in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Illumine.5962

Illumine.5962

Due to the extreme chugging I get at some point (not related to population, effects, etc. and happens randomly), and the fact that certain things (buildings, some items, mobs, AoE effects) don’t render – sometimes for a LONG time, like half an hour – I went to try the 32-bit client again. It now crashes my entire computer. Log shows a kernel panic. Sometimes it happens immediately on starting up the client, other times I at least log in before it crashes. I’d read that this was an issue after Sierra came out, but I would think it would have been fixed by now. I hadn’t played in over a year and came back for the expansion. I love that the 64-bit client never crashes, but the chugging and rendering issues are major. During the Mordremoth fight, even some of the rocky cliff areas didn’t render, so I could only get around by following someone else. Grass was there, but no ground. Often, bodies of water won’t render unless I’m underwater. The moment I surface, it’s gone again. Makes for some interesting times figuring out how to get around.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I have been testing the Mac 64 bit client for the past couple of days with mixed results. It is certainly more sluggish than the beta version. I have had a lot of choppiness, as others have mentioned, the key commands disappeared at one time, and today I had ghosting. I took a screen shot though it was worse live. You may see the ghost of a tree and a rock. These ghosts of the scenery would appear at random in front of my character. This was in Dredgehaunt Cliffs. The game played really badly there. Perhaps its all the falling snow.

Yesterday I played in Harathi and it was beautiful. I hardly noticed any lag and the graphics looked much prettier than I had ever seen.

I am on an iMac i7 3.4 ghz 8 GB Ram – late 2012 model.

Edit Unticking the Ambient Occlusion in the graphics options has made my game run so much better. No more ghosting graphics and the laggy stuttering has all but gone. I am feeling much better about this Mac version now

Attachments:

(edited by Figlilly.3907)

Posted by: Windance.7504

Windance.7504

I’ve had this game since it first came out, and had honestly lost hope about it ever improving for Mac. I’m glad I finally checked the forum and saw this. The new client runs much, much better than the old one that was in beta for…years?

I am able to run at max graphics perfectly, even in the most populated areas, though a bit laggy but that’s to be expected in such areas, and I’m doing all of this on just my laptop. I’m quite thankful.

The only strange thing I noticed…is that it saves screenshots as bmps instead of jpgs or pngs for some reason. I had to change it to upload it here.

Other than that, finally glad to say that this game can actually advertise that it’s for mac without feeling like it’s somewhat false advertising.

Attachments:

When in doubt, tough it out. That or panic. Either way.

Posted by: Jingo.7821

Jingo.7821

I haven’t really used the 64-bit because the loading times are in the minutes where the 32-bit client loads in about 30sec. When I try to repair or open the client (on the 64-bit) I receive this error:

[17810:1027:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(303)] locale_file_path.empty()
[warn] kq_init: detected broken kqueue; not using.: Undefined error: 0

CoherentUI_Host quit unexpectedly

Not sure what that means but it’s hard to test the client when it ruins the experience. If there’s an explanation for this error that would be appreciated and perhaps I’m not the only one.

27" iMac 2011, 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

(edited by Jingo.7821)

Posted by: MiirikDragon.9263

MiirikDragon.9263

The downside is the keyboard bug—it becomes non-responsive. Simply relaunching the game clears the problem for now.

Moving info on the above bug from another topic to this one.

It only seems to happen for me in combat, usually when I’m participating in an event. It’s happened to me in PvE and WvW (I’ve only been in the Heart of the Mists and not actual PvP matches since this issue started occurring). Fortunately, it hasn’t happened in Fractals of the Mist, but that may just be luck.

UPDATE: It has occurred both in fullscreen and in windowed mode. It occurred most recently while I was running around out of combat (in WvW), so there’s probably no correlation to events and combat.

