in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Fred the Elf.3286

Fred the Elf.3286

Two things,

1) I also have gotten the keyboard issue twice – so not very often, and only recently

2) I continue to get fairly random crashes on at least a daily basis, sometimes fairly frequently. Most of the time it is just when I am running around, moving, not related to any mobs, fights, zones, etc. One thing that is almost always the case when I am moving is that I am holding down <Ctrl> so I can see names/labels while moving and I am also holding down right-mouse so I can control turning while moving – and it may be that all my crashes while moving have that in common, I’ll try and pay closer attention to see if I ever crash when I am not doing those two things.

Posted by: verissey.8632

verissey.8632

(A month behind but…) This has made me the happiest person EVER! Thanks ANet! Not hat I didn’t like the old client, but this new one makes it run so much better and makes my laptop a lot quieter while looking better visually and playing better. I love it.

For me, parts of my characters are invisible/missing in the selection screen. Not a big deal to me considering they come back once I enter into gameplay. But every time I try and run it, it crashes after about 5 minutes into gameplay. I never know why it does this, but I’d love to play on it more and it’s frustrating because it just freezes then crashes. I don’t know if that’s just me though.

If you need me to add pictures of the character selection screen, I will later on.

Posted by: theinsac.9763

theinsac.9763

Get a consistent crash in the Sylvari starting tutorial on the boss fight. Submitted details via the game generated crash dialogue. Just making note of here.

Having the same issue here

Posted by: leoh.7239

leoh.7239

Hello,

First, I’d like to thanks the development team for their work on this new client.

I am currently running a 15" macbook pro retina late 2014 (nvidia 750m).
I am also using an eGPU via thunderbolt 2 (Nvidia GTX 1070) with a 4k monitor.

To have compared the cider client and this one, there is a lot of improvements but it’s still very laggy. I only have 2 resolutions possible in the settings (2160p and 1080p).
If I use 2160p I am running the game at 20-30 fps.

On Windows 10, using the same setup, I was able to run the game smoothly (~60fps) in 3840×2160.

Do you plan to support eGPU on mac as macOS High Sierra will?
Do you have any advice to make the game run better on macOS?

Thank you very much!

Posted by: Zero.1028

Zero.1028

I’ve noticed that the keyboard issue mostly happens when an event ends, such as killing a boss or when you complete objectives. Another thing I’ve noticed is that it causes a crash if I tab in and out of GW2 during the keyboard bug.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

It would be nice if you investigate why we’re alsmost ALWAYS kicked from metaevents maps.

That is almost always a memory issue as there is a surge when everyone tries to get the chest. Aside from major recoding there are two simple fixes, have less memory be requested (ie, turn down your graphics settings) or have more memory available (add memory, quit things you do not need running). Activity monitor is your friend.

Menadena.7482

We are actively investigating the crashing. Unfortunately it hasn’t been easy to reproduce internally.

Jon, what hardware setups are you using? It might be as simple as a physical memory overflow and people are using the stock 8 GB.

Then again, I have managed to crash it rarely with 24. I do concur it seems to happen more often lately though.

Menadena.7482

For those having the keyboard problem, is it keyboard layout related.. i.e. is the game switching layouts on your or some other behavior?

When I saw the layout mentioned recently I was intrigued. I had my keyboard glitch on me during the first instance of ep6. Sometime after I noticed my keyboard layout had changed to my Finnish one. Unfortunately I do not know if the 2 incidents were related but knew I had not used that layout recently.

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

Jon, what hardware setups are you using? It might be as simple as a physical memory overflow and people are using the stock 8 GB.

Then again, I have managed to crash it rarely with 24. I do concur it seems to happen more often lately though.

Our machines range from 4 to 16 GB of RAM at this time.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Ursacian.4067

Ursacian.4067

i am really glad to see that a new 64bit mac client has been launched since i last played the game (in late 2014). i have different mac machines (latest 2016 mbp, late 2015 mbp, latest macmini and latest imac 2017). ill be back with feedback and in-game reports

Menadena.7482

Our machines range from 4 to 16 GB of RAM at this time.

