when shadowing, also pure GPU load and/or you can skip shadow casters/receivers on lower settings. The fact that just going from high to medium shadows gives you a not bad improve in FPS tells me there is something either heavily connected with culling or there is something very wrong with the shadow rendering in GW2.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: xectionnine.4107

xectionnine.4107

People should stop talking about things they do not understand, adding to the mountain of nonsense that is usually present on such forums.
DirectX 11 IS NOT THE ANSWER.
Stop perpetuating this lie. DX11 IS NOT the answer to their low FPS problem.
The game is vastly problematic in the CPU bottleneck department.
It has very little to no use of multiple cores. In fact i could run this game on a 5 years old CPU clocked with nitrogen to 5-6ghz, times better, than on a 16 core/threads CPU last generation, on 2-3 ghz.

Excuse me? Things i don’t understand?!?! Wow what are you? ten or something?
Bashing ppl and think u know all the tech n stuffs is not cool kid! wasting my time!

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: AJP.8610

AJP.8610

I went on holiday on the 4th of November and before going away my laptop could run the game on the “Best Appearance” setting at around 35-45 FPS depending on where I was in the game and what I was doing. The Halloween Event came along and again, depending on where I was, my FPS would be 35-45 or around 25 if I was in Lion’s Arch. After the event I went away and came back on the 17th, booted up the game, patched and logged in. For the first minute, everything was peachy keen. Was. My FPS dropped to 4-7 FPS and this lasted for about 20 seconds and then it went back up to 35-45. Another minute. Dropped to 4 again. These intermittent FPS drops last between anything from 10 seconds to a minute so currently, the game is unplayable. I have no idea why this is but I am pointing a massive finger at the recent Lost Shores event. I’ve created a ticket (121120-000217) but I have no clue how long that will take so I thought I’d ask you knowledgeable forum goers to see if you could shed some light on any issues it may be.

[VcY] Velocity ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Flemmox ~ Elementalist
Gormlaith Greycloak ~ Guardian

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

Seriously How do You think we can help You while you didn’t posted even your system specification.

Also Ready some other threads cause in best appearance mode there are markers set to high/ultra which only makes your GPU work harder and you won’t see diff like :
Supersampe vs native
LOD distance to medium/low istead of high/ultra ( this is great hit to your fps )
Shadows on high not ultra.
And reflections OFF.

And seriously stop expecting 40-50 fps from a laptops at max appearance settings.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: AJP.8610

AJP.8610

That’s a rather hostile response considering I said I am completely clueless.

System specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: M15x
BIOS: Ver A08 1.00
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8180MB RAM
Page File: 1869MB used, 14490MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0×68A1)
DAC type: Internal DAC
Display Memory: 748 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB
Shared Memory: 3834 MB

As for the settings, they’ve always been on “Best Appearance” which sets everything to “High” and the game ran fine. What difference does two weeks vacation make?

I was getting 35-45 FPS which is fine for me and not on Max Settings.

[VcY] Velocity ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Flemmox ~ Elementalist
Gormlaith Greycloak ~ Guardian

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Kouen Hasuki.5306

Kouen Hasuki.5306

Hello,

Since the last patch that came today removing the event stuff of the shores event both my computers have suffered crippling FPS loss.

Both machines are kept up to date with the latest drivers and have always performed well in the game for there hardware until the latest patch. Was there some sort of “optimizations” done?

Desktop:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.7GHz
AMD HD4770 1GB
8GB DDR2 800 Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1
(Normal FPS with the settings used on it 45-60, Now 20-35)

Laptop: (Yes, I’m aware its borderline on the requirements no point mentioning it)
AMD Turion Ultra X2 ZM-82 @ 2.2GHz
Nvidia 8200m G (500/800/1000) 256MB
4GB DDR2 800 Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1
(Normal FPS with the settings used on it 20-30, Now 12 – 22)

I Have tried all the normal stuff such as disable anti-virus, reboot system, check for changes, check about recent windows updates.

Nothing has changed on these machines since yesterday when they worked as they should have, No software updates of any kind. I just booted up the machine and tried to play GW2 without entering any other program. when it showed this unusual performance drop, I booted up the laptop and tried on that one and it did the same thing.

As such I’ve been able to rule out my hardware, any software changes, driver updates, anti-virus and other such things.

Thanks for any tips

FPS Issues [merged]

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

@*Nova* – You’re most welcome! In regards your question concerning that thread, this is difficult to answer as I am not on the Development Team and so I don’t have any information on what was done with this information. This was, however, a good opportunity for us to get an idea of what sort of system setups were experiencing this issue and what sort of framerate these players were getting.

