FPS drops since Update (3/8/16)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: evildeadjunky.1576

evildeadjunky.1576

Gw2 has run perfectly fine on my desktop up to the point of the update this past Tuesday (3/8/16)

The game will normally run at 50fps, but now there will be fps drops that last about 10-15 seconds that drop me down to like 15-20 frames. its a very noticeable drop as everyting becomes more slow and slide showy.

Has anyone else got this happening to them since the update?

Posted by: Kriston.9561

Kriston.9561

I’ve been having the same problem it was working perfectly fine until that update came in and now I have FPS issues and sound effect delays ):

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Post your system specs please.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

I get this semi-randomly. It can go from happening to not just based on going through a waypoint, even inside the same map.

Attachments:

Posted by: domness.6719

domness.6719

I’m getting this when I view the Hero Panel / PvP panel. For some reason the game is running fine, but as soon as I open one of those panels my game goes down to 6-15 FPS for quite a long time. Closing the panel doesn’t fix it.

[OP] Optimise

Posted by: Make.5087

Make.5087

Same problem, terrible fps drop on game, almost unplayable, please fix this soon.

Posted by: PorcelainWall.4253

PorcelainWall.4253

I had the same problem but updating the graphics driver fixed it for me.

domness.6719

I’m getting this when I view the Hero Panel / PvP panel. For some reason the game is running fine, but as soon as I open one of those panels my game goes down to 6-15 FPS for quite a long time. Closing the panel doesn’t fix it.

Turns out the latest NVidia driver is a bit buggy. Rolled back and it’s fine now.

[OP] Optimise

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

Still getting this, and seems to be getting worse. Now seeing FPS <10.

Posted by: DeadSurvivor.6157

DeadSurvivor.6157

My FPS seem to be down as well, not drastically but down nonetheless.

Guild Wars 2 News & Links
Guilds: [AoL]
( Swindle Rogue )

domness.6719

[OP] Optimise

Posted by: Hodori.1068

Hodori.1068

I submitted a bug report on this recently. The issue for me seems to happen when transitioning between zones, by waypoints, and by switching from pvp to pve. In many cases the FPS drops down to 20 or even 10 and is locked at those frames. Only way to fix it is by switching zones again, or in most cases shutting the game down and logging back in.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

same issue!!! it has made the game unplayable, from running perfectly 100+ fps everywhere, to it SAYING it’s 40-60 fps, but it feels more like 15-20 fps.

Xbon.9086

Turns out the latest NVidia driver is a bit buggy. Rolled back and it’s fine now.

I have no issues on ANY other game, and whether buggy or not, it takes me hours just to download the driver updates… if that is the issue, when do you think they’ll update it to be functional again?

domness.6719

I have no issues on ANY other game, and whether buggy or not, it takes me hours just to download the driver updates… if that is the issue, when do you think they’ll update it to be functional again?

I’ve been experiencing the issue on all games I’ve been playing, the GPU just stops boosting power. I’ve rolled back to the 362 driver and it’s working nicely now

[OP] Optimise

Xbon.9086

I’ve been experiencing the issue on all games I’ve been playing, the GPU just stops boosting power. I’ve rolled back to the 362 driver and it’s working nicely now

mind posting some example of games which have issues? gw2 is the only game that has any issues for me with this driver right now.

domness.6719

GW2, Path of Exile, Blade and Soul were the only games I’ve played recently.

Also there has been an official statement on their latest driver having issues.

[OP] Optimise

Xbon.9086

GW2, Path of Exile, Blade and Soul were the only games I’ve played recently.

Also there has been an official statement on their latest driver having issues.

the latest, non beta, yeah, which is why they released beta… path of exile works perfectly fine for me too, the fact gw2 is the absolute only game with issues makes me not want to redownload drivers and wait for an official statement from anet/nvidia

Xbon.9086

wondering if newest update fixes this

Posted by: Lientjie.2843

Lientjie.2843

Hi
Im getting 4 fps and 756 + ping in the starting zones and in the cities its not improving much either. All my other games runs perfectly. Only gw2 i cant play atm.

Posted by: Pansertjald.5746

Pansertjald.5746

Same problem here. Started after the patch and rolling back on the Nvidia drivers din`t work and i don`t have any problems in any other games at all.

Every time i use wp or change zones, my fps drops to 10-5. some times it helps to hop out in Windows, but most of the time i have to shut down GW2 and start it again and that is not funny when doing meta events

Xbon.9086

Same problem here. Started after the patch and rolling back on the Nvidia drivers din`t work and i don`t have any problems in any other games at all.