It sounds like some of your test machines are on the older side if you get down to 4 GB? Interesting that those can run it as I would expect them to crash before the stock 8+ GB most machines have now.

Posted by: Rong.5470

Rong.5470

I got random dcs more often than before. It’s really annoying. Also restarting the game take a long time, It would not take so long if I wouldn’t submit reports. I have no idea if it helps or do you even make use of it…
There’s even worse than usual because I can’t loggin back!!! I restarted router few times and still can’t loggin :/
@EDIT: Ok this is not mac version problem but yours Anet, you even cant tell us servers will be unavailable, it’s not that obvious even when beta starts because it’s in 3 or 4 hours, I would not waist my time in that case. You see that is your problem you can’t talk with us, we give you feedback but you don’t want it, you seem to dont care very often.

There is no list of bugs whatsoever so I doubt it is worth to write something here. Testing is reaaaaly hard on 64 bit because there’s camera bug not fixed for over month, random keyboard not responding bug… 32 bit almost stopped working from the time you announced 64 bit version so there is no alternatives.

Give us some list of bugs to fix so we don’t report one thing 5000 times.

Attachments:

(edited by Rong.5470)

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

i am not on a mac. win10.
but after you did this update i have started to have wierd choke lag, like my PC can’t handle it in certain situations.
never had this before, didnt change anything on my system and i am running a Beast of a machine så nowhere near maxing out my cpu, ram or gpu (planty of hardware space, ssd).

not sure how your changes to make it compatible to mac should have any effect on win10 performances but this is my experience since the patch a couple of weeks ago. (didn’t write on the forum before now as i assumed it was on my system and was doing a ton of testing to figure out the issue, however i cannot replicated anything like it in any other game nor benchmark testing).

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

i am not on a mac. win10.
but after you did this update i have started to have wierd choke lag, like my PC can’t handle it in certain situations.
never had this before, didnt change anything on my system and i am running a Beast of a machine så nowhere near maxing out my cpu, ram or gpu (planty of hardware space, ssd).

not sure how your changes to make it compatible to mac should have any effect on win10 performances but this is my experience since the patch a couple of weeks ago. (didn’t write on the forum before now as i assumed it was on my system and was doing a ton of testing to figure out the issue, however i cannot replicated anything like it in any other game nor benchmark testing).

Your issues are quite unlikely to be connected to the Mac client work.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: alia.8349

alia.8349

Preliminary status report: I gained about 5 – 10fps and have yet to crash with the update.

Posted by: Blackwood.9072

Blackwood.9072

Is this a problem (see coloring in screenshot, left side of chest) with the beta Mac client or a graphics setting?

Compared to 32-bit client (2nd image).

Attachments:

Posted by: Thejewishpeople.1367

Thejewishpeople.1367

Playing on a late 2012 macbook pro, my load times are waaaay too long right now. I can’t really play the game because of this.

Secretary of Blixx
80 Thief

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

For some users there may be a client crash when entering full screen. This will be hotfixed soon. It may also happen when resizing the window.

Workaround: use -windowed via command line to ensure you play in windowed mode for now.

(edited by Jon Olson.8439)

Blackwood.9072

If my FPS does not really improve in the 64-bit with the same graphic settings as the 32-bit version on a MBP 2015, is that expected? Is the current version 64-bit client mainly meant to fix crashes associated with the 32-bit version?

The thing is… my 32-bit has the screen resolution set to 1680×1050, but the 64-bit is 1440×900. I would expect the 64-bit to be doing better at a lower resolution (game stutters at 2880×1800) with all other things being equal.

I also experience a moment of stutter / pause when I rotate the camera. It’s less than a second, but there is a slight freeze when I move it (which I why I’m using it now and not during the previous PvP season)

Graphics
- Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
- AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posted by: sunrun.4521

sunrun.4521

The latest change to the Touch Bar is a bit weird: there’s now an F13 key and what appears to be part of an F14 key when the system Control Strip only has three buttons configured. Can you even have F13 and F14? Regardless, as mentioned previously, it would be more useful to have F1-F12 expanded out to fill the width given that they’re so small right now. Even more ideal would be only having Fn keys displayed in the Touch Bar if they’re actually key bound to a function in the game, and hiding all the ones that aren’t, so that the Fn keys can be wider. (e.g. if there’s only five Fn keys bound to functions, only show those five and have them much wider so they’re easier to hit)

At least it’s nice to see some changes happening with that – thanks!