Posted by: Bacon.7035

Bacon.7035

I’ve been sticking to the beta client until recently, since the current update with the PoF launcher has made it unplayable. However, the native client is not much better. I’m experiencing massive lag and low FPS regardless of graphic settings. I also recently encountered a new bug where the keyboard would stop working ingame. Any tips on improving this gaming experience? I’d prefer to avoid bootcamp.

Specs:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Bacön

Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Coco.3467

Coco.3467

During the “Hearts and Minds” mission, the keyboard bug always comes up (like only the arrow keys work).
I haven’t been able to get through the mission without having the bug (Tried three times today, each time I had it …).

Mission Spoiler
Happened twice during Eir's fight, and once before arriving to Trahearne

Hope you will be able to fix it soon

Posted by: sigg.1735

sigg.1735

I just experienced the keyboard bug at Vinewrath.

Posted by: alia.8349

alia.8349

This is a minor request, but could we get some sort of alert when the pvp queue pops but the client is tabbed out, the way the windows client does?

Posted by: Illumine.5962

Illumine.5962

So this is a new issue for me, but twice today, my game has frozen my entire computer. A pop up comes up with the option of sending the crash info, but because I’m frozen, I can’t send it. Mouse, keyboard, etc freezes up. I can’t force quit. I have to reboot my entire computer via a hard reset. Not fun. Combine that with the four times my keyboard stopped working, and it’s been a pretty unproductive day. I realllllly hope that keyboard thing is fixed soon. Always seems to happen when I’m moving, especially turning around. The game will stutter and then I’ll spin for half a second and then it stops responding.

Posted by: Gahn.1597

Gahn.1597

Okay. So tested the 64 bit client on my brand new Mac Book Pro Retina 15 Inch Mid 2017 Model i5, Radeon Pro 560, 16GB Ram and OS Sierra 10.12.5.
Settings mostly on middle as can be seen in the screenshots:

-HORRIBLY low framerates usually everywhere PVE, WVW, PVP within 20-30 fps
-In Combat frequent lags and framerate drops make PVP impossible
-5-12FPS in map screen when moving around
-Keyboard suddenly stops working from time to time just arrow keys seem to be working needs Game Restart to solve it.

Never experienced so low performance ever before on older Macbooks. Very disappointing performance. Takes away all the fun to play. Will probably stop playing for a bit until they fix that. 32-Bit Version never gave so many problems.

Attachments:

(edited by Gahn.1597)

Posted by: Arten.3915

Arten.3915

I am now experiencing the “Keyboard Lockout Bug” about once every 2-3 hours. I also think theat the “Screen Ghosting Bug” is related to the Ambient Occlusion setting.

—Astral Myth

(edited by Arten.3915)

Figlilly.3907

I just had my keyboard lock straight out of character creation in the first battle. Thank goodness for Caithe and my ranger’s pet or I would have failed before I started.

Turning off the Ambient Inclusion got rid of my ghosting and it also alleviated most of the stuttering.

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

Here’s an experiment for those of you hitting the keyboard bug: turn off autocorrect.

For newer versions of macOS this is in the Text tab of Keyboard Preferences.
For older versions of macOS this is in the Text tab of Language & Text Preferences.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Pallasite.2461

Pallasite.2461

Anyone else having issues patching? I really wanted to hit up the preview content this weekend but I haven’t even been able to patch or play for a week or so.

My 64 bit launcher tries super hard jumping from 14mb/s to 0 kb/s, and then after a few minutes, flatlining for good.

Posted by: bubblewrap.4987

bubblewrap.4987

Game won’t start after last patch.

Posted by: alia.8349

alia.8349

Here’s an experiment for those of you hitting the keyboard bug: turn off autocorrect.

For older versions of macOS this is in the Text tab of Language & Text Preferences.

I’ve had this off by default and regularly get the keyboard bug.

Posted by: Yamar Denitche.7130

Yamar Denitche.7130

I’ve had this off by default and regularly get the keyboard bug.