Every time i use wp or change zones, my fps drops to 10-5. some times it helps to hop out in Windows, but most of the time i have to shut down GW2 and start it again and that is not funny when doing meta events

atleast you have periods of playability… as soon as I load the game its awfully low fps… really wish they’d acknowledge this, this is seriously the only game with this issue I have right now, playing fallout 4 like a dream.

Posted by: soundsonic.1704

soundsonic.1704

low fps for raid (10-15)

hardware:
-amd r9 290 4GB
-24 Gb ddr3
-intel i5 4690
-h97 chipset motherboard

(upload to dxdiag)

Attachments:

Posted by: James Edward Frost.8946

James Edward Frost.8946

I too was suffering from lag but I just found out over 3 different people had hacked my account. Yay. They are still doing it. I have an AMD.

Posted by: nolasthitnotomorrow.8563

nolasthitnotomorrow.8563

I too was suffering from lag but I just found out over 3 different people had hacked my account. Yay. They are still doing it. I have an AMD.

What does that have to do with anything.?

soundsonic.1704

Medium -low graphics raid for 20-30 fps. That’s not good..

Xbon.9086

What does that have to do with anything.?

don’t think it has any relevance.

Xbon.9086

so I actually fixed it by going full screen… the update or drivers broke windowless fullscreen (which sux because have to alt tab a ton…)

Posted by: Blkfawkes.3068

Blkfawkes.3068

Gw2 has run perfectly fine on my desktop up to the point of the update this past Tuesday (3/8/16)

The game will normally run at 50fps, but now there will be fps drops that last about 10-15 seconds that drop me down to like 15-20 frames. its a very noticeable drop as everyting becomes more slow and slide showy.

Has anyone else got this happening to them since the update?

Been having this exact situation ever since the Salvation Pass update. Was running at about 40-50 fps…now lucky to get 10 fps. All my other gaming options (Steam, Minecraft) work fine, so the issue seems to be just with GW2.
Hopefully, this can get fixed soon, as the game has basically become unplayable for more than five minutes for me (which takes about fifteen to twenty minutes of actual RL time).

Posted by: Zekefein.4360

Zekefein.4360

I’ve got the same problem since the said update. I get constant <10 fps and unbelievably high ping, even though before the update everything was working just fine. Now GW2 is unplayable for me and nothing seems to make it better. I mean neither different grapic drivers, nor changing settings to the lowest possible. I’ve got this problem only in GW2 mind you. Other games work allright. Please send help.

Pansertjald.5746

Any update on the problem Anet??? It`s getting worse and worse for every day

soundsonic.1704

At least it would raid graphic options like World of Warcraft. You may need to load when option graphics setting 1 or option 2, etc..(Normal gaming : high set, Raid gaming: medium set). But it would be good, if take advantage of the raid on my pc spec

Pansertjald.5746

Here is my Dxdiag

Today i was able to paly for about 1 hour, before i gave up. The fps drops are getting so bad, that i can`t play the game any more.

GW2 is the ONLY game i have problems with. All other games runs perfectly

Attachments:

Pansertjald.5746

Just installed the new Nvidia drivers Version 364.72 from today and it seems to have fixed the problem.

No fps drops in the lats 10 min and when i use WP`s i don`t get fps drops.

(edited by Pansertjald.5746)

Pansertjald.5746

And the FPS drops are back again after todays patch

Posted by: Lokku.2650

Lokku.2650

I’ve managed to find a workaround for myself, so i hope it will help others.

Been getting horrible FPS rates, managed to fix it by changing my refresh rate in the game options. Now getting decent frames.

It comes back everytime you load into a new zone, so you have to do it again.

edit Manged to play completely stable by making a Nvidia profile for GW2 in the Nvidia control panel. changed:

Refresh rate :max available
Power : Max performance
VSYNC: Adaptive

(edited by Lokku.2650)

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Same problem, I can fix this temporarily with a simple ALT + tab but I’ve always the same issue everytime there is a map loading in the game.

Posted by: onevsone.2098

onevsone.2098

Same problem, I can fix this temporarily with a simple ALT + tab but I’ve always the same issue everytime there is a map loading in the game.

Same

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Been getting horrible FPS rates, managed to fix it by changing my refresh rate in the game options. Now getting decent frames.

edit Manged to play completely stable by making a Nvidia profile for GW2 in the Nvidia control panel. changed:

It won’t work for everybody.

A) My monitor has a refresh rate of 60 hertz. That’s it. There’s no other rate available.

B) VSync only works on monitors that support it. If your monitor doesn’t it’s going to cause framerate drops. I use to have VSync off until my uncle said I shouldn’t even use it. Turning VSync off improved the performance of the game quite a bit for me.