Posted by: Supercluster.7159

Supercluster.7159

I just finished playing for a few hours with the new update. The FPS went from an average of 30 up to about 45(hope it can get even higher) . The stuttering only happened for the first few moments after a loading screen. I had no keyboard problems, no crashes.

Still a few graphics issues that have been stated before.

Looks like the improvements are working great nice job, keep ’em coming.

Blackwood.9072

Is this a problem (see coloring in screenshot, left side of chest) with the beta Mac client or a graphics setting?

Ah, I managed to determine that setting Shaders to High or Low causes this issue, but Medium is without issue.

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

I’m not sure if anything else changed aside from the aforementioned bar stuff but this is running phenomenally (fps is feeling good) for me there is some stuttering still and the zone load times are literally 10-15 times longer than the 32 bit client but once it zones it runs great. Feels like we’re getting closed to the promised land.

Blackwood.9072

I can’t really take a screenshot in-game via the bug report system for this (due to mouse cursor moving), but when playing LS3 Chp. 5 if you use skills that have aiming guides (AoE circles, lines, etc) they are off-center from the cursor or sometimes not rendering depending on the camera angle. I also had the same problem w/ the final episode and aiming the dragon energy at the hounds.

Basically, where I am aiming w/ my cursor does NOT match up w/ where the game places the target. Observe in the screenshot where the AoE circle is. My mouse (which was not captured in the screenshot?) vs. the center. Also, guidelines for aiming that are supposed to pivot off the PC are pivoting off another point (slightly around / above center of screen instead of the PC).

Second and possibly related, not all Enemy AoE circles are being drawn or are only partially drawn depending on the camera angle.

Attachments:

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

I’ve been noticing that sometimes, I get like an overlay on the screen, which is very faint. It looks to me like the ambient occlusion of the scene doesn’t update sometimes and the last frame of it (is it a screen space effect?) is left hanging over everything. In the attached screenshot you can see the effect if you look closely. The lines of the steps above the character are offset a little to the right, and the bush far above the character, it looks like the AO is hovering over the ground. Of course it’s easier to see in motion, but…

Attachments:

Posted by: Arten.3915

Arten.3915

Guys! Big improvement! I’ve been playing the Mac 64-Bit Beta for 5 hours tonight with no crash!!! I still get a small bit of stuttering every once in a while, but this is becoming awesome! I am also experiencing what I call that “Ghosting Bug” where there is a graphic overlay of one frame that is semi-transparent. Not often though. I am beginning to feel pretty confident that I can start commanding with this build. I’m very, very excited and wish to thank your entire team. With this build being this solid, I will be buying the next expansion. Thank you all again!

—Astral Myth

Posted by: Alfred Nobel.2914

Alfred Nobel.2914

The client runs very bad tbh. 2016 model 2.9-3.8 16gb ram. Around 20-30 fps with minimal settings idling in LA.

(edited by Alfred Nobel.2914)

Posted by: OmegaDragotroid.6973

OmegaDragotroid.6973

Ah, I managed to determine that setting Shaders to High or Low causes this issue, but Medium is without issue.

I’ve been having this issue as well. Thanks for the workaround! Confirmed that this does fix the rendering issue on armors.

Posted by: papsu.6094

papsu.6094

everytime I start the game on my Mac. Coherent_UI_Host crashes without fail. This is on iMac. The ghostly shadows are a pain and crashes occur after a while due to memory?. GW2 is not handling itself properly if I have iTunes playing music in the background. It acts up and usually crashes.

Posted by: MaxOS.7531

MaxOS.7531

For all those who can miss the Control Strip while playing:

Go to System preferences > Keyboard > Short Cuts > Function Keys
and add GW2 64-bit to list of applications.