Same. GFX performance should be better with my 1080ti, but it works, my only real complaint is the KB locking up.

As entertaining as it is to bind jump, interact, and spawn mount to f13-15 so I can still “play” it kinda sucks…

Posted by: Arten.3915

Arten.3915

Well guys, sorry to say that wasn’t it. I’m still locking up. ;-(

—Astral Myth

Posted by: sunrun.4521

sunrun.4521

One positive data point: I haven’t experienced a single crash in the past few days. That’s a huge turn-around from my experience previously!

Figlilly.3907

Well guys, sorry to say that wasn’t it. I’m still locking up. ;-(

—Astral Myth

Let me add my ‘nope’ to this as well. Keyboard commands disappeared as soon as I loaded.

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

One positive data point: I haven’t experienced a single crash in the past few days. That’s a huge turn-around from my experience previously!

Same here. Stability overall seems improved lately.

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

I’ve played with auto correct off from the beginning. It did not solve keyboard off problem.

[Underworld][ZERK]

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

64bit client seems to be not so fluent as 32bit.

I play wvw with all settings set to low. the framerate is 70-80fps. FPS shows no drop at all. but any skill use is not fluent. it’s “jumpy”. it goes as supposed and then on random moments it gets stuck for a mili second. it happens on random occasions, 2-5 times per 10 seconds. does not depend on skills I use or number of people around. It’s different from skill lag.

I run MBpro mid 2015, 15", i7 2.2Ghz, 16gb, intel iris pro , Sierra

[Underworld][ZERK]

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

Okay. We think we have a bead on what is happening with the keyboard, though it’d be good to get some confirmation from some of you.

Open Terminal, and run the game via command line. If installed in the default location, this would look like:

open /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/GuildWars2

This will open a second Terminal window that will fill with text as the game runs. Play the game as per normal until you encounter the bug. Quit the game. Once the game is shut down the Terminal window should have a final line saying “[Process completed]”. If you could save the entire log from this window and post it that would help us confirm our suspicion and get us one step closer to resolving this frustrating bug!

Saving the log:

1. ?A (Edit > Select All) will select the contents of the window
  2. ???C (Edit > Copy Special > Copy Plain Text) will copy the now selected contents
  3. Open TextEdit or your favorite text editor
  4. ?V (Edit > Paste)
  5. Save the file
  6. Reply to this thread with the file as an attachment

Thank you!

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: DrMORO.4627

DrMORO.4627

Okay. We think we have a bead on what is happening with the keyboard, though it’d be good to get some confirmation from some of you.

Open Terminal, and run the game via command line. If installed in the default location, this would look like:

This will open a second Terminal window that will fill with text as the game runs. Play the game as per normal until you encounter the bug. Quit the game. Once the game is shut down the Terminal window should have a final line saying “[Process completed]”. If you could save the entire log from this window and post it that would help us confirm our suspicion and get us one step closer to resolving this frustrating bug!

Saving the log:

2. ???C (Edit > Copy Special > Copy Plain Text) will copy the now selected contents
  4. ?V (Edit > Paste)
  5. Save the file

Thank you!

oooh, Bug hunting!
Sounds like a nice event to happen.
Should we Mac 64-bit users LFG, fight this mystery boss foe together?

Will run the Mac 64-bit from terminal all the time, just in case I encounter the BIG Boss Bug.

DrMORO.4627

Saving the log:

4. ?V (Edit > Paste)
  5. Save the file

Thank you!

oooh, Bug hunting!

Will run the Mac 64-bit from terminal all the time, just in case I encounter the BIG Boss Bug.

Well, initial run from Terminal, it starts out from giving a Warning of the same kind multiple times, like this:

[66154:1291:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(303)] locale_file_path.empty()
Renderer Log: [66209:1291:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(303)] locale_file_path.empty()

This is just short start up and running around LA.
No BIG Bad Bug Boss encountered, yet.