My issue with low FPS is that it isn’t the same everywhere in the game. I could be running around Straights of Devistation and get 50+ FPS, but when in Rata Sum near the bank I get around 18-20. Standing in front of SAB right now I get around 15FPS and that’s just standing there doing nothing.

During the Svanir Shaman (Frozen Maw) world boss event my FPS can drop down as low as 7. I get around 18 FPS during the Shatterer world boss event.

I can be in the Royal Terrace in Divinity’s Reach, up by the asura gate, staring at the wall and get around 30FPS. But if I just turn my camera to face the mystic forge it suddenly drops to 18FPS.

The framerate issue seems to be map-wide, as in, you don’t need to have all the special effects and players in front of you on screen for your framerate to drop. 50 players could be on 1 side of the map and you could be clear across on the other side with nobody around and nothing special happening and your FPS won’t be as good as it should be.

For example, around SAB there are tons of special effects from the decorations, player texture, back skins, weapon skins, etc. and my framerate is bad. I go down to the bank/trading post area below and there are only a few players in the area but my framerate only goes up maybe 2-4 FPS.

I also proved it to my uncle. In Metrica Province he was getting 90+ FPS. I told him “check your framerate while standing in front of SAB in Rata Sum”. His FPS dropped down to 30 or less. That’s how friggen bad this issue is.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Boxer.5369

Boxer.5369

I’ve had the same lag issues but now my game will not even load and is completely unplayable. When the game becomes playable on the update screen I click play and it takes me to the map loading screen as usual, but now the game just stays on the map loading screen. It took me two days to re-install the game to the point where I can try to click play and it is still doing the same thing. It is very frustrating and tiring.

Charrbeque.8729

Hmm….maybe it was a Windows update, or the updated version of Display Driver Unistaller that improved things for me. (I been using that to wipe out my graphics drivers and software and reinstalling everything, multiple times over the last week or so trying to get things working better)

While doing the Shatter event today for the daily the GW options window showed I was getting around 12 FPS but the game ran pretty dang smoothly with no stuttering. GPU-Z seems to show my graphics card is running a few degrees cooler with just the desktop and nothing else. Before I was getting around 40-42 degrees Celsius with the game running or just the desktop. Right now with the game running it’s about the same, so my GPU was never having a problem with temperature.

Overall at this moment things are running better due to some update somewhere, or a miracle.

Tomorrow I should get my RAM in and I can put together my new PC, which will be a whole lot better since my comp is a few years old.

Posted by: onevsone.2098

onevsone.2098

Little update here

I noticed (at least for me) switch this option in Nvidia panel:

worked to solve the issue.

Now everytime I log a map, I’ve full fps

Ty Lokku for the hint

Pansertjald.5746

It won’t work for everybody.

A) My monitor has a refresh rate of 60 hertz. That’s it. There’s no other rate available.

B) VSync only works on monitors that support it. If your monitor doesn’t it’s going to cause framerate drops. I use to have VSync off until my uncle said I shouldn’t even use it. Turning VSync off improved the performance of the game quite a bit for me.

My issue with low FPS is that it isn’t the same everywhere in the game. I could be running around Straights of Devistation and get 50+ FPS, but when in Rata Sum near the bank I get around 18-20. Standing in front of SAB right now I get around 15FPS and that’s just standing there doing nothing.

During the Svanir Shaman (Frozen Maw) world boss event my FPS can drop down as low as 7. I get around 18 FPS during the Shatterer world boss event.

I can be in the Royal Terrace in Divinity’s Reach, up by the asura gate, staring at the wall and get around 30FPS. But if I just turn my camera to face the mystic forge it suddenly drops to 18FPS.

The framerate issue seems to be map-wide, as in, you don’t need to have all the special effects and players in front of you on screen for your framerate to drop. 50 players could be on 1 side of the map and you could be clear across on the other side with nobody around and nothing special happening and your FPS won’t be as good as it should be.

For example, around SAB there are tons of special effects from the decorations, player texture, back skins, weapon skins, etc. and my framerate is bad. I go down to the bank/trading post area below and there are only a few players in the area but my framerate only goes up maybe 2-4 FPS.

I also proved it to my uncle. In Metrica Province he was getting 90+ FPS. I told him “check your framerate while standing in front of SAB in Rata Sum”. His FPS dropped down to 30 or less. That’s how friggen bad this issue is.

1. Your uncle doesn`t know what he`s talking about then.

There is more then 60 Hz. If you have a 60 Hz screen, then yes you only have 60 Hz.