That replaces the games fn-keys with wide function keys. If you hold down the fn-key, you will still have access to the expanded control strip.
If you switch applications or Spaces, the normal Touch Bar layout will appear.

MaxOS.7531

On the new patch:

performance increase, stutters and fps down after loading screen, keyboard layout issues still persistent and client still reads a kittenton of data from the hard drive. (35GB of data in 5 min of playing).

(edited by MaxOS.7531)

Posted by: Rong.5470

Rong.5470

Strange visual bug when clicking ‘F’ on NPC

Attachments:

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

My in game performance is still at about 15-20 fps while idling in lions arch. That is with the auto detect settings and some other things turned off/down. Not sure if this is because of the client reading so much data from the hard drive in such a short amount of time, or if the client just needs to be optimised more for my specific macbook model.

For me the client is rather unplayable atm, especially since I like to play in wvw mostly, the lag when trying to look around or turn drops my fps to 0 until it catches up, and the general fps is just not enough for me to play. The graphics in game do look a lot better. though my characters clothing is still tearing and looking discoloured at the login screen.

Keep up the good work

My Specs:
Model: MacBook Pro with Retina Display
RAM: 16gb
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

I haven’t played in a while, trying to get back to the game for the new expansion. I am currently running macOS 10.13 beta, using the 2016 MacBook Pro (Radeon Pro 460). The performance using the native client is absolutely terrible (around 10 fps on medium settings, 1680×1050 resolution). This surprises me somehow, because I was getting around 40-50 fps on my old MBP with the M370X (thats about half as fast as the new GPU). Is there a known issue with the Polaris cards or High Sierra beta?

(edited by green plum.7514)

Posted by: Frostiiz.3612

Frostiiz.3612

Just download the new 64 bit client, and I can’t find the config file (I deleted the 32bit version of the game) to change the Vram amount used. I get extremely low fps around 13-20fps in LA, all minimum settings. If anyone knows where the file is or how to do it for the 64bit client I would appreciate.

MaxOS.7531

Just download the new 64 bit client, and I can’t find the config file (I deleted the 32bit version of the game) to change the Vram amount used. I get extremely low fps around 13-20fps in LA, all minimum settings. If anyone knows where the file is or how to do it for the 64bit client I would appreciate.

There is no config file because the file was for the cider wrapper. As this is a native client it automatically uses all available Vram without needing to reconfigure it.

Posted by: alia.8349

alia.8349

I haven’t played in a while, trying to get back to the game for the new expansion. I am currently running macOS 10.13 beta, using the 2016 MacBook Pro (Radeon Pro 460). The performance using the native client is absolutely terrible (around 10 fps on medium settings, 1680×1050 resolution). This surprises me somehow, because I was getting around 40-50 fps on my old MBP with the M370X (thats about half as fast as the new GPU). Is there a known issue with the Polaris cards or High Sierra beta?

I’d be curious about this as well, since I also had a decrease in FPS going from a 2013 to a 2017 MBP (Geforce 750M vs. Radeon Pro 560).

Posted by: captsharpe.7156

captsharpe.7156

I just installed the 64 bit client, the graphics option in game are only showing me 3 options, instead of the options i had in the 32 bit client, is this a bug or intended? my preferred resolution is not an option listed and it is greatly impacting whether or not i enjoy the new client

Blackwood.9072

I just installed the 64 bit client, the graphics option in game are only showing me 3 options, instead of the options i had in the 32 bit client, is this a bug or intended? my preferred resolution is not an option listed and it is greatly impacting whether or not i enjoy the new client

Apparently we’re stuck to whole number multipliers for resolution with the 64-bit.

Posted by: DrMORO.4627

DrMORO.4627

Game Update Notes – August 8, 2017
MAC CLIENT
*Further refinement to keyboard layout handling.
*Fixed an issue in which apparent momentum blocked the mouse from moving with various controls.
*Fixed issues in which the Dock popped into view while in full screen.
*The Full-Screen Gamma control now works.
*The Vertical Sync checkbox now works.
*Fixed an issue in which some UI elements drew lines across the screen.
*Updated the client launcher to be rendered in the native screen resolution on retina screens.