Unfortunately the best way to really assist players with these issues is one on one so that we can really narrow down any possible cause and have more ground to stand on as evidence that this is absolutely not a system related issue.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Flipflop.9563

Flipflop.9563

I am suffering from LOW Fps too! I could run this game in 50-60 fps with medium settings and now it’s like 10fps

I have updated all my drivers and everything

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: LuckyFish.5601

LuckyFish.5601

I also noticed a harsh FPS loss today. When I was playing yesterday my Fps was great about 40-50 fps but when I started GW2 up today and it downloaded the latest patch I am now getting 12-26 fps on my new laptop even with the current drivers.

Laptop:
Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

didn’t wanted to play until a new driver update is out (nvidia), so i installed it, launched GW2 and the most fearsome event happened: it patched

another patch, another driver update, another FPS drop
i am used to it already
well…now i can’t even pass the 50FPS mark anywhere at native rendersampling and without reflections…a new bottom
running around with 30-40FPS on medium settings mostly (was steady 60FPS[vsync] on max quality after the first driver update since the game launched)

nothing we, the players aka customers (lol) can do about it other than wait and hope

most of the GW2 players doesn’t seem to care which won’t help fixing the performance problems that soon…

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: klez.5217

klez.5217

Same here after the patch, went from ~40fps to 20fps after the patch. Tried everything from drivers to restart to local.dat redownload. Guess it’s time to go play my 3 month backlog of sleeping dogs, boraderlands 2 and hitman when they have no problem with my PC…

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: LuckyFish.5601

LuckyFish.5601

Just an update, I just relaunched GW2 and another small update went through and now my FPS seems to have recovered. But since I already started downloading the new nvidia beta drivers I’ll install that too and see what difference it makes.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Kouen Hasuki.5306

Kouen Hasuki.5306

Nice one LuckyFish, No mini patch for me

Hoping a staff member will spot this to clue me in since I know its not a config issue

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Fayn.3205

Fayn.3205

No patch for me either. I’m having the exact same problems. 35fps pre-patch, 10fps post-patch…

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

The past four days have been BAD with the lag. It’s to the point that I log in to just trudge through and get my dailies then log out, because it’s horrible. I have all my drivers updated, latest windows update, all extra apps ceased, I have a very nice rig (I7 3.8, Sabertooth Z77 mobo, 16g ram, GTX 660ti, program is on a 256g SSD with plenty of free space, etc.), and still get from 17 to 78 fps, and it changes all the time. I really hope Anet can solve this.

(edited by Aoshi.4785)

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: FaceYourFear.6902

FaceYourFear.6902

The OP is using a cheap low-end i3M-based laptop.

The performance he is getting is what I’d expect – phenomenally bad. There is no way he played GW2 in beta with settings maxed without phenomenally bad performance on this setup. I think you might all have been trolled.

FPS Issues [merged]

Squall Leonhart.2075

An interesting point about shadows you mentioned.
There is something very fishy with shadows in GW2. Usually shadows quality is connected with increasing the shadow map resolution (pure GPU connected), or filtering when shadowing, also pure GPU load and/or you can skip shadow casters/receivers on lower settings. The fact that just going from high to medium shadows gives you a not bad improve in FPS tells me there is something either heavily connected with culling or there is something very wrong with the shadow rendering in GW2.

Its one of the many issues with Dynamic Shadows afaik
games like Skyrim use a delay on shadows to prevent them completely nuking framerates, but Fable 3….. shadows would absolutely nuke the game on anything less than a GTX 480.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Ocelot.3148

Ocelot.3148

Not mentioning the FPS issues getting from 1week or so, tried all like :

- Format whole pc
- Re-installing the whole client
- Re-installing ATI AMD new driver official & beta
- Delete local.dat file
- Defraggled my HDD, both
- Cleaned from every virus, cleaned all the regystry
- Temperature on my graphic card and CPU are normal, never go over 45C° or 48C°
- Given to Gw2.exe priority “high” on TaskManager
- Followed all the FPS & ATI guide on Tech support, settings all parameters ingame and not.
- Tried Full-screen / Windowed / Windowed Full Screen mode.
- Chosen “Best Appeareance” and “Best Performance” and even manually set em
- Toggle/Lowered “LOD” distance, Reflections, and all to the minimum.

But still have the same FPS issues.
But now from few days is unplayable too since when I move the mouse or the camera, the fps dropping to the hell, or game running very slowly like is a swapping thing.

Now :
Maybe i have some problems and im totally clueless about PC problematic, but don’t start tell me my CPU bottlenecking or something like that.
Maybe it’s true, but TILL NOW I never had those kind of issues, so not.
I was playing fine and nicely since last month, but from 2weeks or so it’s messed up.

Should I attach my Desktop paramater but since i never had those problems, why should i have them NOW? what’s up?