But if you have a 120 or 144 Hz screen then you have 120 or 144 Hz (FPS). But that doesn`t meen that your rig can maintain the 120 or 144 Hz.

2. All screens support Vsync ( it`s a feature build in your GFX card, that locks itself to your screens refresh rate) and Vsync is there to make sure you don`t go over your screens refresh rate (Hz, FPS) so you don`t get screen tearing, which can kill your monitor in the long run. Turning off Vsync is a really dumb idea .

If you have a monitor that is only 60 Hz, then it can not show any thing above 60 Fps, meening that all the numbers above 60 FPS will not do any thing for your other then giving you screen tearing. Your FPS count could be 320 FPS, but your monitor can not show more then 60 FPS, so the rest is not doing any thing for you, other then making you GFX card use power that is doesn`t need to use.

So allways use Vsync. It`s helps your monitor and save work power on your GFX card.

(edited by Pansertjald.5746)

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Just saying, Vsync is bad, period. It introduces lag which is not what you want in a fast paced game like Gw2.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Pansertjald.5746

Just saying, Vsync is bad, period. It introduces lag which is not what you want in a fast paced game like Gw2.

No Vsync is not bad and it dos not introduces fps lag

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

No Vsync is not bad and it dos not introduces fps lag

Say whatever you want, but the way vsync works it introduces lag no matter what you do. There’re techniques to minimize it, but it is impossible to eliminate it.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

Welcome to the world of real time rendering! Running around straits is very light on rendering compared to the entrance of SAB with 20-100 people running around the vicinity. Play Character Models and NPCs are the most resource intensive things to render ingame

This is more of an issue with Culling. Just because you dont see them doesn’t mean they still aren’t getting rendered. This is affected mostly by LOD Distance.
(Fyi, water reflections never get culled, even if you cant see water on the map)

As explained above, perfectly typical in this game. Not a “problem” anyone here can solve. But this part is odd…

GPU-Z seems to show my graphics card is running a few degrees cooler with just the desktop and nothing else. Before I was getting around 40-42 degrees Celsius with the game running or just the desktop.

Your GPU is the same temperature after idling on the desktop for 5-10 mins as it is after playing for +15 mins? That is not a good sign at all. You could have the worlds best production watercooling system and not see load temperatures anywhere that close to idle temps.

What’s your system specifications?

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Charrbeque.8729

Here’s the issue I had with V-sync:

V-sync turned on – stuttering so bad at world boss events all I could do was set my character to auto attack and wait for the event to finish.

V-sync turned off – immediate improvement. I can get around 10fps at a world boss event and the game plays pretty smoothly. Also I haven’t noticed ANY tearing anywhere in the game with it off.

V-sync is not a one-size-fits-all option. For some people it actually makes things bad, or worse, while for others it fixes certain issues they’re having.

Each person should run their own tests to see if having V-sync on is better or worse for them.

@MrFayth.3546,
I did come to the realization eventually that frame rates going down in graphic intensive areas of the game is normal.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t “culling”. Even with player characters at a distance not visible on screen due to the LOD being set to medium, I could still hold the ALT key and see their character names pop up, but that wasn’t the case. There were actually only a few characters around that area.

I guess I was a bit unclear on GPU temps. With just the desktop I was getting about 42 degrees C. While playing GW it was around 10 degrees warmer. After exiting the game the temperature did drop back down to around 42. That was with my Geforce GTX 750.

For my new GTX 950, the temperature is at 66 degrees with just the desktop running and is usually in the mid to high 70s with gaming, sometimes going up as high as around 80 degrees. The reason for that is the “quiet” fan. It doesn’t increase much in speed until the GPU gets rather hot, in order to keep the fan quieter.

Easily solved though. EVGA PrecisionX 16 – auto fan speed controls. I have it set to automatically increase the fan to a certain percent at higher temperatures. So while playing GW it’s in the 50-60 degree range now. Also, the fan seems to be broken in now. Even at higher speeds it seems to run a lot quieter now than it originally did.

Also, for people worried about your FPS going too far above your monitor’s refresh rate: You could try this: Game options>Graphics>frame rate limiter. Set it to 60fps if your monitor has a max refresh rate of 60Hertz.

Edit: In conclusion, my only issue is being an idiot and not realizing that not having 60fps 100% of the time is actually normal. LOL

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

soundsonic.1704

Still not improved graphical error. Lest such a powerful system you play low to medium settings! vga weaker processor and improved performance can be achieved. C’mon Anet
Warhammer online is such a long time was a problem, but reduced skill graphic effect.

(edited by soundsonic.1704)