DrMORO.4627

Saving the log:

4. ?V (Edit > Paste)
  5. Save the file

Thank you!

oooh, Bug hunting!

Well, initial run from Terminal, it starts out from giving a Warning of the same kind multiple times, like this:

[66154:1291:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(303)] locale_file_path.empty()
Renderer Log: [66209:1291:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(303)] locale_file_path.empty()

This is just short start up and running around LA.
No BIG Bad Bug Boss encountered, yet.

BTW, just a thought.

Can someone create an AppleScript or Automator script, so that by double-clicking/opening it, the 64-bit Mac GW2 app will run from the Terminal?
Even more, anyone in ANet create this, and post a ‘official’ download link to make it safe for all Mac users to monitor and test?

Posted by: Akari Kage.1403

Akari Kage.1403

This is the terminal message until the keyboard bug.

You can all fight dragons, defend against them, protect the weak… I HUNT them (Dragonhunter)!

(edited by Akari Kage.1403)

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I don’t know if this is the same keyboard issue or something else, but Sunday suddenly I was unable to type in chat/inventory search/crafting search but still able to use the keyboard for movement and skills. This has happened twice on two different computers running the new client.

Also, I too have noticed more stability in the last week or so. Not perfect, but at least better than it was. Hopefully stable enough to still Raid once we are cut off from the 32bit client for good.

Has anybody tried the client in Dragon Stand and been able to survive past the final fight without crashing?

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Michael.8562

Michael.8562

First Thank You for the Mac Client!!!!!

I’ve only been playing it a short while and other than things that have already been pointed out – slow frame rate sporadically – the only thing I saw was a weird texture glitch- on the left sleeve of the character. Please see the attached screen shot. My characters was in the skritt cave in the north west of Brisban Wildlands.

Attachments:

Posted by: Piney.3076

Piney.3076

Mac client is a lot better, far less crashing. Earlier versions could barely get 1 pvp match in or even capture a camp in wvw without a crash. Now playing several hours no problem.

Still a bit laggy in some pvp matches.

Most serious remaining problem, occasional loss of keyboard input. Mouse still works, so I can get to the menu to quit and restart, which resolves the problem. But otherwise I couldn’t even cmd-tab to get out of the game and force quit.

Posted by: SuperFreak.2078

SuperFreak.2078

The attachment is my terminal output right after a frozen keyboard issue. Oddly, this one happened just a couple minutes after I started the client (usually it happens after a while playing).

There has been a lot of improvements to the Mac client lately. Keep up the good work, guys.

Posted by: Xynke.1034

Xynke.1034

Im getting really long loading times at least 2-5 minutes average, IDK whats causing this because I have a very fast internet connection. THe loading time has affected my gameplay drastically as I can no longer play pvp due to the afk penalty and will immediately kick me out of game due to inactivity this started happening ever since I upgraded to the 64 bit client event though I have a Mac thats late 2013 desktop i5. The loading times, texture loading, and environment missing are my number 1 issue for the client rn and I have to wait at least 5-10 minutes until everything in one map is loaded.

Posted by: Sequoia.2367

Sequoia.2367

Im getting really long loading times at least 2-5 minutes average, IDK whats causing this because I have a very fast internet connection. THe loading time has affected my gameplay drastically as I can no longer play pvp due to the afk penalty and will immediately kick me out of game due to inactivity this started happening ever since I upgraded to the 64 bit client event though I have a Mac thats late 2013 desktop i5. The loading times, texture loading, and environment missing are my number 1 issue for the client rn and I have to wait at least 5-10 minutes until everything in one map is loaded.

How much Ram Memory do you have?
I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, initially comes with 4GB of Ram. I recently upgraded my Ram to 16GB and although, I still do not get very good frame-rates (20~30), I load in much (much!) faster. Could be just that. If you have 4GB, its not enough no more.
P.s. and 8GB upgrade will cost you around $80 and will help with all applications.