Can all these be confirmed?

Posted by: Xynke.1034

Xynke.1034

There are so much problems ive had ever since I upgraded from 32 to 64 bit on my mac (21.5 in late 2013) the biggest problem is the loading time. On average 2-3 minutes while on a 32 bit client it only takes 15-45 seconds. 2nd; Skill particle effects dont appear, all i see is my character doing the animation for that skill. and 3rd; players, npc and mobs dont appear only the nameplate.

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

First off, thank you for the updates to the client today, but now on to some issues still very prominent I think. I am not sure about everyone else but my mac is still very laggy in game, with fps around 20-25 while idling in LA. Opening the map and trying to look around in it, is still very glitchy/laggy it seems as well. Whenever I try to look around my fps generally drop to 0 until the client catches up and then I’m back to about 15-20 depending on where I am. Also my characters clothing is still discolored/torn on the character select screen. To me the low fps and lag is making the client unplayable (I like to be competitive in wvw/pvp). I’m not sure why this is an issue but I do believe others are having this same issue as well, and for me, the client has been like this since release performance wise.

Not sure if this will help but I added some screen shots of my activity monitor for gw2, as well as my mac specs.

Attachments:

Posted by: DrMORO.4627

DrMORO.4627

Game Update Notes – August 8, 2017
MAC CLIENT

*The Full-Screen Gamma control now works.

Can all these be confirmed?

Well, self-testing, self-replying.

Yes, the control knob does work.
But, the actual Gamma does not change…
Halfway there, sorta.

Posted by: Illumine.5962

Illumine.5962

Right now, it looks as if the hardware supported is pretty limited for the 64-bit version. Is there any chance this will be expanded in the future? I have major issues, like everyone else, running the older client on my Mac. It crashes during big events. My Mac is an iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM (2011 model). It’s not listed as being supported for the 64-bit client, but… maybe it would be fine? It’s either that or buy a copy of windows and use Bootcamp.

Posted by: Dizz.5230

Dizz.5230

I just finished one DS meta event now.

It’s better after few patches, more stable more FPS more smooth in meta event.

But still have the keyboard problem just not that often at least I can almost finish DS meta event without this problem now, and few small things like AoE ground target ring don’t display at right place or looks twisted, the red circle under target sometimes unable to be seen or looks twisted, and ambient occlusion afterimage issue, and “alt+anykey” still make alt stuck.

(edited by Dizz.5230)

Posted by: Hellchaos.7138

Hellchaos.7138

I have strange bug with the trading post / Gems store.
On the gem store, when i move my mouse on an another item everything become “blurry” for 1 sec. I have the same problem on the trading post, when i move my mouse on an input area (Price and quantity). It’s better with a video : https://youtu.be/JzZqEPPtmEA

Posted by: yanomi.5728

yanomi.5728

The last patch made things much better!
Frequent crashes are gone and performance has gone noticeably up. While the issue with the keyboard stopping to respond still remains, the client now feels WAAAY better than the 32-bit one. Awesome work mac team!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB Memory
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Posted by: VampireDeluxe.9724

VampireDeluxe.9724

did anyone testet it on a 2017 mbp 13 ?

Menadena.7482

Jon (or if anyone else knows) … will the gamma control be coming to the windowed version? Or maybe we can at least set it in full screen then switch back to windowed to see how it changes the experience?

There are some things that, while maybe not strictly bugs, could probably be improved with graphics settings. For example, areas that are way too bright (I usually see this near the minister’s WP in DR), possibly too dark, or just plain odd (was my hair ALWAYS that colour?).

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

@Illumine.5962: I believe you should be fine to try it. The machines we have listed are the various machines we’ve been able to directly test the client against. It’s not an exhaustive list.

We’re continuing to investigate the keyboard issues and the graphical problems being reported (here and in-game).

@Menadena.7482: Gamma on Mac is interesting: it affects the entire display. It’s currently limited to full screen due to being in parity with the Windows client.