Dekstop System Spec :

Processor : AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory : 4096mb
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
BIOS : Default System BIOS
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Page File : 3528MB used, 4660MB available
Card name : AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Display Memory: 2804 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1920 × 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
AC = 650w

Got 2x HDD :
1 = 1000gb for data store
2 = 250gb for OS and GW2

Any tips or advice? Please, any answer will be appreciated (from bottleneck, for my graphic card, for anything).
I can be repeatitive but till now i NEVER had any issues about fps.
MOUSE looking give me the most FPS issues when i turn my camera around.

Regards.

(edited by Ocelot.3148)

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: DanielByron.3849

DanielByron.3849

I got the game a couple days ago after being invited by a friend for the trial version. While playing the trial version I had great frame rates and played for quite a while over the course of two days. I bought the game, and started having problems connecting, seems to have been an issue with the fact I didn’t have SP1 for windows 7. I got SP1 and now I’m getting between 3-6 fps( at the very lowest settings I can get upwards of 13fps but it’s still unplayable). I updated my drivers to the latest version already. Any help with this problem would be great. In the 4 days I’ve had this game I’ve spent almost as much time trouble shooting as playing

ps. I’ve already read the sticky and have tried all the settings in it to no effect

specs : Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
Intel Core 2 quad 2.66
6gb ram
Radeon HD6870 1GB

(edited by DanielByron.3849)

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

SKIP if you don’t want to read all my problems and stuff
i had steady 60FPS after the first nvidia update when GW2 came out
now it’s around 30-40 mostly (PvE)…but compared to the 30-40FPS i had at the first week after the launch, it’s unplayable (crazy FPS spikes…one second i have 60 and then 9 then 40…weird)
my desperate trials to fix this reaches from audjusting my nvidia CP settings to clean my PC (virtually and physically) until crazy OC’ing my i7 950 to above 4GHz
it all completely failed…
so much for the “GW2 needs so much clock speed get more clock sped guys it’s very CPU bound guys”

only OC’ing my GTX580’s core-clock to around 900MHz at least gave me around 3-5FPS -_-’
the major problem i can see: GW2 refuses the utilize more than 50% of my PC’s performance capabilities
only if my gfx-card is OC’ed, it uses almost all my GTX has to offer…but my CPU’s usage still won’t go above 50%
I’ll wait for server and client tweaks, a driver which adds more than just ambient occlusion fixes to GW2 and the support of more than 3 cores and/or HT
GW2 is such a well designed game…such a pity it’s unplayabe for me at the moment
btw: dx11 would make things even worse atm…one step after another…
end of my story

but 4FPS? even on max settings your laptop should be able to go up to 30+FPS (even at the current performance situation)
i’m not wondering that OP was able to play GW2 at the best quality during the beta…way~ less population
@FaceYourFear:
if you seeking a troll…someone around here keeps telling that he can reach 400FPS+ in PvE on max settings @2560x1600p and 55FPS+ on WvWvW zergs as well as up to 90 in lion’s arch easely

@OP:
-remove all unnecessary programs if you have alot installed
-if your windows partition is above 70% usage, delete all unnecessary stuff
-clean your registry (make a backup before you do so, most reg cleaners asks for it before trying to clean)
-try different drivers for your GFX card
-check if some of your components have newer driver versions than yours and update, if newer versions are available
-try reinstalling GW2, if “-repair”, deleting “local.dat” and “Gw2.tmp” didn’t helped -defrag your HDD (if you aren’t using SSD’s)
-check if your laptop got any power-saving measurements enabled and disable them
-at your graphics card’s control panel, set everything to max performance
-check your network connection (test your down&upload rate at http://www.whatismyip.com/speed-test/) you can tweak your connectivity with “TCP Optimizer”…just search&download it, run it, punch in your download speed, click on “optimal” and run the tool
it asks you to make a backup – do so, then reboot
-while running GW2 terminate all unnecessary programs which are running in the
background and disable all windows designs (google for “Game Booster 3.4”)
tip: you can check if other application slows down GW2 if you perform a clean boot (google FTW) and then running GW2

well that’s about it…everything you actually can do, but since your laptop isn’t really the best:
set rendersampling to “native”, lower shadows, level of detail (LOD) and disable reflections
disabling vsync might give you a boost if you don’t mind possible screen tearing
you might check some OC tutorials on the internet for your CPU, after you informed yourself about overclocking and it’ risks, goods, bads and everything else which is important to not break your computer (don’t expect much more clock speed, since you are using a laptop and it’s build-in fan)

that hopefully will make your game playable
other than that: wait and hope for patches/updates which boosts the game’s performance

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

(edited by wauwi.9162)

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: Ocelot.3148

Ocelot.3148

Maybe i’m missing something…

FPS Issues [merged]

Squall Leonhart.2075

reinstall your catalyst drivers, sp1 screws with display drivers from time to time.

FPS Issues [merged]

Posted by: DanielByron.3849

DanielByron.3849

I’m also getting HORRIBLE frame rates, went from running fine to being unplayable over night.