Posted by: DocBerto.5790

DocBerto.5790

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, initially comes with 4GB of Ram. I recently upgraded my Ram to 16GB and although, I still do not get very good frame-rates (20~30), I load in much (much!) faster. Could be just that. If you have 4GB, its not enough no more.
P.s. and 8GB upgrade will cost you around $80 and will help with all applications.

It’s not the RAM, it’s the hard drive that slows down the game. The new client reads tons of data from the hard-disk.
Old client: 2 hours of play, 1.5 GB of data read from the hard-disk
New client: 25 minutes of play, 40 GB of data read from the hard-disk.
ArenaNet forgot that the new low entry iMac 2017 still has a 5400 rpm HD :-)

(edited by DocBerto.5790)

Posted by: Xynke.1034

Xynke.1034

I have 8gb in ram and 1tb of hard drive spae

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

I thought perhaps I was using the 64-bit version since someone in the thread mentioned “mandatory”, but I wasn’t. I downloaded it and it fixed my crashing problem at login, which was a 32-bit thing. (Hence the emulator crashing.) Did have to set video scaling to Native Resolution, to get rid of the blurry image. Also, set most things at Medium to get reasonable frame rates on my Touch Bar MacBook Pro.

So in my case, things got much better with 64-bit. Oh, with the occlusion setting I also get an odd anti-shadow around my character, but turning that off fixes it — and makes the overall screen brighter.

Xstein: Go into your game’s video settings and look for the scaling setting and select Native Resolution (or something like that). Instantly everything will be clearer and not blocky.

Ok, I changed it to Native resolution, which helped tremendously. I also tried out the occlusion to try to get a better picture, which changed some shadowing, but didn’t help the image that that much. I’m still getting very different images between the 64 bit and 32 bit, with the 64 bit image lagging in quality quite a bit behind the 32 bit image. I’m going to post some screenshots again. Some of the most noticeable differences is the skin, tattoos, background characters, chest plate, and belt. Below is the image for the 32 bit.

Attachments:

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

Here is the 64 bit image. From my screenshots, on the 64 bit, the skin looks a lot darker. The ocular occlusion setting is not helping this issue. The tattoos look blurry or fluffy compared to the 32 bit. I can barely see the face tattoo at all on the 64 bit image. The chest plate is lacking a ton of detail in the 64 bit compared to 32 (perhaps due to coloring). You can also notice a lot of detail lost on the belt. In the 64 bit screenshot the person in the background to the left has a very blurry face on the 64 bit. However, I can at least see the eyes on the black person in the background on the 32 bit image. Finally, this may be hard to see from your images. However, if you look closer, on the inside of the characters arms you can definitely see jagged pixels while the 32 bit shows straight clean lines. To me it looks like there are two problems. 1. There is something wrong with the coloring and detail. 2. You know how if you take an image that looks clear small and then enlarge it and it looks pixilated and bad. That is what the 64 bit seems to look to me a little like. Finally, the UI bar is still sooo big and I am wandering if there is any way to shrink it down still.

Attachments:

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Posted by: EchoPadder.7546

EchoPadder.7546

Hello,
I ran gw2 via terminal and have some output here. But it seems there is no suspicious log there… The keyboard bug happened after the last line of the output. Then i just quit via the ingame gear-menu.
I ran it via fish shell, not bash. Hope thats no problem…

Attachments:

Posted by: EchoPadder.7546

EchoPadder.7546

Also, here is my keyboard configuration.

Attachments:

Posted by: TactualRain.7109

TactualRain.7109

This client is night and day.

GOOD:
Stable as a rock.
Performs okay (not amazing as compared to the same hardware in Boot Camp, but definitely not a slide show like it used to be).
Pretty much just works.

ISSUES:
After some time playing, graphical distortion will occur (ghosting of previous scenes, as well as flickering of in-game objects).
Only 1440×900 and … uh, some Retina resolution are available. 1440 is pretty ugly, Retina res is asking a bit much of the hardware. What would be helpful? Something like 1080p, which is a nice compromise.
Some settings appear to have no effect, like sliders for lighting, textures, and so on. It appears to run at a fixed set of options which look okay, but nothing like the Windows client.

All in all, 2000x better than what we had, and amazing work so far As far as a “beta” client goes, this is great progress, and I can’t wait to see what the team comes up with next.

Posted by: Blackwood.9072

Blackwood.9072

Some flickering:
Note the character is standing in the same place and camera has not been removed. The flickering occurred as the capture point updated, but once it was fully captured it no longer flickered / jumped.

Attachments:

Posted by: Blackwood.9072

Blackwood.9072

As per screenshot, when you have 4 items to render it is a 2×2 grid rather than 4 in a row. No idea if this Mac-64 related or a new bug for everyone as I never saw this issue on Mac-32.

Similar problems occur at other numbers when doing a salvage all:
- 1 item = No item rendered
- 2 items = SOMETIMES there is a vertical column of items w/ scrollbar (2nd item is only partially shown) instead of in a row

Attachments:

Posted by: Prins Lionheart.3182

Prins Lionheart.3182

Just some additional feedback. I have been using the 64bit version for the last weeks. I do encounter the random keyboard issue. But that is it! The overall performance, I have to admit, is not bad at all. I manage a frame rate of between 30-40 fps. After some tuning and running most settings at “medium” and full screen. I am optimistic. The PoF try-out did work satisfactory.

I want to share the following. I have an iMac 27" late 2012 with 8gb of ram, 1gb of vram and 1tb HDD. A very clean MacOs High Sierra (without Adobe Flash, without Silverlight, without Office or other games). Just Apple plus GW2!

The 32 bit GW2 worked nicely. The cpu was always showing 180% (I assume 2 cores) and the fan was continuously running at maximum speed after 20 minutes of playtime. About 2 years ago I increased the ram to 24gb. No difference whatsoever. It is not used. The standard 8gb is enough. A month ago the HDD died. I replaced it with an SDD. At about the same time the 64bit GW2 arrived. My system now starts GW2 in seconds. The fan stays at low speed. My fan was running at full-speed not caused by CPU or GPU temperature; but caused by HDD temperature. The design of GW2 database probably causes “high frequency” disk access. (Not sequential)

My late 2012 is “under specified” but with the SDD it works nicely.

Posted by: bubblewrap.4987

bubblewrap.4987

Gamma doesn’t function and crashing in wvw about every half hour.

MacBook Pro (15 in Mid 2013)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Posted by: Hellchaos.7138

Hellchaos.7138

Sometimes, the game freeze (And I have the beach ball of death) so i need to kill the app

Posted by: blambidy.3216

blambidy.3216

idk what it is but for some reason the 32 bit just runs better. 64 bit is too laggy. And the loading in the 64 bit is way too long. I would have to run around for few minutes just to see all the buildings. I mean unless I dont have a good mac then you guys should say but its loading way too long. My mac is an i5 8gig mac mini but it does the job. And i think before it switched to iris 1536 graphics card it was a 4000 hd? Dont remember but no other game do I have problems with. I understand that its a bit test so its ok though. Im just waiting for the finished product. However compared to 32 bit graphics are bomb on the 64 bit. And the trading post is far better then the 32 bit.

Posted by: Moesmaker.9581

Moesmaker.9581

Since last week the new client runs rocksolid, no crashes or whatsoever. FPS is decent, round 40. I haven’t had the keyboard bug.

iMac mid 2017, 4,2 GHz, 8 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580 8GB

Kudos to the devs!

(edited by Moesmaker.9581)

Posted by: Moesmaker.9581

Moesmaker.9581

One addition: was playing in Snowden Drifts few minutes ago (ok, ok, not too crowded there, but still). Had FPS between 80 and 120. Very smooth.